Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience (45716 Views)

How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo) / Passenger Forgets Money In Uyo In Keke Napep In Akwa Ibom State. Photo / Keke NAPEP In Benin City Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Jaqenhghar: 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:
Opened this thread partly to respond to a thread I read on front page https://www.nairaland.com/6929052/how-started-tricycle-keke-business and partly to educate those who run into a business based on hearsay.

Before I go into the main thing, let me ease your mental stress a bit. According to the guy on that thread and the analysis of many people I have read on this platform, you can save just 5000 daily, that should give you about 150k/month and 1.8 million annually. But come to think of it, how many keke operators do you see living in a good apartment? With annual net income of about 1.8 million, one should be able to afford a semi decent home; fairly nice dresses and send his children to fairly good schools. After all you can hardly see a civil servant that saves up to 150k monthly yet they live more decent life than keke riders. Why? Before I answe this question, let me say that, although I'm not sure, the OP of that thread is still new in that business; he hasn't stayed up to a year. So at the right time he will come and edit that thread.

The truth about keke business
1st scenerio: fairly used keke...
There are two major reasons why people sell their used keke.
1. The keke is faulty. Most riders have very bad maintenance culture especially those who started their keke with brand new one. They feel the machine will remain sound inspite of their abuse until it down on them that great damage has been done on the machine, they put it up for sell. If you're the unlucky buyer that would be moved by the deceptive statement "five months old", sorry will become your name.

2. The owner is having issues with the operator. The owner might just decide to sell off so as not to loose out completely. In this case, the maintenance history of the machine cannot be guaranteed because in most cases, the operator see it coming and is more concerned about how much he can make before the owner seizes it.

Whichever is the case with the keke you're buying as second hand, you're 85% probably going to suffer in the hands of mechanics just few months after purchase. You will spend the little you have saved fixing the keke and will likely spend a lot of time in mechanic workshop making it hard for you to be able to save more. After one year, instead of the 1.8 million you're have calculated initially, you might just be VERY LUCKY to see 300k. In fact this is one of the realities why keke operators can't afford fairly decent life for their family.

2nd scenerio: new keke...
If you want to get a new keke now, just budget 1 million naira. At the start you'll be making a lot of money because passengers prefer to board clean keke. Because of how much you're making, as a real niggar, you will want to love-vendor your ride so that it will become more appealing and exquisite; the satisfaction you feel while blasting jams filter into the air from your keke... you can work from morning till night without getting tired because your ride is soft... you start paying all your bills without any issue... Hardly will you realize how quickly the machine is detoriating.

The reality will set in when your engine start shorting oil. After sometime you're asked to change your piston and ring. That is the genesis of a downward spiral in your financial life.

There are two very important things everyone should know. First, the lifespan tricycle is short. Remember that keke doesn't have radiator yet many of them are three cylinder. If you're serious minded, just give your keke 6 months, maximum one year, before you replace it. Secondly, every other business appreciates while keke depreciate. From the day you bought it, it starts depreciating till you need another 1milion to buy another one. But the shocking reality is that most people can't raise that money when they need to replace it. The reason is that, the death of their machine normally comes at a time they don't expect it, and they try to maintain the old one with their savings thinking that they can use it to raise more money.

If you spent 1 million naira opening, let's say, a provision store, after one year you would be surprised how big it has grown because it grows daily. But the pain of coughing out the equivalent of your initial capital once a while just to remain in business is not easy.

Conclusion.
If you want to start a keke business just to keep yourself busy for the meantime, go ahead. But please instead of buying new keke, invest the money in a business that has growth prospect. I've not talked about how often you will scratch somebody's car and you're asked to repay it; how many times the authorities will impound your machine; God forbid you involve in accident... Everything I wrote is based on experience.
From what I gather all I see is a lazy man who wants to buy keke and give to people the sit and wait for money to be coming in. You dont maintin your stuff or follow up to know how your keke is doing.
This is why it is advised that you go into business you understand. If you want to be a successfull keke entepreneur, spend some time doing the keke work to understand all the wahala attached to it ( But that is an abomination. Everyone is too big to do a hard day's work). Even the billionaires you quote all have skills.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by samwillyco1(m): 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
joinnow:
OP
Everything is mindset
If your mindset is program to succeed
The law of attraction will kick in and everything will be going in your favour.
I know of a Keke rider at ibadan he bought land built house buy Micra marry wife and had plantation farm all from the Keke business.
I also know someone Oga settle with 1ml and the boy blow the profit and capital.
I also know of someone that build up from one small chemist shop to 3 now.
All is mindset
That is why gambler will win 6miliion today 3years from now money don finish

Also note most time it's not the amount you make but how you manage your money.
I know of keke driver that can eat 2k meat at a sitting. Too much flexing but no investment and always fighting with his wife.

