Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer (10271 Views)

17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer / Product Designer - UI /UX / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2022
This should be a step by step exposition on how to become a product designer using my personal experiences.

Stay tuned.

Resources:

Need to contact me? Email me at skhanmi733 at Gmail dot com

4 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 12:14am On Jan 09, 2022
Before we start I noticed many people especially HR's are confused with design roles and the skillset that differentiates each, although most are guilty of just copying role descriptions from other job adverts. You can easily tell those who have no single idea of what the job role entails, this should help clear your doubts and also avoid places where they are deliberately looking for unicorns at cheap rates. Will try & explain all clearly.

1) UX Designer.
make a product or service usable, enjoyable, and accessible, they focus on user’s satisfaction and ensures the product fulfills the user’s need.
E.g. How does entering a danfo bus and a BRT feel? Which one makes you enter aggressive mode? How do you act when bringing out your IPhone 11 in both buses? Do you crave for the seats of a danfo? They are so soft and comfortable right? That’s what UX is about, the feeling.

2) UI Designer.
builds the interfaces for machines or software. They focus on the looks and what they convey.
E.g. When you look at the BRT and a danfo shape, what comes to your mind: Rough & Rugged or Calm and Chill? When you look at their respective seats, what memory does your butt reminds you of? When you enter a danfo, do you instinctively know the bad seats? The ones with no back support or are bent at a 35 degree? UI designers focus on intuitive design

3) Graphic Designer/Web Designer.
both focus on aesthetics but the main difference is the graphic designer focuses on prints publications, branding & advertising while the web designer focuses exclusively on creating the visuals for websites, apps, and digital products.
One communicates an idea/info through individual graphics while the other creates polished websites, apps etc. with the appropriate look and feel.

4) Front End developer.
is a software engineer who implements web designs done by a UI designer (backed by research from a UX designer) through coding languages like HTML, CSS and JavaScript. They are also called web developers.

5) Product Designer.
A product designer on the other hand ensures a product is relevant, functional and is cost effective. It’s like the Full Stack of design. They manage the whole process and more (UX, UI, Coding, Project Management, Product roadmap etc.), their job is to solve problems that might spring up from the initial process at any stage in time.
This should not be confused with product management, product designers solve problems and are responsible for its quality and integrity while product managers are responsible for the process organization: they organize the work of the former, decide on the priorities and assign tasks.

6) Design Unicorn.
is a jack of all trades that can do all or most of the above thoroughly and efficiently at an affordable price. That kind of person can research, design, code, write, create and edit contents, creating animations, pitch to stakeholders, manage sales, offer business advice etc. all alone, . Na one man army, no assistants. Seeing as most of the above job descriptions takes years to even get a grip on, my advice on seeing such job listings is to run, such organizations have no clear cut role for you. You will eventually end up doing almost anything. And the pay and stress won’t be worth it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 7:43pm On Jan 16, 2022
Now let’s use the Lagos BRT transportation service concept to explain all of the above: This is actually service design, a subset of UX design.

A UX designer would design the experiences you would have across this 3 phases:
1) From the entrance to the ticketing boot;
2) Waiting area to boarding;
3) Ride experience to disembarking etc.
Note: If you watched the movie Transformers age of extinction, the scene where the CEO was walking into his building and complained about the experience is an example. He wanted to convey a certain feeling attached to his brand to visitors. Entering a bank revolving door here is another (Zenith, Firstbank, GTB have their respect sounds)

A UI designer would design the physical environment:
1) Station building and layout (Hint: Oshodi Bus terminal)
2) Suggest the color and sitting arrangements for the building and types of vehicles to use based on UX research etc.

A front developer would build:
1) The bus terminal using building materials, monitor development and manage repairs.
2) Be in charge of vehicles inspection and repairs etc.

A graphic designer would design:
1) The tickets, flyers, boarding card concept banners, stationaries etc.

A web designer would design:
1) Website, boarding app and other digital products.

A product designer would oversee all while making sure:
1) Products are relevant to the industry; Would BRT’s fare in Lagos, Onitsha and Borno?
2) Products are functional to the users; does the building/vehicles meet passenger’s needs, do they work as required?
3) Cost effective for the stakeholders; Are our choices feasible? Will the company make revenue or bleed unnecessary money?

