Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,423 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? (3068 Views)

Bible Bombshell: Jesus Christ Invented By Romans As ‘psychological Warfare’ / My Old Nairaland Posts When I Was Still Delusioned By Religion / Poverty In Nigeria Is Caused By Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by cornelboy(f): 9:27am On Jan 12, 2022
There are a lot of reasons to believe that hell (a place of suffering after death) doesn't exist:
° in the old testament (OT) God never warned the children of Israel bout any possibility of suffering after death. He didn't mention hell to any of the patriarchs and prophets rather God gave them physical punishment.
When did the penalty of sin changed from death to hell fire?

° if hell is really a place of punishment to warn people about, why didn't Paul, Peter and other apostles emphasize on it? Why didn't they mention it in their Epistles or book of Acts?

°Hell fire is one of Roman Catholic dogmas.... probably invented to coerce people to convert to Christianity and increase church revenue

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 9:38am On Jan 12, 2022
What’s your point...??
No punishment after death??
Do as you like??

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by AllahIsSatan: 9:44am On Jan 12, 2022
You'll find out eventually. Just hope that it won't be too late for you by then.

cornelboy:
There are a lot of reasons to believe that hell (a place of suffering after death) doesn't exist:
° in the old testament (OT) God never warned the children of Israel bout any possibility of suffering after death. He didn't mention hell to any of the patriarchs and prophets rather God gave them physical punishment.

° if hell is really a place of punishment to warn people about, why didn't Paul, Peter and other apostles emphasize on it? Why didn't they mention it in their Epistles or book of Acts?

°Hell fire is one of Roman Catholic dogmas.... probably invented to coerce people to convert to Christianity and increase church revenue

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Divoc19(f): 9:46am On Jan 12, 2022
It doesn't to me

5 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Ihuomanice1(f): 9:58am On Jan 12, 2022
Read Revelation 22 verse 1-end
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Jokerman(m): 10:02am On Jan 12, 2022
Lake of fire exist.

The torment there is what is described as "Hell"

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Jan 12, 2022
cornelboy:

■ Eternal damnation(aka Hell) is of God's New Covenant (Jesus Christ) and not of His Old Covenant (YHWH) undecided

■ The epistles where written by the apostles as their individual digest of the Gospel and not as a replacement to the Gospel, God's Truth, which Jesus Christ delivered to you. undecided

■ Jesus Christ Himself warned you severally of eternal damnation (Hell) being the final end of those who in the Kingdom of God who refuse to obey Him. undecided
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
cornelboy:

It was after Satan began ruling the earth that he misinterpret God's word to soothe his own assertion:

God said to Adam "If you rebel against my orders, you will certainly die" Genesis 2:17

Satan said to Eve "if you go against God's orders, you will (NOT) certainly die" Genesis 3:4

So even when God sent his servants to tell us that souls will die {Ezekiel 18:4} Satan's agents will tell you that the soul will survive death.

All Jesus' parables they're giving literal meaning just to support their misinformed thoughts that death is not the end of a sinner! Romans 6:7, 23 undecided

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Ola17: 5:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
Hell, heaven and other such concepts are nothing but figments of imagination.

10 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
cornelboy:

If you look carefully, also you would see that it is only in what you wrongly call old testament that He said "He would heal the land".

It is not for nought we sing He is the Unchangeable Change

cornelboy:

They did!
2 Peter 3:7. Jude verse 3. Hebrews10:28-29.
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
Jokerman:
Lake of fire exist.

No! Hell is also thrown into the lake of Fire.

Lake of fire is the worser than hell.
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 7:41pm On Jan 12, 2022
advanceDNA:
What’s your point...??
Do as you like??

So you think the only reason to behave well is because of belief in hell?

10 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 7:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
Jokerman:
Lake of fire exist.

Based on what evidence?

6 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 12:05am On Jan 13, 2022
LordReed:

So you think the only reason to behave well is because of belief in hell?

Dialogue with you heads no where..there’s no point starting it jare...
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 12:39am On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

Dialogue with you heads no where..there’s no point starting it jare...

I wonder why. LoL
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 9:18am On Jan 13, 2022
LordReed:

I wonder why. LoL

U know why..
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 9:36am On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

U know why..

