Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,208 members, 7,836,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience (45721 Views)

How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo) / Passenger Forgets Money In Uyo In Keke Napep In Akwa Ibom State. Photo / Keke NAPEP In Benin City Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by neighbourhud: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

Second hand keke will make you think your village people are after you
Not that they are after you... you'll actually think they are sitting on you cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by newoffer: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
I will not do a business agbero, police ,lastma,Vio will extort money from me.
tuclap:
My friend bought a second hand keke late last year (october) here in kano. And a week ago he has put the keke for sale. Reason is that; there is no week he doesnt take the keke to mechanic
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Tiana09(f): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
Using Second hand keke for business can make you feel like you offended someone in your previous life.
I knew a guy around my area, sometimes last year after collecting his contributions invested the money in buying second hand keke. Few months into the business he was always in and out of the mechanic workshop. All the money he manages to earn was eventually spent on maintaining the keke. Let’s not even open the chapter of buying tickets and unnecessary charges for operation.
Long story short he ended up selling it at a low price before keke gives him high blood pressure ..
Some people still make money from it though...but....

Transact with ease online with sellers and buyers all over Nigeria using Slash Escrow Service.

You can now make use of www./escrow to secure all your transactions online.
The slash escrow Service is very easy to use and reliable.
See www./escrow to start now.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Bouncin(m): 1:47pm On Jan 13, 2022
Op, you are not entirely correct even though you made some valid points.
First, not all second hand Keke are trouble some. There are reasons people sell Keke.
1. To change business. Keke business is basically to generate money and do other businesses. Just like driving taxi. No one wants to be a taxi driver for life. So once serious minded Keke riders hit the money they need, which often comes very fast, they sell it and either change business or buy another new one.
2. Issues with balancing: some people buy Keke and give to others to ride either on high purchase or balancing. Some greedy drivers will be making the money but will intentionally not pay the owner, especially those not on high purchase. When they frustrate the owner so much he will put up for sale out of annoyance.
Either ways most times the Keke will still be in a very good shape, so if you are lucky to get this kind of second hand Keke for cheap price, you are blessed.
3. Faulty Keke: the 3rd reason for selling Keke is if the Keke is faulty. This is where you have serious issues if you are the unlucky buyer. And that's why you should always go with someone, best, a Keke mechanic to help you buy your second hand Keke.
The truth is Keke business is a very good one and I will advice any young guy out there to try it. If you go into the business with positive mindset you will make so much money to start up a biger business as you don't pray to be a Keke driver for life.
Talking about how most Keke drivers don't live the life you expect of them, may i tell you that more than 60% of Keke drivers are not actually driving their own Keke but other people's.
The average daily profit from Keke is 5k. And if the Keke is not yours, you are to pay 2.5k to 3k daily to the owner, leaving you with say 2k for yourself or 2.5k, so how will you live big. And for those that have their own Keke, you may not see them living big because they are in a fast saving mood. Many of them have targets they have set for themselves. I have a friend that makes sure he keeps at least 20k per week pure savings. He hardly defaults this and he is still living good.
Another issue is that a good number of Keke drivers live rascal kind of life, they smoke, drink and womanize just like bus drivers. Keke money comes daily and if you are not discipline enough you tend to eat it as it comes knowing fully well another will come tomorrow, so without discipline you won't make headway. Also note that smoking,drinking and womanizing are individual thing.
It's true price of new Keke has skyrocketed, but even at that you will still make your money. You can get the 900k of your new Keke in 6months if you are serious and your Keke will still look untouched with proper maintenance.
With a new Keke, you won't even know who a Keke mechanic is till after 1yr. Don't forget the average life span of a Keke is 3yrs. So if you drive a Keke for one yr some moths as the owner, you will make enough money should you decide to sell it, you will still sell it a good amount.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Sheriman(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2022
Shoodboi:

Thanks for showing us the truth. The way these guys hype transport business is something else.

When you point out the fact that those in the business would be living well if it was that lucrative, they would tell you drivers and riders are illiterates who spend their money on women and alcohol.

I wanted to go into it some time ago (and give the keke out on hire purchase) but changed my mind after discovering a few of the underlying issues in the business.

I didn't even know most of the ones you mentioned here, but the ease with which they steal that thing is insane. They're very easy to steal.

Not to talk about the security agents, council, agbero & everyone extorting you.

You brush motor, wahala. Motor brush you, another wahala.

And they don't last at all. They're just thin pieces of aluminum. Even wind can blow them off.
All those Keke are fake with short life span. Those clueless aboki people at Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) whey supposed dey check the durability and ruggedness of that machine but does not know anything about mechanical automobile engine. That is why those manufacturing company are producing fake Keke and importing them to Nigeria selling them at a very high prices. Buying Ordinary Keke for 1.5million Naira.. This country is useless!!

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Yomit71(m): 1:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
well every business takes God's grace to thrive. Nevertheless adequate knowledge of the business you want to venture into matters.
there's nothing like after using Keke for one year it starts overdemanding for maintenance.
By God's grace, my Keke is going to FOUR years now and it's paying me well.
I don't give it to anyone to ride though.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by phemmyfour: 1:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
jay89:
So true. Will never advice anybody to go into this business.
If you will drive it yourself, you can go into the biz. Same applies to Uber biz or any other transport biz.

