Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience (45725 Views)

How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo) / Passenger Forgets Money In Uyo In Keke Napep In Akwa Ibom State. Photo / Keke NAPEP In Benin City Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ayindejimmy(m): 12:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

Both foo.ls and intelligent people are born everyday. They all grow up and they all die. Even your community is made up of the wise and food.ls. So because of that, it doesn't matter whether you're wise or not. Abi? That a lot of people invest in it doesn't mean it is good. There's something called the "foolish majority." You don't do business based on sentiment or emotion. I'm not a business consultant. But I only want intelligent people to learn from my experience. The rest can follow their eyes

The fact that you failed at a business doesn't mean others that are success driven can't or didn't succeed.
No one knows it all

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by usah4(m): 12:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Useless analysis and a poor rebuttal of the original thread. I have seen people use their keke for 6 years and still sound, I have also seen people open shops with huge capital only for it to be looted or mismanaged.

Read the last Paragraph very well please.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ConsciousMan01: 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:
Opened this thread partly to respond to a thread I read on front page https://www.nairaland.com/6929052/how-started-tricycle-keke-business and partly to educate those who run into a business based on hearsay.

Before I go into the main thing, let me ease your mental stress a bit. According to the guy on that thread and the analysis of many people I have read on this platform, you can save just 5000 daily, that should give you about 150k/month and 1.8 million annually. But come to think of it, how many keke operators do you see living in a good apartment? With annual net income of about 1.8 million, one should be able to afford a semi decent home; fairly nice dresses and send his children to fairly good schools. After all you can hardly see a civil servant that saves up to 150k monthly yet they live more decent life than keke riders. Why? Before I answe this question, let me say that, although I'm not sure, the OP of that thread is still new in that business; he hasn't stayed up to a year. So at the right time he will come and edit that thread.

The truth about keke business
1st scenerio: fairly used keke...
There are two major reasons why people sell their used keke.
1. The keke is faulty. Most riders have very bad maintenance culture especially those who started their keke with brand new one. They feel the machine will remain sound inspite of their abuse until it down on them that great damage has been done on the machine, they put it up for sell. If you're the unlucky buyer that would be moved by the deceptive statement "five months old", sorry will become your name.

2. The owner is having issues with the operator. The owner might just decide to sell off so as not to loose out completely. In this case, the maintenance history of the machine cannot be guaranteed because in most cases, the operator see it coming and is more concerned about how much he can make before the owner seizes it.

Whichever is the case with the keke you're buying as second hand, you're 85% probably going to suffer in the hands of mechanics just few months after purchase. You will spend the little you have saved fixing the keke and will likely spend a lot of time in mechanic workshop making it hard for you to be able to save more. After one year, instead of the 1.8 million you're have calculated initially, you might just be VERY LUCKY to see 300k. In fact this is one of the realities why keke operators can't afford fairly decent life for their family.

2nd scenerio: new keke...
If you want to get a new keke now, just budget 1 million naira. At the start you'll be making a lot of money because passengers prefer to board clean keke. Because of how much you're making, as a real niggar, you will want to love-vendor your ride so that it will become more appealing and exquisite; the satisfaction you feel while blasting jams filter into the air from your keke... you can work from morning till night without getting tired because your ride is soft... you start paying all your bills without any issue... Hardly will you realize how quickly the machine is detoriating.

The reality will set in when your engine start shorting oil. After sometime you're asked to change your piston and ring. That is the genesis of a downward spiral in your financial life.

There are two very important things everyone should know. First, the lifespan tricycle is short. Remember that keke doesn't have radiator yet many of them are three cylinder. If you're serious minded, just give your keke 6 months, maximum one year, before you replace it. Secondly, every other business appreciates while keke depreciate. From the day you bought it, it starts depreciating till you need another 1milion to buy another one. But the shocking reality is that most people can't raise that money when they need to replace it. The reason is that, the death of their machine normally comes at a time they don't expect it, and they try to maintain the old one with their savings thinking that they can use it to raise more money.

If you spent 1 million naira opening, let's say, a provision store, after one year you would be surprised how big it has grown because it grows daily. But the pain of coughing out the equivalent of your initial capital once a while just to remain in business is not easy.

Conclusion.
If you want to start a keke business just to keep yourself busy for the meantime, go ahead. But please instead of buying new keke, invest the money in a business that has growth prospect. I've not talked about how often you will scratch somebody's car and you're asked to repay it; how many times the authorities will impound your machine; God forbid you involve in accident... Everything I wrote is based on experience.

