Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? (47288 Views)

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s / Music Of Yoruba Origin Should Be Studied As A Course In Nigeria-Reno Omokri / Does Music Taste Define Your Relationship Or Societal Status? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by agadez007(m): 9:38am On Jan 13, 2022
Some people are already throwing jabs at ndigbos because the man they love to hate praised them,Yoruba language is vulgar and is good in secular while Igbo music got that heavenly flow,Even some great Igbo gospel are actually by non Igbo,ekwueme by An igala man and ebezina by an ijaw man,sinach is also doing great numbers too on YouTube
And by the way,nollywood is Igbo dominated and many non African blacks(Jamaiaca,Haiti etc) watch them a lot

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Lavisha(f): 9:39am On Jan 13, 2022
maestroferddi:
Lagos is the epicenter of Nigeria.

The indigenous language spoken in Lagos will have deep impact in the entertainment industry.

Igbo is not difficult to learn. Just buy an Igbo grammar book. You can gain proficiency in less than two years.

I am learning Yoruba and hope to be fluent before the end of the year.
If you really wanna be fluent in Yoruba Language, Never ever leave Amala and Ewedu.
That particular food will help tune your tone and before you know it, you'll become a fluent Yoruba speaker.
And if otherwise, I'm sorry for you..
you will never be fluent in it.

You can ask the Igbos and other tribes that are fluent in Yoruba Lang.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by maestroferddi: 9:39am On Jan 13, 2022
Elemosho478:

Keep deceiving yourself

King of Boys became popular without that, the lead actress was a Yoruba and so many other movies like that, check Netflix.

Top grossing Nollywood movies of all time were all dominated by Yoruba producers, where would Nollywood be without Yoruba producers and directors?

Check out the upcoming Nollywood movies that was in a post on front page, it was dominated by Yoruba producers actors and actresses, but believe whatever you like to help your complex.

What is the meaning of this grossing crap of yours?

We are talking of the global impact of Nollywood and you are cherry-picking isolated works driven by internet and social media hype...

Like seriously, how old are you?

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by emerged01(m): 9:39am On Jan 13, 2022
Soylife:

Yeah,those guys dey try,na their songs full my phone. Who is your best artiste?
Zino

4 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ThatFairGuy1: 9:40am On Jan 13, 2022
[s]
ObianujuAku1:

chaiiii see analysis
I love this.

me too even tho I don't understand yoruba language but I find it a kinda interesting and you didn’t lie.
most of igbos that lives in lagos enjoy speaking yoruba language.
no doubt yoruba language is more popular than igbo language no arguments.
for example, go to any Yoruba dominated area, be it company, school or any environment.
you'll hardly understand what they're speaking from good morning (eka ro I think) to the least pronunciations. but it's not like that for my igbo speaking brothers, they'll be forming posh by blowing either grammar or pidgin.
you hardly see a yoruba greet a fellow yoruba in English like "good morning" all you'll hear is Eka ro and so on.
but you can't say such for an igbo man.
an igbo man will find it awkward if you greet him with ụtụtụ ọma (good morning) it'll sound somehow to him because he's not used to it.
so as for language, I'll give it to yorubas.
But still on still I love my language and I don't hesitate to speak it whenever the opportunity rises.

coming from music, it's a pure lies Igbo music are being vibed world wide.
I know Yorubas that vibes to osadebe highlife, Oliver d coque, etc.
while I have all fela tracks on my phone and Ebenezer Obey I find igbo music more sweeter and interesting than yoruba music.
many do share same sentiments with me.

as for your friend Reno
I unfollwed the bastard long ago even before his fall out with igbos
the dude is a hypocritical narcissistic self righteous bastard.
I wonder what's he's upto with yorubas this time because he always has ulterior motives
[/s]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by JohnBullMySon: 9:43am On Jan 13, 2022
franchasng:
The answer to this question is LAGOS State.

Lagos State have a phenomenal influence and power over everything in Nigeria. Any music that got produced and accepted in Lagos always gets accepted in Nigeria. Lagos hosting almost all Nigerian tribes makes Yoruba dialect more easily understood and accepted by all Nigerian tribes than any other Nigerian dialect.

Reno Lagos is the answer.

Another point to reckon is the fact that Yorubas are jaiye people....they love parties a lot. That's why Yorubas close down roads to celebrate festivals or even naming ceremony. You cannot dare that in Igbo land where everybody is business focused.

Yoruba culture is more of partying and merriment which make their youths focus more on singing to entertain their people and others.....then the Lagos factor helps them sell nationwide and gets more easily accepted because almost all Nigerian tribes live in Lagos and speak and understand Yoruba....making Yoruba dialect easily accepted.
This shows you haven't travelled outside Lagos. Igbos do that a lot. Infact, it is a normal thing across the entire southern Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:43am On Jan 13, 2022
helinues:

But the first set of top musician artists from SW are not even from Lagos state.

