Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,565 members, 7,958,748 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:22 PM

2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED (11658 Views)

17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer / Product Designer - UI /UX / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 9:03pm On Nov 25, 2022
Took some days break and came back to the issue. Was able to get the interactions to a particular degree and optimized the page across 3 breakpoints.

Changed the hero page picture to something more appropriate.

https://boris-fintech-site.webflow.io/clevertask

2 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by lumcylolly(m): 6:42am On Nov 26, 2022
If you have coding knowledge; please bring it to us through this WhatsApp group link:https:///FzAR3efLqH85I0w0NS49gT
Your contribution is so much needed
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2022
Transformer decided to pack up, Long fuel queues- still couldn't get angry It's looking like a forced timeout for me and my devices this time around, Don't mind anyway, been getting complaints about my appearance. I need to go out anyway for an extended period of time and stop looking like a fresh ghoul. Nigeria's got your back man wink Nonsense.

In the meantime, My linkedin has been having multiple views since I optimized it using venzals method, Scored 2 interviews, they actually reached out to me, one in nigeria, the other in turkey. Think I applied for a remote intern role for the latter.

Missed the interview appointment for the turkey own, Was supposed to set a date using calendly, didn't see the invite until it was too late, need to reconfigure my mobile notifications. Damn!

Took the second one today. I like the guy, he went straight to the point, they were a company that had been advised to take on the services of a UIUX designer for their web apps. Had to explain the roles of a UI and UX designer and how it ties in with the project they have on ground.

Not to waste time, Did a quick audit of their website and the wireframes a UI designer did for them ( kinda basic and unrefined though but would work), sent them a brief sample of some UX audit issues ( found like 20+, listed 5 and explained 2 ) and a revision of one of their major wireframes. Told them to get back to me if they'll like to move forward with contract terms and closed laptop.

I like scenarios like this, don't waste my time with useless numerous interviews, I won't waste yours with crammed drivel ! If I can't do it, you'll know.

4 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2022
On webflow, I found several online communities that have been quite helpful with hints. And I've helped up to 3 individuals in resolving errors with their sites on reddit, learnt a thing or two.

Most of us wait to be perfect before creating portfolios or looking for jobs/gigs. These guys just start with what they can do and shoot their shots. Folks would also take advantage of your skills and knowledges , no forget to shine eye.

Anyways, Let me go and update my little discord group ( We're trying to hone our webflow skills by replicating websites using regular challenges )

I'll just apply for jobs and practice webflow until things come back to normal.

Webflow learning path looks like this:

1. Finish Webflow university videos
2. Learn client-first
3. Learn Wized (turn website into web apps)
4. Xano (No-code backend builder)
5. Take a shot at upwork ( need to upgrade my behance to qt.guru UI designer's friend portfolio level first ), Shouldn't take me 2 weeks if I'm serious.

Ire o.

4 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2022
Woke up and Thought I should try my hand at opening an Upwork account using one video someone dropped around this section, venzal's? Don't even remember.

Surprise, found out I already opened one successfully and abandoned it halfway through profile creation back in 2020, Ha! Osanobua! shocked

Finished editing it & changed the skillset. Played around & sent a proposal. I'll start looking for similar profiles in my niche tomorrow & pattern my profile to look more professional.

Was bored & went out for some fun, everywhere just empty. Kai! It's a small town though, lag no fit be like this laye, Police hold me for bike sef, Should have worn my normal rough clothes. I need to invent a new profession with a cooked up story to match. Olopa no dey use ear hear remote/online/virtual. You look fresh, you're a yahoo boy.

Started learning-client first, back to polishing my webflow design skills.

