Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? (12157 Views)

Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by ektbear: 8:30pm On Jun 19, 2011
Of the ones I know of, I like Awolowo the best. Made some mistakes here and there, but overall did a pretty good job (especially in the 50s).
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by bomb1(m): 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2011
Aandoka
Umaru Dikko
Arthur Nzeribe
Ovie Whiskey
Yakubu Aiyegbeni
Mutallab
Iyiola Omisore
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by gymer(m): 9:49pm On Jun 19, 2011
OBJ is my most respected Nigeria's statesman.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by nagoma(m): 9:49pm On Jun 19, 2011
Zik of africa
tafawa Balewa
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by EzeUche1(m): 10:56pm On Jun 19, 2011
There is a reason why Nnamdi Azikiwe is known as the[b] "The Great Zik of Africa." [/b]

What other statesman in Nigeria had such terms to refer to them?

And I am not talking about the tribal champions.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Ngodigha: 11:00pm On Jun 19, 2011
Dennis OSADEBE
Michael Okpara.
Amb Ralph Uwechue.
Sen Obi Wali.
Sam Mbakwe PHD.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by abokine: 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2011
well we have the right to mention names that to some is rather disturbing,but really not until the last general election Buhari is the most respected stateman ever.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by lagcity(m): 11:17pm On Jun 19, 2011
i see guys here mentioning people who are not political leaders or figures.

well, as for me

Chief Obafemi Awolowo: Even many years after his death, our politicians are still trying to gain relevance and votes by invoking his name. As a politican, the fastest way to win hearts and minds in Western Nigeria is by associating with Awo. In many minds, Awo = development.

Sir Ahmadu Bello: see Awo post above, the same applies to Sir Bello. His name still does magic in the North, too.

Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe : his name doesn't evoke as much awe and emotions as Awo and Bello, but he's alright i guess. undecided undecided we named Airport after him.

Aminu Kano: a true man of his people

Ojukwu: also loved, trusted and respected by his people.

Muhammadu Buhari: love him or hate him, respect for the General cuts across Nigeria.

Shehu Musa Yaradua: scion of Northern nobility. When he died, the whole country was like,"holy crap! this Abacha mofo is crazy! he did this to the top dog?"

Pa Ajasin:
: told Abacha where to shove it.

Gani Fawehinmi: respected for his brave fight against injustice. we all thought he had a death wish.

Chief Sunday Awoniyi: respect cuts across Nigeria.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by honeric01(m): 12:22am On Jun 20, 2011
No wonder Nigeria is the way it is now.

Topic says "Nigeria's most respected statesman not statesmen, why are you people posting chronicles of names?
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 20, 2011
Funny thing is people didn't respect Sarowiwa until he died,

Same with FELA, When he was alive, people disrespected him a lot calling him weed head and what not?
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by member479760: 4:04am On Jun 20, 2011
Nigerians stop deceiving yourself, stop remembering those guys and stop branding them as hero. they are all worthless people. Just face the fact:
Some of them fought for independent for their own selfish interest and some ruled us by force, since 1960 nothing to show beside:
NO electricity;
NO free primary education for all;
NO good health service, they check up themselves oversea leaving ordinaries to die;
corruptions anywhere, none have been killed or sentenced to live for corruption
and the list goes on;
and yet someone posted this trash here, and also people are happy to supply names of failures.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by fegflu: 8:16am On Jun 20, 2011
As at today the 3 most respected pple in nigeria by our dear president are 1 olusegun obasanjo 2 ibrahim babangida 3 tony anenih, If any one of them die today- we are sure of a very exclusive state burial for them.as at 2day- All three can get anytin they want in this country frm our Mr President. They weild somuch influence politically economically in this country 2day, GBAM
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by fesse(f): 8:43am On Jun 20, 2011
All these our fore-fathers have questionable xter and they are behind our ordeal of today. None of them worth being a statesman. Without sentiment, i will give it to MUSA YARADUA, he had a very good and transparent mind for 9ja but unforturnately,he lost his life.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by RoadStar: 10:08am On Jun 20, 2011
lagcity:

i see guys here mentioning people who are not political leaders or figures.

well, as for me

Chief Obafemi Awolowo: Even many years after his death, our politicians are still trying to gain relevance and votes by invoking his name. As a politican, the fastest way to win hearts and minds in Western Nigeria is by associating with Awo. In many minds, Awo = development.

Sir Ahmadu Bello: see Awo post above, the same applies to Sir Bello. His name still does magic in the North, too.

Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe : his name doesn't evoke as much awe and emotions as Awo and Bello, but he's alright i guess. undecided undecided we named Airport after him.

Aminu Kano: a true man of his people

Ojukwu: also loved, trusted and respected by his people.

Muhammadu Buhari: love him or hate him, respect for the General cuts across Nigeria.

Shehu Musa Yaradua: scion of Northern nobility. When he died, the whole country was like,"holy crap! this Abacha mofo is crazy! he did this to the top dog?"

