Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos (32040 Views)

2023: I’ve Seen The Next President Of Nigeria – Babangida / Imoh Williams, LGA Chairman Suspended Over Assault On Man Who Called Him Out / Akan Imoh, 27-Year-Old Contesting For Lagos State House Of Assembly. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by almarthins(m): 5:54am On Dec 31, 2021
Saao:
Lol that guy said nonsense. 30% of lagosians are homeless.

Where u get the figure from? Do u av any idea of what 30% represent? Don't just sit behind ur keyboard n be spewing unverified figure. Abi u homeless too
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:55am On Dec 31, 2021
marenkurz:
Believe me, one has to be extremely useless to be homeless in any developed country.
They have options to free housing and food, and could get job.
That is so far from the truth but many of you are too drunk on whatever delusions you have of life to even see the truth if it stood in front of you. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 5:56am On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:

You are lying! I don't know what is wrong with some of you Nigerians. America is my second home. Lived in U.S longer than I ever lived in Nigeria or in Western Europe where I was born. There are more homeless people than there are homeless shelters. I should know because I used to volunteer in shelters in the United States. And no, the shelters don't take all homeless people in or help the homeless with jobs, health insurance, etc.

There are so many Americans who are not homeless and have no health insurance coverage how much more the homeless.

Also, not all homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental health issues. Some are regular folks who lost their jobs, could no longer make rent and found themselves on the street. Most Americans are only 1 paycheck away from ending up on the street.

REAL Americans tell the truth about their country America unlike African migrants like you who stay hyping other people's country more than your own. America is on a downward spiral. Americans know this and talk about it all the time but African migrants like you will come online to lie about a country that you don't even originally come from because many of you are so thirsty for validation from Nigerians in Nigeria and want Nigerians in Nigeria to worship your azz all because you reside in America.

So many Americans are running away from America and migrating to countries in South and Central America, Asia, Australia and to Africa. Yes, you heard me, AFRICA!

Keep hyping America and don't go and fix your homeland. As a Black African, you will always be looked down upon no matter where you live on earth until you develop your homeland. America is not your ancestral land. Go and develop your ancestral land in Nigeria Africa.

Record number of Nigerians are also fleeing Nigeria

Nigeria is also living in past glory, especially under this idiiot we have in Aso rock

If e sure for Europe or America
Let them open their borders for one week
Lets see how many will remain in Nigeria after three days cheesy grin
Forget story

This country is failed

9 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On Dec 31, 2021
Okonandmary:
This is true.
He is wrong though. There are approximately 24 million homeless people in Nigeria. That he hasn't seen them right there in Lagos where dem plenty means the man hasn't been looking at all. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 5:58am On Dec 31, 2021
Adakintroy:

What do you mean "ever succeding".

Speak for yourself. Stop making unessary generalizations.

That's the truth
Most Nigerians will NEVER succeed
Or even attain lower middle class status

There are ingredients needed to climb out of the hole
But for most Nigerians
They dont have access to it
Thats the fact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:59am On Dec 31, 2021
aycapri:
I hear this a lot
But it is yet another lie to delude folks into doing nothing about the 24 million homeless people right there in Nigeria. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by AndikanEssien(m): 6:00am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
I perfer living homeless abroad than Nigeria .

You're just ignorant

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:00am On Dec 31, 2021
Saao:
Lol that guy said nonsense. 30% of lagosians are homeless.
With over 24 million people homeless in the country, it wouldn't be shocking to learn that several of those millions are right there in Lagos. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:02am On Dec 31, 2021
ThatFairGuy1:
That's to tell, the deed is everywhere.

STOP BADMOUTHING NIGERIA you unpatriotic lot
Patriotism that praises government's continued ignorance of the fate of over 24 million Homeless Nigerians, abi? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:03am On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

It is the worst thing ever. You can literally die in the winter

This is not true. They force them indoors. Or you’ll be hearing of homeless frozen to death. There is homeless then there is mental illness and drug abuse. There’s no comparison between poverty in Lagos and “poverty” in US
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:06am On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
We all know that the United states is better than Nigeria but stop acting like everything is perfect in that country
there are lot of videos on YouTube of homelessness in the United states.
So stop trying to hype homeless people in the United states.
It is the worst thing ever. You can literally die in the winter
Everything is not perfect however it is nothing but arrogance and foolishness to compare the fate of about 750,000 homeless Americans , many of them with access to food stamp and health care, and shelters from even the harsh winter and summer weather, to that of over 24,000,000 homeless Nigerians many of who will die of hunger and thirst without zo much as a dime from government. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by zinaunreal(m): 6:07am On Dec 31, 2021
Theirs is not because they are poor oooo. Lots of them have psychological issues and feel they can't cope with the regularities of society .