Everybody can not be a shop owner
Likewise every body cannot be a Keke driver

I never wanted to comment but this your analysis made me to.
I like the word mindset that you used in your analysis; to me that mindset, determination, Grace, saving culture or habits or lifestyle matters in everything one does for a living, planning and vision matters in ones life.
Finally, focus and seriousness and God's Grace is all we need to succeed in any business we finds ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by savanto: 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
nashito:
This fuckin business is what made me broke somehow until. I’ve been regaining my stand. Bought 4 once for #660k. Coupling etc #20k, Reg no: #20k.

I never made up to 1.5m after investing #4m.
Na so so stories the drivers dey talk every other Friday. Some will even turn off their phones, someone will involve in accident and incure damages you’ll still bring out from the savings money to fix .

Abeg, before you invest in Nigeria, make sure you’re present or you maintain a highly regulated rules & regulations accepted in your business and when someone goes contrary to that, be it family or friends, be ready to scrap them or Nigerians will take your business and hard earned money for ride with the believe that Oga has plenty money

What an awful experience, but you should have started with just one Keke, when the business goes as expected, you add one more.

My advise is never start any business that you are not 100% physically present, you will just end up starting business for people.

Add it to your list of experiences you bought with 4M.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by monarch(m): 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
I think everything is mindset. With this your analysis, it is clear that you have not done the business. You only heard from failed hands.

A relative started the keke business after being retrenched from his office. With this business, he is able to cater for his family.

I also know of a woman that started with one keke, now she has over 10 kekes and 2 korokpe (mini buses) in her fleet.

Anyone with a high level of determination can make it in this life. Just be determined.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by samwillyco1(m): 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
Op every business has its ups and downs but determination, planning, saving culture, and God's grace is all we need to succeed in life.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Adakintroy: 4:05pm On Jan 13, 2022
Lazy man mindset.

First of all there one point you left out. Your individuality. It's incumbent on every man to be true to themselves in all things and be hardworking. Hard work Trump all. There is work and there is hardwork.

Some go to work and tell stories,close anytime with no decipline. Then they come out and complain when they don't meet target. Some take advantages of the extra layer of time rather than 7 work themselves till 10/11. You will be shock how much extra 3hrs shift will generation if you multiply the difference by let's say 30days or 6months. Most people don't look to themselves as the real problem they too busy making attributions.

I got my first bike in delivery here in Lagos fairly use q links. It was in decent condition so I guess I was lucky. But I loved my bike so I treat it with respect. I change the oil regularly. Attend to the brake pads. when ever I hear any noise it's straight to my mechanics. not that I had much. But this things are like mans health early direction is key. Cut a long story short I have bought five bikes in between in a space of two yrs. Employ an extra hand. It's on 45k salary monthly. And am just gething started. Bros wetin the first guy talk about Keke as good, he no lie to me he even play it down. na your honest inpute and hard work. For any set it comes down to individuality. How bad you want it will determine you inpute. You inpute ultimatelytely determine your salary. That's were it end.

If you really want to work. Get a decent Keke. There are good mechanics that will tell you what to do before you spend x amount you are good. The rest na ur competive spirit. Or hussling spirit as we de talk.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Adakintroy: 4:06pm On Jan 13, 2022
Lazy man mindset.

First of all there one point you left out. Your individuality. It's incumbent on every man to be true to themselves in all things and be hardworking. Hard work Trump all. There is work and there is hardwork.

Some go to work and tell stories,close anytime with no decipline. Then they come out and complain when they don't meet target. Some take advantages of the extra layer of time rather than 7 work themselves till 10/11. You will be shock how much extra 3hrs shift will generation if you multiply the difference by let's say 30days or 6months. Most people don't look to themselves as the real problem they too busy making attributions.

