Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,231 members, 7,849,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:32 AM

Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos (6421 Views)

Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 / Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega / Pressure On Lawmakers To Impeach Gov. Okorocha. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by aljharem3: 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2011
jason123:

A very good question. I know lots of SWestern people in UK that are planning to settle in Port harcourt when they come to Nigeria.

Other states are not taking advantage of their "situation". For instance, Ogun state should be the next big thing because of the increase in working class people that want cheap accommodation. This can ONLY be achieved of there is a FAST TRAIN FROM LAGOS TO OGUN!

Port harcourt will sooner, rather than later, become the next "Lagos". States such as Abia and Awka Ibom will be at the advantage.

We need  to "ECONOMICALLY INTEGRATE" these major cities. What I mean by this is, build a major FAST train from Ogun and Kwara (we need to be able to transport food fast) to Lagos, to Delta(Warri), Edo, to Port harcourt to Akwa Ibom (calabar to be specific), to Abia back to Delta(Asaba), then, a direct non-stop train to Kano, then, back to Lagos. Let Abuja remain the FCT for the thieves.

If this can be done, it will reduce the pressure on our roads, thus reducing traffic. It will also save time and as they say, "time is money". This will boost our revenue and will be sustainable in the long run.

u forgot, borno, lokoja, jigawa, and sokoto
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Roland17(m): 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2011
some people read threads like this and can still point a finger at Fashola, i wonder what our youths re turning into sha.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by T9ksy(m): 3:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
jason123:

We need  to "ECONOMICALLY INTEGRATE" these major cities. What I mean by this is, build a major FAST train from Ogun and Kwara (we need to be able to transport food fast) to Lagos, to Delta(Warri), Edo, to Port harcourt to Akwa Ibom (calabar to be specific), to Abia back to Delta(Asaba), then, a direct non-stop train to Kano, then, back to Lagos. Let Abuja remain the FCT for the thieves.

If this can be done, it will reduce the pressure on our roads, thus reducing traffic. It will also save time and as they say, "time is money". This will boost our revenue and will be sustainable in the long run.

@ Jason,

of course, its a no-brainer that we need to integrate our major cities to facilitate major developments throughout the country. Unfortunately, those in the haulage business will fight tooth and nail to make sure such projects do not see the light of day. This happens to be the source of our stagnation- our leaders are so myopic and narrow-minded that they can't see the long-term benefits of such projects and will rather block them than see them through.

Even the highly-functional rail systems bequeathed to us by our colonial masters are now moribund. we saw how the brits used them to move goods easier and faster round the nation. we haven't even been able to maintain them never mind improve on them.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by kcjazz(m): 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2011
jason123:

A very good question. I know lots of SWestern people in UK that are planning to settle in Port harcourt when they come to Nigeria.

Other states are not taking advantage of their "situation". For instance, Ogun state should be the next big thing because of the increase in working class people that want cheap accommodation. This can ONLY be achieved of there is a FAST TRAIN FROM LAGOS TO OGUN!

Port harcourt will sooner, rather than later, become the next "Lagos". States such as Abia and Awka Ibom will be at the advantage.

The issue of a fast train will require huge investment costs and it is a long term plan. Even in Lagos, we have under utilized our water ways and water transport. We should make it more attractive in the mean time. In terms of moving foods, we need storage centers at different zones in the country and a road network

More so what states have the best electricity, I doubt it is Lagos, and why are folks not moving en masse to those states insecurity? religious intolerance? etc. Its why I still feel NYSC will play a major role in moving folks around, its being playing this role since inception and we just need to review and restructure it to address an economic problem
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Reference(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2011
Indeed a recent study reveals that over [size=13pt][color=#770077]25,000 people from across the world move into Lagos for various reasons on a daily basis.