Pa Ajasin:
: told Abacha where to shove it.

Gani Fawehinmi: respected for his brave fight against injustice. we all thought he had a death wish.

Chief Sunday Awoniyi: respect cuts across Nigeria.
That is because he was neither a regionalist or tribalist.
He is the only one out of all the above who has been immortalised and has stuff named after him all over Nigeria.
In the SE and SS and the whole North asides Abuja there is not a single street named after Awo.
Same applies to Ahmadu Bello all over the south.
But for Zik, he has been immortalised all over.
SE, SS, North , SW
So I would go for Zik by far !
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by chimaike: 10:27am On Jun 20, 2011
fesse:

All these our fore-fathers have questionable xter and they are behind our ordeal of today. None of them worth being a statesman. Without sentiment, i will give it to MUSA YARADUA, he had a very good and transparent mind for 9ja but unforturnately,he lost his life.

I concur with you, he was such a nice man & he meant well, he is evergreen to me. May his soul RIP.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by fegflu: 10:32am On Jun 20, 2011
These r the people who I relevant 2day, Like it or leave it, As at today the 3 most respected pple  in nigeria by our dear president are 1 olusegun obasanjo 2 ibrahim babangida 3 tony anenih,   If any one of them die today- we are sure of a very exclusive state burial for them.as at 2day- All three can get anytin they want in this country frm our Mr President. They weild somuch influence politically economically in this country 2day,  GBAM
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by fd4all234(m): 11:31am On Jun 20, 2011
@fegflu u are very right and i all you said was well noted by me.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 20, 2011
Awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo awo
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by striker07(m): 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2011
Without Sentiment i give it Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by malaria(f): 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2011
Late umaru musa yar'adua.may he Rip
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Eziachi: 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2011
Thatdave:

obasanjo
for successfully introducing democracy and wiping out the millitant odi village. successfully disabling past military presidents from taking over the throne again - babangida and buhari.

GEJ - for presenting true democracy at the expense of PDPs life as a monster party. for refusing to arrest buhari just to keep one nigeria despite the sponsored bomb blasts and inciteful statements.
Try keeping your NL password secret from your grandchildren, I am sure they posted this using your sign in.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by selingel: 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2011
Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions!.
To me, I will give it to the 3 Wizards:
1. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.
2. Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
3. Tafawa Balewa.
These men were wonderful one way or the other. Whoever does not see what they did, does not know Nigerian history. They may not be the best, but merit being mentioned by me!.

My only observation on this thread is that, it has already gone on the tribal end. In fact, I even read where someone said, Awolowo was tribal. If the other 2 were as tribal as he was, I think this nation would have been better. Till tommorow, even non-Yorubas, will ever live to remember this man called "Awo". In fact, under Awo (as 2b, I will mention Lateef Jakande). Awo was tribal, as it may seem, but his people loved him because of all the developmental structures that are even still available till date. I will ask here, what legacy did Zik leave for the then Eastern Nigeria (except for his stand at the national level)? I have been to most places in the current South Eastern land, and even South-South which is even my base, but can hardly say, yes Zik gave us this, so I wont forget him for life. For a tribalist then, the list is endless. I am waiting to be proved wrong. Look at the current South Eastern country, they are still at the beginning level, despite all the greats they too can boast of. So, what did Zik really do? Pardon me, Ojukwu has more respect to me, than Zik. Ojukwu never fought a personal course, but needed the same development he kept seeing in other parts of the nation, and wanted to stop the endless killing of his people, out his domain. Is that man not better than a nationalist, who kept taking of visitors, but members of his house were dieing of hunger, illeracy, erosion menace, and massive killings up there?
In summary, they all tried, but dont nail one for being a tribalist. If one could win one or two stuff for his end, and his people love him for that, then is part of development. Mine is simple, dont do this at the expense of others. Dont even do it the Ibori style (steal and develop your place), for some day, you will go to LONDON, lol.
Just leave a lasting legacy, which people will remember you for. Naming of streets after a man, is not any legacy please! Lets correct that, else people like IBB, will be mentioned amongst the 1st 5 in this nation.
This is my humble observation, and opinion. I think I am entitle to it. Please, rather than quote me, please say your own.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by selingel: 7:22pm On Jun 20, 2011
Please pardon my typing errors, but get the message.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by nagoma(m): 9:31pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dear Selingel - what you said about Zik are exactly why he is the greatest. He was for Nigeria and the question is about the greatest Nigrian statesman and not Eastern Nigerian or Igbo statesman. He was head and shoulders above the rest.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by ZnO: 9:54pm On Jun 20, 2011
No question asked: Zik is[b] by FAR[/b] THE GREATEST
The rest are secondary and tertiary entities
Some (e.g., Awo) are not even known beyond their tribal enclaves
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by aljharem3: 9:56pm On Jun 20, 2011
ZnO:

u back, when are u going to be done with ur hydropon,,.,.,
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
Buhari, the only Nigerian that can singlehandedly form a party, get 12m votes within one year, rattle a party that had been existing for more than a decade, a party having billions,a ruling party with incumbency factor etc.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by jmaine: 10:43pm On Jun 20, 2011
Jarus:

Buhari, the only Nigerian that can singlehandedly form a party, get 12m votes within one year, rattle a party that had been existing for more than a decade, a party having billions,a ruling party with incumbency factor etc.