The Upwork gigs look promising

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2022
One of 10 revised landing pages already designed in figma. Checking if it meets WCAG requirements before developing with webflow.
Original website looks like this www.teveral.com

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 10:53pm On Dec 15, 2022
Webflow temporary link: https://bs-test-site.webflow.io

Completed figma designs and finished designs across all breakpoints

Videos:
Breakpoints - https://vimeo.com/782160081/a572ce04c7
Desktop main view - https://vimeo.com/782159439/d3687a35ba

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by FRANCISTOWN: 3:44am On Jan 13, 2023
lumcylolly:
If you have coding knowledge; please bring it to us through this WhatsApp group link:https:///FzAR3efLqH85I0w0NS49gT
Your contribution is so much needed
The link is broken
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by socialmedia012: 10:57am On Mar 16, 2023
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work clipping path service company
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by socialmedia012: 11:09am On Mar 16, 2023
You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. clipping path service
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 12:34pm On Sep 05
Just scrolled through the first 2 pages of the programming section and nothing to write about.

Let me update my progress😂
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by Konetech: 2:44pm On Sep 05
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 11:09am On Sep 12
angry That nonsense spam bot wiped a post , think I’ll just summarize
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 9:56pm On Sep 18
Put the summary in a p ng file.

TLDR :
Learn the basics and get a good grasp asap
Build practical projects, end goal is to mostly revenue to your employers
Put yourself out there, referrals would get you a job or gig faster.
Have a source of income , never quit your job to jump into tech
Have a timeline. Pivot if needed if you didn't achieve your aims.

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 1:53pm On Sep 19
I was looking for this thread to read updates. I'm happy you've updated it. My issue with design is; its subjective. There's no "standard" measure for it.

For a quiet, laid back person you'll struggle to sell your design decisions to stakeholders and your team so the outspoken person decisions will be accepted despite that it is trash

Another issue is most employers value ui skills more than ux skills when the core of product design is ux and design thinking.

You've captured the tech industry in Nigeria in your post. Its not easy at all

I remember yiure one of the doman ogs, have you stopped Domaining? Which remote job are you talking about if you don't mind (man is hustling)

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 2:38pm On Sep 19
InteliJ:
I was looking for this thread to read updates. I'm happy you've updated it. My issue with design is; its subjective. There's no "standard" measure for it.

For a quiet, laid back person you'll struggle to sell your design decisions to stakeholders and your team so the outspoken person decisions will be accepted despite that it is trash

Another issue is most employers value ui skills more than ux skills when the core of product design is ux and design thinking.

You've captured the tech industry in Nigeria in your post. Its not easy at all

I remember yiure one of the doman ogs, have you stopped Domaining? Which remote job are you talking about if you don't mind (man is hustling)

You’re right. Different standards abounds.

You better be able to sweet talk your shareholders. The so called team lead had bad ui taste & was the jealous small minded type. Fellow nigerian o, I zoned out when I noticed he went back & had my approved web edits redone his own way. Which was a joke for an org looking to attract investors. Already told them they wouldn’t be taken seriously if your webpages looked like something an amateur stacked together.

That aside, met so many outspoken designers with shitty designs, We had to clean up some of their designs. Imagine that one as your team lead, na die una dey. And they get paid more.

Even the UI, They tend to see you as just a graphic designer, Few understand the UX aspect.

I still do domaining. It’s expensive nowadays but worth it.

Look into Airbnb Arbitrage. Best of luck
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 4:31pm On Sep 19
SKhanmi:

You’re right. Different standards abounds.

You better be able to sweet talk your shareholders. The so called team lead had bad ui taste & was the jealous small minded type. Fellow nigerian o, I zoned out when I noticed he went back & had my approved web edits redone his own way. Which was a joke for an org looking to attract investors. Already told them they wouldn’t be taken seriously if your webpages looked like something an amateur stacked together.

That aside, met so many outspoken designers with shitty designs, We had to clean up some of their designs. Imagine that one as your team lead, na die una dey. And they get paid more.

Even the UI, They tend to see you as just a graphic designer, Few understand the UX aspect.

I still do domaining. It’s expensive nowadays but worth it.