Lol!! the points you stated are all the same, if that's all what you've got to point at then they are baseless!! cos what I see in you is a man who is scared of challenges!! The best way to get the best out of your business is to make plans ahead of possible challenges.. any sane person in a profitable business knows he/she needs to be prudent in spending, and make plans for unforseen circumstances..there is something called EMERGENCY FUNDS which few business owners knows or care about, and it's used for cases like this, but all what you are after is the profit and not the challenges involved..

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Enyimbamercedes: 12:49pm On Jan 13, 2022
If you run your keke business by yourself and stick to a strict maintenance schedule, there is no reason why a keke business should not be lucrative.

2 killers are giving your keke to an operator who will flog your machine to death to fill his pocket and make your daily delivery and poor maintenance.

We feel cos it is a keke it should be serviced with “measure” oil, the base oils sold in soft drink bottles. This is the major killer of the engines.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Matheusmartin: 12:49pm On Jan 13, 2022
cherryCola:

Because 90% of them are working for someone.

Food for your brain lipsrsealed .

where did you get your stats from?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Mrquote: 12:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
I think if you want to make money through Keke, tey high purchase system.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Oldmansense(m): 12:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
saintruky:

I very much agree with u... But first it's best to ask d op if he actually rode d keke himself n which state or city did he operate....
Don't ask op come and ask me. Don't criticize what you have never tried delegently. I live in an estate here with my Keke. Lemme burst your bubble...my friend that i assisted in getting an apartment in my compound owns up to 30 units of keke. Right now he owns a spare parts shop for Keke and succeeded in buying the undeveloped part of land remaining in my compound. Imagine a Keke rider buying land from former house of assembly member

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by hotseat: 12:52pm On Jan 13, 2022
The main thing is to discover where your destiny lie.

Most people dabble into areas not in line with their destiny.

This is the paradox of life!

Once you've stepped into your destiny, you're good to go!

If keke is not your calling in life, you're most likely going the wrong way even if you replace it every 3 months.

Where some fail others succeed and vice versa!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by dapolaw(m): 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
Point of correction, a civil servant earning 1.8m annually have access to other benefits. He has easy access to loans from commercial banks while a Keke rider does not.

So you need to consider this factor before the comparison.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by cherryCola: 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
Matheusmartin:
where did you get your stats from?
Because am currently managing an investment there for someone.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by IMASTEX: 12:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
Jecci:
One thing with Nigerians any business they hear is booming they will just rush into it without doing due research.
Same way they rush saturate POS business
You have said it all. The opportunities seam to be very tin, so any hearsay about a profiting venture, people rush in forgetting every business comes with pros & cons.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by muheeb01(m): 12:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
Not every business works for everybody....some will gain some will lost...so it's not totally condemnable,I've seen people do this same business building house and raising family with it...if you're responsible and spend wisely,it's still a good business

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Kobicove(m): 1:00pm On Jan 13, 2022
Dozie32:
Rearing cat fish is better than transportation business.

That's not true.

Just one mistake and all the fish will die off and you will loose your entire capital

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by uchennamani(m): 1:01pm On Jan 13, 2022
Digitallegendzx:
Both parties are on point...
No dear. This is OP is on point. The other guy isn't. Wait till you invest your money on keke, then the obvious would become clearer. Your eye go now open.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Greenback: 1:01pm On Jan 13, 2022
Meanwhile McOluomo will become richer from all your labour as well
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Galaxydon1(m): 1:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
I invested in Keke, but i regret it till date. He was doing well at first but after 4 months, everyday one complain or The other.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by lagosrd: 1:03pm On Jan 13, 2022
Digitallegendzx:
Both parties are on point...

Which parties, as far as we are concerned,there is only one party and that is this new tread. The other guy is inexperienced and just new. He didn't include cost of police and that of his health.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2022
All these been said is very similar to Bolt/Uber/Taxify business with Tokunbo or Naija used car.
uncleck:
Opened this thread partly to respond to a thread I read on front page https://www.nairaland.com/6929052/how-started-tricycle-keke-business and partly to educate those who run into a business based on hearsay.

Before I go into the main thing, let me ease your mental stress a bit. According to the guy on that thread and the analysis of many people I have read on this platform, you can save just 5000 daily, that should give you about 150k/month and 1.8 million annually. But come to think of it, how many keke operators do you see living in a good apartment? With annual net income of about 1.8 million, one should be able to afford a semi decent home; fairly nice dresses and send his children to fairly good schools. After all you can hardly see a civil servant that saves up to 150k monthly yet they live more decent life than keke riders. Why? Before I answe this question, let me say that, although I'm not sure, the OP of that thread is still new in that business; he hasn't stayed up to a year. So at the right time he will come and edit that thread.

