Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,066 members, 7,814,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? (12155 Views)

Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Dede1(m): 4:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

"capable to left a word"? What on earth does that mean, Mr low-rent version of Patrick Obahiabgon?
Not sure how this is relevant, even if true. Again, West was still the wealthiest region.
Seemed to have worked out pretty well, I think. Third party observers (like the foreigner that visited at that time) seem to agree.
Do you even believe what you just wrote?  grin In any case, as stated, economy-wise Eastern region was the poorest in Nigeria before oil. Even less fiscally sound than the North.

In my book, staging a street “Owambe” does not indicate the level of richness. I could not understand the depth of well-being of western region of Nigeria when all social indices staked against it.

I shall give the act of empty boasts to the region though. The claim of western region as the richest region was akin to the goofy claim of a millionaire who can not afford the bill for a breakfast. The region had claimed the invention of everything from free education to stadia yet the school-grade pupils from the region could not kick a round ball.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by ektbear: 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
Dede1:

In my book, staging a street “Owambe” does not indicate the level of richness. I could not understand the depth of well-being of western region of Nigeria when all social indices staked against it.

I shall give the act of empty boasts to the region though. The region had claimed the invention of everything from free education to stadia yet the school-grade pupils from the region could not kick a round ball.

You seem to have wrongly guessed that it is your book that anyone cares about. I'm more interested in the thoughts of those who lived at that time and legitimate scholars. Those who were able to speak objectively and quantitatively about the financial strength of each of the three regions before oil.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Dede1(m): 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2011
seanet02:

Dede has never been mentally stable. He is a real m0ron.

Of course, it takes one mentally disturbed son of an airhead to discern who is mentally unbalanced.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by aljharem3: 3:31pm On Jun 24, 2011
J12:

Azikiwe did not betray anybody. The University of Nigeria, Nsukka is an indellible achievement of Azikiwe. He aggresively fought for independence, he wasn't tribalistic, he never promoted/encouraged disunity and secessionists. I don't know what other achievements you expected.

so his only achievement for nigeria or his people is to build Nsukka university shocked grin grin grin grin

he was the not the only one that fought for independence, awolowo fought as well infact ZIK was over rated in that sense

no even igbenedion grand father built a university

so now the question again

WHAT DID NNAMDI ACHIEVE FOR NIGERIA AND HIS PEOPLE

awolowo did a lot for his people that even till today they respect the man

balewa did a lot for us in the north and was also detribalised

what nnamadi achieve apart from building a univerisity

because i can name a lot of failures he achieve while he was alive
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by aljharem3: 3:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
SO NO ONE CAN TELL ME/ US WHAT SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENT MADE BY ZIK

AND YET WE CELEBRATE MEDIOCRITY

WHAT A SHAMEFUL COUNTRY
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by dempeople(m): 5:18pm On Jun 24, 2011
Is this question of who is the most respected statesman (dead/Alive) not a straight-forward one? Who else but Zik?

Despite Zik's unpopularity amongst his ethnic people, one cannot but agree that he's easily the most respected statesman. His adamant believe in One Nigeria and his actions towards Ndigbo and the civil war, make him stand out in the mind of most Nigerians.

Both Sarduana and Awolowo were not really nationalistic statesmen in the actual sense of it though both were quite popular within their regions as opposed to Zik.

I personally prefer Akanu Ibiam to Zik anyday but my dislike for the man shouldn't becloud giving him honour, where due.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2011
@alj_harem
your question is a bit unfair you are asking about what Zik did for his people, although you know that Zik is non -tribalistic.

For me that is exactly what makes Zik admirable , as he is had a vision of making the "one NIgeria " dream work.

What he achieved for Nigeria as a whole unit is what people admire about him.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by jason123: 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2011
Nnamdi Azikwe because he saw NIGERIA not just East, West and North unlike Ahmado Bello and Awolowo.
Regionally, among the "three"? For me, Awolowo because his greatness is still felt in the West. His political spirit is still moving among the Yorubas.

All in all, Nnamdi takes it NATIONALLY!!!
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by EzeUche1(m): 6:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
The most critical of Nnamdi Azikiwe are mostly Igbo I must say. Look at some of my past threads about him, and I have been very critical of him.

But then again, if you travel around the continent, most people speak of Nnamdi Azikiwe. Another person that is often mentioned is Obasanjo for some reason.

And a few people in West Africa mention Uthman dan Fodio.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 25, 2011
OBJ would be loved by the west nations (white man) because he done thier bidding for them and devalued Naira by 500%
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by aljharem3: 3:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
GenBuhari:

OBJ would be loved by the west because he done thier bidding for them and devalued Naira by 500%

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

west love black man
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
General Gowon had much respect in Africa at time he was overthrown in 1975.

As an igbo it is difficult to write but it appears to have been the case.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by chris51(f): 3:52am On Sep 12, 2012
I go for Obafemi Awolowo. His displined life style had no parallel in his time. His free education put the west above all other regions. If he had got a go at the Presidency, Nigeria would have been a better nation

In military, Yakubu Gowon all the way
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nigerianschools: 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dont about most respected. Wat i do know is dat the people on the link cant be d most respected
https://www.nairaland.com/1227137/9-most-dangerous-nigerians-dead/1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bakare's 'Election Before 2015' Sermon Full Text / INEC Office, Bori, Rivers On Fire, PDP Youths Accused (Photos) / Lawmakers, Women Group In Court For Patience Jonathan, Case Adjourned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.