Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,745 members, 7,802,277 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

Does Hell Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Hell Exist? (2946 Views)

Chat GPT Answer The Hell Question: Does Hell Exist? / Does "Hell" Really Exist Or It Was Invented By Religion? / Does Hell Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 3:45pm On Nov 10, 2021

The Lord brings death and makes alive (מחיה; mehayeh); He brings down to Sheol (שׁאול) and raises up” (1 Sam 2:6)

Jesus does not shy away from the topic of hell. For instance, he tells his disciples, “It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell (γέεννα; géhenna), ‘where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:47-48). Indeed, explicit warnings about “hell” appear throughout the Gospels (Matt 5:22-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15, 33; Mk 9:43-47; Lk 12:5). In light of this biblical truth, the following statement will seem counterintuitive—or even heretical—but it’s equally true: Hell does not exist.

The Jewish notion of punishment after death originates from an actual geographical location. The Valley of the Son of Hinnom is listed among Canaan’s locales in Joshua (cf. 15:8; 18:16), and it became a place of child sacrifice and foreign worship. The ancient Israelites “built the high places of Baal in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom (גאי בן הנם; gei ben hinnom), to offer up their sons and daughters to Molech” (Jer 32:35; cf. 7:31-32; 19:6; 2 Kgs 23:10; 2 Chron 28:3; 33:6). This valley served as the earthly template for a post-mortem pit that ancient Jews called “Gehinnom” (גיהנום)—“Gehenna” in Greek and “Gehinnam” in Aramaic—the “Valley of Hinnom.” While Israel’s Valley of Hinnom certainly exists, its otherworldly counterpart is still awaiting existence.

According to Scripture, hell will be created after the resurrection of the dead; at present, hell does not exist. When Jesus describes hell as a place “where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched” (Mk 9:48), he quotes from Isaiah’s eschatological vision of the righteous living in God’s kingdom and the rebellious dying in fire. Through the prophet, God describes a grand future creation: “The new heavens and the new earth that I make shall remain before me…. All flesh shall come to worship before me… and they shall go out and look at the corpses of the people who have rebelled against me. For their worm will not die, nor their fire be quenched, and they shall remain an abhorrence (דראון; deraon) to all flesh” (Isa 66:22-24). This “abhorrence” for the wicked is a post-resurrection reality. As Daniel 12:2 notes, “Multitudes of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake [in resurrection], some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting abhorrence (דראון; deraon).” The Bible describes everyone being raised from their graves and then receiving either eternal life or ongoing abhorrence. Hell is not a destination for the wicked after death, but after the resurrection (for the destination after death, called Sheol or Hades).

The ancient Aramaic translation of Isaiah—or “Targum” (תרגום)—replaces “abhorrence” (דראון; deraon) in the original Hebrew with an explicit reference to hell. In Aramaic, Isaiah 66:24 reads, “their breaths shall not die, and their fire shall not be extinguished, and the wicked shall be judged in hell (גיהנם; gehinnam).” The Targum parallels Jesus’ quotation of this same verse in Mk 9:47-48 alongside his own reference to “hell” (γέεννα; géhenna). For both Yeshua and the Jews who wrote the Targum, “hell” will be a place that exists in the “new heavens and new earth” that Isaiah prophesied. The wicked do not arrive in hell immediately after death; instead, they go there following their bodily resurrection. This post-resurrection scenario is what the Targum and Revelation call the “second death” (cf. IsaTg 65:6; Rev 20:14; 21:cool—that is, a death that comes after resurrection. Scripture clarifies that a fiery place of judgment is reserved for the World to Come, rather than the present world. “We are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which the righteous will dwell” (2 Peter 3:13), and “hell” is a pending part of that future creation. In other words, hell does not (yet) exist.

Nicholas J.S
Re: Does Hell Exist? by uchennamani(m): 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
Acehart:

The Lord brings death and makes alive (מחיה; mehayeh); He brings down to Sheol (שׁאול) and raises up” (1 Sam 2:6)

Jesus does not shy away from the topic of hell. For instance, he tells his disciples, “It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell (γέεννα; géhenna), ‘where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:47-48). Indeed, explicit warnings about “hell” appear throughout the Gospels (Matt 5:22-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15, 33; Mk 9:43-47; Lk 12:5). In light of this biblical truth, the following statement will seem counterintuitive—or even heretical—but it’s equally true: Hell does not exist.