1. The keke is faulty. Most riders have very bad maintenance culture especially those who started their keke with brand new one. They feel the machine will remain sound inspite of their abuse until it down on them that great damage has been done on the machine, they put it up for sell. If you're the unlucky buyer that would be moved by the deceptive statement "five months old", sorry will become your name.

2. The owner is having issues with the operator. The owner might just decide to sell off so as not to loose out completely. In this case, the maintenance history of the machine cannot be guaranteed because in most cases, the operator see it coming and is more concerned about how much he can make before the owner seizes it.

Whichever is the case with the keke you're buying as second hand, you're 85% probably going to suffer in the hands of mechanics just few months after purchase. You will spend the little you have saved fixing the keke and will likely spend a lot of time in mechanic workshop making it hard for you to be able to save more. After one year, instead of the 1.8 million you're have calculated initially, you might just be VERY LUCKY to see 300k. In fact this is one of the realities why keke operators can't afford fairly decent life for their family.

If you want to get a new keke now, just budget 1 million naira. At the start you'll be making a lot of money because passengers prefer to board clean keke. Because of how much you're making, as a real niggar, you will want to love-vendor your ride so that it will become more appealing and exquisite; the satisfaction you feel while blasting jams filter into the air from your keke... you can work from morning till night without getting tired because your ride is soft... you start paying all your bills without any issue... Hardly will you realize how quickly the machine is detoriating.

The reality will set in when your engine start shorting oil. After sometime you're asked to change your piston and ring. That is the genesis of a downward spiral in your financial life.

There are two very important things everyone should know. First, the lifespan tricycle is short. Remember that keke doesn't have radiator yet many of them are three cylinder. If you're serious minded, just give your keke 6 months, maximum one year, before you replace it. Secondly, every other business appreciates while keke depreciate. From the day you bought it, it starts depreciating till you need another 1milion to buy another one. But the shocking reality is that most people can't raise that money when they need to replace it. The reason is that, the death of their machine normally comes at a time they don't expect it, and they try to maintain the old one with their savings thinking that they can use it to raise more money.

If you spent 1 million naira opening, let's say, a provision store, after one year you would be surprised how big it has grown because it grows daily. But the pain of coughing out the equivalent of your initial capital once a while just to remain in business is not easy.

Conclusion.
If you want to start a keke business just to keep yourself busy for the meantime, go ahead. But please instead of buying new keke, invest the money in a business that has growth prospect. I've not talked about how often you will scratch somebody's car and you're asked to repay it; how many times the authorities will impound your machine; God forbid you involve in accident... Everything I wrote is based on experience.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by EdwardRandy(m): 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Life is risk, going by your analysis we should stop driving our cars since we can be involved in an accident and all money gone down the drain. What about refusing a taxi job because they can be snatched and drivers killed? Business is risk and if you don't have the balls to handle the risk go and look for a 8 to 5 job simple.
Even the 8 to 5 job no sure, your boss fit fire you anytime

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Kirkman: 1:10pm On Jan 13, 2022
SKINDOGGY:
Haha my sis just finish advising me right now make i no venture into am unless I get strength to dy shout
If you want to go into the business, operate/run it yourself don't give it to any useless driver that will be giving you stories everyday. Oga lastma dis, road safety that, machine spoil for road, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by 7pages(m): 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
fairly used car is still manageable than fairly used keke. I will never advise my enemy to buy fairly used keke and korope fairly used. the money you go spend on it to enjoy the keke or korope will even be close to getting new one

for someone that don't have enough power, fairly used car from a private user is your best to start transport business

If you've 400k to 500k use it to get a golf 3 and let me used it to pay you 600k- 700k within 2-3months with police agreement, court agreement, guarantors

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Rubby007: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

Conclusion.