Because you know I will make points you can't get around?
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2022
LordReed:

Because you know I will make points you can't get around?

Not at all...
there’s always a counter attack available in a dialogue ...

U usually dialogue the creator matter from the angle insulting and making jest of biblical accounts...that’s just a desperate attempt to disrespect someone’s faith..and that’s why I said there’s no point dialoguing with you...
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by killyaselfie: 11:48am On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:
What’s your point...??
Do as you like??

You know, it’s good that the wild animals think there is a cage around them, regardless that the cage is imaginary.

Without the imaginary cage, they might cause untold amount of chaos worse than the ones they already cause.

The imaginary cage for the wild animals is one of the principles undergirding religion.

2 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2022
killyaselfie:

You know, it’s good that the wild animals think there is a cage around them, regardless that the cage is imaginary.

Without the imaginary cage, they might cause untold amount of chaos worse than the ones they already cause.

The imaginary cage for the wild animals is one of the principles undergirding religion.

Since the beginning of time, scaring people with an imaginary or unseen punishment has never stopped people from doing wrong...

people have always done evil.....so ur assumption is a bit on the side of fallacy..
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by Horus(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2022
They don’t know where hell is, or if such a place really exists. They can’t even decide what hell is. Which one is it? Is it a place where you will be given oozing pus to drink like the K'oran describes (K'oran 14:16), or a place where you will be roasted (K'oran 17:18), or a prison (K'oran 17. Also, how did the pit get there? How did a big place of fire get beneath us? Did God create it down there? Why is it that scientists haven’t discovered it yet being they have dug holes straight down to the center of the Earth? Why is it that you can’t find hell if it really is a place that exists? Scientists have listened to the ground, they have all kinds of advanced technical equipment with computers.
Have they heard crackling fires? No!!! Why? Because hell is a state of mind. It is what you make it. It exists within you, for each one will pattern his or her hell according to what he believes hell is. They don’t hear anybody down there screaming and hollering or any torturing. So what makes you believe that there is some place “down there” that you will go if you are a sinner where there is fire and demons? The K'oran ? Let’s be for real! There is nothing in the K'oran that has been proven to be facts yet. You can’t even prove that the characters in your K'oran really exists, let alone a place called hell! The hell that your Preachers, Teachers, Rabbis, Imaams, and Sheiks preach to you about is another trick to keep you trapped under religion

3 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by killyaselfie: 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

Since the beginning of time, scaring people with an imaginary or unseen punishment has never stopped people from doing wrong...

people have always done evil.....so ur assumption is a bit on the side of fallacy..

But it controls their behavior and keeps them subservient, and sometimes it does stop them from doing wrong. Your post that I quoted is proof.
The history of Catholicism and Christianity as a whole is a master class in scaring people with the imaginary.

You Protestants partly exist because certain German elites were fed up with the Roman Catholics terrorizing and extorting their peasants with the imaginary purgatory. The so called “Protestant reformation”.

Sometimes, the imaginary lord validates their evil behavior.

Hell, you are a Christian because the imaginary lord gave some European elites permission to pillage to their hearts’ content.

2 Likes

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 1:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
killyaselfie:

But it controls their behavior and keeps them subservient, and sometimes it does stop them from doing wrong. Your post that I quoted is proof.
The history of Catholicism and Christianity as a whole is a master class in scaring people with the imaginary.

You Protestants partly exist because certain German elites were fed up with the Roman Catholics terrorizing and extorting their peasants with the imaginary purgatory. The so called “Protestant reformation”.

Sometimes, the imaginary lord validates their evil behavior.

Hell, you are a Christian because the imaginary lord gave some European elites permission to pillage to their hearts’ content.

Here you go again...There’s is already evidence that imaginary punishment don’t stop people from doing wrong or evil since the beginning of time...

So I don’t get why you are still saying this...
Unless you can do a survey of say...200,000 Christians ..(that’s a good sample size), to answer you that they are Christians or stay away from sin becos they don’t want to go to hell...then your assumption would be largely correct..
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by killyaselfie: 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

Here you go again...There’s is already evidence that imaginary punishment don’t stop people from doing wrong or evil since the beginning of time...

