Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages (15717 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 8:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
smd:
The benefits of teaching students some subjects in Yoruba is far far more than all those reasons you are raising against it. All I know the end will surely justify the means.
You can conduct your own personal research.
Most of the developed nations use their native language to teach.
The problem with some Nigerians especially those for the major tribe, is selfishness. They don't consider other tribes yet they clamour for one Nigeria
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

The ambition of that professor can't work because even if you create Hausa schoois in Lagos,it doesn't mean you won't still have people struggling with STEMS.

My point is there's nothing that can stop you from having SOME people that can't learn XYZ stuff
with or without the use of English and that means the exercise will end up a waste of time and resources......... it's inevitable for a language barrier breaking language like English to be indispensable to the co-existence of the states in Nigeria where you have several people with several languages.

Indispensable meaning it must be taught in all classrooms.
Tell am oh.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 9:00pm On Jan 02, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
My students understand mathematics better when I explain to them in Yoruba. Sometimes I do code switching.
That your student understand it better doesn't mean others from other schools or state do. That professor didn't research well, he just draw his conclusion based on a small sample from a major tribe. He didn't consider other factors such heterogeneity and diversity of Nigeria. Possibly of migration of student from one state to another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Kfed4ril(m): 9:34pm On Jan 02, 2022
Lukgaf:

Well I think each region can choose their major languages e.g Northern can choose Hausa, South West Yoruba and South East, Igbo. Those concepts can just be explained in these languages without changing the English terms. You see what I mean Sir?

SS nko?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2022
edoairways:

Yoruba taught in Edo schools , I laugh in Swahili grin grin grin. Schools that they taught Wazobia years back had to allocate their teachers to other subjects since the students were not performing well in those languages. Aside this, the minorities will not give in for adoption of a major tribe. The small peace wen we dey enjoy, make we manage am

For any such paradigm shift, it's expected there'll be some sort of disorientation for a couple of semesters. That's because the students have to pass through some period of re-orientation back to our African self. This already happened during the days of colonialism when we moved from learning in our native languages to learning in English. In the book: how Europe underdeveloped Africa, the author Walter Rodney talked about that towards the end of the book. Africans lost their minds from then on till this very day. What we're talking about is how to re-claim our African consciousness because we're not English people. We are Africans!!

A homogeneous Nigerian society is not possible because the constituents that make up Nigeria are different nationalities forcing ourselves to be one instead of being true to ourselves and living heterogeneously. That amounts to a war against nature!! Here's what you need to know: you can't fight a war against nature and win.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 11:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
I am very sure there will be a general local language there also.

Kfed4ril:

SS nko?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Kfed4ril(m): 12:43am On Jan 03, 2022
Lukgaf:
I am very sure there will be a general local language there also.

They only local language in SS is pidgin
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 03, 2022
edoairways:

That your student understand it better doesn't mean others from other schools or state do. That professor didn't research well, he just draw his conclusion based on a small sample from a major tribe. He didn't consider other factors such heterogeneity and diversity of Nigeria. Possibly of migration of student from one state to another.

That guy has been brainwashed ........ into a confused state..... it's of no use .... he's a waste of time.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 03, 2022
Kfed4ril:

Those guys are addicted to sewage..... don't bother to explain anything else to them.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 03, 2022
Lordbinsmar:

Mr Emeritus Proffesor, since you understand research methodology than a Professor in his choosen field. Carry out your own research.

A professor..... meaning he has no limit...

To hell with your worst!!!!!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 03, 2022
edoairways:

The problem with some Nigerians especially those for the major tribe, is selfishness. They don't consider other tribes yet they clamour for one Nigeria

That professor is deceiving himself!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Lukgaf(m): 6:41am On Jan 03, 2022
Kfed4ril:

Yea, if many students understand pidgin, then they should use also
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 03, 2022
Lukgaf:

Yea, if many students understand pidgin, then they should use also

Still doesn't make the ambition reasonable
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by nextstep(m): 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2022
edoairways:

You teach in the aforementioned languages to the detriment of students migrating from other states ( especially kids whose parents who at the police force, army and among others)? .

You make a good point. However, I still think there's room for both approaches, and parents can choose which to send their child to. I don't think the solution should always be throw up our hands and say: "let's just teach in the colonial language"... that has to end at some point in our timeline as a country.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 9:39am On Jan 04, 2022
musicwriter:

For any such paradigm shift, it's expected there'll be some sort of disorientation for a couple of semesters. That's because the students have to pass through some period of re-orientation back to our African self. This already happened during the days of colonialism when we moved from learning in our native languages to learning in English. In the book: how Europe underdeveloped Africa, the author Walter Rodney talked about that towards the end of the book. Africans lost their minds from then on till this very day. What we're talking about is how to re-claim our African consciousness because we're not English people. We are Africans!!

A homogeneous Nigerian society is not possible because the constituents that make up Nigeria are different nationalities forcing ourselves to be one instead of being true to ourselves and living heterogeneously. That amounts to a war against nature!! Here's what you need to know: you can't fight a war against nature and win.
Those clamouring for the bolded text are hypocrite. First they condemn English language yet they express themselves in English. They condemn western influence forgetting that it eroded some archaic practices.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 04, 2022
edoairways:

Those clamouring for the bolded text are hypocrite. First they condemn English language yet they express themselves in English. They condemn western influence forgetting that it eroded some archaic practices.

Bros, can you lend me money?

