Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? (47251 Views)

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s / Music Of Yoruba Origin Should Be Studied As A Course In Nigeria-Reno Omokri / Does Music Taste Define Your Relationship Or Societal Status? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by helinues: 7:21am On Jan 13, 2022
SonofLothbrok:
A music that fellow Africans don't like is not music.

Nigerian music is full of noise. The only reason Nigeria music are in the top chart of Mtv Africa is because Nigerians knows how to bribe their way to the very top.

So the Nigerian musicians are also bribing DJ's in the club in other African countries that makes Nigeria music to top their best and regular mix.

Those are the Nigerian artists that top Radio stations in Africa last year;

Burna, Wizkid, Rema, Adekunle Gold, Mayorkun, Niniola, Simi

If you have any reservations about the top chart, kindly present your own

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Tranquillity360: 7:24am On Jan 13, 2022
Igbochief001:
I have always said the difference between Yoruba and Igbo is simple ...yorubas are largely passion driven while we Igbos are money driven

That's why yorubas Excell in arts even coding is Passion driven reason u see them succeed more
Money or no money Yoruba would still do it

Reason u see Igbos in the money making aspects of music industry ... marketing, promotion n distribution

If davido was Igbo he would have stopped music long ago ...Neto c comes to mind ...rich kid now managing family business empire

If wiskid was Igbo Baba for done invest tire ..music money would seem like a waste of time
You are a bit wrong.

We yorubas are more money driven.

Have you ever asked why there's skull mining and more ritual killing in our region.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by NGpatriot: 7:25am On Jan 13, 2022
Igbochief001:
I have always said the difference between Yoruba and Igbo is simple ...yorubas are largely passion driven while we Igbos are money driven

That's why yorubas Excell in arts even coding is Passion driven reason u see them succeed more

Reason u see Igbos in the money making aspects of music industry ... marketing, promotion n distribution

If davido was Igbo he would have stopped music long ago ...Neto c comes to mind ...rich kid now managing family business empire

If wiskid was Igbo Baba for done invest tire ..music money would seem like a waste of time

Music is also money driven, Yoruba people are also money driven. Abi Igbo people are richer than Yoruba people.

It's all about social cultural temperament and attitude, saying they are money drive doesn't mean they love money or make more money than other people, it's all about how you carry yourself and or how you beat your chest.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Tumbulum: 7:26am On Jan 13, 2022
These IGR people again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Starboytwo(m): 7:29am On Jan 13, 2022
Yoruba people head be swelling now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by helinues: 7:35am On Jan 13, 2022
Starboytwo:
Yoruba people head be swelling now.

Starboy two.

Even your admiring artist na Yoruba..

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by richiemcgold: 7:35am On Jan 13, 2022
apart from other facts raised by reno here, I think religion also played a big role in the early development of Yoruba music artists. Fuji for instance was an offshoot of 'jiwere' which was common in Muslim dominated areas like ilorin & ibadan.
we can also trace the roots of juju music and highlife to white garment churches especially cherubim and seraphim.

NobleRace:

Your assertion is not acceptable. These regions are existent in other tribes as well. What makes Yoruba different?

let me school you a little sir: The first generation of Fuji music stars were sikiru ayinde barrister, easy sawaba, kollington ayinla, ayinde wasiu etc. all of them started at young age as 'ajiwere'. you need to understand what 'jiwere' means in Yoruba and its connection with Ramadan in Islam.
Now lets talk about juju/highlife: Do you know what ik dairo, adawa super, dele taiwo, dayo kujore, shina peters and many other pioneers of juju/highlife music have in common? They belonged to C&S Church.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by orisa37: 7:41am On Jan 13, 2022
ODU-DU-IWA IS SINGING!!!
Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by NGpatriot: 7:43am On Jan 13, 2022
https://twitter.com/YoungIamde/status/1481275742457581575

In Milano, Italy, they actually named a street after Wizkid with his music blasting all over the place.

Now, that's Global.

Check out the video.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by NGpatriot: 7:47am On Jan 13, 2022
Igbo music outside igbo people and igboland is not sweet to the ears, the agent is jarring, too strong and not sensual..

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Starboytwo(m): 7:52am On Jan 13, 2022
helinues:

Starboy two.

Even your admiring artist na Yoruba..

meself be Yoruba lol. I won’t be comfortable as something else.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Eastlink(m): 7:54am On Jan 13, 2022
Reno the magician. King Reno is pressing Afonja mumu button after decamping from IPOB. 2023 on the beat grin

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Masterclass32: 7:56am On Jan 13, 2022
See them concurring with alacrity. Suddenly Reno is spitting facts, no longer pressing "mumu botton".

These our SW neighbours sef.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by johntolu: 8:04am On Jan 13, 2022
NGpatriot:
Igbo music outside igbo people and igboland is not sweet to the ears, the agent is jarring, too strong and not sensual.