I got my first bike in delivery here in Lagos fairly use q links. It was in decent condition so I guess I was lucky. But I loved my bike so I treat it with respect. I change the oil regularly. Attend to the brake pads. when ever I hear any noise it's straight to my mechanics. not that I had much. But this things are like mans health early direction is key. Cut a long story short I have bought five bikes in between in a space of two yrs. Employ an extra hand. It's on 45k salary monthly. And am just gething started. Bros wetin the first guy talk about Keke as good, he no lie to me he even play it down. na your honest inpute and hard work. For any set it comes down to individuality. How bad you want it will determine you inpute. You inpute ultimately determine your salary. That's were it end.

If you really want to work. Get a decent Keke. There are good mechanics that will tell you what to do before you spend x amount you are good. The rest na ur competitve spirit. Or hussling spirit as we de talk.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Jaqenhghar: 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2022
Jecci:
One thing with Nigerians any business they hear is booming they will just rush into it without doing due research.
Same way they rush saturate POS business

God bless you. God bless you. God bless you mightily.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Jaqenhghar: 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2022
Adakintroy:
Lazy man mindset.

I got my first bike in delivery here in Lagos fairly use q links. It was in decent condition so I guess I was lucky. But I loved my bike so I treat it with respect. I change the oil regularly. Attend to the brake pads. when ever I hear any noise it's straight to my mechanics. not that I had much. But this things are like mans health early direction is key. Cut a long story short I have bought five bikes in between in a space of two yrs. Employ an extra hand. It's on 45k salary monthly. And am just gething started. Bros wetin the first guy talk about Keke as good, he no lie to me he even play it down. na your honest inpute and hard work. For any set it comes down to individuality. How bad you want it will determine you inpute. You inpute ultimately determine your salary. That's were it end.

If you really want to work. Get a decent Keke. There are good mechanics that will tell you what to do before you spend x amount you are good. The rest na ur competitve spirit. Or hussling spirit as we de talk.
I wish I could like this more than once. More people need to read this. Our people no like work. They just want to sit and let money keep flowing.
Even Dangote dey go work. Mark Zuckerberg dey go work. They dont know

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by saintruky(m): 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2022
Oldmansense:

Don't ask op come and ask me. Don't criticize what you have never tried delegently. I live in an estate here with my Keke. Lemme burst your bubble...my friend that i assisted in getting an apartment in my compound owns up to 30 units of keke. Right now he owns a spare parts shop for Keke and succeeded in buying the undeveloped part of land remaining in my compound. Imagine a Keke rider buying land from former house of assembly member

Bros ur blood too dey hot... I wasn't countering u... I myself am a keke rider n since i resigned from my 70k monthly job when nearly kill me, I've never for once had regret riding keke... I know what I've achieved thus far... Funny my keke wasn't bought brand new... Was an outright sale by d owner, since d persons (3) who handled it couldn't balance d owner... I started using it late 2019 n this is 2022 still sound..

Point is failing to plan is planning to fail....

D op didn't take d above quote to heart when he started... Again too, don't be deceived by d physical/hustling looks on most keke riders on duty, what's behind d scene would shock u....

I rest my case

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Dfr0: 4:32pm On Jan 13, 2022
All transport business is risky
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by billyG(m): 4:48pm On Jan 13, 2022
Limassol:
Save yourself the stress op, many keke riders are on hired purchase, hence it mostly profit the owners. But it's also a win for the riders since atleast they will make ends meet at the end of the day, but i agree it should'nt be a long term strategy.
Most hire purchase does not actually favour d owner.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by uncleck: 4:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
Celsony:

How about Uber business with ones own Toyota Corollaway car?
Uber has it's own challenges too, but business with a Corolla is not the same as business with keke. Their maintenance isn't the same. If you're projecting a 500,000 kilometers for your Tokumbo Corolla for instance, project 50,000 for your brand new keke