You can imagine the unicorn trying to do all of these by themselves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2022
Starting steps

Decide which route you would take, the self-taught or a structure based learning program. Based on time available, cost and learning ability, the options available to everyone differs. My advice for newbies is to experiment first, go through the free courses to determine whether product design would be a good fit for you and start with UX first.

Then if you can effectively cut through the information overload and won't get overwhelmed, go the self-taught route, pick one resource at a time and finish it. Or follow the structured way jejeli like the BRT make discouragement agberos and procastination sars no go block you for road.

A word of advice for those who jump into professions because of the pay, please go to reddit and read the tales of those who want out of the product design industry. That could be you in 3-7 years. Coding is worse if it's not your passion but what do I know. Singing Fela Kuti: Follow follow

Note: Check LinkedIn to check for the more recognized certifications in Nigeria and worldwide.

Free Courses
1) Accenture User Experience: www.futurelearn.com/courses/digital-skills-user-experience
2) Salesforce UX Experience ( Certification not free): https://trailhead.salesforce.com/en/credentials/userexperiencedesigner
3) LearnUX: https://learnux.io/
4) https://github.com/hendurhance/ui-ux
5) https://learnui.design/newsletter.html
6) https://www.notion.so/The-Beginner-s-Guide-to-UI-UX-Design-6c0ff9e6afe84a35b2090dfde1ebed89
7) https://boom-patella-0a5.notion.site/Jomi-s-Resources-796a0c8cd0dd4c25b5319786a230c93a
cool https://www.thegymnasium.com/courses/GYM/103/0/about
9) https://hackdesign.org/
10) https://generalassemb.ly/free-online-learning

Google Drive Videos and resources (Please do not sell)
1) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F9WKXhGFAxg_L5dwKsEapo-UX3aYzNI66HK2Zw1QaMo/edit?usp=drivesdk
2) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-1diYjUyC-hFiiQn9cTpmTGVbMB4IvT0
3) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1yOsIliKsgRoEzThwoBa9ni25b0-cFbc7

Paid courses
-Interaction design.org
-Google UX Design
-Udacity UX designer Nanodegree
-Udemy User Experience design fundamentals
-Skillshare Intro to UX
-Coursera Introduction to user experience design.

Tools to master
Figma/AdobeXD
Sketch
Illustrator
Photoshop
Origami/Framer
Miro
Zeplin

I'll update this section from time to time.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 3:39pm On Feb 02, 2022
Back to my own experiences, I took the Udacity UX Nanodegree course, quite comprehensive if I may say and easy for anyone who is totally new to UI/UX. It takes you through the fundamentals of UX, User Research (very important) and UI design. Then you round off with a capstone project.

Submissions are reviewed by an assigned supervisor.
Course duration is 3 months but if you can power through it in less than that like I did, deadlines have a way of bringing out the best in someone grin.

You can see the skills gained and the course assessment process below. This should give you a basic idea of what you have to learn as a UI/UX professional, dribble and co mostly gives the impression that UI/UX is about fancy designs but that isn't the case in real life. If it isn't backed by researched data, It's just visual design and would likely not solve your users problems.

I’ll be posting a summary of my project from research to prototyping next.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 7:42pm On Feb 13, 2022
My Udacity Capstone Project
We did assessments at the end of each course using what we learnt to jumpstart our own projects. You either chose the Udacity coffeshop Project or you find one yourself. A quick search on the coffeshop project brought out hundreds of such projects on dribble, linkedin etc. To me it didn’t make sense, how can your project stand out amidst all that, even if your work was better than the rest it doesn’t show ingenuity.

So I opted to choose my own project and find my own resources, sounds nice and bold to you right? It wasn't funny. I contemplated switching back to the Udacity Coffeshop project more than twice, they had data down from interviews, surveys etc that you could just use, I had to get mine by conducting my own interviews and surveys, I got stuck, had a brain freeze for weeks where I would just open my laptop and stare at the screen, Imagine a zombie with a laptop, nothing was processing and the deadlines were fast approaching. I almost ended up frustrated like a LASTMA official but na me find work, I had to finish it but the experience was worth it.

Now I can state I have experience working under intense pressure in my CV angry

Back to my project, I had to find a problem and create a UX solution for it. Not just any problem would fit the bill, It had to be relevant etc.