This statement is another high flying kite that's not entirely accurate. Our population is rapidly rising and rural urban drift is well in tango with wide spread poverty but this is common to all urban cities in Nigeria not Lagos alone. The Portharcourt I met in 1996 is a fraction of what it is today. Abuja in the days of the Abacha regime is nothing like it is today. Crowding, traffic jams, etc. To say or mean 25,000 people move into or locate to Lagos on a daily basis will no doubt empty the population of the remaining states and capitals of Nigeria in just 13 years when we know they are all growing simultaneously.

Our population growth is just unsustainable. This is one area we have to tackle with all vigour. China and India are two countries with similar profiles to ours and have both effected population control policies. And they came way before their boom years. However if we believe a large population is an asset like some do then that population has to be productive and hey can only be if they are educated and enlightened which unfortunately is not the case so we readily feel the impact.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by tpia5: 3:47pm On Jun 20, 2011
This can ONLY be achieved of there is a FAST TRAIN FROM LAGOS TO OGUN!

and to ibadan sef.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by aljharem3: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
Reference:

Indeed a recent study reveals that over [size=13pt][color=#770077]25,000 people from across the world move into Lagos for various reasons on a daily basis.

This statement is another high flying kite that's not entirely accurate. Our population is rapidly rising and rural urban drift is well in tango with wide spread poverty but this is common to all urban cities in Nigeria not Lagos alone. The Portharcourt I met in 1996 is a fraction of what it is today. Abuja in the days of the Abacha regime is nothing like it is today. Crowding, traffic jams, etc. To say or mean 25,000 people move into or locate to Lagos on a daily basis will no doubt empty the population of the remaining states and capitals of Nigeria in just 13 years when we know they are all growing simultaneously.

Our population growth is just unsustainable. This is one area we have to tackle with all vigour. China and India are two countries with similar profiles to ours and have both effected population control policies. And they came way before their boom years. However if we believe a large population is an asset like some do then that population has to be productive and hey can only be if they are educated and enlightened which unfortunately is not the case so we readily feel the impact.
welll said as well, didn't think from that point of view
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mariory(m): 4:03pm On Jun 20, 2011
Reference:

To say or mean 25,000 people move into or locate to Lagos on a daily basis will no doubt empty the population of the remaining states and capitals of Nigeria in just 13 years when we know they are all growing simultaneously.

No it won't. Just because he says 25,000 people move into Lagos daily for various reasons doesn't mean all those people settle in Lagos. He also indicated that number includes people from all over the world not just from Nigeria.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by AjanleKoko: 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
Wallie:

I like the direction of this thread…

There’s no denying that Lagos has decades of infrastructure head start when compared to almost every other state. However, just like Jason123 said earlier, other states don’t have to be like Lagos and should instead take advantage of their inherent capabilities.

As stated earlier, Ogun has the most to gain from Lagos due to its proximity, low population density and low housing cost. Abeokuta is only about 70km (50 miles) away from the center of Lagos which makes it well within a daily commute in most parts of the world with advanced transportation. Can you imagine if there’s a modern high speed rail that connects Abeokuta to Lagos?

Generally speaking, any state willing to attract businesses needs to provide (1) adequate security, (2) reliable infrastructure, and (3) tax incentives.

Well, the issue is . . . are any of the other states as forward-looking as Lagos?
At least Lagos is able to adequately assess and attempt to harness the state's revenue generating potentials. Most other states just wait for the federal allocation, and share.

A modern high-speed railway in Nigeria is probably 50+ years away. Maybe even a hundred.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by jason123: 4:24pm On Jun 20, 2011
T9ksy:

@ Jason,

of course, its a no-brainer that we need to integrate our major cities to facilitate major developments throughout the country. Unfortunately, those in the haulage business will fight tooth and nail to make sure such projects do not see the light of day. This happens to be the source of our stagnation- our leaders are so myopic and narrow-minded that they can't see the long-term benefits of such projects and will rather block them than see them through.

Even the highly-functional rail systems bequeathed to us by our colonial masters are now moribund. we saw how the brits used them to move goods easier and faster round the nation. we haven't even been able to maintain them never mind improve on them.