I am sure you have not listen to any of Osita Osabebe's musical collections.
You may want to start with the 'Osondi Owendi' album, below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZozFgBoVw

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by christistruth01: 8:04am On Jan 13, 2022
helinues:

That no be lie

grin

Not a fan of Reno Omokri

With all Humility

The Yoruba Language itself is very musical and melodious

I believe that the Praise Singers of the Oba's and the Singing Town Criers must have played a big part in making it so

For example Ewi speaks and tells stories in a melodious manner that is sweet to the ears

Ewi is a Yoruba form of Poetry that has somehow latched onto the Yorubas everyday way of speaking

There are many Yoruba dialects for example Ijesha,Ekiti Ibadan if you listen carefully it is almost at as if they sing their Speeches

That was why someone like Premier Ladoke Akintola was able to wax a Record out of his Political Speech

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Maxxim: 8:06am On Jan 13, 2022
This is true
Was going through some tiktok videos recently, was surprised most international trending songs used in making their videos are yoruba songs, and they were vibing to it even when they have lil or no understanding of the words.
That's great.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by helinues: 8:12am On Jan 13, 2022
christistruth01:

Not a fan of Reno Omokri

With all Humility

The Yoruba Language itself is very musical and many phrases are constructed melodiously

Tbh, I must give credit to Niniola on that.. Sometimes I wonder where she got her inspiration from.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Soylife(m): 8:15am On Jan 13, 2022
Yoruba music dey sweet die. Anytime I hear any song wey Dem speak Yoruba I go just dey vibe to am. If you see me when I dey sing Yoruba songs you go think say I be Yoruba boy,I no even understand wetin I dey sing sef. Every morning is zino,mohbad,jamo pyper I vibe to

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Zico5(m): 8:16am On Jan 13, 2022
Lagbaja. U forgot to mention him

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 13, 2022
Nnamdi cownu ipig brothers rushing to this thread in.... 5...4....3...2...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by IPIGSRHYPO: 8:19am On Jan 13, 2022
Romanoff:
Wait for the haters, then still dey sleep.

grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ukaface(f): 8:19am On Jan 13, 2022
ayindejimmy:
This is so right.
Right from Fela Yoruba musicians have been paving the way and pioneering new genre of music from Africa to the world.

I just hope haters will read this with an unbiased mind
Lol.....I could read bias in your comment though

4 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:20am On Jan 13, 2022
This guy can WRITE undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by GeneralPula: 8:20am On Jan 13, 2022
[s]
otipoju:
No big deal. Its because cosmopolitan Lagos is the epicenter of the entertainment industry and commercial capital of Nigeria. Lagos is in Yorubaland and dominated by Yorubas .

Nevertheless since all Nigerian tribes live there and they have relatives in other parts of nigeria and abroad...anything that breaks through in Lagos, a yoruba city will become popular in the Nigerian hemisphere.

That is why lagos is called " Eko for Show"
[/s]

Lagos is not the reason why yoruba music is breaking thru..

Lagos is not the only place Yoruba musicians are recording music..

Yoruba language is melodious, easy and yummy to the ears..

Yoruba sings good music..

So it’s a good music X good and melodious language..

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Sammy07: 8:20am On Jan 13, 2022
Igbochief001:

Sentiments aside.

Little truth dey here

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 13, 2022
E loud o. Hausas and igbos dance to the tunes you can't change that.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 13, 2022
NGpatriot:
https://twitter.com/YoungIamde/status/1481275742457581575

In Milano, Italy, they actually named a street after Wizkid with his music blasting all over the place.

Now, that's Global.

Check out the video.
For real?? That boy dey use juju o

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Wiifesnatcher(m): 8:21am On Jan 13, 2022
ezenwajosh:
Every tribe is good at something

Personally I don't like Yoruba musical instruments but I like the language

I don't like nollywood even though its mostly Igbo's and Igbo scripts

I don't like Yoruba movies @all but I LOVE BOB HEART ABISHOLA and I promised if that movie setting was in Nigeria all through I won't go near it

MUSIC IS UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE JUST AS FOOTBALL IS for those who love football

is not about what you like because your likeness might be in the minority, Reno is talking about national and international acceptability of Nigeria music which Yoruba singers dominated

I was surprise to see igbo in my area dancing and singing Zazoo zeh that a Yoruba like me don't even find interesting, so is not about what you like, who know you? is about what the majority accept

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by yomi531(m): 8:21am On Jan 13, 2022
Proudly afonja grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 13, 2022
Ttalk:

Read to comprehend, the author mentioned Angela Kodjo a Francophone artist that broke into limelight with her popular Yoruba song, Wombolobo. This has nothing to do with Lagos being entertainment city.

The fact remains that Yoruba dialect have a way of attracting attention and captivating the audience.

You can pick a thing from that message and use it to your advantage instead of doing strong head
tell am o. I'm Hausa but r de try learn this yoruba like say tomorrow no de lol

Modified: Watimagbo grin

36 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Wizkid Congratulates Burna Boy For Wining Best Africa Act Award At 2019 MTV EMA / Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2016 / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.