Look into Airbnb Arbitrage. Best of luck
Yeah

If its code atleast everyone knows when sth works or when sth doesn't work

For design, everybody get im own taste. Even hiring managers or recruiters have their own taste when screening portfolios grin

Your design lead is not professional at all or maybe cos it's a startup

Yeahh most product designers are graphic designers if you want to follow the strict definition of product design

Why is it expensive now na ? are you doing more of emd domains. There's this Airbnb group I'm in, its all about renting out Airbnb and all that...make I check out what Arbitrage is. Thank you
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 7:31pm On Sep 19
InteliJ:

Yeah

If its code atleast everyone knows when sth works or when sth doesn't work

For design, everybody get im own taste. Even hiring managers or recruiters have their own taste when screening portfolios grin

Your design lead is not professional at all or maybe cos it's a startup

Yeahh most product designers are graphic designers if you want to follow the strict definition of product design

Why is it expensive now na ? are you doing more of emd domains. There's this Airbnb group I'm in, its all about renting out Airbnb and all that...make I check out what Arbitrage is. Thank you

Yeah, they can’t ignore code. Nah, dude was just jealous I was better than him. There’s always a difference between designers who had quality training and those who didn’t. It’s why I don’t recommend the self-taught path without a mentor in the industry.

It’s a whole mess, Most of them are lowkey clueless what to look for. The experience is good though.

Domaining requires more startup capital if you’re just starting now, prices have increased, how many can afford even godaddy closeouts? I don buy domains of 50k+ 100k+ with nothing to show in the end talk more of months of sales drought. More of geos, I only foray into emds if I do proper research. We can’t give up though.

Yeah, you’re in the right place. Or check out Grace short term rental academy on Fb
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 8:28am On Sep 20
SKhanmi:

Yeah, they can’t ignore code. Nah, dude was just jealous I was better than him. There’s always a difference between designers who had quality training and those who didn’t. It’s why I don’t recommend the self-taught path without a mentor in the industry.

It’s a whole mess, Most of them are lowkey clueless what to look for. The experience is good though.

Domaining requires more startup capital if you’re just starting now, prices have increased, how many can afford even godaddy closeouts? I don buy domains of 50k+ 100k+ with nothing to show in the end talk more of months of sales drought. More of geos, I only foray into emds if I do proper research. We can’t give up though.

Yeah, you’re in the right place. Or check out Grace short term rental academy on Fb
Quality education is top tier for real, the issue is design education is expensive. True, mentor is very important make person know wetin im dey do

Hiring managers are clueless, most of them favor "graphic designers" than product designers

The dollar rate now go make one geo from expired domains sell for 14k minimum. Ed names still get quality? Abi saturation don reach there too

I've checked it out, is like this business go require close to a million or more to start o
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 2:08pm On Sep 20
InteliJ:

Quality education is top tier for real, the issue is design education is expensive. True, mentor is very important make person know wetin im dey do

Hiring managers are clueless, most of them favor "graphic designers" than product designers

The dollar rate now go make one geo from expired domains sell for 14k minimum. Ed names still get quality? Abi saturation don reach there too

I've checked it out, is like this business go require close to a million or more to start o

Yeah, it’s really expensive, I’ve been lucky most of the time.

Na still the pay dey vex me. They know what they’re doing, you’ll fill 3-5 roles and dem fit dey offer 80-120k. Lol.

Ed names has jewels if you know where to look and have the cash.

Nope, thats for those who want to provide buildings for AirBnb. We have investors who are looking for properties to buy, Property managers, Assistants to Owners etc. So many sectors where you don’t need money to start. It’s better you sign up for her course so you can understand better.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 8:22pm On Sep 20
SKhanmi:

Yeah, it’s really expensive, I’ve been lucky most of the time.

Na still the pay dey vex me. They know what they’re doing, you’ll fill 3-5 roles and dem fit dey offer 80-120k. Lol.

Ed names has jewels if you know where to look and have the cash.