Abeg, no mind those people. So stupi.d!!! angry

kcjazz:

The issue of a fast train will require huge investment costs and it is a long term plan. Even in Lagos, we have under utilized our water ways and water transport. We should make it more attractive in the mean time. In terms of moving foods, we need storage centers at different zones in the country and a road network

More so what states have the best electricity, I doubt it is Lagos, and why are folks not moving en masse to those states insecurity? religious intolerance? etc. Its why I still feel NYSC will play a major role in moving folks around, its being playing this role since inception and we just need to review and restructure it to address an economic problem

Good point but even with the huge investment, are we(Nigerians) not going to achieve greater rewards, revenue and mix up more?? The NYSC has and is still failing because the Government is[b] FORCING[/b] people to move to these cities. Without will power and the ability of these youths to voluntarily move to these cities, you will have a fail project such as the NYSC.
What I mean by this is, if an Igbo man wants to move to Kogi voluntarily, he knows he has to mix up with the locals and essentially become a Kogi man. Likewise a Yoruba man wants to start up a business in Imo, he has to learn the Igbo language, the culture and become an "Imo man" (at least, during his duration in that state).
All this will promote tolerance naturally, not the NYSC program to FORCES PEOPLE ON A COMMUNITY.

The trains do not have to run on electricity. Their are other types of technology that can be used. Even if its on electricity, what will it take the government to build a power station, with the sole aim of providing the necessary power to move this machine

About storage centres,
I reckon we can feed ourselves. What I mean by that is, the MB has the best soil in the country, yet, it also has large expanses of unused lands. Tapping into this will create employment for the unskilled labourers. Also, what will it take the state government or regional government (when we go to federalism not this quasi-trash we currently operate), to buy this goods and store them After all, the North had groundnut pyramids. Remember, that they did not have the technology to store food back then, yet they still stored. So what about now All these things can be done when we have a focused man at the center.

All in all, the advantages of economically integrating these cities (mention earlier) out weighs the disadvantages.  There will be no over congested city in Nigeria. Skilled labour can be shared within communities. Natural mixing of people will be encourage. Laziness will be discouraged because if you do not do something with your state such as promoting tourism and all, you will starve!!! Before you know it, tribal and religious tolerance will be in everyone's mind.

MO
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by jason123: 4:26pm On Jun 20, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well, the issue is . . . are any of the other states as forward-looking as Lagos?
At least Lagos is able to adequately assess and attempt to harness the state's revenue generating potentials. Most other states just wait for the federal allocation, and share.

A modern high-speed railway in Nigeria is probably 50+ years away. Maybe even a hundred.

Very very true. I know a lot of states will be made redundant without Oil money sad
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by vantageguy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2011
Now dat most of d southwest governors r from d same party(A progressive one at dat), there's no better time than now to start co-operating in their economic plans in order to tie the economic destinys of these states together. i believe mimioko will join the train despite their political differences.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Calculia: 5:11pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dis Guy
River Exe

You mean Jonathan should run from abuja to be safe? how nice

No, he will stay in Abuja and die for this God forsaken country, for nothing. I said it before and will reiterate, for safety reasons because of terrorism, Jonathan need to move Abuja(FCT) to Port-Harcourt, for any planned infrastructural development investment to be making sense for the Niger-Delta(The region dat lays the Golden egg of Nigeria.)
[/b]
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Wallie(m): 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2011
AjanleKoko:

lol, I agree with you but someone has to make the State governments see the benefits that a high speed rail could bring.

Based on a quick search, I found that the rail will cost about $1m -$1.3m per mile and about $300k per year for maintenance. From the above, it will cost about $50m-$75m to build the railroad to Abeokuta and about $15million a year for maintenance.