I choose to go with an app blocker for young professionals. I'll explain how to write a case study later, for now I'll just showcase the tasks I did and a pictorial explanation of how the app works.

3 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 7:45pm On Feb 13, 2022
Tasks done during UX case study & User Journey example.

Research & Recruitment

Explored young professionals experiences with existing social media app blockers.
Validated findings with surveys.

Research Synthesis & Feature Ideation-Prioritization

Identified pain points, common themes and determined possible opportunities.
Ran a design sprint for brainstorming.

Concept Sketching, Rapid Prototyping and Usability Testing

Created and designed easily adaptable features or solutions.
Tested and iterated prototypes.

Nl compressed the pictures sad By the way those aren't the colors I used in my final designs, this is just for presentation, Just in case senior Designers are lurking around here. I have adequate knowledge of WCAG & the psychology of color to know this won't be comfortable with some classes of users.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:17am On Feb 16, 2022
While looking for more projects to add to my portfolio especially refractoring case studies, I came across the UBA banking app grin, See damning reviews, Why hasn't anyone tried to redesign their UI? I've seen that of zenith, first bank & GTB. Although the UBA app UI looks basic, I think the problem is from the development phase..

Polaris banking app is another angry Very frustrating app. I always pity the users.

I just wonder whether they even do research first or use feedback from their users to make their designs better, what do you think is the problem?

Well this is nigeria, don't catch you slippin' now....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 2:43pm On Feb 16, 2022
Explaining the tasks posted above in understandable English

Research & Recruitment

This is the stage you empathize with your target market product users, say you're working on something like an e-commerce platform like Jumia. You draw up your research plan where you state the type of research method you will use (quantitative or qualitative), background of your study, research goals, Research questions, type of people to be recruited, how they would be recruited and the script to be used. While doing all these you should also look for previous studies done in your selected research problem, the data collected and recommendations can be a good leverage to your own project.

Then you reach out to people to get their opinions/experiences on similar products. Ask them why they use such products, how they feel about them, what they would like to change or include etc. Competitor analysis is another good method. Like the banking applications I mentioned above, just go to the competitor's google play store to check and compare reviews, It's a rich source of information, you will know what features could be recommended and what to avoid.

Mind you this stage is very important, once you screw or jump over this, you're not designing with your users in mind anymore but what you think will solve their problems. Quality research can be expensive, that's why platforms like usertesting etc. pay people money for their time to help them test websites etc. But our Nigerian reputation precedes us, angry Hiss. Many organizations will offer treats, gifts in exchange for user interviews but as an upcoming designer just focus on free resources- friends, families, forums, slack channels etc.

Note: Some folks don't go past this stage, they are called UX researchers and you can make good money from it if you know your onions.

Research Synthesis & Feature Ideation-Prioritization

At this stage you start arranging all the data you've gathered from your interview, surveys etc. in an app like Miro under categories like pain points, common themes , possible solutions and recommendations in order to define your problem statements, design goals, solution overview. This is where you also get hints for creating your user personas and empathy maps.

Once that is sorted out, you run a design sprint to ideate ideas, user journey maps, features to be added to your product e.g. Jumia does not have a voice search option, we would add that to ours and also let it recommend products with the most reviews etc.

During this stage you would have come up with multiple options, features and ideas, but you can't possibly implement all of that! So how do you choose? This is where Prioritization comes in, this allows you to choose the best options to create the best[b] minimum viable product (MVP)[/b] within the shortest available time based on factors like costs, complexity, value to users, engineering concerns etc. There are many techniques available, I used the Value vs. Complexity Quadrant, It basically asks 3 questions:
1) Can we build this?
2) Is it cost intensive?
3) Does it add value?

From what I saw on twitter, it seems most UIUX designers are at loggerheads with their development teams because they hardly put the first question into consideration angry, coming up with fancy designs that turns collaboration meetings into warzones. Design is one thing, developing it is quite another but what do I know, I don't believe in anything, I'll rather stay taliban wink

Concept Sketching, Rapid Prototyping and Usability Testing (UI)

Here you would start putting your ideas to paper, how would your features look like, using designs on dribbble, behance for inspiration, translate them to basic wireframes and start iterating.
Paper to lofi-wireframing is the best option especially when dealing with stakeholders, you can make changes faster without worrying about colors, icons, accessibility etc. You sketch, create design systems, wireframes, create basic prototypes, test the user flows etc. with colleagues, users, stakeholders etc. note feedbacks then go back to iterate your designs.