Reasons

1. You won't overstress the machine

2. You LL drive carefully and smartly, you are not under any pressure
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by heniford2: 1:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
Matheusmartin:
If lie nor kill you, nothing else will.. angry
his not lying is true
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by azikiweironsi(m): 1:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
SKINDOGGY:
Haha my sis just finish advising me right now make i no venture into am unless I get strength to dy shout

grin grin grin grin That was how someone asked me to sell one of my cars to venture into the business. I just smiled and said I would think about it. I just Yinmu grin and said to myself, I'm too young to die of HBP. In the sense that, be ready to accept complains from your rider, shouts, no rest of mind until you see your ride at the end of the day.
In conclusion, you may end up having HBP. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Allisgud: 2:00pm On Jan 13, 2022
joinnow:
OP
Everything is mindset
If your mindset is program to succeed
The law of attraction will kick in and everything will be going in your favour.
I know of a Keke rider at ibadan he bought land built house buy Micra marry wife and had plantation farm all from the Keke business.
I also know someone Oga settle with 1ml and the boy blow the profit and capital.
I also know of someone that build up from one small chemist shop to 3 now.
All is mindset
That is why gambler will win 6miliion today 3years from now money don finish

Also note most time it's not the amount you make but how you manage your money.
I know of keke driver that can eat 2k meat at a sitting. Too much flexing but no investment and always fighting with his wife.

Everybody can not be a shop owner
Likewise every body cannot be a Keke driver
I wanted to quote u before on the Ibadan man who bought land and Micra,until I see the Keke man who can eat Amala 200 meat 2000 later the meat man will say the land man is doing ritual no be the same 3 tyre them dey drive����

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Lightorder: 2:07pm On Jan 13, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Useless analysis and a poor rebuttal of the original thread. I have seen people use their keke for 6 years and still sound, I have also seen people open shops with huge capital only for it to be looted or mismanaged.
if you are a serious minded fellow with a good maintenance culture, this write up doesn’t hold any water in your case.The part where it says that those who would go into business same time would do better, na laugh I dey laugh

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

You just like trouble
Okada is preferable. My dad has 16 Okadas

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 13, 2022
nashito:
This fuckin business is what made me broke somehow until. I’ve been regaining my stand. Bought 4 once for #660k. Coupling etc #20k, Reg no: #20k.

I never made up to 1.5m after investing #4m.
Na so so stories the drivers dey talk every other Friday. Some will even turn off their phones, someone will involve in accident and incure damages you’ll still bring out from the savings money to fix .

Abeg, before you invest in Nigeria, make sure you’re present or you maintain a highly regulated rules & regulations accepted in your business and when someone goes contrary to that, be it family or friends, be ready to scrap them or Nigerians will take your business and hard earned money for ride with the believe that Oga has plenty money
Mistake 1, you bought 4 instead of 1 greed at play here

2. You were not strict with the drivers, if there is any story or he didn't remit, collect your Keke.

3. You should not be the one to repair it

4. You were not present to manage the business

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Celsony: 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

We take calculated risk. It is better to learn from experience than out of experience. Like I said, keke business doesn't worth it. Why invest 1milion naira in a business that has no growth prospect while there are many better alternative and better business you can do with a prospect of growth?

Y'all can go ahead and do whatever business that suits you; but I'm advising everyone, based on experience, that there's no road here. Only do keke business just to keep yourself busy, maybe in the meantime, òbut NEVER do it as a long term business
How about Uber business with ones own Toyota Corollaway car?
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
kiss
Oldmansense:
Honestly, the person who gave out this analysis is very far from reality. I am a Keke operator and I can sate things clearly. At the end of November 2019 I got my Keke as fairly used one. Its still what I have been using till date and I have only replaced the rings and piston only twice. Apart from that I live in the midst of bankers even my next door neighbour happens to own a clinic here. I have my son attending a very good school while from the Keke business I have been able to secure many industrial machines for my tailoring business and I have been able to set up 3 POS outlets. That you earn 90k monthly from the Keke business does not mean you should keep it in a savings box every month till the year ends. Invest the money into any viable business where the money also attracts more money for you and thereby giving you the opportunity to have many sources of income.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 13, 2022
ufotunang:
The main problem with Keke riders not making enough money is due to multiple illegal tax they pay everyday....police , soldiers, FRSC, hoodlums will collect money from them illegally
No, they are chronic womanizer

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by McOluOmo: 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2022
Greenback:
Meanwhile McOluomo will become richer from all your labour as well

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by kaywhy09(m): 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2022
If you intend to start a new business you don't have much details about, study people doing same business in your choice of location and few other places. You'll have the idea of what the future holds for you in that business.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 13, 2022
Oldmansense:

Ntoor. Why on earth will you give people to ride for you when you are not part of the process. In order to succeed in any business, you must be willing to be part of it. You must know everything about it and also practice it. For example my friend has riders that he registered in same street where we operate. So there is not way the rider will give him excuse because we were all together on the street working. So how can a rider remit less than the agreed amount when I worked 4x the amount on the road.?
Smart move. Most of these guys are not street smart at all. Would love to share my dad experience here but unfortunately I cannot
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2022
Shukusheka:
Why you no talk this thing on time na. Now I don go collect bank loan buy 5 used Keke put for road.
Who did you give?