The Jewish notion of punishment after death originates from an actual geographical location. The Valley of the Son of Hinnom is listed among Canaan’s locales in Joshua (cf. 15:8; 18:16), and it became a place of child sacrifice and foreign worship. The ancient Israelites “built the high places of Baal in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom (גאי בן הנם; gei ben hinnom), to offer up their sons and daughters to Molech” (Jer 32:35; cf. 7:31-32; 19:6; 2 Kgs 23:10; 2 Chron 28:3; 33:6). This valley served as the earthly template for a post-mortem pit that ancient Jews called “Gehinnom” (גיהנום)—“Gehenna” in Greek and “Gehinnam” in Aramaic—the “Valley of Hinnom.” While Israel’s Valley of Hinnom certainly exists, its otherworldly counterpart is still awaiting existence.

According to Scripture, hell will be created after the resurrection of the dead; at present, hell does not exist. When Jesus describes hell as a place “where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched” (Mk 9:48), he quotes from Isaiah’s eschatological vision of the righteous living in God’s kingdom and the rebellious dying in fire. Through the prophet, God describes a grand future creation: “The new heavens and the new earth that I make shall remain before me…. All flesh shall come to worship before me… and they shall go out and look at the corpses of the people who have rebelled against me. For their worm will not die, nor their fire be quenched, and they shall remain an abhorrence (דראון; deraon) to all flesh” (Isa 66:22-24). This “abhorrence” for the wicked is a post-resurrection reality. As Daniel 12:2 notes, “Multitudes of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake [in resurrection], some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting abhorrence (דראון; deraon).” The Bible describes everyone being raised from their graves and then receiving either eternal life or ongoing abhorrence. Hell is not a destination for the wicked after death, but after the resurrection (for the destination after death, called Sheol or Hades).

The ancient Aramaic translation of Isaiah—or “Targum” (תרגום)—replaces “abhorrence” (דראון; deraon) in the original Hebrew with an explicit reference to hell. In Aramaic, Isaiah 66:24 reads, “their breaths shall not die, and their fire shall not be extinguished, and the wicked shall be judged in hell (גיהנם; gehinnam).” The Targum parallels Jesus’ quotation of this same verse in Mk 9:47-48 alongside his own reference to “hell” (γέεννα; géhenna). For both Yeshua and the Jews who wrote the Targum, “hell” will be a place that exists in the “new heavens and new earth” that Isaiah prophesied. The wicked do not arrive in hell immediately after death; instead, they go there following their bodily resurrection. This post-resurrection scenario is what the Targum and Revelation call the “second death” (cf. IsaTg 65:6; Rev 20:14; 21:cool—that is, a death that comes after resurrection. Scripture clarifies that a fiery place of judgment is reserved for the World to Come, rather than the present world. “We are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which the righteous will dwell” (2 Peter 3:13), and “hell” is a pending part of that future creation. In other words, hell does not (yet) exist.

Nicholas J.S

It doesn't. Please know this and be free.

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 4:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
uchennamani:

Did you read what wasn’t written?
Re: Does Hell Exist? by LordReed(m): 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2021
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 4:59pm On Nov 10, 2021
LordReed:
For your enlightenment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sR3z_rvQ4

Tell me about your enlightenment experience from this video
Re: Does Hell Exist? by 22jumpstreet: 6:12pm On Nov 10, 2021
Why would God send his spirit to hell ?

I am still yet to figure why Christians believe in hell and heaven ?

Psalm 104:29-31 "send forth your spirit and they are created and replenish the earth, take it and they die and return back to dust ..."
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:21pm On Nov 10, 2021
22jumpstreet:

Psalm 104:29-31 "send forth your spirit and they are created and replenish the earth, take it and they die and return back to dust ..."

I know you are insane but I'll just answer, CREATORS CAN ALWAYS TAKE WHAT THEY HAVE GIVEN THEIR CREATIONS AND DISPOSE THE REST.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:22pm On Nov 10, 2021
uchennamani:

The top 10 wish of all creations is that there is no place of destruction. grin

In fact, top 2! 10 is too much. grin

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by psychalade: 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2021
If the letter J wasn't invented until 1600, how did Jesus and other Bible characters that their name starts with letter J get their names 2021 years ago?
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:29pm On Nov 10, 2021
psychalade:
If the letter J wasn't invented until 1600, how did Jesus and other Bible characters that their name starts with letter J get their names 2021 years ago?