When you have done this 3-5 times and have a clear idea of what your prototype looks like, then you can move on to high-fi wireframes where you flesh out your prototype into something more robust, create a prototype and conduct usability and accessibility testing (Is it responsive, user friendly, easy to use, contrast switching, screen readers etc.) using tools like Lookback and webaim contrast checker. You will still iterate, it's a lifelong process until the product is taken down. That's why the top nigerian bank apps are different, their app designs and flows are not stagnant.

After I was done in my own project, I documented my style guides & component libraries using Zeplin for easy handover to developers. System Designs are very very important to ease work process among team members.

I obviously skipped a lot of things so I'll just add a screenshot of some of the documents I had to create in the course of this project. It is a whole lot of work.

Next Up is "How to write a case study".

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by brijibs: 12:04am On Feb 21, 2022
Following
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by 3exe3: 12:38am On Feb 21, 2022
Following do mention me when next u update

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 5:02pm On Feb 21, 2022
How to write a case study.

A case study is simply a record of UX design projects you have done. See it as a captivating story that tells how you went about a project from the beginnings to completion. You get to showcase your thought processes and decision making skills. Imo this is the hardest part. Trying to compress a lot of data into 1, 5, 9, 13 etc. pages.

You ask why? Because the target audience is different most of the time and are broadly categorized into 3:

1) Recruiters/HR
2) Fellow UX designers/Developers/Tech people
3) Non tech people like Founders, CEO’s, Investors etc.

Now imagine if I mainly explained in only full tech jargon on this thread, how many people do you think would fully understand? Try going to a programming/data science thread and see how many terminologies you would understand. The same happens when writing a case study. Always write with your target audience in mind. Writing in tech jargon would be good for team project meetings while any other person would think you’re speaking in tongues.

This is how I did mine, I documented everything first in a long ass boring case study of 12 PowerPoint pages in full UX jargon lipsrsealed (80 percent text 20 percent pictures) using the format below:

1) Project Details
a) Project Title
b) Subtitle (summarize what your project is about in 1-3 lines)
c) Role
d) Tools used
e) Company/Client/Type of project (B2C, B2B etc.)

2) Problem Overview/Statement

3) Problem Solution:
a) Process (research to iteration)
b) Methods (Surveys, competitor analysis, usability testing etc.)
c) Features (product features that address users problems)

4) Results: Success Metrics, Reflections, Link to prototype.

Then in my frenzied search for more information on the web on how to write the best case study like Gollum looking for his precious wink, think I spent like 2 weeks racking my brains, opening up more than 80 browser tabs and despairing at the info overload before I stumbled upon a simple technique on a foreigner’s portfolio website (Jeremyr/Bird/.com/portfolio). Remove the / in your browsers, please don’t write out the full thing here, make thunder no fire you.

The STAR technique: Situation. Tasks. Actions. Results

Like a newly elected politician that just got access to office funds, I rushed it, did a little more research and went back to cut my stories that touched the brain into 5 pages if we ignore the 1st project details page, then down to 1 power point page! shocked All within 4 hours. Damn! It was that good, Udacity had their own case study guide so I did that and submitted before them fail me but I’m definitely sticking to the star technique in my own portfolio.

This technique allows you to summarize your project in 4 easy steps for all target audience especially those with short attention spans.

S – Define your project overview.
T – List the tasks you undertook in the course of the project like I posted some pages back.
A – Explain the tasks in short sentences (I have attached a screenshot, the sentences could be shorter if I removed some keywords).
R – Showcase your wireframes, prototype link, features, and notes here.

And ended it by including a “read the full report here” at the end of the report. We all know most recruiters won’t embarassed, they are busy skimming thousands of portfolios in minutes, but just in case someone more thorough comes through, it would be better if you have the long ass case study down. Try and make it more interesting though, so they don’t get brain hurt. Story telling is a core UX designer skill, I really need to learn copywriting angry.

In summary, have 2 case studies, one for the general audience and the more detailed one for those looking for in-depth views on how your brain works. Write in simple English, don’t neglect keywords, spice things up with animations and make it a narrative story. Don’t worry if you don’t get it right at first, me sef still dey polish my case studies constantly.