So I don’t get why you are still saying this...
Unless you can do a survey of say...200,000 Christians ..(that’s a good sample size), to answer you that they are Christians or stay away from sin becos they don’t want to go to hell...then your assumption would be largely correct..

I don’t need to do a survey. History and contemporary observations are enough to show imaginary punishment deters some people from wrong doing and causes people to obey sacred authority. Even your “sin” is imaginary.

advanceDNA:
What’s your point...??
Do as you like??

You are an example.
You post indicates that “punishment after death” guides your behavior. Your post shows that you would likely “do as you like”, including act immorally without the imaginary hell.

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 1:37pm On Jan 13, 2022
killyaselfie:

I don’t need to do a survey. History and contemporary observations are enough to show imaginary punishment deters some people from wrong doing and causes people to obey sacred authority. Even your “sin” is imaginary.

You are an example.
You post indicates that “punishment after death” guides your behavior. Your post shows that you would likely “do as you like”, including act immorally without the imaginary hell.

My first comment was a sarcasm...not a proof of anything..I guess you ddnt see that..

Again...I don’t know which history you are looking at...but if it’s the same one...evil has always been in the land even now on the increase when more people are no longer Christians but embracing the idea that there is no God
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

Not at all...
there’s always a counter attack available in a dialogue ...

U usually dialogue the creator matter from the angle insulting and making jest of biblical accounts...that’s just a desperate attempt to disrespect someone’s faith..and that’s why I said there’s no point dialoguing with you...

I didn't mention creator in this dialogue. The question was can you be good without believing in hell. Many people believe in your god but not hell so are you of the opinion that such people cannot be good?
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 1:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
LordReed:

I didn't mention creator in this dialogue. The question was can you be good without believing in hell. Many people believe in your god but not hell so are you of the opinion that such people cannot be good?

Of course people can be good(depending on what it is and by what standard or yardstick you decide to measure it) without the concept of hell or even an idea that God exists

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by killyaselfie: 1:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

My first comment was a sarcasm...not a proof of anything..I guess you ddnt see that..

Okay.

advanceDNA:

Again...I don’t know which history you are looking at...but if it’s the same one.

Historical examples of the imaginary being used as bugbears are purgatory, the doctrine of hell that you gave a “sarcastic” answer to, the concept of sin, and sacred scriptures used as threats. The idea that there is a god is a bugbear brace god is the ultimate imaginary being.

Moses buttressed his laws with Yahweh.
Lycurgus buttressed his laws with Zeus
Orunmila buttressed his laws with Eledumare
It’s a tale as old as time.

Your god Jesus Christ says in Matthew 25:41, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into EVERLASTING FIRE, prepared for the devil and his angels." In Matthew 13:42, Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." HELL IS FOREVER! All who enter hell — abandon all hope!

advanceDNA:

..evil has always been in the land even now on the increase when more people are no longer Christians but embracing the idea that there is no God

Christianity has never reduced the amount of evil in the land. History of Christianity is a history of bloodshed and subjugation. Dum Diversas and European avarice are the reasons you’re a Christian.

People have been saying there is no god ever since the first person said there is a god.

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

Of course people can be good(depending on what it is and by what standard or yardstick you decide to measure it) without the concept of hell or even an idea that God exists

Exactly, which is why I challenged your statements that:

advanceDNA:
What’s your point...??
Do as you like??

If you agree someone a person can be good without believing in hell then why make such a statement?
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by killyaselfie: 2:15pm On Jan 13, 2022
If the Roman state had adopted the Mithraic Mysteries instead of the Gospels, all you Christians would be affirming Mithras as the only son of god instead of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by advanceDNA: 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
LordReed:

Exactly, which is why I challenged your statements that:

If you agree someone a person can be good without believing in hell then why make such a statement?

It was a sarcastic statement....
Re: Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? by LordReed(m): 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2022
advanceDNA:

It was a sarcastic statement....

Ah, OK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lovely Testimonies...come And Experience Fruitfulness / Serious Questions For Billyonaire And Ifenes About Matters Of The "Supernatural" / COVID Vaccine Will Work With Nano-chips, 5G To Control You – Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.