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:08am On Dec 31, 2021
zinaunreal:
Theirs is not because they are poor oooo. Lots of them have psychological issues and feel they can't cope with the regularities of society .
Most of these folks on here don't even care of know the truth. undecided

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:08am On Dec 31, 2021
almarthins:

Where u get the figure from? Do u av any idea of what 30% represent? Don't just sit behind ur keyboard n be spewing unverified figure. Abi u homeless too

He’s right. See below. And these are real jobs with benefits. Not 100k a month jobs

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Osyxcel(m): 6:09am On Dec 31, 2021
What's the proportion of homeless to population in the US and in Nigeria? I can bet Nigeria's own is way higher.

It's also hard to believe that there are more homeless people in US than in Nigeria. Check under Obalende bridge, Oshodi bridge. Infact, check under all the bridges in Lagos. You'll marvel at the sheer number of people living under those bridge. What of shanties like Makoko? Even areas like VI that is more of a corporate environment, you'll see many homeless people there sleeping in the streets.

7 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by wiseoneking: 6:10am On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:

You are lying! I don't know what is wrong with some of you Nigerians. America is my second home. Lived in U.S longer than I ever lived in Nigeria or in Western Europe where I was born. There are more homeless people than there are homeless shelters. I should know because I used to volunteer in shelters in the United States. And no, the shelters don't take all homeless people in or help the homeless with jobs, health insurance, etc.
You are telling him to go back

There are so many Americans who are not homeless and have no health insurance coverage how much more the homeless.

Also, not all homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental health issues. Some are regular folks who lost their jobs, could no longer make rent and found themselves on the street. Most Americans are only 1 paycheck away from ending up on the street.

REAL Americans tell the truth about their country America unlike African migrants like you who stay hyping other people's country more than your own. America is on a downward spiral. Americans know this and talk about it all the time but African migrants like you will come online to lie about a country that you don't even originally come from because many of you are so thirsty for validation from Nigerians in Nigeria and want Nigerians in Nigeria to worship your azz all because you reside in America.

So many Americans are running away from America and migrating to countries in South and Central America, Asia, Australia and to Africa. Yes, you heard me, AFRICA!

Keep hyping America and don't go and fix your homeland. As a Black African, you will always be looked down upon no matter where you live on earth until you develop your homeland. America is not your ancestral land. Go and develop your ancestral land in Nigeria Africa.
. You are telling him that is lieing but your submissions are ridden with lies. I think I agree more to what he said than this half truth you just dished out. Moreover you are encouraging him to go and develop his ancestral land why you are letting us know how you were born in un named Western Europe country and spent most of your life out in the "shit hole". Note that thousands of Nairaland members are based in Europe and America and they know the truth. He's right by saying it is majorly by choice that most of them chose to be homeless instead of living in shelters. I have first hand info on these because I am involved in it through my Church and also through an organization I belong to. Most shelters do not accept support because they have what will take them for more than a year. Is a big lie which your readers know to say that people are moving out of America to Asia. Infact one out of any 20 Nigerians arrival in the US are coming from Europe esp the UK. The worst situation in the US is far better than the strong middle class in Nigeria. This is a country where the people classified as poor do have almost all the thing a very rich do have. The poor can still assess healthcare without insurance. There are thousands of organizations, groups, churches etc that assist in these areas of health bills, shelters, food stamps, food pantries etc. Immigrants in the United still have added to free healthcare and extremely slashed cost due to their status tankless of citizens.

5 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Adakintroy: 6:13am On Dec 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

That's the truth

But for most Nigerians
Thats the fact

But most Nigerians will despite the non availability of this ingredients. But we not talking middue class. We talking below poverty or poverty lines and succeding.
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Adakintroy: 6:13am On Dec 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

That's the truth

But for most Nigerians
Thats the fact

But most Nigerians will despite the non availability of this ingredients. But we not talking middle class. We talking below poverty or poverty lines and succeding.
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Danmisra(m): 6:14am On Dec 31, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:

He must have seen a large number for him to talk like that, na Naija man be that and he already automatically knows that Lagos has lots of people living there, mostly in their Face me I Slap you rooms grin grin
Pls leave these brainwashed people, they think everything the see in films and on the news is true of America. All their propaganda saying America is, place of freedom and the fancy life is half trues, America has ghettos, poor people and high tax rate but they will never show thses thing in their movies or news by their Media unless you read or watch some shows or interviews. Pls leave the illiterate alone or else they will make to start behaving like them

4 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:16am On Dec 31, 2021
marenkurz:
Homelessness in developed world is self inflicted. There are free government housing they can move in to. But because they can't abide by the rules of those housing, they stay on the street.
By the way, one has to be extremely useless to be out of the system.
. So the housing is UNLIMITED then? Please stop with the ridiculousness! undecided
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:18am On Dec 31, 2021
Putindbutt:

Stop talking like an idiot & spamming the forum with your beerparlour gists. Where is your fact?

