Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages (15660 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by SoNature(m): 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf
kumulus
gbaskiboy

The language used to teach maths is not the problem, but understanding, remembering, and knowing how to implementing its endless laws. If not (of course, every topic has its rules), you won't find the subject difficult. Using local languages won't simply it.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by gazza07(m): 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2022
Who are u to tell me what to stop? Rie nsi
HellVictorinho3:

Stop this needless comparison!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by BRATISLAVA: 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
Truly mathematics is very important.

It's a pity many people seem to hate it.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
Mrphylor09:

When mathematics turn national assembly debate

Go and ask the Indian or chinese how they are being taught STEM subjects. That's why they exceptional when u meet any Asians that know such subjects

STEMS are not special..... the Indian or Chinese comparison is needless!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

It can't work because of the diversity in terms of language.

You say let everyone do it in his language........ how many classes will you have considering the population??

Can all exams happen without the use of a language barrier breaking language like English?

Can the knowledge of the subject even be applied in the absence of a language barrier breaking language like English??

Every state in Nigeria requires a language barrier breaking language like English!

English could still be maintained as the official language while STEM topics are explained in the local languages without changing the "term". Do you see what I mean sir? To get the concept well explained is the key
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2022
gazza07:
Who are u to tell me what to stop? Rie nsi

Carry your wahala go......if you like,compare Naija to Mercury!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Elidrisy20: 12:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
Is it going to solve Nigeria problems
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by gazza07(m): 12:35pm On Jan 01, 2022
I don't have wahala biko. I've got this huge right to my opinion and am solely responsible for my opinion.
You can't just came out from nowhere and start telling what to do and what not to do. Truth is butter shaa
HellVictorinho3:

Carry your wahala go......if you like,compare Naija to Mercury!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Jokerman(m): 12:35pm On Jan 01, 2022
Gkay1:
Each of the subject in Nigeria should have a local language teacher and inclusion of computer science from primary 3 onward.

With 20k per month salary Nigeria has not started...
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2022
Not just mathematics. Education should occur in the native language of the learner. That's when it becomes true education.

In 1962, there was a clear opportunity to solve this problem but Britain and the CIA deceived Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe. See how Britain, France, the CIA fooled Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe to destroy African languages in literature https://www.africason.com/2021/08/how-britain-deceived-soyinka-chinua.html

From then on, we entered a new form of slavery whereby we gave up our intellectual autonomy and preferred to be herded like cattle from one location to another by white scholarship. Now, we've grown so used to thinking that white people have already discovered everything and all we need to do is learn it. But that's intellectual slavery!!

Details in the book: intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonialism.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by SoNature(m): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2022
Exkandayee:

Yesooooh my brother, I'm from imo state but I no fit understand Ebonyi state,it can never work,accent is too strong

Trash.

There's a standard Igbo language everyone understands.

Stop making yeye excuses.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Jokerman(m): 12:38pm On Jan 01, 2022
4good:

What?! Mathematics useless? Capital no.
The statement is too shallow bros/sis.

Counting is the lowest, most basic part of mathematics. Next is simple addition, subtract, multiplication, division, etc.

Mathematics is the next most important subject after Language. It is the language of science which has brought all of the advance technology that have made our world such a beautiful place to live to today.

Without mathematics, the house you live in can not stand. What about invention of vehicles, guns, bulbs, determining the right proportion of chemicals in a drug, even fertilizers, manufacturing of farm machineries, war equipments, etc.

I could deduce from your assertion that you have been dealing with only few data and you are not really doing much of analysis. When you start analysing your income/expenses, measuring actual efforts against results in projects, projecting/predicting/analysing payroll, when you get to do serious data analysis, then you will appreciate Mathematics.

Mathematics is technology and technology is mathematics.

The world itself is Maths... God himself is a mathematician
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 12:38pm On Jan 01, 2022
SoNature:
Lukgaf
kumulus
gbaskiboy

The language used to teach maths is not the problem, but understanding, remembering, and knowing how to implementing its endless laws. If you understand the laws of maths (of course, every topic has its rules), you won't find the subject difficult. Using local languages won't simply it.