What about the carnage he caused with his unguided utterances . . he will go in as one of the worst and the most inefficient states man ever  
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by ZnO: 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2011
Who respects Buhari in the SE and SS and partly in the SW and even in parts of the the N? Only islamic fundamentalists and coup plotters do. I'd take Tafawa Balewa way b4 Buhari. Even IBB is better.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 20, 2011
Jarus:

How on earth will you call a coupist/terrorist the best thing to happen to Nigeria ? Some of you people can be terrible !
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by EzeUche1(m): 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2011
ZnO:

That is the truth!

Nnamdi Azikiwe was not a tribal champion, but a true nationalist like Herbert Macaulay. He is widely respected across Africa and history will look favorably at his dream.

Zikism will live again.
Re: Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? by Enjoyment1(f): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2011
selingel:

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions!.
To me, I will give it to the 3 Wizards:
1. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.
2. Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
3. Tafawa Balewa.
These men were wonderful one way or the other. Whoever does not see what they did, does not know Nigerian history. They may not be the best, but merit being mentioned by me!.

My only observation on this thread is that, it has already gone on the tribal end. In fact, I even read where someone said, Awolowo was tribal. If the other 2 were as tribal as he was, I think this nation would have been better. Till tommorow, even non-Yorubas, will ever live to remember this man called "Awo". In fact, under Awo (as 2b, I will mention Lateef Jakande). Awo was tribal, as it may seem, but his people loved him because of all the developmental structures that are even still available till date. I will ask here, what legacy did Zik leave for the then Eastern Nigeria (except for his stand at the national level)? I have been to most places in the current South Eastern land, and even South-South which is even my base, but can hardly say, yes Zik gave us this, so I wont forget him for life. For a tribalist then, the list is endless. I am waiting to be proved wrong. Look at the current South Eastern country, they are still at the beginning level, despite all the greats they too can boast of. So, what did Zik really do? Pardon me, Ojukwu has more respect to me, than Zik. Ojukwu never fought a personal course, but needed the same development he kept seeing in other parts of the nation, and wanted to stop the endless killing of his people, out his domain. Is that man not better than a nationalist, who kept taking of visitors, but members of his house were dieing of hunger, illeracy, erosion menace, and massive killings up there?
In summary, they all tried, but dont nail one for being a tribalist. If one could win one or two stuff for his end, and his people love him for that, then is part of development. Mine is simple, dont do this at the expense of others. Dont even do it the Ibori style (steal and develop your place), for some day, you will go to LONDON, lol.
Just leave a lasting legacy, which people will remember you for. Naming of streets after a man, is not any legacy please! Lets correct that, else people like IBB, will be mentioned amongst the 1st 5 in this nation.
This is my humble observation, and opinion. I think I am entitle to it. Please, rather than quote me, please say your own.

Absolutely!. Zik too tried, but my concern remains, the actual stuff on ground that he will be remembered for? Though he really goofed on infrastructure on ground, he really fought to keep Nigeria as one!. Give it to him, is a true Nationalist.

nagoma:

Dear Selingel - what you said about Zik are exactly why he is the greatest. He was for Nigeria and the question is about the greatest Nigrian statesman and not Eastern Nigerian or Igbo statesman. He was head and shoulders above the rest.

Hmm, you really like this man!

Anyway, I am ashamed of all those that are mentioning Buhari here. Perhaps, they dont know the meaning of a Stateman. How can someone mention votes, and political party, as criteria? Did he/she forget that, even during his Military headship, he was a ceremonial dictator? How can a coupist, and most embarrasing, the person who derailed democracy, be a stateman? How can a religious biggot, be a stateman? Even when he came out to vote, he showed the whole world that he was a tribalist, by speaking in Hausa, before going English. What does that mean? How can he be a stateman, when he was compelled to urge his supporters to calm down, when election results sparked off killings in some part of the nation? His credentials are too dirty, please!. Till date, does anyone have a copy of all the monies, he collected and spent under PTF? Even as PTF boss, it was almost ration 70 to 30, on provision of infrastructure between the north and south. Today, the north have the best road network in this country. So, all those mentioning Buhari here, should bow their heads in shame, and please leave this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Angry Jonathan Reportedly Blasts Diezani, Sent Her Out Of Aso Rock / Governor Ambode Unveils Plans To Build Five New Arts Theatres. / 2019: Fela Durotoye A Mole Planted By Presidency To Destroy ANN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.