As usual, I cut out many things but I’ll drop a quote from a medium article here that helped me, lost the link, go find it yourself. I read myself blind searching for UX articles.

“Good employers are looking for your approach to problem framing, problem-solving, real-world impact delivered through applying your skills, and your ability to articulate your research process within a given context. A portfolio full of hypothetical redesigns and group work class projects won’t deliver much depth or be viewed as unique.”

Another very useful link: https://medium.com/designatmeta/5-ways-to-improve-your-design-portfolio-today-eb63e17560dc

Note: It's competitor analysis not competitive analysis. Think I wrote that under duress. Make nobody tell me nonsense my nigga tongue.

3exe3

3 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 5:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
By the way, Follow DesignPal HQ on YouTube for useful insights. They have an ongoing UI/UX cohorts and folks are still joining.

Twitter: Agba akin and Joseph Brendan, learnt a lot from these guys.

5 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
Next Topic is about

1)Creating a Portfolio
2)How many projects should you have as an upcoming designer.
3)Types of projects to include in your portfolio.
4) Where to post your works for optimum exposure.

In the meantime, could you help you fill this short surveys on e-commerce platforms.

My team is working on a project that deals with e-commerce platforms & we would like to get your opinions on your experiences on these platforms.

For online Shoppers
https://forms.gle/ZbXodyaiXbEvmBaj8

For online Merchants/Vendors/Services
https://forms.gle/hbUwRjq2zPiCQLAf6

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:18pm On Feb 25, 2022
Creating a portfolio
A portfolio is basically a showcase of your best projects as a Designer and shouldn’t be treated with brevity. I see many folks on twitter redesigning webpages, food apps, Fintech apps, ad infinitum. Apart from the fact that these stuffs have been done over and over again, most lack real depth. No definitive case studies or accompanying reasons, just hey guys, I just redesigned this and this or copied this concept and need your insights. This is good for absolute newbies or UI designers, but for someone who has undergone any kind of serious UI/UX training, you should be gunning for quality over quantity. Look for the hard cases that would highlight your understanding of

Grids, Structure, Layout etc.
Research
Information architecture
Navigation
UX writing
User flows
Taxonomy
Content Strategy
Form Design
System and app level design patterns
Responsiveness and accessibility etc.

Yes you can do the previous mentioned projects but standout by wording in how you used your understanding of the concepts above to improve whatever project you did. It doesn’t have to be a whole project, might be a single feature, a specific user journey, the navigation of a webpage etc.

How many projects
As a newbie, you don’t need 10 projects, find one to 3 quality projects to work on is enough, go through the medium link I posted above to get a more detailed understanding. You can even do 1 and start hunting for paid internships.

Types of projects to add to your portfolio

First identify the industry for the type of project you would like to work on, we have Tech, Education, E-commerce, Healthcare and fitness, NGO’s, Travel and hospitality, Energy, Banking and finance etc.

Then look at countries and what is trending there, take naija for example, Its fintech, online learning, agric-tech.
Countries like Uganda/Liberia would tilt more towards NGO’s while the US, Europe would be all about Gamification, AR, VR, Smart products etc. Point is if you’re aiming at working for foreign employers, work on projects that would catch their attention. How many Nigerian UX folks are looking towards designing Virtual and service experiences for example? Online learning is also on the increase all thanks to the havoc COVID wrecked. Think outside the box.

You can work on E-commerce (redefine user shopping experiences)
Editorial Projects (content strategy, IA)
Payment gateways
Hotel management portal/website
NGO collaborative portals, lead generation (funding, sponsors etc.)
ATM (redesign user experiences)
Voice UX (user feedback experience)
Experience Design (for an event, store, gov operations)
Big data
Lead generation landing pages that maximizes user conversions and so on.

I'll take about the sites where you can sign up to get practical experiences working on real life projects, find projects and all that later. I'll have to dig through a ton of saved bookmarks etc. Twitter and Reddit are very good places to find opportunities, many people looking for who to help them on their projects.

Where to post
LinkedIn- Wider Exposure to potential employers
Twitter – Network and make friends
Behance & Dribble – Fellow designers
Medium – Showcase your writing skills and reach a wide audience

3 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:51pm On Feb 28, 2022
Stumbled on another Comprehensive Product Design Course cheesy
https://www.uxdatabase.io/free-product-design-course-curriculum

Would be going through this, learning web.flow & taking sneak peeks at a product management course in the coming weeks. Curiosity may kill some cats but this one has 12 lives.