How they have guarantors?

Make sure you no ey is collected twice a week not weekly because na loan you collect

Pally with two station officer, this will instil fear in them

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Greenback: 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2022
[quote author=McOluOmo post=109335478][/quote]
Oga sorry nah grin
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Testimony1988(m): 2:31pm On Jan 13, 2022
Nevertheless, some people are still making it big in the keke business, once you go for hire purchase, the person driving it will be careful because, the keke will be his/her own after fulfilling the agreement.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by God2man2again(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2022
Sometimes, investment, hardwork, planning and dedication do not necessarily result in what we aim to achieve.

Paul planted, Apollo watered but it is only God that gives increase.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Originalsly: 2:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

We take calculated risk. It is better to learn from experience than out of experience. Like I said, keke business doesn't worth it. Why invest 1milion naira in a business that has no growth prospect while there are many better alternative and better business you can do with a prospect of growth?

Y'all can go ahead and do whatever business that suits you; but I'm advising everyone, based on experience, that there's no road here. Only do keke business just to keep yourself busy, maybe in the meantime, but NEVER do it as a long term business

If someone does his homework.... and manages sell... his business will be successful.... Keke or provision business. Buying a new Keke...N1M .... while the money comes pouring in during the first few months.... a good manager will set aside a certain amount to help purchase a new one.... and will sell off the present trouble free one at much higher price allowing him to add only a little to replace it with a new one.A bad manager will not .... but wait until there is major trouble ... when it has lost much value... and he will have to add a lot more to replace it with a new one. The success of any business depends in how well it is managed.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by GetMeRight: 2:51pm On Jan 13, 2022
Dozie32:
Rearing cat fish is better than transportation business.

Lol. Finally I saw a post to respond to. Have you reared catfish and gone into transport business before? Because my brother reared catfish before and I did my 6 months IT with a company that operates catfish ponds. And now, I'm in transport business full time. So, I know you're wrong.
With catfish: you're faced with thieves, costly fish feed, flood and erosion plus exploitative customers/buyers. You may end up with a huge loss.
While I started my transport business with just two buses around 4 years ago. Today, I have nine buses despite catering for a 7-member family.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by GetMeRight: 2:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
LettyLayo:
Smart move. Most of these guys are not street smart at all. Would love to share my dad experience here but unfortunately I cannot

Like we know who you are and who your dad is. This is a faceless forum, may be you don't want to type long epistle

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by GetMeRight: 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
azikiweironsi:

grin grin grin grin That was how someone asked me to sell one of my cars to venture into the business. I just smiled and said I would think about it. I just Yinmu grin and said to myself, I'm too young to die of HBP. In the sense that, be ready to accept complains from your rider, shouts, no rest of mind until you see your ride at the end of the day.
In conclusion, you may end up having HBP. grin grin

It will be exactly like that in the beginning because you're in a new terrain. But with time, your system will adjust with the business and drivers/riders behaviour. Most especially if you really want to establish yourself in the business as owner of multiple machines.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by GetMeRight: 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2022
LettyLayo:
Okada is preferable. My dad has 16 Okadas

The same Okada business that I started with and quit? That's to tell you that what works against someone may work in favour of another person.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 13, 2022
joinnow:
OP
Everything is mindset
If your mindset is program to succeed
The law of attraction will kick in and everything will be going in your favour.
I know of a Keke rider at ibadan he bought land built house buy Micra marry wife and had plantation farm all from the Keke business.
I also know someone Oga settle with 1ml and the boy blow the profit and capital.
I also know of someone that build up from one small chemist shop to 3 now.
All is mindset
That is why gambler will win 6miliion today 3years from now money don finish

Also note most time it's not the amount you make but how you manage your money.
I know of keke driver that can eat 2k meat at a sitting. Too much flexing but no investment and always fighting with his wife.

Everybody can not be a shop owner
Likewise every body cannot be a Keke driver

Me that eats 10k meat at a sitting is very shocked by your comment.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by okoroemeka(m): 3:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
cherryCola:

I think you are very stupid.

no need to abuse or insult,just post your own analysis why his post is faulty

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Akosxxx(m): 3:41pm On Jan 13, 2022
This is why I love Nairaland.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by lereinter(m): 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Useless analysis and a poor rebuttal of the original thread. I have seen people use their keke for 6 years and still sound, I have also seen people open shops with huge capital only for it to be looted or mismanaged.

Really

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Head Of Goat That Caused Accident In Anambra Was Cut Off (Photos) / The Beauty Of Crystal Lake Resort Oguta, Imo State In Pictures / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.