Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer (10278 Views)

17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer / Product Designer - UI /UX / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2022
SpongeBob0006, noticed you sent me a mail, I don't have access to it, Reach me through the email address in the first post on this thread.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by spongebob0006(f): 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2022
SKhanmi:
SpongeBob0006, noticed you sent me a mail, I don't have access to it, Reach me through the email address in the first post on this thread.

Just messaged you. Please check.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by brijibs: 7:06pm On Apr 26, 2022
SKhanmi:

https://helpx.adobe.com/africa/creative-cloud/tutorials-explore.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/africa/creative-cloud/user-guide.html.

Use YouTube regularly & search for graphic design resources on Twitter, they get shared now and then.

Note: you'll learn faster trying to replicate designs done by others.

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 9:41pm On Aug 09, 2022
Wow, see cobwebs everywhere, took a break, Changed locations,Been learning so many new stuffs & making money off it. Hint: DeFi is really wink

In the meantime, let's see how fast I can get back up to date with this. I'll be starting with bubble no code development, will resume posting this Friday.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:57pm On Aug 14, 2022
Went to check out bubble no code development, watched the first 10 crash course videos and tried to build a landing page from scratch before trying out the templates option.

Damn! shocked I like it, unlike figma, you just drag and drop and edit in the pop up window that comes and you can easily see your changes in a test version on another tab etc... if one has a template on ground already. It saves a lot of time using a tool like this.

The templates are also good, just edit to your taste. I'm stuck with the colors though, haven't figured out whether they were first done in Photoshop/illustrator, saved as PNG files and uploaded as the background. Anyway I'll try post the 2 designs here later.

In the meantime, I have two case studies , one done by myself from start to finish, and another by a remote team I led. Already registered for another course which would add 3 more live projects making five plus I'll get to learn webflow on that also.

But....why wait till then. Let me polish up the case studies I have and my LinkedIn page & start applying, let's see what's lurking in the market for me lipsrsealed
Used to attend interviews just to learn back then. It helped though, being confident, persuasive & likeable can get you far. Most employers tend to hire the more likeable candidate but try get skills also to show.

Still have a very low tolerance level to BS though.

All thanks to nysc & workforce back then for making me angrily draw up my no 3rd time rule. Shitty employers, shitty interviews & recruitment processes, lack lustre colleagues and I'm noping out. Nigerians and normalizing madness undecided

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Alphaman007: 1:10pm On Aug 15, 2022
SKhanmi:
Went to check out bubble no code development, watched the first 10 crash course videos and tried to build a landing page from scratch before trying out the templates option.

Damn! shocked I like it, unlike figma, you just drag and drop and edit in the pop up window that comes and you can easily see your changes in a test version on another tab etc... if one has a template on ground already. It saves a lot of time using a tool like this.

The templates are also good, just edit to your taste. I'm stuck with the colors though, haven't figured out whether they were first done in Photoshop/illustrator, saved as PNG files and uploaded as the background. Anyway I'll try post the 2 designs here later.

In the meantime, I have two case studies , one done by myself from start to finish, and another by a remote team I led. Already registered for another course which would add 3 more live projects making five plus I'll get to learn webflow on that also.

But....why wait till then. Let me polish up the case studies I have and my LinkedIn page & start applying, let's see what's lurking in the market for me lipsrsealed
Used to attend interviews just to learn back then. It helped though, being confident, persuasive & likeable can get you far. Most employers tend to hire the more likeable candidate but try get skills also to show.

Still have a very low tolerance level to BS though.

All thanks to nysc & workforce back then for making me angrily draw up my no 3rd time rule. Shitty employers, shitty interviews & recruitment processes, lack lustre colleagues and I'm noping out. Nigerians and normalizing madness undecided

nice one boss, Are you talking about the joe brendan's lowcode bootcamp coming up?
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2022
Alphaman007:

nice one boss, Are you talking about the joe brendan's lowcode bootcamp coming up?

Yep, you got that right.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by nnamdiosu(m): 11:26am On Aug 16, 2022
SKhanmi:
Before we start I noticed many people especially HR's are confused with design roles and the skillset that differentiates each, although most are guilty of just copying role descriptions from other job adverts. You can easily tell those who have no single idea of what the job role entails, this should help clear your doubts and also avoid places where they are deliberately looking for unicorns at cheap rates. Will try & explain all clearly.

1) UX Designer.
make a product or service usable, enjoyable, and accessible, they focus on user’s satisfaction and ensures the product fulfills the user’s need.
E.g. How does entering a danfo bus and a BRT feel? Which one makes you enter aggressive mode? How do you act when bringing out your IPhone 11 in both buses? Do you crave for the seats of a danfo? They are so soft and comfortable right? That’s what UX is about, the feeling.