By the end of March, I intend to have completed the following projects as part of my portfolio. Already 2/5 done.

Mobile/Web projects
Refactoring case studies
Web3 project
UI designs
... still processing...

Until then.

Next Topic should be on Resumes & Job search hints.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by bestbiz17: 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hello, I really want to commend u for this thread. I just developed interest in this UI/UX design stuff. Do u offer like a mentorship prog or a guide? Everything seems so overwhelming. Awaiting ur reply soon.

2 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2022
bestbiz17:
Hello, I really want to commend u for this thread. I just developed interest in this UI/UX design stuff. Do u offer like a mentorship prog or a guide? Everything seems so overwhelming. Awaiting ur reply soon.

Thanks. Start from the free Accenture course to get a headstart, decide whether you prefer to specialize in UI or UX or both (very important) then you can decide to go for the google certification or another. Check the google drive links for UI course videos .

All I'm posting is actually a guide, I understand most won't like to read the walls of text but what drives each individual is different, I don't offer mentorship but you can join adplist.org for that. All the same feel free to dm me if you need any clarifications at any step in your UI/UX journey.

2 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by bestbiz17: 10:33pm On Mar 06, 2022
Thanks so much for the explanation. Will be starting d Accenture stuff soon
SKhanmi:

Thanks. Start from the free Accenture course to get a headstart, decide whether you prefer to specialize in UI or UX or both (very important) then you can decide to go for the google certification or another. Check the google drive links for UI course videos .

All I'm posting is actually a guide, I understand most won't like to read the walls of text but what drives each individual is different, I don't offer mentorship but you can join adplist.org for that. All the same feel free to dm me if you need any clarifications at any step in your UI/UX journey.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 6:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
Damn, days just fly by when you spend most of the time in front of screens. Living the dream in front of a box cry, Life of the 21st century man.

Been busy learning webflow, reading, working on my portfolio, other stuffs while still trying to lead a remote team for the DesignPal project mostly consisting of total newbies and some with a little experience. Phew!

Next time I'm going to be leading a design team, I'll either be totally ruthless in vetting members or reach out to reliable folks I've come across to form a handpicked team, I'll take an eager newbie that shows up everytime than a lackadaisical professional. Sure I already made enemies with the members I booted out and replaced Machiavelli style. No time!

Nothing beats having folks driven with the same intensity on a team. It's like a pride of lions conquering everything they come across.

Well, let's talk about resumes, cover letters and job searches.

3 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by 3exe3: 11:49pm On Mar 13, 2022
More ink to ur pen don't let ur hands tire out

...can we chat on WhatsApp
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 8:42pm On Mar 14, 2022
Bloody antispambot, think I'll just drop hints on how to craft a resume, cover letters & job searches post.

For the resume look for the 1 page template that contains only your details, experience, skills & education/certification in the link below.

The work experience part is very important, be brief and write in quantifiable terms e.g I designed websites vs I designed 3 websites that increased user conversions by over 50% for a Proptech company.

Also Search for information on how to make your CV a t s compliant*

Cover letters distinguish you from other candidates, I scored interviews back to back when I started putting more focus on it. Don't copy and paste. What I mostly do is visit the company website, read up on their values etc and look for stuff that would attract their interest. Like if you're a UI Designer for example, go through their website, look for shit you can improve and word it into your cover letter e.g "I noticed the navigation/color/design on your website www... is this and this, As a UI designer working for your company, I would have done it this way and that..,., infact check out this refactoring design I made of your site for comparison.

They would know you're paying attention. Make sure it contains a brief intro on yourself, your values, boast a little and talk about your capabilities and hammer on the value your would bring to them. No-go lie o. Oyo is your case during the interview.

Find a template and always edit to your taste. I'll edit and post a sample later.

Free Resume Resources by IchieUche(Twitter)
https://www.figma.com/community/file/1069420393073052137

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 8:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
3exe3:
More ink to ur pen don't let ur hands tire out

...can we chat on WhatsApp

Depends on what you want to talk about. I'm easy to reach here than on WhatsApp.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by 3exe3: 1:01am On Mar 15, 2022
SKhanmi:

Depends on what you want to talk about. I'm easy to reach here than on WhatsApp.