Fela - Ogun state
King Sunny Ade- Ondo state
Obey - Ogun state
I.K Dairo - Osun state
brilliant counter
Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ObianujuAku1(f): 9:44am On Jan 13, 2022
[s]
ThatFairGuy1:
[/s]

who's this please?
Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ThatFairGuy1: 9:45am On Jan 13, 2022
Nakwansapolice angry
ObianujuAku1:
[s][/s]

who's this please?

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:45am On Jan 13, 2022
SonofLothbrok:
A music that fellow Africans don't like is not music.

Nigerian music is full of noise. The only reason Nigeria music are in the top chart of Mtv Africa is because Nigerians knows how to bribe their way to the very top.
tell me this is sarcasm please

3 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ObianujuAku1(f): 9:46am On Jan 13, 2022
[s]
ThatFairGuy1:
Nakwansapolice angry
[/s]
what's this one saying
Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ThatFairGuy1: 9:47am On Jan 13, 2022
Pioneer Hulbert Ogunde shouldn't be forgotten.
Ogun State.
Children of hate would always find excuse to hate. It's ancestral
helinues:

But the first set of top musician artists from SW are not even from Lagos state.

Fela - Ogun state
Obey - Ogun state
I.K Dairo - Osun state

6 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:47am On Jan 13, 2022
Tranquillity360:
You are a bit wrong.

We yorubas are more money driven.

Have you ever asked why there's skull mining and more ritual killing in our region.
orieburu

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by ThatFairGuy1: 9:48am On Jan 13, 2022
The questionnaire knows more to that than TT he respondent.

Change to your reporting and cancelling monikers
ObianujuAku1:
[s][/s]
what's this one saying

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by olowococoa: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2022
The TRUTH has been told

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Elemosho478: 9:52am On Jan 13, 2022
maestroferddi:
What is the meaning of this grossing crap of yours?

We are talking of the global impact of Nollywood and you are cherry-picking isolated works driven by internet and social media hype...

Like seriously, how old are you?

If the revenue generation aspect of Nollywood is crap to you, then you must be dorky because that is the most important aspect of the industry, the industry wouldn't have developed to this stage if it isn't generating enough money.

Only an idiot would believe the production aspect of Nollywood doesn't have any impact on Nollywood in general and called it work driven by social media and internet hype.

So you believe the scripts, qualities and pictures of the movies being produce doesn't matter? Only actors and actresses that matter? You are the kid here, I should be the one asking you about your age.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:54am On Jan 13, 2022
Soylife:
Yoruba music dey sweet die. Anytime I hear any song wey Dem speak Yoruba I go just dey vibe to am. If you see me when I dey sing Yoruba songs you go think say I be Yoruba boy,I no even understand wetin I dey sing sef. Every morning is zino,mohbad,jamo pyper I vibe to
lmao... What about the best of all.... Zazzu zeh grin

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Keizzmann(m): 9:55am On Jan 13, 2022
It's so unfortunate that our so called Ministry of Info and Culturr don't think outside the box in the same manner as this article states, instead it seems Lai is more concerned with manipulating information for the government than using culture to promote the nation. I tell you, that ministry alone could unite this nation and restructure it by making each tribe understand that what makes them unique is meant to serve as a selling point for this country instead of a cause for jealousy and hatred.

As for the universities, bigger shame from the reality that they're just existing to milk government instead of being equipped to aid government in these research and knowledge application. Look around the world to understand how top nations develop cures to various diseases, analyse complex historic and emerging datas and you'll find these institutions at the heart of everything.

I say it in hope, May God make Nigeria realize how blessed it already it and lift itself up to the giant it calls itself

Controversial Reno making sense

3 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:55am On Jan 13, 2022
Antoeni:
Because of Amala & Ewedu
omo werey

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aminusodiq(m): 9:57am On Jan 13, 2022
IPIGSRHYPO:
I don't normally agree with Reno on most things but I have to say he did a good research and made brilliant observations on the impact of Yoruba language on the world music industry. I have already noticed it but not the extent that he has been able to articulate and summarized it.

I love my heritage and my language, I make sure my kids try as much as possible to speak and understand it.

E ka ro, eyin eyan mi...
ekaaro sir... Eejiire bi?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by NobleRace: 9:57am On Jan 13, 2022
richiemcgold:
apart from other facts raised by reno here, I think religion also played a big role in the early development of Yoruba music artists. Fuji for instance was an offshoot of 'jiwere' which was common in Muslim dominated areas like ilorin & ibadan.
we can also trace the roots of juju music and highlife to white garment churches especially cherubim and seraphim.

Your assertion is not acceptable. These regions are existent in other tribes as well. What makes Yoruba different?