2) UI Designer.
builds the interfaces for machines or software. They focus on the looks and what they convey.
E.g. When you look at the BRT and a danfo shape, what comes to your mind: Rough & Rugged or Calm and Chill? When you look at their respective seats, what memory does your butt reminds you of? When you enter a danfo, do you instinctively know the bad seats? The ones with no back support or are bent at a 35 degree? UI designers focus on intuitive design

3) Graphic Designer/Web Designer.
both focus on aesthetics but the main difference is the graphic designer focuses on prints publications, branding & advertising while the web designer focuses exclusively on creating the visuals for websites, apps, and digital products.
One communicates an idea/info through individual graphics while the other creates polished websites, apps etc. with the appropriate look and feel.

4) Front End developer.
is a software engineer who implements web designs done by a UI designer (backed by research from a UX designer) through coding languages like HTML, CSS and JavaScript. They are also called web developers.

5) Product Designer.
A product designer on the other hand ensures a product is relevant, functional and is cost effective. It’s like the Full Stack of design. They manage the whole process and more (UX, UI, Coding, Project Management, Product roadmap etc.), their job is to solve problems that might spring up from the initial process at any stage in time.
This should not be confused with product management, product designers solve problems and are responsible for its quality and integrity while product managers are responsible for the process organization: they organize the work of the former, decide on the priorities and assign tasks.

6) Design Unicorn.
is a jack of all trades that can do all or most of the above thoroughly and efficiently at an affordable price. That kind of person can research, design, code, write, create and edit contents, creating animations, pitch to stakeholders, manage sales, offer business advice etc. all alone, . Na one man army, no assistants. Seeing as most of the above job descriptions takes years to even get a grip on, my advice on seeing such job listings is to run, such organizations have no clear cut role for you. You will eventually end up doing almost anything. And the pay and stress won’t be worth it.

Very nice. Well done.

However, are you saying there is a difference.between a web designer and a front end developer?
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 12:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
nnamdiosu:

Very nice. Well done.

However, are you saying there is a difference.between a web designer and a front end developer?

Yes, Imagine I used bubble to create a webpage, having no knowledge/experience of coding(html,css,Js) does that make me a front end developer? Could I drop into a discussion with 2 other front end developers and understand shit when they start talking about conditional loops, arity, rule sets, selectors and other programming jargons? Absolutely not, I'm just a mere GUI designer.

An architect designs, the bricklayer builds. Now it's a different thing if one person decides to learn both skills, which is common in the tech world. I'm just against the ambiguous manner these titles are sometimes used by individuals & employers. We all know how that goes.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by nnamdiosu(m): 12:18pm On Aug 16, 2022
SKhanmi:

Yes, Imagine I used bubble to create a webpage, having no knowledge/experience of coding(html,css,Js) does that make me a front end developer? Could I drop into a discussion with 2 other front end developers and understand shit when they start talking about conditional loops, arity, rule sets, selectors and other programming jargons? Absolutely not, I'm just a mere GUI designer.

An architect designs, the bricklayer builds. Now it's a different thing if one person decides to learn both skills, which is common in the tech world. I'm just against the ambiguous manner these titles are sometimes used by individuals & employers. We all know how that goes.

Ok, I get you. However...conditional loops, arity, rule sets, selectors and other programming jargons..that's for the backend developer na.

Or am I missing something? Perhaps u means there is a difference between backend developer and a web designer/front end developer?

Kindly clarify please.

Nice one, your teachings are apt
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2022
nnamdiosu:

Ok, I get you. However...conditional loops, arity, rule sets, selectors and other programming jargons..that's for the backend developer na.

Or am I missing something? Perhaps u means there is a difference between backend developer and a web designer/front end developer?

Kindly clarify please.

Nice one, your teachings are apt

Thanks, those terms are quite common in front end development also as far as I know. If statements for example? anyone can understand that.

And differentiating between a backend dev & web designer? Nope.

Let's just say #Web design is an encompassing term like #Creative Design hence the confusion that comes with it. It's a parent word and we could fit all above-mentioned roles under it if we wanted.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by nnamdiosu(m): 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2022
SKhanmi:

Thanks, those terms are quite common in front end development also as far as I know. If statements for example? anyone can understand that.

And differentiating between a backend dev & web designer? Nope.

Let's just say #Web design is an encompassing term like #Creative Design hence the confusion that comes with it. It's a parent word and we could fit all above-mentioned roles under it if we wanted.

Ok. I get your point. Thanks. Ride on
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:36am On Aug 25, 2022
Trying to take things one at a time nowadays. There's so much to do and learn.