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

You just like trouble
He is arguing against himself grin what a dumbo
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by SUPERPACK: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2022
gypsey:
He is arguing against himself grin what a dumbo
Even a 21st century illiterate feels he has a say.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by agentarcher(m): 5:35pm On Jan 13, 2022
Your observations are what most pass through. People commenting about one person that bought land with it don't know how to base conclusions. You can not say because you saw one man succeeding in a business and conclude that business is good. You look at it from the majority. I have a friends who repair Keke, and they would tell you driving Keke is very difficult. You spend a lot on repairs and police settlement. I have seen people enjoying from it, but I can't count up to ten people. You might be lucky to get hired monthly for school runs and other things. People like this use the daily hustle to settle daily expenses. When they get paid for the school runs service they provide, that goes into something else. Some Keke drivers also have other hustle apart from the Keke riding business you don't know about. It's not everyone that tells you what's going on in their lives. When you see such a person booming now, you end up saying it's the Keke job that is giving him the money.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by taskcompleteng: 5:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
Na so I invest for Cooperate Keke,
Since the CEO was kidnapped since September till now , money we no see talk less of the Naped, I don’t know if am the only one here that invested with them.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by omostar: 5:53pm On Jan 13, 2022
Matheusmartin:

if keke drivers make such money as claimed, why can't they afford decent life style??

food for thought.
Because most of them are illiterate and will blast the money as they make it.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by silvoclaira: 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
Dozie32:
Rearing cat fish is better than transportation business.
Seems they are not seeing the "rising sun" in fish business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Alohaa: 6:07pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

We take calculated risk. It is better to learn from experience than out of experience. Like I said, keke business doesn't worth it. Why invest 1milion naira in a business that has no growth prospect while there are many better alternative and better business you can do with a prospect of growth?

Y'all can go ahead and do whatever business that suits you; but I'm advising everyone, based on experience, that there's no road here. Only do keke business just to keep yourself busy, maybe in the meantime, but NEVER do it as a long term business

You can’t say it doesn’t have growth prospects when some people are growing from it..
You can’t be a keke driver and you want to live like Dangote or ball like David, live within your means and see yourself flourishing...
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ojoisimi(m): 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

But you've never seen people whose new keke involved in accident and everything went down the drain in a twinkle of an eye. You've never also seen people who started business with little money and overtime, it grew very big. SMH

And you haven't seen any one whose new multi million naira mall get burnt to ashes?
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ojoisimi(m): 6:17pm On Jan 13, 2022
uncleck:

We take calculated risk. It is better to learn from experience than out of experience. Like I said, keke business doesn't worth it. Why invest 1milion naira in a business that has no growth prospect while there are many better alternative and better business you can do with a prospect of growth?

Y'all can go ahead and do whatever business that suits you; but I'm advising everyone, based on experience, that there's no road here. Only do keke business just to keep yourself busy, maybe in the meantime, but NEVER do it as a long term business

All you have stated are mere perspective of yours. For your info I have guys in my areas who have built their houses from Keke business.

I have a younger brother who is presently about to lay the foundation blocks of his house.

You could have stated whatever you wanted to state without acting like you know anything solid other than this your weak rebuttal.

You even tried to act like you know what you are saying stating people should invest their 1M in business. My questions to you are..... Is anything a given in this world? Haven't you seen people whose multi million naira business totally collapsed? Does the failure of some Keke owners mean all others will equally fail?
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ojoisimi(m): 6:31pm On Jan 13, 2022
agentarcher:
Your observations are what most pass through. People commenting about one person that bought land with it don't know how to base conclusions. You can not say because you saw one man succeeding in a business and conclude that business is good. You look at it from the majority. I have a friends who repair Keke, and they would tell you driving Keke is very difficult. You spend a lot on repairs and police settlement. I have seen people enjoying from it, but I can't count up to ten people. You might be lucky to get hired monthly for school runs and other things. People like this use the daily hustle to settle daily expenses. When they get paid for the school runs service they provide, that goes into something else. Some Keke drivers also have other hustle apart from the Keke riding business you don't know about. It's not everyone that tells you what's going on in their lives. When you see such a person booming now, you end up saying it's the Keke job that is giving him the money.

Which police are you talking about? People should learn to comment base on context. Not everyone live in your area. Police don't disturb Keke riders in my town. There's nothing like agbero in my area. Not everyone lives in Lagos.