Explaining using local languages with take lesser time to understand, remember and knowing how to implement its endless law, baba
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Flier: 12:38pm On Jan 01, 2022
while using local language is the best,it’s not possible in a multi ethnic country like Nigeria
It will only cause more confusion
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by SoNature(m): 12:44pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

Explaining using local languages with take lesser time to understand, remember and knowing how to implement its endless law, baba

I don't believe this.
Maths is naturally difficult.
Some subjects are more difficult than others.
For instance, Maths is more difficult than commerce. Chemistry is more difficult than Economics.

There's always a yardstick for measuring the difficulty of everything. That's why the higher you go in school, the harder your subjects become. In the university, everyone chooses an area of speciality to further simplify learning.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Mrphylor09: 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

STEMS are not special..... the Indian or Chinese comparison is needless!

Needless to u ?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by TuFab(f): 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2022
I agree with him. In fact all subjects should be taught in our mother tongue and it should be our official language as well, not English everytime.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by famousroland(m): 12:48pm On Jan 01, 2022
What of English language? Lol
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by johnpablo541(m): 12:49pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

It only works in countries that have a general local language. Can Buhari even address the whole country in a local language and everyone gets to understand what he is saying.

Imagine the normal Nigerian secondary school setting, where some students are Igbos, some are Yorubas, a few Hausas, some Ibiboes and other tribes in one class. What local language will the Teacher use for communication.

Probably everyone will have to go back to school in their various indigenous communities for this to take place.

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by sparog(m): 12:54pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
Without doubts, you'd agree with me that many students preparing for STEM subjects at O'level and undergrad really found it challenging. One of the reasons is the way mathematics some of this topics are being taught. Another challenge is the use of complex terms to explain the concept. I still recall my experiences at High School smiley

I think I agree with this FUTA Professor, I think all science subjects we ran away from should be taught and explained in our mother's tongue.

What do you think guys?

https://tribuneonlineng.com/futa-don-recommends-use-of-nigerian-languages-in-teaching-of-mathematics/

This should be encouraged. This is one of the reasons why Asians are doing well technologically better than Africa. Most Asian countries all use their languages to teach the STEM courses.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

English could still be maintained as the official language while STEM topics are explained in the local languages without changing the "term". Do you see what I mean sir? To get the concept well explained is the key

Nah!

Nothing except English should be used for whatever reason in the presence of several people with several languages in Nigeria considering the time and resources to be conserved ....it would be abominable for the time and resources of innocent individuals to be wasted in the name of trying to achieve what is impossible considering the circumstances surrounding the attempt to carry out such an ambition ......... your ambition.

You will unavoidably waste the time and resources of several people by creating time and resource-wasting ways of ensuring as many people as possible get taught STEMS stuff or any other distinguished set of issues in as many local languages as possible without changing certain things ....... shouldn't you consider the consequences of the diversity amidst the population in carrying out such things ...... aren't you trying to solve a problem with a problem?.......if certain people struggle with the English language...... which is inevitable.....,does it mean wasting time and resources is necessary?

I think the right way of addressing the matter is for English to be taught more effectively....... but that doesn't mean there won't be people struggling with it.

The need of a language like English to be used as often as possible in the classrooms is inevitable.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2022
Mrphylor09:

Needless to u ?

The comparison is scum.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by descarado: 12:58pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes
Go to non English speaking countries, they use their languages. That way, your language won't die. People will understand better.
English isn't a borrowed language.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Aphrygian(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2022
4good:

What?! Mathematics useless? Capital no.
The statement is too shallow bros/sis.

Counting is the lowest, most basic part of mathematics. Next is simple addition, subtract, multiplication, division, etc.

Mathematics is the next most important subject after Language. It is the language of science which has brought all of the advance technology that have made our world such a beautiful place to live to today.

Without mathematics, the house you live in can not stand. What about invention of vehicles, guns, bulbs, determining the right proportion of chemicals in a drug, even fertilizers, manufacturing of farm machineries, war equipments, etc.

I could deduce from your assertion that you have been dealing with only few data and you are not really doing much of analysis. When you start analysing your income/expenses, measuring actual efforts against results in projects, projecting/predicting/analysing payroll, when you get to do serious data analysis, then you will appreciate Mathematics.

