Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land (719 Views)

I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) / Germany To Deport 14,000 Nigerians; FG Gives Condition / Landlocked Joburg Opens Africa's Largest Made-Made "Mega Beach" (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by NAIJASTANDARD71: 1:55am On Jan 06, 2022
Special Report after 10 months Investigation:
Survival inside MAKOKO: Africa’s largest fishing village where 400,000 Nigerians live on water, land
…Children attend school on floating river, Slum has little access to electricity or clean sanitation

*Every 15 households share communal latrines, as excreta, kitchen waste and polythene bags go straight into the water
*Community speak in ‘Egun’ language traceable to descendants of Benin republic and Badagry-a coastal town in Lagos State
http://nigeriastandardnewspaper.com/ng/special-report-after-10-months-investigation-survival-inside-makoko-africas-largest-fishing-village-where-400000-nigerians-live-on-water-land-children-attend-school-on-floating-r/

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by NAIJASTANDARD71: 1:55am On Jan 06, 2022
Which way Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by ednut1(m): 2:01am On Jan 06, 2022
every year we must see at least 10 reports about this place. Truth is it will be demolished one day.
Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by blaquebelle: 2:05am On Jan 06, 2022
God help me, when I make it in life. I will put in efforts to clean that water, refurbish the buildings, turn it into the Venice of Africa and build a large floating resort as well.

Amen

4 Likes

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by WhatIf: 2:45am On Jan 06, 2022
blaquebelle:
God help me, when I make it in life. I will put in efforts to clean that water, refurbish the buildings, turn it into the Venice of Africa and build a large floating resort as well.

Amen

Amen

2 Likes

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by Greyworld: 4:30am On Jan 06, 2022
blaquebelle:

Amen
You see this thing you just said, a sensible government would av done it along time ago. In fact rich folks would be scrambling to live there.

There are places like that not just Venice, Girthoorn in Netherlands.

2 Likes

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by Wawelexy(m): 5:04am On Jan 06, 2022
The truth is, 75% of people living there love it that way.... Even if government tries to demolish it, majority of them would grumble....

They that live in it sees it as ghetto lifestyle, while some who don't live there see it as a tourist centre...

There re children who grew up drinking and bathing with that water, nothing happened to them....

But if I were to be the Governor of Lagos (that's if it's not a federal site), I would demolish, rebuild and then lease it out to those who were living there before at a reasonable and affordable price.....

1 Like

Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by habeeb246(m): 5:17am On Jan 06, 2022
Damm
Re: Inside MAKOKO: Africa’s Largest Slum Of 400,000 Nigerians Living On Water, Land by DaniDani(m): 6:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Something Tinubu would developed and save his people the agony and misery but he chose to pack the money in van.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Russians Waec & Neco Legalization. / Please How Much Will It Cost Me To Travel To Dubai. / My Montreal Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.