Surely, you know what translation means?

Even today books are being translated into other languages.

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by IMAliyu(m): 7:14pm On Nov 10, 2021
psychalade:
Languages drift.

There was no distinction between the letters J & Y at the time.

The letter Y from Hebrew when Romanized, turns to J.

So a Name like Joseph and Yoseph/Yusuf are all derived from the same root letters and mean the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2021
22jumpstreet:

Spirit there means breathe

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by 22jumpstreet: 10:40pm On Nov 10, 2021
Acehart:

Spirit there means breathe

Exactly my bro...

How their mind they skip baffles me..
Re: Does Hell Exist? by LordReed(m): 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2021
Acehart:

Tell me about your enlightenment experience from this video

Have you watched the video?
Re: Does Hell Exist? by 22jumpstreet: 10:47pm On Nov 10, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

I know you are insane but I'll just answer, CREATORS CAN ALWAYS TAKE WHAT THEY HAVE GIVEN THEIR CREATIONS AND DISPOSE THE REST.

I thought you checked yourself into an asylum...

Which hole did you crawl out from.

So God gVe his spirit to begin with, he takes it and all is left is the body that used to house the spirt and we bury it for it to turn to dust....so what are you saying.

Is he disposing off his spirit or the body?

Please endeavor to always take your medications..

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:14am On Nov 11, 2021
22jumpstreet:

So God gVe his spirit to begin with, he takes it and all is left is the body that used to house the spirt and we bury it for it to turn to dust....so what are you saying.

Is he disposing off his spirit or the body?..

Of course Lunatics can not appreciate simple things like "I give my ..." means "A Giving, A Gift, exactly as fathers/Creators give their things to their children/creations.pp

And Givings can always be taken back by The Owner exactly as men take away their givings to their girlfriends/wife etc.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by 22jumpstreet: 9:15am On Nov 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Of course Lunatics can not appreciate simple things like "I give my ..." means "A Giving, A Gift, exactly as fathers/Creators give their things to their children/creations.pp

And Givings can always be taken back by The Owner exactly as men take away their givings to their girlfriends/wife etc.

Have you checked your self into an asylum?

Please do..

So what is going to heaven or hell.
You really are not well at all..
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:40am On Nov 11, 2021
22jumpstreet:

Have you checked your self into an asylum?

Please do.

Nairaland Verified Madman, it is impossible for people like to ever be mad. But you UK junkies, are always mad grin

22jumpstreet:

So what is going to heaven or hell.
You really are not well at all..

See! Proof of madness! Asking a question with full stop instead of question mark grin and confessing insanity at the same time. grin

Exactly what a madman does! grin

You should not have gone to UK, maybe you would have been within sane limits. grin grin

Obviously you have run out of your Anti-Insanity Drugs, so your madness is now in Full Bloom! grin time to go grin grin grin
Re: Does Hell Exist? by bobestman(m): 10:52am On Nov 11, 2021
Christians and their wrong teachings. This Bible you read is a coded book/sealed and the original meaning can only come at endtime from a certain ppl. Those who hijacked the original scriptures from the owners re-wrote it according to their understanding and called it bible.
We humans are the ones who can be tormented with fire cos we have flesh. What they wrote as hell is what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah that destroyed the land with fire. The land was cleansed for a new begining with the few who remained. Many woke and spiritual ppl have seen that same judgement on Sodom and Gomorrah thru visions and dreams on this our world. It will happen again. After it, the land will be cleansed and restored like the garden of Eden and we begin as in Day 1 again. With both the glory of the Father and Son with us on earth. A new heaven and brand new earth. You can't go to heaven but can only connect to it. That is the Shekinah glory the one they wrote as Adam enjoyed in that Era. It's a restoration of that glory. You can't go to any heaven.
Hell is outer darkness. A place of punishment or torment but not with fire. Spirit don't have flesh and can't be hurt by fire. They are fire and air themselves. They can move from one place to another. Those who died and even wicked demons are spirits. They can't be in any fire. They are in a place where they are Locked up so they can't move or trapped till the day of their judgement not Hell. Anyone telling you, they went to hell is lying and only being decieved by apparitions to confirm what they think is the meaning of what they read in the bible. You might have watched some movies were demons are involved and can see that anytime they want to tie them down, they use spells to lock them up somewhere to stop their movement. That's how it happens. You can't kill them or burn them with fire. The Creator reserve them all for a day of judgement. They keep roaming about decieving ppl before they will be judged and cast into outer darkness.
Hell is not a place of torment by fire and nobody is there!
Those who plagiarised the Hebrew scriptures into Bible committed a lot of errors and blunders. Wait till the day of the unsealings and the truth will shock the hell out of you

Re: Does Hell Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:58am On Nov 11, 2021
bobestman:

We humans are the ones who can be tormented with fire cos we have flesh.

