Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,801 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages (15714 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

Ok. Let me know the thing you think is impossible.

The ambition of that professor can't work because even if you create Hausa schoois in Lagos,it doesn't mean you won't still have people struggling with STEMS.

My point is there's nothing that can stop you from having SOME people that can't learn XYZ stuff
with or without the use of English and that means the exercise will end up a waste of time and resources......... it's inevitable for a language barrier breaking language like English to be indispensable to the co-existence of the states in Nigeria where you have several people with several languages.

Indispensable meaning it must be taught in all classrooms.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Sheriman(m): 5:57pm On Jan 01, 2022
shantti:
This will be very difficult to implement. For instance in my language, igbo, Many mathematical terms have no Igbo equivalent.
How will you say indices, logarithm, binary number, Laplace transform, simultaneous equation, quadratic equation, circle geometry in igbo
Hmmm, another angle my guy!! you making sense bro. This thing will be difficult to achieve in Nigeria ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by ChiefS(m): 6:08pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
Without doubts, you'd agree with me that many students preparing for STEM subjects at O'level and undergrad really found it challenging. One of the reasons is the way mathematics some of this topics are being taught. Another challenge is the use of complex terms to explain the concept. I still recall my experiences at High School smiley

I think I agree with this FUTA Professor, I think all science subjects we ran away from should be taught and explained in our mother's tongue.

What do you think guys?

https://tribuneonlineng.com/futa-don-recommends-use-of-nigerian-languages-in-teaching-of-mathematics/
This will create unnecessary confusion. What happens to a child who is being taught mathematics in Yoruba and has to relocate to Akwa Ibom where mathematics is taught in Efik?

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by berepiki(m): 6:18pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
Without doubts, you'd agree with me that many students preparing for STEM subjects at O'level and undergrad really found it challenging. One of the reasons is the way mathematics some of this topics are being taught. Another challenge is the use of complex terms to explain the concept. I still recall my experiences at High School smiley

I think I agree with this FUTA Professor, I think all science subjects we ran away from should be taught and explained in our mother's tongue.

What do you think guys?

https://tribuneonlineng.com/futa-don-recommends-use-of-nigerian-languages-in-teaching-of-mathematics/
So true

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by derecho(m): 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2022
I watched a little about chi-square...I didn't know when I started laughing o.He tried but there's need to break everything down...Talking about "relationship" and "excel" etc makes it look like a mere interpretation and not teaching.

Nice job
Lukgaf:
My quick research also shows that this effort is even ongoing on Nairaland. There is a thread on Education section called

"Learn O'level And Undergrad Mathematics In Yoruba" where various STEM topics taught in some of these Nigeria languages such as Yoruba are being uploaded.

You might want to check here:

https://www.nairaland.com/6831137/learn-olevel-undergrad-mathematics-yoruba#108978658

Statistical analyses made easy (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6_B-w9-04&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcnD3IyJQRGrzsJ3xhPDTgN

SSCE mathematics: from zero to Guru (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoA-IuQdhI&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXf8SEkUXGCtOtcIcnReMa48

Calculus in 5 minutes (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYXCZBH3aw&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcU3RgYcRykGj0XdJrmHaDS

Complex numbers the easy way (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXd4iE240ciW3KihZd509pXE

Others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSXNWNp1nEM4o2AbOgONZlQ/videos

In think we have to encourage more of this. To excel technically in Africa, we have to go this way!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by danietohbadt(m): 6:43pm On Jan 01, 2022
Gbenga2014:

Does language change the concept of solving the subject matter?

It's leads to nothing but confusion.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 6:52pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

The ambition of that professor can't work because even if you create Hausa schoois in Lagos,it doesn't mean you won't still have people struggling with STEMS.

My point is there's nothing that can stop you from having SOME people that can't learn XYZ stuff
with or without the use of English and that means the exercise will end up a waste of time and resources......... it's inevitable for a language barrier breaking language like English to be indispensable to the co-existence of the states in Nigeria where you have several people with several languages.

Indispensable meaning it must be taught in all classrooms.