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by aviara: 9:58am On Jan 13, 2022
Yoruba's know how to use the media to promote and market anything to their advantage. For instance Davido is not a very good singer, infact I think he is less than an average singer but he has maintained his relevance and popularity through good image making, branding and marketing promotion. So I think Reno missed the point else all the Grammy award winners in Africa must have sang in Yoruba language.
Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Maj196(m): 9:59am On Jan 13, 2022
naijapikin2:
lies its Hausa. Even yorubas say wallai talai.
Wallahi is Arabic, Ode angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by scholes0(m): 9:59am On Jan 13, 2022
See all of them mentioning that it is because of Lagos effect.....
All of a sudden, Lagos is not 60% Igbo again. Reality sets in. Lmao. grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by donhackaz: 10:00am On Jan 13, 2022
helinues:

Fela - Ogun state
Obey - Ogun state
I.K Dairo - Osun state

Leave that mumu wey dey yarn nonsense

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by IPIGSRHYPO: 10:01am On Jan 13, 2022
aminusodiq:
ekaaro sir... Eejiire bi?

Aji re o.

O se omo Iya mi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Yabsun(m): 10:01am On Jan 13, 2022
maestroferddi:
You funny die...

If you are talking of A-list actors and actresses in Nollywood, where will you look?

If you want your movies to sell, who are the timbers and calibres you must include?

Ogbeni, Nollywood is purely and Igbo enterprise, dont argue, just ask your friend...

Yorubas were majorly in theatre dramatization but just lately began to embrace Nollywood having realized that theatre was becoming outmoded...
You're being misguided man! Listen to that guy you quoted. We are not talking of nollywood aired on Africa magic epic here. Classical Nollywood is dominated by Yoruba actors and producers. I'm a fan of nollywood movies so I know what I'm saying.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by Sheriman(m): 10:01am On Jan 13, 2022
mediainc:
Yorubas are cool, they understand life, I like their nature. Live and let's live, that is why everyone is running to Lagos for safety and to make money.
Yoruba people no like wahaala at all. Do your own make I do my own without disturbance. I love Yoruba people for this.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by johntolu: 10:03am On Jan 13, 2022
wallrichy:
You are very wrong there my brother. Yoruba music started dominating the world before Fela.......however, there is always symphony of sincerity, hope and positive rythm of gentleness and calmliness whenever Yoruba music is being aired on TV , Radio and even live show....I could remember a theatrical song of Oluronbi, the performances of Ogunde backed up with Yoruba genealogy rythm, the Olori Igbo, the several Yoruba love songs like Omo Pupa o, Omo Pupa lemi nfe, Omo Pupa o jowo moferan re o.....tin BA de London, mawa fowo oko ranse...........

Yorubas song is also more of a story, a true event being expressed in a sonorous and symphonic lyrics..... In Nigeria presently, any artist that wants to make a hit must either add Yoruba to his song or Collab with a Yoruba artist, without that, your music will be like fly in a pan. Really there is something unique about that Language and even the people......

You just spoke my mind, Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enf68hEsvys

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by mediainc: 10:08am On Jan 13, 2022
Sheriman:

Yoruba people no like wahaala at all. Do your own make I do my own without disturbance. I love Yoruba people for this.
This is understanding of life...it's transient, more about the experience.

6 Likes

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by adelaja70(m): 10:09am On Jan 13, 2022
DamianX:
When this same man says yorubas are fools and Igbos are the richest and most successful in Nigeria the descendants of demons will start crying.

Now them Dy suck Reno dick like lolly pop grin
You yourself know say that one na lie...

1 Like

Re: RENO - Why Does Music Of Yoruba Origin Breakthrough Globally ? by brio1408: 10:10am On Jan 13, 2022
You are right. Let me add my opinion too. J.J. Kuti (Fela's Grandpa) was one of the genius back then who influenced the game.
wallrichy:
You are very wrong there my brother. Yoruba music started dominating the world before Fela.......however, there is always symphony of sincerity, hope and positive rythm of gentleness and calmliness whenever Yoruba music is being aired on TV , Radio and even live show....I could remember a theatrical song of Oluronbi, the performances of Ogunde backed up with Yoruba genealogy rythm, the Olori Igbo, the several Yoruba love songs like Omo Pupa o, Omo Pupa lemi nfe, Omo Pupa o jowo moferan re o.....tin BA de London, mawa fowo oko ranse...........

Yorubas song is also more of a story, a true event being expressed in a sonorous and symphonic lyrics..... In Nigeria presently, any artist that wants to make a hit must either add Yoruba to his song or Collab with a Yoruba artist, without that, your music will be like fly in a pan. Really there is something unique about that Language and even the people......

in

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Wizkid Congratulates Burna Boy For Wining Best Africa Act Award At 2019 MTV EMA / Pasuma Alabi Arabambi Or Saheed Osupa Matagbamole / Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.