Lols! Let us laff a bit have u ever had to spoon feed a mechanice for good three days just because u want he to help u fix ur keke?
Ur wife will ask of the keke u will have to lie cuz you yourself can't fathom the fact that u want to fix just ring an its taking a whole week. To potress your point hire purchase now is 1.5million which will take 2 good years to pay up how will that be possible? I don't know o

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2022
Nsiehi:
@OP, this your rebuttal post is not so on point. The other post mentioned an average of 80k per month after expenses like fueling, feeding and repairs and that one needs to acquire a sound machine to do well in the business. There are still many successful keke drivers out there. Every life endeavor has its ups and downs. For the provisions business, there is not much profit in it especially if the location is not a busy area. One sells with a profit margin between 1 and 10 Naira, you will still have to deal with thieves from time to time. If the shop is located in a rodent infested environment, sorry will be your name. One needs a lot of discipline to operate a provisions business otherwise you end up feeding your family with your wares.

There's no successful keke driver. All keke drivers are seriously struggling but they will not tell you.

Do you know how much government make off them through all these thugs littered along our roads?
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 13, 2022
If dem tell these people wetin dey inside transport, that guy was just telling eldorado stories.

Haha. I'm not saying he may not be saying the truth.

But how many people succeed in transport biz like Peace Mass Transit?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 13, 2022
Thanksful:

There's no successful keke driver. All keke drivers are seriously struggling but they will not tell you.

Do you know how much government make off them through all these thugs littered along our roads?

The only Keke driver that was faithful was finding it difficult to balance N10k per week as at 6 years ago.

The second driver was just a mugu, likes being chased about. 2 weeks owner won't see money or Keke.

All of them staying in Face me I face you.

Where is the N5k per day?

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 13, 2022
AlhajiBitcoin:

The only Keke driver that was faithful was finding it difficult to balance N10k per week as at 6 years ago.

The second driver was just a mugu, likes being chased about. 2 weeks owner won't see money or Keke.

All of them staying in Face me I face you.

Where is the N5k per day?

Nah spectators dey play ball pass those wey dey for pitch.

If a truthful keke driver tells you wetin him dey see for road. You go dey dash am free money.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ufotunang: 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2022
Oldmansense:

That may be true. But in this part of Nigeria, you only buy your daily work permit of 2h and 7500 riders permit sticker. Ensure you have a valid driver's licence and vehicle particulars. But if you want to work without licence and particulars, you will have to ply streets and avoid major roads where police and road Safety Mount road blocks
.... even if one has it's valid driver's license and vehicle particulars and show it to them they will still want to collect money from the person....the hard economy also affects police and FRSC...so it's a means of survival
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Olumaeme: 1:30pm On Jan 13, 2022
I have heard first hand experience from my friend.

He bought a second hand one in Abuja, the thing almost killed his finances. He put it on sale after just 3 months at a giveaway price.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Sheriman(m): 1:31pm On Jan 13, 2022
Jecci:
One thing with Nigerians any business they hear is booming they will just rush into it without doing due research.
Same way they rush saturate POS business
My brother you no lie at all, Nigerians will want to do every business without proper research and considering some essential factor attached to it. They saturated Keke driving they saturated POS they Saturated Gas filling they saturated everything.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by jaxxy(m): 1:32pm On Jan 13, 2022
Abilistic:
You should have shared your experience without rebuttal attack on the previous thread.
Nothing worthwhile can be achieved without taking a sizable risk.
Taking a risk to achieve a goal requires courage to face the fear of uncertainty. No matter the outcome, either way, we grow through the process and become more resilient and confident.

The business doesn’t seem to grow or multiply itself over time and that is a huge concern of any of business or investments.

It’s like doing a small business in an shopping complex with expensive rent. U can’t grow cos the rent won’t let u sustain the business.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by 24brains(m): 1:38pm On Jan 13, 2022
cherryCola:

Because 90% of them are working for someone.

Food for your brain lipsrsealed .
plain truth. The business is lucrative if not on a higher purchase. A keke rider can boast of 5k earnings daily. If disciplined and has money management attitude, save 3k out of the 5k, he would be doing well.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by uncleck: 1:41pm On Jan 13, 2022
Rubby007:

Lols! Let us laff a bit have u ever had to spoon feed a mechanice for good three days just because u want he to help u fix ur keke?
Ur wife will ask of the keke u will have to lie cuz you yourself can't fathom the fact that u want to fix just ring an its taking a whole week. To potress your point hire purchase now is 1.5million which will take 2 good years to pay up how will that be possible? I don't know o
Some people are here shouting "I Know of a man..." Lol. I've said my own. Experience is the best teacher. Those who still believe in fairytale can go ahead and invest, I'm no more replying their numerous mention.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us / Suspected Ritualist Causes Serious Accident Driving One Way (Video) / Man's Car Crashes Into A Range Rover, He Survives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.