Of course, English would still be studied in schools. The professor never said English should not be studied in Nigerian schools. English would still be studied but science subjects would be prioritized in our native languages.

If you ever wanted to be like Japan, Germany, China, Korea, Russia, that's the only way it could be done.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 6:52pm On Jan 01, 2022
derecho:
I watched a little about chi-square...I didn't know when I started laughing o.He tried but there's need to break everything down...Talking about "relationship" and "excel" etc makes it look like a mere interpretation and not teaching.

Nice job

Yes it is not about changing the content completely but explaining the concepts in the local language
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

Of course, English would still be studied in schools. The professor never said English should not be studied in Nigerian schools. English would still be studied but science subjects would be prioritized in our native languages.

If you ever wanted to be like Japan, Germany, China, Korea, Russia, that's the only way it could be done.

We don't have to be like Japan, Germany, China, Russia,etc

All that is required for economic development is a reduction in the cost of governance and the cost of contesting elections so that a better government can exist.... prioritizing XYZ in local languages is a waste of time and resources in Nigeria.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

Yes it is not about changing the content completely but explaining the concepts in the local language

It will be fruitless.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

We don't have to be like Japan, Germany, China, Russia,etc

All that is required for economic development is a reduction in the cost of governance and the cost of contesting elections so that a better government can exist.... prioritizing XYZ in local languages is a waste of time and resources in Nigeria.

You don't understand what this is about. That's all I can tell you.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

You don't understand what this is about. That's all I can tell you.

You don't know what to say anymore..... that's the truth.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 01, 2022
Sheriman:

Hmmm, another angle my guy!! you making sense bro. This thing will be difficult to achieve in Nigeria ooo

musicwriter and his people are deceiving themselves....... tell them to drop their shit .....they will say you don't understand.....in their minds,they have proven something..... addiction to vomit is evident.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes
The proponent of this trend is from the majority tribe.The poster up there is from the majority tribe hence what do you expect

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

These countries are homogeneous. What works for country A might not work for country B. Nigeria is heterogeneous to begin with hence the use of our languages in STEM is useless. The homogeneous countries speak and understand single language
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 11:17pm On Jan 01, 2022
Bobbyjay001:

That's not the point here bro. Teaching mathematics and other science subject in local language doesn't mean people won't understand and speak English language.

Doing this will make people understand more about the subject . At least notes and questions will be written in English. Only explanations should be done in native tongue.

This reminds me of Prof. Olopade of LASU, ECE department. He's a professor but explained mostly in Yoruba which made many of us enjoyed and passed his courses
Cut some slack here, the proponent is from a major speaking tribe in Nigeria. Aside that, Nigeria is heterogeneous country not homogeneous. A student taught in Yoruba, migrates to another state where he is taught in Efik or Tiv, do you expect him or her to perform well?. Many mathematical terms are borrowed from other languages which are difficult to translate in our local language. This project is dead on arrival
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 11:21pm On Jan 01, 2022
nextstep:

So what's the problem in teaching maths in each of the ethnic languages/groups? I mean, if you are in Kwara or Niger State, teach in Nupe... if in Delta, you can teach in Uhrobo or Igbo. Textbooks can be translated, as can exams, and other materials. Even the smaller ethnic groups have populations larger than some countries, so we have enough authors, teachers, and students to make it worthwhile.

We're not addressing the question of national assemblies, or even employment, but instead focusing on education in mother tongue - which is the point of this topic.
You teach in the aforementioned languages to the detriment of students migrating from other states ( especially kids whose parents who at the police force, army and among others)? .
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2022
pacino26:
It is rather unfortunate that the Bible and Quran were translated into various African languages but no book in science or engineering got translated into any native African language.

The Chinese, Japanese, Russians and other Bon English speaking countries teach sciences and arts in their own language.

It is about time we wake up.
The bible was translated to those languages however few persons use such bibles( translated versions).
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 12:11am On Jan 02, 2022
edoairways:

These countries are homogeneous. What works for country A might not work for country B. Nigeria is heterogeneous to begin with hence the use of our languages in STEM is useless. The homogeneous countries speak and understand single language

What a contradiction!!