If the fare cost $1 for people without cargo and 100,000 people are transported in a day, that will equate to $100,000 in revenue per day. If a loan was obtained for $75 million dollars at 5% for 5 years, the revenue made in the first 15 days in a month can be used to pay back the loan.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by kcjazz(m): 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2011
jason123:

Good point but even with the huge investment, are we(Nigerians) not going to achieve greater rewards, revenue and mix up more?? The NYSC has and is still failing because the Government is[b] FORCING[/b] people to move to these cities. Without will power and the ability of these youths to voluntarily move to these cities, you will have a fail project such as the NYSC.
What I mean by this is, if an Igbo man wants to move to Kogi voluntarily, he knows he has to mix up with the locals and essentially become a Kogi man. Likewise a Yoruba man wants to start up a business in Imo, he has to learn the Igbo language, the culture and become an "Imo man" (at least, during his duration in that state).
All this will promote tolerance naturally, not the NYSC program to FORCES PEOPLE ON A COMMUNITY.

The trains do not have to run on electricity. Their are other types of technology that can be used. Even if its on electricity, what will it take the government to build a power station, with the sole aim of providing the necessary power to move this machine

About storage centres,
I reckon we can feed ourselves. What I mean by that is, the MB has the best soil in the country, yet, it also has large expanses of unused lands. Tapping into this will create employment for the unskilled labourers. Also, what will it take the state government or regional government (when we go to federalism not this quasi-trash we currently operate), to buy this goods and store them After all, the North had groundnut pyramids. Remember, that they did not have the technology to store food back then, yet they still stored. So what about now All these things can be done when we have a focused man at the center.

All in all, the advantages of economically integrating these cities (mention earlier) out weighs the disadvantages.  There will be no over congested city in Nigeria. Skilled labour can be shared within communities. Natural mixing of people will be encourage. Laziness will be discouraged because if you do not do something with your state such as promoting tourism and all, you will starve!!! Before you know it, tribal and religious tolerance will be in everyone's mind.

MO

Per NYSC program, it is a national service and No! the government is not forcing people to go where. It is a program that has being abused but it could help to boost the need for migration. People naturally don't like leaving their comfort zones. Ask any corper posted to Lagos or Abuja, do they go back to the states of origin of say Ebonyi after service? Most of them No! Young graduate gets an opportunity he stays.

That said, why do NYSC folks posted to Ebonyi or Imo move after service? Maybe the local civil service or business environment does not support immigrants. This is why Lagos is the king with or without a good government, the tolerance level in Lagos is higher compared to other states.

In 1960 at independence, Ibadan was the most populous city in Nigeria, what happened?

More so encouraging rural agriculture helps with keeping folks in their localities. Allowing more sea ports and airports to run fully will do wonders. And then the issue of business practices by Igbo apprentice programs has also affected and will continue to lead to more folks moving to Lagos, Kano, PH, Abuja etc in fact I feel this is why other states needs to harness their resources and encourage entrepreneurs to come in
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by DisGuy: 8:18pm On Jun 20, 2011
Calculia:

Dis Guy
River Exe

No, he will stay in Abuja and die for this God forsaken country, for nothing. I said it before and will reiterate, for safety reasons because of terrorism, Jonathan need to move Abuja(FCT) to Port-Harcourt, for any planned infrastructural development investment to be making sense for the Niger-Delta(The region dat lays the Golden egg of Nigeria.)
[/b]

die for this God forsaken country is what his job needs! abi no be why him apply for the post be that? if he doesnt want to die for the country he is leading he might as well quit and go compete for a job as governor of Bayelsa, Not like he helped the cause of the ND (kudos to him for the monthly stipend he paid militants to give him some breathing space)
instead of moving the Capital, why not just make sure the ministry/Commission created solely for the ND do their work, or re-jig the revenue formula
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by lastpage: 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2011
My Take:

There is no need to "force" anyone to relocate, just like the "forces" of demand and supply NATURALLY settles and gives equilibrium to price, so will a combination of "economic factors" like security, cost of accommodation, availability of job opportunities, taxation, availability of air and road networks,  will naturally decide where companies get localized and where people live!

