Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? (20491 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / No Drainage: How Can I Report My Landlord To Lagos State Government? Pls Help! / How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
Funkymode:
It's not, you still have at least 6 months to look for another, and even after this 6 months elapsed and you still haven't gotten a place, he will give you another 6 months and even this again you still haven't, you still have another 6 months, and if you still haven't gotten any, you'll be given the last 6 months, and if you still did not get, then you're on your own
6 months × 4, that's 2 years, the maximum you'll be given without paying a dime through our the period of time, but all this is through court ooo

Try that with me and you will blame yourself!!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Owen247: 12:06pm On Jan 15, 2022
RoyalBoutique:

First of all, you should have a separate bank account for your bills.

This is where you put in a percentage of your salary every month, so that by the end of the year, it will not choke.

Secondly, no your landlord has no right to throw your things out.

Thirdly, you can take him to court if he does. If you don't have money for a lawyer, there are many pro bono lawyers that hang around the court.

Either way, you must get justice.
Ur right sha.but this is nigeria, technically the landlord is richer dan him so he can bribe and win the case[so sad ] i just pray GOD Will grease his pocket to aviod this.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by SarutobiEky(m): 12:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
Dreytonisback:
In 2pac's voice : I love paying rents when then rent's due
I hope you got the diamond necklace I sent to ya

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Boss man. Happy new year. Long time no see.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by jerrybakermillz(m): 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:
Hello nairalanders, I trust God we are all fine... happy new year to you all.
Without wasing time I will love to go straight to the point. Comrades and erudites in the house please, I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month
because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I
pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little
challenge.

How much is the rent?

I'm a student in the day, security guard at night this I have been doing for the past 3yrs to see myself through school instead of dropping out after I lost my sponsor...I actually had plans of paying my rent before 10th of January with the help of my December salary but it's rather unfortunate that uptill now my boss is yet to pay my December salary...and my landlord doesn't have patience in his dictionary, I can't even go to my room any more because of his threat...I'm just hanging around hoping to see salary alert any of this days but should it tarries and he goes on to throw my things out what can I do? Plus is he right to do that?

Please honourable nairalanders your input in this matter will be highly appreciated...
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by asanausana91: 12:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
mfm04622:

He doesn't need a court order to evict a owing tenant
ok, thanks for enlightening me. Iam not a lawyer.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by jerrybakermillz(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:
Without wasing time I will love to go straight to the point. Comrades and erudites in the house please, I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little challenge.

I'm a student in the day, security guard at night this I have been doing for the past 3yrs to see myself through school instead of dropping out after I lost my sponsor...I actually had plans of paying my rent before 10th of January with the help of my December salary but it's rather unfortunate that uptill now my boss is yet to pay my December salary...and my landlord doesn't have patience in his dictionary, I can't even go to my room any more because of his threat...I'm just hanging around hoping to see salary alert any of this days but should it tarries and he goes on to throw my things out what can I do? Plus is he right to do that?

Please honourable nairalanders your input in this matter will be highly appreciated...

How much is the rent ?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Allisgud:
oga na where u work be dat I don see security wey earn up to 67k
What is the name of the security agency?
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by News100(m): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
How much is your rent?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by dominique(f): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
E fit be format o. If you know you know

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by donnaheff: 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
RoyalBoutique:

First of all, you should have a separate bank account for your bills.

This is where you put in a percentage of your salary every month, so that by the end of the year, it will not choke.

Secondly, no your landlord has no right to throw your things out.

Thirdly, you can take him to court if he does. If you don't have money for a lawyer, there are many pro bono lawyers that hang around the court.

Either way, you must get justice.

Bros, at the expiration of your rent, you become a trespasser in the house. Tenancy which is a contractual agreement between the tenant and the landlord is only defined within the content of the agreement entered between you two. At the expiration of the rent, there is no more legal contract binding you two and the landlord is at liberty to re-take possession of the property. You should go into a negotiated settlement with him and avoid a standoff with him cos he is protected by law.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by donnaheff: 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little challenge.

Bros, at the expiration of your rent, you become a trespasser in the house. Tenancy which is a contractual agreement between the tenant and the landlord is only defined within the content of the agreement entered between you two. At the expiration of the rent, there is no more legal contract binding you two and the landlord is at liberty to re-take possession of the property. You should go into a negotiated settlement with him and avoid a standoff with him cos he is protected by law.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by gassbee: 12:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
Funkymode:
It's not, you still have at least 6 months to look for another, and even after this 6 months elapsed and you still haven't gotten a place, he will give you another 6 months and even this again you still haven't, you still have another 6 months, and if you still haven't gotten any, you'll be given the last 6 months, and if you still did not get, then you're on your own
6 months × 4, that's 2 years, the maximum you'll be given without paying a dime through our the period of time, but all this is through court ooo
bros wake up day don break
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by everythinggirly(f): 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
Fear Nigerian landlords and landladies, they can do and undo.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by President2001(m): 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2022
Bro relax he can't throw it out is because you have fear of God, he can't try it with radical guys
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by tonididdy(m): 12:27pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

Tell your boss of your landlords actions.
If he has a conscience he will pay you immediately to sort your problems.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by tonididdy(m): 12:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
Nigerian tenants are also heartless.
That house is somebody's business too.
Why should you owe?

... One of my tenants has being owing over 5 months, on the 6th month I sent some boys to break into the apartment... Lo and behold this tenant had moved out 90% of his belongings.
The only meaningful thing left was gas cylinder and cooker and some clothes, I instructed everything should be seized and the locks changed.