Man and his always thinking his Creator is like him.

If you do not make the kingdom of God, surely you will see first hand the Fire which kills spirits, which God has prepared for spirits.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by 22jumpstreet: 1:02pm On Nov 11, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Nairaland Verified Madman, it is impossible for people like to ever be mad. But you UK junkies, are always mad grin

See! Proof of madness! Asking a question with full stop instead of question mark grin and confessing insanity at the same time. grin

Exactly what a madman does! grin

You should not have gone to UK, maybe you would have been within sane limits. grin grin

Obviously you have run out of your Anti-Insanity Drugs, so your madness is now in Full Bloom! grin time to go grin grin grin

You no well, every body for this forum know....

I go pay for your treatment...
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 6:05pm On Nov 11, 2021
LordReed:

Have you watched the video?

I don't think you watched the interview neither did you read what is up there. If you did, you would know that he wasn't talking about the existence of Hell but something else- which you have to find out.

It would have been interesting to see you critique those texts in the OP. I know Bart would but LordReed...

Why would Hell exist? There is something called the Moral Law or the Law of God. You and I have broken it more than a few times. We have dishonored our parents, fornicated, coveted, lied, and much more. For each, we would pay the penalty- death. God seeing that there is no way for us to stop sinning or even pay the penalty, gave Jesus Christ to take our place as though He sinned (as you and I), and in turn paid the penalty we ought to pay now. On the Cross, when He yelled, "It is finished!", it meant He has paid the penalty for us. God then declared us innocent based on the perfect engagement of Christ for us. On this basis, if you believe in what Jesus Christ did for you LordReed, Hell would not have a place for you, and you would never even know Hell was or is or will exist because as the Lord Jesus is, so you will be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Hell Exist? by LordReed(m): 8:07pm On Nov 11, 2021
Acehart:

I don't think you watched the interview neither did you read what is up there. If you did, you would know that he wasn't talking about the existence of Hell but something else- which you have to find out.

It would have been interesting to see you critique those texts in the OP. I know Bart would but LordReed...

Why would Hell exist? There is something called the Moral Law or the Law of God. You and I have broken it more than a few times. We have dishonored our parents, fornicated, coveted, lied, and much more. For each, we would pay the penalty- death. God saw that there is no way for us to stop sinning or even pay the penalty, gave Jesus Christ to take our place as though He sinned (as you and I), and in turn paid the penalty we ought to pay now. On the Cross, when He yelled, "It is finished", it meant He has paid the penalty for us. God then declared us innocent based on the perfect engagement of Christ for us. On this basis, if you believe in what Jesus Christ did for you LordReed, Hell would not have a place for you, and you would never even know Hell was or is or will exist because as the Lord Jesus is, so you will be.

Listen to it from the 45sec mark, Bart Erhman speaks about the hell question.

I am not interested in believing in hell but if you can produce evidence for it I'd be interested.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2021
LordReed:

Listen to it from the 45sec mark, Bart Erhman speaks about the hell question.

I am not interested in believing in hell but if you can produce evidence for it I'd be interested.

The next time you have the most terrible nightmare you have ever had, create a thread about it then I’ll ball with you.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by LordReed(m): 8:18pm On Nov 11, 2021
Acehart:

The next time you have the most terrible nightmare you have ever had, create a thread about it then I’ll ball with you.

I don't have nightmares. I learned to distinguish dream from real life so I can never be terrified in a dream again.

So did you watch the video?
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Mleeperbother: 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2021
Of course hell doesn't exist.
Na only wicked person dey believe this kind things.
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Bodydiialect57: 9:19pm On Nov 11, 2021
Acehart:

Why would Hell exist? There is something called the Moral Law or the Law of God. You and I have broken it more than a few times. We have dishonored our parents, fornicated, coveted, lied, and much more. For each, we would pay the penalty- death. God saw that there is no way for us to stop sinning or even pay the penalty, gave Jesus Christ to take our place as though He sinned (as you and I), and in turn paid the penalty we ought to pay now. On the Cross, when He yelled, "It is finished", it meant He has paid the penalty for us. God then declared us innocent based on the perfect engagement of Christ for us. On this basis, if you believe in what Jesus Christ did for you LordReed, Hell would not have a place for you, and you would never even know Hell was or is or will exist because as the Lord Jesus is, so you will be.