Selling and buying business or whatever the poster called it isn't a given.

That few people are making it from Keke business in your area doesn't mean it is so for all areas in Nigeria.

The original post for which this rebuttal was made stated clear some but not all terms and condition necessary for Keke business to thrive
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by youngtee5(m): 6:37pm On Jan 13, 2022
I disagree with all you said op. I don't know where to start cause everywhere will full
But let me correct you. 1 I have a friend who lives in 2bed rooms in abuleegba, you should know how much that cost.

2 I have seen a man that use his Keke for 8 years and is still working

3 if you can ride Keke and you have a good money management and you don't mind people looking down on you if your 8-5 job is not up to 150k pls if u can quit that job and buy a Keke ride it ur self.

My Experience
I ride Keke Monday to Friday. I rest on Saturdays sometimes on Mondays too I don't like Monday holdup
I earn 40k on average weekly I deliver 20k weekly and I do my service every 3weeks
This is my six month in the job I ply agege to ikeja

Regret
Wasting 5 years in company work Regret not starting Keke job since
2 the down side most ladies don't like it when I tell them I am a Keke rider.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Gaabasky: 6:45pm On Jan 13, 2022
I will rather go for Korope. Keke no go area

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
kiss
Adakintroy:
Lazy man mindset.

I got my first bike in delivery here in Lagos fairly use q links. It was in decent condition so I guess I was lucky. But I loved my bike so I treat it with respect. I change the oil regularly. Attend to the brake pads. when ever I hear any noise it's straight to my mechanics. not that I had much. But this things are like mans health early direction is key. Cut a long story short I have bought five bikes in between in a space of two yrs. Employ an extra hand. It's on 45k salary monthly. And am just gething started. Bros wetin the first guy talk about Keke as good, he no lie to me he even play it down. na your honest inpute and hard work. For any set it comes down to individuality. How bad you want it will determine you inpute. You inpute ultimatelytely determine your salary. That's were it end.

If you really want to work. Get a decent Keke. There are good mechanics that will tell you what to do before you spend x amount you are good. The rest na ur competive spirit. Or hussling spirit as we de talk.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
kiss
youngtee5:
I disagree with all you said op. I don't know where to start cause everywhere will full
But let me correct you. 1 I have a friend who lives in 2bed rooms in abuleegba, you should know how much that cost.

2 I have seen a man that use his Keke for 8 years and is still working

3 if you can ride Keke and you have a good money management and you don't mind people looking down on you if your 8-5 job is not up to 150k pls if u can quit that job and buy a Keke ride it ur self.

My Experience
I ride Keke Monday to Friday. I rest on Saturdays sometimes on Mondays too I don't like Monday holdup
I earn 40k on average weekly I deliver 20k weekly and I do my service every 3weeks
This is my six month in the job I ply agege to ikeja

Regret
Wasting 5 years in company work Regret not starting Keke job since
2 the down side most ladies don't like it when I tell them I am a Keke rider.

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by ultimateprof: 6:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
Anything called transportation business and bet9ja is not for ordinary people. You have to engage yourself with some higher powers for you to make it in this two lines of business.
Examples of those who are into transportation business and they have spiritual back up which makes them to be making it year in year out are: The Young Shall Grow, Ezenwata, God is good motors, Best Way, etc.

You can argue with your data.
Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by agentarcher(m): 6:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
ojoisimi:

Which police are you talking about? People should learn to comment base on context. Not everyone live in your area. Police don't disturb Keke riders in my town. There's nothing like agbero in my area. Not everyone lives in Lagos.

Selling and buying business or whatever the poster called it isn't a given.

That few people are making it from Keke business in your area doesn't mean it is so for all areas in Nigeria.

The original post for which this rebuttal was made stated clear some but not all terms and condition necessary for Keke business to thrive

Re: Why You Should Not Invest Your Money In Keke Business: My Experience by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 13, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Even a 21st century illiterate feels he has a say.
More rubbish, you don't know when to stop do you? grin morron!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

List Of Nationalities In The Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane / The Head Of Goat That Caused Accident In Anambra Was Cut Off (Photos) / The Beauty Of Crystal Lake Resort Oguta, Imo State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.