Nope, thats for those who want to provide buildings for AirBnb. We have investors who are looking for properties to buy, Property managers, Assistants to Owners etc. So many sectors where you don’t need money to start. It’s better you sign up for her course so you can understand better.
grin ;D150k? I thought they pay well o...I've never seen such low offer before

Chai Ed that year, I dey scout names like say... funny enough when you select finish no be all go sell lmao. Its nice to hear the site is still running. I saw online that Dan is merging with afternic. Idk how such move will affect domajners

Okay thank you , I'll do so and let you know how far. You don try for me🙏
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 9:28pm On Sep 20
InteliJ:

grin ;D150k? I thought they pay well o...I've never seen such low offer before

Chai Ed that year, I dey scout names like say... funny enough when you select finish no be all go sell lmao. Its nice to hear the site is still running. I saw online that Dan is merging with afternic. Idk how such move will affect domajners

Okay thank you , I'll do so and let you know how far. You don try for me🙏

Companies that pay well exist. But some are taking advantage of the glut of designers in the market. No be say dem go reduce years of experience o, ndi ala people.

Everything na risk. Some will sell, some won't. After a while you start to notice a pattern. I know some keywords that would always sell. The unique ones are the ones that your gut knows would sell no matter what. It's a case of research/preparation meets opportunity.

Won't really affect domainers, just that godaddy is greedy. Dem fit increase commission later.

You're welcome
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 10:05pm On Sep 20
Nl is restricting me from commenting, not sure why

and them go increase the responsibilities too, na one person go do graphic design, motion design, interaction design, ux research, ui design, ux design, testing, familiar with html, css and JS grin

Yeah some names must sell but they're rarely available to buy. I like some cities too; texas, cities in California, new York inshort white dominated cities

So Greedy, 20% commission like say na dem follow me outbound. They've the money too, I think they want to be mo.n.opoly

I saw she has a cou.rse on sel.ar titled "Enro.ll into Short Term Rentals and Virtual Property Management School" worth 20k. Is that the co.urse pls? Make I know if I go pro.ceed
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 10:20pm On Sep 20
Nl bot dey worry seriously
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 11:03pm On Sep 20
InteliJ:
Nl is restricting me from commenting, not sure why

and them go increase the responsibilities too, na one person go do graphic design, motion design, interaction design, ux research, ui design, ux design, testing, familiar with html, css and JS grin

Yeah some names must sell but they're rarely available to buy. I like some cities too; texas, cities in California, new York inshort white dominated cities

So Greedy, 20% commission like say na dem follow me outbound. They've the money too, I think they want to be mo.n.opoly

I saw she has a cou.rse on sel.ar titled "Enro.ll into Short Term Rentals and Virtual Property Management School" worth 20k. Is that the co.urse pls? Make I know if I go pro.ceed

That thing get choko for head.

Especially when they notice you had a lot of additional skills. No be me.

Sometimes but dem dey plenty for closeouts etc sometimes, That's godaddy for you.

Check her posts, she's registering people for training currently. It's 23k
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 6:23am On Sep 21
SKhanmi:

That thing get choko for head.

Especially when they notice you had a lot of additional skills. No be me.

Sometimes but dem dey plenty for closeouts etc sometimes, That's godaddy for you.

Check her posts, she's registering people for training currently. It's 23k
I try for over 30mins before e work

I'm telling you, you're even unqualified for them if you don't have other skills asides the main requirements they can exploit for free

Closeouts na for big men dem, I never participated in that one

Okay thank you! make I use last card go register grin so I can know if I'll be able to do the hustle. Any tips?

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by SKhanmi: 3:19pm On Sep 21
InteliJ:

I try for over 30mins before e work

I'm telling you, you're even unqualified for them if you don't have other skills asides the main requirements they can exploit for free

Closeouts na for big men dem, I never participated in that one

Okay thank you! make I use last card go register grin so I can know if I'll be able to do the hustle Any tips?

Pick one or two options in the training and stick to it. And show up until you see results.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer | COMPLETED by InteliJ(f): 5:19pm On Sep 21
SKhanmi:

Pick one or two options in the training and stick to it. And show up until you see results.

Okay thank you very much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please How Do I Remove Shortcut Virus On My Android. / Letter From The Moderator - Please Read / How To Convert Folder/file To Jpeg Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.