He called begging and I insisted he must clear his rent for such acts ( I could have allowed him leave peacefully if he didn't try to leave like a thief).

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Manspeaks(m): 12:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
Dialpad:

BTW, why are you doing security job... young man, get out of that BS job... learn an online skill... every time you get paid that salary, convert it to US dollars, you will realize how worthless it is.

What type of advice you guys always give online!?
If it's so easy learning, please teach him one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

Please PM me your account details.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 15, 2022
President2001:
Bro relax he can't throw it out is because you have fear of God, he can't try it with radical guys
What an Advice!
He should relax abiiiii.
..... na him get house.
He ploughed the Land for his Landlord when structures were being erected.
Nigerians living in Nigeria are really enjoying.
You wouldn't utter such, if you reside abroad, because everyone knows his properties will be out next few hours.
You should charge him to pay up & not that!.
U go be Landlord tomorrow too,and you go remember this tweet.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
Ayemoso17:
Take him to court and lie against that you about #2m in that room I swear to God he will pay every Kobo.
E no go work.If he get that kind money,why him no fit pay 42k inside?
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by CaptainFM1: 12:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

Has he giving you due written notices?
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
tonididdy:
Nigerian tenants are also heartless.
That house is somebody's business too.
Why should you owe?

... One of my tenants has being owing over 5 months, on the 6th month I sent some boys to break into the apartment... Lo and behold this tenant had moved out 90% of his belongings.
The only meaningful thing left was gas cylinder and cooker and some clothes, I instructed everything should be seized and the locks changed.

He called begging and I insisted he must clear his rent for such acts ( I could have allowed him leave peacefully if he didn't try to leave like a thief).
Most of them always weaponise sympathy.
One of my Tenants owes me for a year now.
& he does this oftenly. He knows I'm not around
He keeps using the name of God as weapon.
I may forcefully convert his apartment to a poultry.
I have vowed never to erect residential buildings again. There's no profit.
I rather erect CHURCHES and Private Schools.
They pay well! That's what they need.
Churches are cheaper to build.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Dialpad: 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
That's the problem with the average Nigerian, they see impossibility at every opportunity. So you mean he should remain at the security job and end up with the lousy 20k monthly?

People help those who ask, don't beg for money for food, tell people your plans. What stops him from talking to people around him telling them he needs help with training, laptop to run his training etc .

Closed mouths don't get fed.

Nogymmarts:

naso e easy, he wont buy laptop, sub to d connection, eat and buy wares abi no be from d work he go get money to do all this without help from anybody
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2022
Werey go and pay your rent!!!!.....

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by gare2510(m): 12:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
My guy whether it is right or not doesn't stop him from throwing your things out if he really means to. Go and meet him and reach an understanding some thing workable for both of you. Then how do you manage your money, just a suggestion you can start a daily contribution that allows you to collect your money near when rent is due so you pay conveniently. If your current income can't cater for your basic expenses (rent etc) then maybe you need to recalibrate your living standards to match your income. All the best
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by tonididdy(m): 12:54pm On Jan 15, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Most of them always weaponise sympathy.
One of my Tenants owes me for a year now.
& he does this oftenly. He knows I'm not around
He keeps using the name of God as weapon.
I may forcefully convert his apartment to a poultry.
I have vowed never to erect residential buildings again. There's no profit.
I rather erect CHURCHES and Private Schools.
They pay well! That's what they need.
Churches are cheaper to build.

.. and guess what?
This same tenant is a pastor too.
He calls me 14 mins or more to tell me how hard the county is and blablabla.

Modified: the business is not bad idea but requires a body to be in charge of the rent collection.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nchenches: 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Lawyers in the forum: advise please.
Can the federal government employer of my tenant pay rent which the tenant refused to pay after a court had ordered him to vacate the flat and ordered him to pay the stated amount of money he was owing in arrears of rent?
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by ChiefAtang: 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
mfm04622:

That right is conferred on him by paying his rent! The moment his rent expires, all his right is extinguished.

The law always protects the tenant. Whether or not the right extinguishes by virtue of the expiration of his rent, the landlord has no right to break in and throw his properties outside. If landlord desires to recover possession, he should follow due process
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
tonididdy:

.. and guess what?
This same tenant is a pastor too.
He calls me 14 mins or more to tell me how hard the county is and blablabla.

Modified: the business is not bad idea but requires a body to be in charge of the rent collection.
Just imagine.
Na these Youth Pastors owe pass ooo.
I rejected a lot of them.
My brother, just 150k per annum for 2 bedroom, person no dey meet up. I think he does it intentionally. Others have paid. And He does this oftenly. Meanwhile, same Guy has got a lucrative business. I'm not benefitting anything from the structure. I may mess the environment up with poultry birds soon. It takes only an order.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by tiswell(m): 1:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
dominique:
E fit be format o. If you know you know
you just maybe right cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Ayobamix(m): 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
Ayemoso17:
Take him to court and lie against that you about #2m in that room I swear to God he will pay every Kobo.
brother how did you know what is my mind this is the right thing to do if you can read this post you're already a millionaire its matter of days
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mysteriouspee: 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

I sent you an email earlier. How much is your rent? Send me your account number.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

House Burnt Down Because Of High Voltage In Iviegbo, Edo State / Police Teargas Protesters At Collapsed Building Site In Abuja / What Is Wrong With This Building Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.