Mathematics is technology and technology is mathematics.
he forgot VARIANCE a mathematical expression used to determine variantions amongst biological organisms, MEANS nko? Can you even perform any meaningful biological research without SEPERATION OF MEANS?.
When Nigerians speak,we speak with uttermost level of illiteracy and we do it with confidence,cos if not so how will someone that is learned claim that mathematics that's even the basics of life not important
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2022
gazza07:
I don't have wahala biko. I've got this huge right to my opinion and am solely responsible for my opinion.
You can't just came out from nowhere and start telling what to do and what not to do. Truth is butter shaa

Truth is alomo .....abi,orijin...

Your comparison is your ogidiga.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by anochuko01(m): 1:01pm On Jan 01, 2022
kumulus:
I totally agree, each region should teach subjects in their own language and also have classes that teaches other languages (even foreign ones).

Where are the textbooks and other teaching resources to teach maths in local languages?
These things have to be in place and certified worthy first before we can start talking about the teaching part. And yeah, teachers have to be trained for that too!

These lazy professors should be championing such research and publications, but they prefer seating in their offices to collect salary, sell textbooks and demand money from ASUU.

These silly professors can't even be innovative with teaching maths with English the way they were taught! But this one is here clamouring for what's even more difficult.

You'll be surprised at the level of understanding students would get if you could simply use local case studies as examples during lectures, but they'll rather recycle questions found in foreign materials, questions you can't even relate with because you're unfamiliar with the terms and words used.

One could go on and on, but the bottom line is that this man isn't serious yet.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:

do you know there are alot of people from North for instance that can hardly speak hausa. i once met a girl in kaduna,she was born and raised there.

There'll be Yoruba schools in Kano.

There'll be Hausa schools in Lagos.

There'll be Igbo schools in other states.
etc.

That's when competition shall begin in the educational sector to see who'll produce the best scholars, scientists, doctors, economists in our native languages. You already site mosques and churches in all parts of Nigeria. We can do that in education too. By the way, this is the easiest hack to one-Nigeria.

Think, think, my brother come out of the box and think!!

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

There'll be Yoruba schools in Kano.

There'll be Hausa schools in Lagos.

There'll be Igbo schools in other states.
etc.

That's when competition shall begin in the educational sector to see who'll produce the best scholars, scientists, doctors, economists in our native languages. You already site mosques and churches in all parts of Nigeria. We can do that in education too. By the way, this is the easiest hack to one-Nigeria.

Think, think, my brother come out of the box and think!!

The creation of such schools won't help the spread of the understanding of English..... and that won't help the economy.......... this concept is based on useless comparisons.

Besides, how many Yoruba can speak Hausa, how many Hausa can speak Igbo.........,it goes on...

You can't use the same English they're struggling to understand...... which you're also trying to restrict....... to teach the local languages........ the idea is a waste of mental resources.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 1:18pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

The creation of such schools won't help the spread of the understanding of English..... and that won't help the economy.......... this concept is based on useless comparisons.

You don't have to comment on threads you don't understand what the issues are. The professor has already identified your English as the very problem hindering the understanding of STEM in our schools. This thread is about how to get it done, not to reinforce it.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 01, 2022
I've said this in the past. This is why the Yoruba are more brilliant. They use their mother tongue to teach the students almost all subject. Even the teachers can't speak fluent English without the use of Yoruba. If assuming pidgin English was use to impact academic learning into me at Teen, I swear, I know math won't be my challenge either. The Chinese uses Chinese language, while we use big big vocab for a simple expression. Not funny though!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

You don't have to comment on threads you don't understand what the issues are. The professor has already identified your English as the very problem hindering the understanding of STEM in our schools. This thread is about how to get it done, not to reinforce it.

Your so-called understanding will not help the economy...... it's not everyone that can't do STEMS with English..... if XYZ doesn't understand English , let XYZ learn it and learn STEMS with it.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 01, 2022
Flier:
while using local language is the best,it’s not possible in a multi ethnic country like Nigeria
It will only cause more confusion

It's not the best since it will cause more confusion......let musicwriter keep bragging about understanding as if English is new to the sun.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Federal Poly Nekede Post Utme 2012/2013 / 24 Photos That Will Reveal More Truth About This World / Governor Bello Closes All Schools In Zamfara Over Kidnapping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.