Well said....
Re: Does Hell Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2021
Mleeperbother:
Of course hell doesn't exist.
Na only wicked person dey believe this kind things.
I give kudos to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!
They've been saying this for more than 120 years now, there is no such place as HellFire Grave is the end of the dead. smiley
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Kobojunkie: 11:36pm On Nov 11, 2021
Acehart:
....According to Scripture, hell will be created after the resurrection of the dead; at present, hell does not exist. When Jesus describes hell as a place “where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched” (Mk 9:48), he quotes from Isaiah’s eschatological vision of the righteous living in God’s kingdom and the rebellious dying in fire. Through the prophet, God describes a grand future creation: “The new heavens and the new earth that I make shall remain before me…. All flesh shall come to worship before me… and they shall go out and look at the corpses of the people who have rebelled against me. For their worm will not die, nor their fire be quenched, and they shall remain an abhorrence (דראון; deraon) to all flesh” (Isa 66:22-24). This “[i]
Jesus Christ, didn't say Hell would be created after the resurrection, and this 2000 years ago. undecided
41Then the king will say to the evil people on his left, ‘Get away from me. God has already decided that you will be punished. Go into the fire that burns forever—the fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels.
42 You must go away because when I was hungry, you gave me nothing to eat. When I was thirsty, you gave me nothing to drink.
43 When I had no place to stay, you did not welcome me into your home. When I was without clothes, you gave me nothing to wear. When I was sick and in prison, you did not care for me.’

44 “Then those people will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty? When did we see you without a place to stay? Or when did we see you without clothes or sick or in prison? When did we see any of this and not help you?’

45 “The king will answer, ‘The truth is, anything you refused to do for any of my people here, you refused to do for me.’

46Then these evil people will go away to be punished forever. But the godly people will go and enjoy eternal life.” - Matthew 25 vs 41 - 46
Rather, Heaven and Hell will be opened for the admissions of souls only after His return(judgement included) undecided
Re: Does Hell Exist? by Acehart: 5:42am On Nov 12, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ, didn't say Hell would be created after the resurrection, and this 2000 years ago. undecided
Rather, Heaven and Hell will be opened for the admissions of souls only after His return(judgement included) undecided

Okay, sir
Re: Does Hell Exist? by TenQ: 5:56am On Nov 12, 2021
Acehart:

Nicholas J.S

You wrote so much but without comprehension

1. There is a difference between Hell and Lake of Fire
2. Hell could mean different things depending on the context
i. Hell = Physical Grave
ii. Hell = A place of holding for dead souls (Sheol)
iii. Hell = A place of holding and punishment of wicked dead souls (Hell. Hades)
iv. Hell = Physical Refuse Dump in Israel (Valley of Hinnom, Gehenna)

3. Whereas there are people in Hell, there is not one single person in the Lake of Fire yet

Which of these four hells don't exist?
or You mean that none of these four hells exist!

1 Like

Re: Does Hell Exist? by Kobojunkie: 6:13am On Nov 12, 2021
TenQ:

You wrote so much but without comprehension

1. There is a difference between Hell and Lake of Fire
2. Hell could mean different things depending on the context
i. Hell = Physical Grave
ii. Hell = A place of holding for dead souls (Sheol)
iii. Hell = A place of holding and punishment of wicked dead souls (Hell. Hades)
iv. Hell = Physical Refuse Dump in Israel (Valley of Hinnom, Gehenna)

3. Whereas there are people in Hell, there is not one single person in the Lake of Fire yet

Which of these four hells don't exist?
or You mean that none of these four hells exist!
Jesus Christ taught His followers of
■ the grave where all who have eternal life in Him will sleep awaiting His return and judgement - John 5 vs 19 - 29
■ Heaven where after His return all those raised from the dead and judged righteous will proceed - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 40
■ Hell, a place of eternal damnation where after His return, all those raised and judged evil will be locked away in - Matthew 25 vs 41 -46

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Been A Gay Is Natural / Who Created The Creator / VERY Strong Bible Scholars, Will Their Be The Ability To Sin In Heaven ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.