Back to no code development, for those interested, this is a structured bootcamp on Bubble. Don't know if it would be better than what's available in the bubble tutorial videos.

Deadline is today though. It's free.

https://millionlabs.co.uk/no-code_bootcamps
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by alakara(m): 11:25am On Aug 25, 2022
SKhanmi:
Trying to take things one at a time nowadays. There's so much to do and learn.

Back to no code development, for those interested, this is a structured bootcamp on Bubble. Don't know if it would be better than what's available in the bubble tutorial videos.

Deadline is today though. It's free.

Pls, can you tell me the details of this bootcamp.

https://millionlabs.co.uk/no-code_bootcamps
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 9:12am On Aug 31, 2022
Alakara

Funny dude, the link would have explained it na. Hope you registered Sha?

Simply put, learning no code tools like bubble webflow is an alternative to learning html css and JavaScript from scratch. You can create, see and test your designs faster on the web in real time with bubble instead of waiting for the front end developer.

Trust me I've tried the above markup languages and this is easier for those not really interested in plunging into programming
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2022
I need to finish up a previous project and would be needing at least 5 UI designers as volunteers to make things faster. You'll be added to the team list and given access to the finished case study to exhibit in your portfolio.

Contact me through the email in the first post if you're interested.

No newbies though, I won't be micromanaging anyone, need folks who can work without supervision, templates and directions would be given and the UI designers would just duplicate and modify as needed.

This is perfect for those looking to build their portfolios.

Hint: It is a mobile ecommerce app. Depending on time, I may decide to also create a web version.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Yarikson: 12:10pm On Sep 29, 2022
And what do you end up with? At the very end of the road to becoming a product designer? Let's say you can learn how to design products beautifully, but how much money can you end up getting for your work? Let's say from this article on mobile development, it's clear that the https://www.hallwil.com/blog/average-cost-mobile-website is not as high as you'd like, only up to $5,000 or am I wrong?
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 9:53pm On Oct 01, 2022
Yarikson:
And what do you end up with? At the very end of the road to becoming a product designer? Let's say you can learn how to design products beautifully, but how much money can you end up getting for your work? Let's say from this article on mobile development, it's clear that the https://www.hallwil.com/blog/average-cost-mobile-website is not as high as you'd like, only up to $5,000 or am I wrong?

Don't know if you're trying to drive traffic to that link in a smart way or asking a genuine question. Let me reach the end first, I'll know what to do. It is important but I'm not in this primarily because of the pay, that's for those who only have skills but no business sense and the ability to create multiple streams of income. You can make more than $5k if you know what you're doing.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 9:58pm On Oct 01, 2022
Phew!, It's been a while. Was finally able to streamline my activities to a select few. I have like 5 tech courses I've abandoned till later. They are not really useful to my product design journey right now (product management, crypto/defi etc), just my curiosity running rampant. Even completed and passed the aws cloud practitioner exam ( that might actually be useful in future), very interesting sector.

Back to Joseph Brendan's course, I'm really glad I took it even though I'm not a newbie.

Remember I mentioned trying to learn bubble? I actually went through some videos and got a good grasp of the fundamentals, I'm good at learning to use tools on a go.
Since I had some graphics design experience I was able to create some screens but it was agonizingly slow...and I remembered while I ran away from graphics design again, The long hours, unappreciated value of the designers and the poor pay.

So, yes I can do UI but I was starting to dislike it, until Joseph brendan showed me I was going after UI like a graphics designer instead of a software development angle.....Design stuff from scratch, grouping stuff, eyeballing padding spaces etc.

Guess just 2 things that made me stay up throughout the night feverishly working on my UI designs again.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:02pm On Oct 01, 2022
Learning about the Box model & Autolayout! I looked back at the my previous struggles in UI designing and almost cried, chai, I don suffer, ignorance is not a good thing at all. Guess that's what you get from watching basics youtube videos, definitely better to learn from those already working/have real life experience in the industry.

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 10:12pm On Oct 01, 2022
Simple things like paddings, margins, grids, constrains, I no sabi. Actually knew about the grid but was like what? No wonder I wanted to stick only to UX design because I innately knew if push comes to shove, The pixel perfect UI ( yes I've applied for some internships and the feedback on the UI tasks i did was laudable) designs I could create would not be defendable or grounded in a definite process. Everything go be guesswork and photoshop paparazzi vibrance use wink

Well, enough of the wailing. I went back and created a 10 page website within 5 hours, jumped next into designing responsive tailwind empty state css components until I burned it into my brain angry

Realized all this would make learning Webflow and Bubble easier.