Ok just tryna create a network specially since I am new into product design

But no issue
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Alphaman007: 10:30am On Mar 15, 2022
Nice thread, I'm also in design pal working on the grabby app stuff

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 6:11am On Mar 19, 2022
3exe3:

Ok just tryna create a network specially since I am new into product design
But no issue
Feel free to shoot me a mail anytime. I check that regularly
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 6:12am On Mar 19, 2022
Alphaman007:
Nice thread, I'm also in design pal working on the grabby app stuff

How is it going? Started designing screens yet?
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Alphaman007: 7:19am On Mar 19, 2022
SKhanmi:

How is it going? Started designing screens yet?
Going fine bro, we just finished the information architecture and hopefully we start wireframes today.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by brijibs: 8:17am On Mar 22, 2022
SKhanmi:
Before we start I noticed many people especially HR's are confused with design roles and the skillset that differentiates each, although most are guilty of just copying role descriptions from other job adverts. You can easily tell those who have no single idea of what the job role entails, this should help clear your doubts and also avoid places where they are deliberately looking for unicorns at cheap rates. Will try & explain all clearly.

1) UX Designer.
make a product or service usable, enjoyable, and accessible, they focus on user’s satisfaction and ensures the product fulfills the user’s need.
E.g. How does entering a danfo bus and a BRT feel? Which one makes you enter aggressive mode? How do you act when bringing out your IPhone 11 in both buses? Do you crave for the seats of a danfo? They are so soft and comfortable right? That’s what UX is about, the feeling.

2) UI Designer.
builds the interfaces for machines or software. They focus on the looks and what they convey.
E.g. When you look at the BRT and a danfo shape, what comes to your mind: Rough & Rugged or Calm and Chill? When you look at their respective seats, what memory does your butt reminds you of? When you enter a danfo, do you instinctively know the bad seats? The ones with no back support or are bent at a 35 degree? UI designers focus on intuitive design

3) Graphic Designer/Web Designer.
both focus on aesthetics but the main difference is the graphic designer focuses on prints publications, branding & advertising while the web designer focuses exclusively on creating the visuals for websites, apps, and digital products.
One communicates an idea/info through individual graphics while the other creates polished websites, apps etc. with the appropriate look and feel.

4) Front End developer.
is a software engineer who implements web designs done by a UI designer (backed by research from a UX designer) through coding languages like HTML, CSS and JavaScript. They are also called web developers.

5) Product Designer.
A product designer on the other hand ensures a product is relevant, functional and is cost effective. It’s like the Full Stack of design. They manage the whole process and more (UX, UI, Coding, Project Management, Product roadmap etc.), their job is to solve problems that might spring up from the initial process at any stage in time.
This should not be confused with product management, product designers solve problems and are responsible for its quality and integrity while product managers are responsible for the process organization: they organize the work of the former, decide on the priorities and assign tasks.

6) Design Unicorn.
is a jack of all trades that can do all or most of the above thoroughly and efficiently at an affordable price. That kind of person can research, design, code, write, create and edit contents, creating animations, pitch to stakeholders, manage sales, offer business advice etc. all alone, . Na one man army, no assistants. Seeing as most of the above job descriptions takes years to even get a grip on, my advice on seeing such job listings is to run, such organizations have no clear cut role for you. You will eventually end up doing almost anything. And the pay and stress won’t be worth it.

Good morning and thanks so much for this.
Please, do you have any resources for graphics design? I'd like to learn that too.
If you have any tutorials or you can point me to where I can get some, please do.
Thank you once again.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 5:42am On Mar 23, 2022
brijibs:

Good morning and thanks so much for this.
Please, do you have any resources for graphics design? I'd like to learn that too.
If you have any tutorials or you can point me to where I can get some, please do.
Thank you once again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/africa/creative-cloud/tutorials-explore.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/africa/creative-cloud/user-guide.html.

Use YouTube regularly & search for graphic design resources on Twitter, they get shared now and then.

Note: you'll learn faster trying to replicate designs done by others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Code Lagos Out-of-school Program Batch-5 To Begin Class On Monday / Ludo Game Algorithm Wanted For AI Project / Why I Love Ruby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.