Again, until we have "forward thinking and visionary" leaders (not those whose only reason for aspiring to office is to get rich quick and loot blindly), some of these simple yet very important milestones may not be achievable!
I THINK WE MAY IMPLODE SOMETIME NOT FAR OFF, if the current trend of lootocracy continues!.

Lets even assume it takes two years to re-pay a loan used to build a Light Rail and a fast Inter-State Rail System!
Lets even assume the government levies a #100/head (one family will pay an average of #500- #1,000) to contribute to the project!

I think it is still worth it, profitable,  shows foresight on the part of government and the people will appreciate it!

With regards to "moving around" the country, what we need to do is to "de-emphasize or completely expunge the STATE-OF-ORIGIN clause" in everything we do; from 'applications', to civil service jobs,  to any form of registration".
Every Nigerian is a Nigerian ANYWHERE and you have constitutional guarantee to live, work and establish livelihood and property as anyone else, irrespective of how long they2've been there or where their parents came from.

When we do this, people will have confidence to settle anywhere, knowing that the law protects and defends them! It will also hasten development in the hinterlands. Force is not required, just "enforcement" of regulations is all we need! wink

BTW: Just wondering, HOW MUCH did Fashola spend, to win a Second Term in office?

Just goes to show that "if you perform reasonably,  Nigerians are ready to TRUST YOU with their  future, Instead of trying to rig elections!

I hope other Guv'nors take a cue from this! wink
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Calculia: 9:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dis Guy:

die for this God forsaken country is what his job needs! abi no be why him apply for the post be that? if he doesnt want to die for the  country he is leading he might as well quit and go compete for a job as governor of Bayelsa, Not like he helped the cause of the ND (kudos to him for the monthly stipend he paid militants to give him some breathing space)
instead of moving the Capital, why not just make sure the ministry/Commission created solely for the ND do their work, or re-jig the revenue formula

Dis is were Nigerian faulter. In other countries citizens would jump in front of the bullet so Mr President can live and push forward the agenda of his manifesto for the nation. In Nigeria, the job is do or die. If u ask me dat is not necessary. I mean to be President doesn't qualify as Messiah.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by DisGuy: 9:19pm On Jun 20, 2011
Calculia:

Dis is were Nigerian faulter. In other countries citizens would jump in front of the bullet so Mr President can live and push forward the agenda of his manifesto for the nation. In Nigeria, the job is do or die. If u ask me dat is not necessary. I mean to be President doesn't qualify as Messiah.

Nah Leaders over the world lead from the front, they take the lead in going green, take the lead in slashing their pay/benefits and reducing their backroom staff, take the lead when there is a system failure-they resign, so far Jonathan has been missing in action- he should lead from the front making effective use of the cowboy hat thats suitable for catching bombs either from MEND or Boko Harams- his name will be written in the Gloryland estate-otukpe!
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Calculia: 9:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dis Guy:

Jonathan has been missing in action- he should lead from the front making effective use of the cowboy hat thats suitable for catching bombs either from MEND or Boko Harams- his name will be written in the Gloryland estate-otukpe!

Chei! Dis Guy, u know well ooooooooooooo. lollz grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by odumchi: 12:22am On Jun 21, 2011
-Accidental Post-
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by odumchi: 12:33am On Jun 21, 2011
I will give you three reasons why Lagos is overpopulated and holds so much importance in Nigeria, after all it is the Centre of Excellence.

1. Lagos is on a key location. Lagos is nearby many other West African business cities such as Accre. Lome, and Cotonou. It is situated perfectly for business and is one of Nigerias few natural harbours.

2. Lagos is to the Western World than any other major city.  If you are sailing in the Atlantic from Europe or the Americas, the first major industrial mgacity you will come across is Lagos. It is closer to America and Europe than any other port. Apart from Lagos, the enxt major African city is Cape town in South Africa which is more than 2000 miles away.