Below is one of the UI designs I created, last one is for the Aptlearn UX Internship (dashboard design), I chop rejection mail sha, we move.

And the rest are responsive tailwind CSS component designs and an order history screen. Guess which one that has no defined process? grin

1 Like

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by LadyTara(f): 9:01am On Oct 02, 2022
Just got into UI design ,thanks for this thread alot of pointers here.

2 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Emeraldfynest(m): 5:02pm On Oct 02, 2022
Do you have any resources you can recommend for learning the box model?
SKhanmi:
Learning about the Box model & Autolayout! I looked back at the my previous struggles in UI designing and almost cried, chai, I don suffer, ignorance is not a good thing at all. Guess that's what you get from watching basics youtube videos, definitely better to learn from those already working/have real life experience in the industry.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:25pm On Oct 02, 2022
Emeraldfynest:
Do you have any resources you can recommend for learning the box model?

Not really, It's actually a simple concept, just see everything on a webpage as belonging to a container/boxes, including the text. And you can add properties( borders, margin, padding, content ) to those containers.

See the sample I attached below. This webpage can be divided into 6 major boxes as seen on the left, which can further be broken down into smaller boxes down to the text itself.

Then you connect everything by adding properties which enables you to have absolute control of the design of the whole webpage down to the smallest element and eliminate guesswork. If asked the margin between the ( discount price tag and the like icon ) and the (amount, product description and the plus button) or the padding between the bracketed content and its container, You can easily provide figures. Same goes for everything else.

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2022
This plan.zer web.site redesign I did, normally I'll just create a frame, type in the text, use text alignment to arrange everything and group, use eye judge am, on to the next one. If I was a Kazeem, I'll make a good google join-join mechanic tongue

Could I give a definite answer if the front end developer asked me what was the margins/ paddings between the texts, elements and main content frame, na to turn am into fight. No wonder there's a lot of friction between those 2 groups.

Still learning a lot though, how to showcase yourself on Linked.in, ux writing, creating a style guide backed with defendable decisions etc. Haven't gotten to where I'll get stumped yet since I'm quite familiar with most but let's wait and see, there are golden nuggets here and there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 11:42pm On Oct 02, 2022
I have to catch up with the cs.s and web.flow topics, seriously lagging behind, back to binge watching the courses, low motivation or not. Almost Everyone I know don travel go UK/canada finish.

2 Likes

Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by ElGabi(m): 5:08am On Oct 03, 2022
SKhanmi:
Phew!, It's been a while. Was finally able to streamline my activities to a select few. I have like 5 tech courses I've abandoned till later. They are not really useful to my product design journey right now (product management, crypto/defi etc), just my curiosity running rampant. Even completed and passed the aws cloud practitioner exam ( that might actually be useful in future), very interesting sector.
Hello, please drop resources and/or links to product management courses for beginners. Thanks

Back to Joseph Brendan's course, I'm really glad I took it even though I'm not a newbie.

Remember I mentioned trying to learn bubble? I actually went through some videos and got a good grasp of the fundamentals, I'm good at learning to use tools on a go.
Since I had some graphics design experience I was able to create some screens but it was agonizingly slow...and I remembered while I ran away from graphics design again, The long hours, unappreciated value of the designers and the poor pay.

So, yes I can do UI but I was starting to dislike it, until Joseph brendan showed me I was going after UI like a graphics designer instead of a software development angle.....Design stuff from scratch, grouping stuff, eyeballing padding spaces etc.

Guess just 2 things that made me stay up throughout the night feverishly working on my UI designs again.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 8:20am On Oct 03, 2022
ElGabi

https://aptlearn.io/courses/product-management-certification-course/

Came across like 2/3 others back then on Twitter, will post if I find them.
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by Alphaman007: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2022
SKhanmi:
ElGabi

https://aptlearn.io/courses/product-management-certification-course/

Came across like 2/3 others back then on Twitter, will post if I find them.
Hi bro. Nice work keeping the thread alive. How far have you gone with learning bubble? did you attend joseph's bootcamp?
Re: 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer by SKhanmi: 9:54am On Oct 03, 2022
Alphaman007:

Hi bro. Nice work keeping the thread alive. How far have you gone with learning bubble? did you attend joseph's bootcamp?

Thanks, I can create web pages and connect them to a database and also modify the interactions, that's how far I've gone with bubble. Shelved it till later.

Yeah, I'm currently attending the bootcamp. You're there also?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Programming Not Enough Anymore: Data Analysis, Ml And A.i Is The Future. / Code Lagos Out-of-school Program Batch-5 To Begin Class On Monday / Ludo Game Algorithm Wanted For AI Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.