It's urgent.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 3:45pm On Jan 04, 2022
edoairways:

You and I have been enslaved with the English language. That's why. It's tragic that you don't even know it. As they say, "the best slave is the one that doesn't know he/she is a slave".

For your information, once upon a time, ENGLAND also spoke Greek, Latin, French when they were enslaved by Greece, Rome, and France, respectively. But today, they no longer do that because they've freed themselves.

Again, what we're talking about is how to re-claim our minds like England, so that you'll realize who you're. Wake up brother! Wake up!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 5:26am On Jan 05, 2022
musicwriter:

You and I have been enslaved with the English language. That's why. It's tragic that you don't even know it. As they say, "the best slave is the one that doesn't know he/she is a slave".

For your information, once upon a time, ENGLAND also spoke Greek, Latin, French when they were enslaved by Greece, Rome, and France, respectively. But today, they no longer do that because they've freed themselves.

Again, what we're talking about is how to re-claim our minds like England, so that you'll realize who you're. Wake up brother! Wake up!

You also know you're an asshole , right

Since you speak English , you should be ashamed of yourself......compare Nigeria to Jupiter ..... those guys in Jupiter once spoke 500 languages.....now they speak 34....
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 7:07am On Jan 05, 2022
musicwriter:

We should just let things remain the way they are or better still split the country.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 10:07am On Jan 05, 2022
edoairways:

We should just let things remain the way they are or better still split the country.

My brother, the whole thing at the background of the turmoil we have in this country is our not acknowledging the reality of our heterogeneity and working by it as opposed to our present disposition of not working by it, as if it doesn't exist. We cannot wish it away!! It's an up-hill task. It's like running on top of a mountain instead of running downwards.

Once we acknowledge our heterogeneity and work by it instead of working against it, we'll find peace because we'll agree to disagree and we'll create something that would work for us. This is the reason people are calling for restructuring. A restructured Nigeria would be more natural and it would attend to some of our problems. If nothing is done to acknowledge our heterogeneity, we'll end up in a second war as a nation.

Thank you
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Testimony1988(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2022
I disagree with him, rather teachers should try as much as possible to explain the steps very well for students to understand the concept, not everyone even know how to read and write in their dialect.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 3:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
musicwriter:

My brother, the whole thing at the background of the turmoil we have in this country is our not acknowledging the reality of our heterogeneity and working by it as opposed to our present disposition of not working by it, as if it doesn't exist. We cannot wish it away!! It's an up-hill task. It's like running on top of a mountain instead of running downwards.

Once we acknowledge our heterogeneity and work by it instead of working against it, we'll find peace because we'll agree to disagree and we'll create something that would work for us. This is the reason people are calling for restructuring. A restructured Nigeria would be more natural and it would attend to some of our problems. If nothing is done to acknowledge our heterogeneity, we'll end up in a second war as a nation.

Thank you
Those calling for restructure didn't consider the mode of communication.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 4:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
edoairways:

Those calling for restructure didn't consider the mode of communication.

You must be kidding me.

What happened to pidgin? What happened to the creole languages that already exist today among our native languages? As a matter of fact (though I don't recommend it) let me tell you something. The easiest way to achieve homogeneity in Nigeria is outlaw other languages and make pidgin the only language in Nigeria for everything. That's the common language every Nigerian can speak. Pidgin is actually our lingual franca in the true meaning of the word!!.

Of course, you'll laugh at the mention of pidgin, just because British people didn't bring it. If Britain brought us pidgin to Nigeria, we'll be falling on top of ourselves competing who'll speak the best pidgin........ a sad legacy of our slavery.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by edoairways: 6:20pm On Jan 05, 2022
musicwriter:

You must be kidding me.

What happened to pidgin? What happened to the creole languages that already exist today among our native languages? As a matter of fact (though I don't recommend it) let me tell you something. The easiest way to achieve homogeneity in Nigeria is outlaw other languages and make pidgin the only language in Nigeria for everything. That's the common language every Nigerian can speak. Pidgin is actually our lingual franca in the true meaning of the word!!.

Of course, you'll laugh at the mention of pidgin, just because British people didn't bring it. If Britain brought us pidgin to Nigeria, we'll be falling on top of ourselves competing who'll speak the best pidgin........ a sad legacy of our slavery.
I support Pidgin language with my full chest
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2022
edoairways:

I support Pidgin language with my full chest

Ok. But once you understand why it's impossible to implement that, you'll realize that our only realistic option is living heterogeneously as nature itself dictates.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 16, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
[s][/s]

Online idiot

Is this your worst?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2022
Testimony1988:
I disagree with him, rather teachers should try as much as possible to explain the steps very well for students to understand the concept, not everyone even know how to read and write in their dialect.

Teachers have limits!!

All over the world!!!

Same with students!!!

Teach musicwriter that one..... and the one you posted....all join.... even Pidgin no fit solve this one....edoairways....come and chi chomtin!!!!
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Testimony1988(m): 3:45pm On Jan 16, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

Teachers have limits!!

Us
All over the world!!!

Same with students!!!

Teach musicwriter that one..... and the one you posted....all join.... even Pidgin no fit solve this one....edoairways....come and chi chomtin!!!!
lolz.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Is Aaua { Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko Akungba} Post Ume Coming Up / How To Prepare For Jamb, Post-utme And Others Using A Mobile Phone / I Became Poor To Establish University - Afe Babalola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.