30% is over 6million, that's twice or almost twice the population of some states.
Well, considering there are more than 24 million homeless people in Nigeria, what makes you think it isn't possible that 6 million of them are right there in Lagos? undecided
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
grin I know I'll read comment lyk this grin and I'm not disappointed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeStuffsNG: 6:24am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
Words are seeds. They bear fruits wink. You will get your wish someday and hopefully remember the day you made this wish wink

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:26am On Dec 31, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Words are seeds. They bear fruits wink. You will get your wish someday and hopefully remember the day you made this wish wink
Bullsheet! If words were what you claim I ought to have left this world a long arse time ago. undecided

Stop selling your fears as if life's nuggets. Allow the man speak his mind. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Abudu2000(m): 6:28am On Dec 31, 2021
KeenD:
Oga poverty is a thing of the mind. Anybody can be poor any way.
oga , proverty is lack of money in the bank account periodt

4 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by meccuno: 6:28am On Dec 31, 2021
ThatFairGuy1:
That's to tell, the deed is everywhere.

STOP BADMOUTHING NIGERIA you unpatriotic lot
Nigeria is a hopeless country
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Thanos5555: 6:29am On Dec 31, 2021
Ghostmode2two:
I have not been to NYC or USA so I won't argue with those who have been there. My question is can't they build small houses just as we do in Lagos? Get a small piece of land say maybe quarter or half plot of land and construct a self a two rom sef contain or 2 bedroom flat on it? Please forgive my ignorance if I have said something stupid because many quoters would like to come for my head on a silver's plate. Make una nor too provoke ooh bruhs

Loll. That is one of the confusions of this thread they can't define what is meant by homelessness

In Nigeria, you build zinc house or mud house and stay inside, in America you build according to Government standard and inspection, that why people are mostly tenants there, and when they can't pay, they end up sleeping on the street, and also thier tax stuffs and expenses are high, so ithey must be strict on spending, and if they have any bad habit(Alcohol, drug women), they will be seconds to getting homeless

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:29am On Dec 31, 2021
Danmisra:

Pls leave these brainwashed people, they think everything the see in films and on the news is true of America. All their propaganda saying America is, place of freedom and the fancy life is half trues, America has ghettos, poor people and high tax rate but they will never show thses thing in their movies or news by their Media unless you read or watch some shows or interviews. Pls leave the illiterate alone or else they will make to start behaving like them

Ok, let’s compare by numbers:
Every single man, woman, and child was given total $3000 cash for pandemic. Nigeria?
Covid tests are free for everyone. People are paid $100 in NY to get covid vaccines and $100 to get boosters. All these include the homeless.
Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:32am On Dec 31, 2021
Ghostmode2two:
I have not been to NYC or USA so I won't argue with those who have been there. My question is can't they build small houses just as we do in Lagos? Get a small piece of land say maybe quarter or half plot of land and construct a self a two rom sef contain or 2 bedroom flat on it? Please forgive my ignorance if I have said something stupid because many quoters would like to come for my head on a silver's plate. Make una nor too provoke ooh bruhs
To home how many of the over 750,000 homeless people in on the plot and self contained though? undecided

The problem is limited resources.... there are more people homeless- than there are resources to go around. How many 2 bedroom flats you wan build to house 750,000 people this year? How many more for others who later become homeless. undecided
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Benrosaria(m): 6:40am On Dec 31, 2021
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1410791/ive-seen-homeless-people-new-york-lagos-filmmaker-imoh-umoren/

Blacks really truly don’t still use the brains. The earth isn’t a class of rich and poor. It’s equal with every equality with its own purpose.

If you see homeless people in New York, it’s the immigrants who should be on their own country developing their lands but rather run away to land of milk and honey. If your dear country becomes any man’s idea of milk and honey then more homeless persons would be here (lagos) than Nigeria itself. Cause Nigeria is homeless to its citizens how much more.

But seriously this post made me laugh, normally you don see omo onile talk say hin no get house, Na even omo onile dey sell land, but coming to think that the same Lagos, this black lazy olofofo is homeless to its own omo onile and the New York is homeless to him and other fellow run away idiots, who decides to find the truth outside their own country, when the truth lies in their hands. I am sad being born

Nigerians still would be my top rated most educated illiterates.

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:43am On Dec 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
To home how many of the over 750,000 homeless people in on the plot and self contained though? ghostmode2two undecided

The problem is limited resources.... there are more people homeless- and there are resources to go around. How many 2 bedroom flats you wan build to house 750,000 people this year? How many more for others who later become homeless. undecided

Below are the New York homeless shelters we talking about. It comes with three meals a day and all sorts of services and benefits. Compare to that shack you’ll build.

1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by louqas: 6:44am On Dec 31, 2021
Saao:
I just did. Those that stays in kpako everywhere in lagos are homeless. Everywhere in lagos you will see kpako houses. You can't find that in U.S he only based his assumption with those people he saw.

Pako is far better than living in a cardboard box.... you forgot that NY is a very big city.....and expensive too....those homeless couldnt afford the rent and utilities. there are lots of empty homes also that people couldnt pay the rent....theres poverty everywhere. Lots of American are living on debts to battle their poverty....that was evident during pandemic....you see someone driving 2020 toyota (on loan) queuing for food packs.....can never happen in Nigeria.....

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Ambode, Mimiko At RCCG 64th Convention / This Will Be My Last Official Engagement, Buhari Bids Farewell To King Charles / Watch Ait Now!!! Massive Crowd At PDP Kano State Governorship Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.