Indeed, Nigeria is a heterogeneous society!! How can we be a "heterogeneous" society according to you but you want a homogeneous system of education like Japan?

There'll be Yoruba schools in Kano.

There'll be Hausa schools in Lagos.

There'll be Igbo schools in other states.
etc.

It would cater for our diversity and that's when the diversity would make sense because it would be natural. The way Nigeria exists today is not the only way it can exist or should exist. So many things could be finetuned to work better.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by flamingREED(m): 1:18am On Jan 02, 2022
Imagine teaching integration in your mother tongue.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Flairoqy(m): 1:27am On Jan 02, 2022
Skyfornia:
Misplaced priority
At this junction, we shouldn’t have one priority.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by engrchykae(m): 4:24am On Jan 02, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes
then teach in pidgin English.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 5:53am On Jan 02, 2022
edoairways:

The proponent of this trend is from the majority tribe.The poster up there is from the majority tribe hence what do you expect

u are right
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 5:56am On Jan 02, 2022
flamingREED:
Imagine teaching integration in your mother tongue.

Yes. That would make sense..if you are a Yoruba, watch how integration is explained in Yoruba here to see what I mean

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcU3RgYcRykGj0XdJrmHaDS
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Prolific007(m): 7:14am On Jan 02, 2022
Pigin language should be the ideal language used to teach maths if possible all subjects and courses

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 02, 2022
Lukgaf:

Yes. That would make sense..if you are a Yoruba, watch how integration is explained in Yoruba here to see what I mean

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcU3RgYcRykGj0XdJrmHaDS

This thing can't work....... you and musicwriter are dreaming.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 9:36am On Jan 02, 2022
musicwriter:

What a contradiction!!

Indeed, Nigeria is a heterogeneous society!! How can we be a "heterogeneous" society according to you but you want a homogeneous system of education like Japan?

There'll be Yoruba schools in Kano.

There'll be Hausa schools in Lagos.

There'll be Igbo schools in other states.
etc.

It would cater for our diversity and that's when the diversity would make sense because it would be natural. The way Nigeria exists today is not the only way it can exist or should exist. So many things could be finetuned to work better.
Let me make easy for you, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are not the only tribes in Nigeria. You teach a kid Chemistry in Yoruba, he migrates to Edo to learn another thing entirely
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 10:01am On Jan 02, 2022
edoairways:

Let me make easy for you, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are not the only tribes in Nigeria. You teach a kid Chemistry in Yoruba, he migrates to Edo to learn another thing entirely

Of course, there'll be Yoruba schools in Edo as well and in all other states in Nigeria. The student would continue studying chemistry in Yoruba language in Edo undisrupted.

When will you people get it?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by smd(m): 1:05pm On Jan 02, 2022
The benefits of teaching students some subjects in Yoruba is far far more than all those reasons you are raising against it. All I know the end will surely justify the means.
You can conduct your own personal research.
Most of the developed nations use their native language to teach.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by SilasIBB: 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2022
Nice.

God's Working
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2022
edoairways:

It's of no use..... that guy is Hell-bent on deceiving himself.

I can easily say Nigerians should stop eating rice but musicwriter doesn't understand so he speaks against it.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 8:41pm On Jan 02, 2022
musicwriter:

Of course, there'll be Yoruba schools in Edo as well and in all other states in Nigeria. The student would continue studying chemistry in Yoruba language in Edo undisrupted.

When will you people get it?
Yoruba taught in Edo schools , I laugh in Swahili grin grin grin. Schools that they taught Wazobia years back had to allocate their teachers to other subjects since the students were not performing well in those languages. Aside this, the minorities will not give in for adoption of a major tribe. The small peace wen we dey enjoy, make we manage am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinedu Iheanatu-Geoffrey Is Oxford University Best Finance Law Student / When Is Aaua { Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko Akungba} Post Ume Coming Up / How To Prepare For Jamb, Post-utme And Others Using A Mobile Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.