3. Lagos was the original capital of Nigeria and far too much investment has been made in it so why bother re-organising?

This is among the reasons why the capital was moved from Lagos to Abuja. Lagos is too dangerous and unsecure. Imagine in a war, enemy ships would easily be able to shell Lagos to ashes from the comfort of the sea and destroy the Nigerian economy and goernemnt putting the nation in disorder.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by aljharem3: 12:37am On Jun 21, 2011
^^^^^^^^

calabar was also the capital before lagos

and after lagos we have abuja

so lagos has had a predecessor and a successor

so ur point number 3 makes no sense at all, the invest the fg put in lagos is like 1% of that put in abuja alone
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by odumchi: 12:51am On Jun 21, 2011
On Oct 1, 1960, what was the capital of the Federal Republic of Nigeria? Not the British Possession of Nigeria.

Why must you ALWAYS find fault in everything someone does even though you cannot produce anything better?
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by odumchi: 1:04am On Jun 21, 2011
@ Jason

I must support you on this one. A national railway network must be built. It would not cost much since Nigera is a small country in size. Nations like the USA have been able to create a cross continental railroad even though the USA is more than 5x larger than Nigeria. I'd suggest each region (N,W,E) should compete and construct a railroad that connects all of their major cities and finally to Abuja.

This would surely ease transportaion pressure but such a feat seems unreachable in Nigeria. We are still unable to create a perfect 4-lane road with proper safety measures not to talk of a national railway that requires round the clock maintenence and funding.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by ak47mann(m): 1:07am On Jun 21, 2011
odumchi:

@ Jason

I must support you on this one. A national railway network must be built. It would not cost much since Nigera is a small country in size. Nations like the USA have been able to create a cross continental railroad even though the USA is more than 5x larger than Nigeria. I'd suggest each region (N,W,E) should compete and construct a railroad that connects all of their major cities and finally to Abuja.

This would surely ease transportaion pressure but such a feat seems unreachable in Nigeria. We are still unable to create a perfect 4-lane road with proper safety measures not to talk of a national railway that requires round the clock maintenence and funding.

that's why i said some people really got some big A$$ dream grin
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by jason123: 1:14am On Jun 21, 2011
odumchi:

@ Jason

Thanks for the support.
All the major cities should be linked up not necessarily regions.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by manny4life(m): 2:24am On Jun 21, 2011
@ Jason,

I like your ideas but the idea about "high speed rail" is somewhat unrealistic for Nigeria in Particular. Due to high cost associated with high speed rails, they are only built to connect major cities with economic significance. IMO, a standard or above standard raail should suffice but built with the option to upgrade in future that way cost and burden is deferred.

Wallie:

lol, I agree with you but someone has to make the State governments see the benefits that a high speed rail could bring.

Based on a quick search, I found that the rail will cost about $1m -$1.3m per mile and about $300k per year for maintenance. From the above, it will cost about $50m-$75m to build the railroad to Abeokuta and about $15million a year for maintenance.

If the fare cost $1 for people without cargo and 100,000 people are transported in a day, that will equate to $100,000 in revenue per day. If a loan was obtained for $75 million dollars at 5% for 5 years, the revenue made in the first 15 days in a month can be used to pay back the loan.

First off, no offense but that study is actually wrong; a "high speed" rail not standard rail goes up to $100 million per mile. If you're talking standard rail of less that 80mph, then yeah there is probability, but if u're talking the Siemens type up to 25mph or more or Maglev which is higher in speed, trust me we're not talking $1million here. I read about Lagos PPP rail service, if I'm remember correctly, it cost them about $33million per mile, although I stated t ekt-bear that the number seems inflated, however check it out your self. High speed rail will cost at least $20million per mile and connecting Lagos to Ogun state like someone said about 55miles, we're talking at least $1.1billion dollars. Even if you float a $1billion loan for life of 25years, unless the market is there and ready to accept it, it would be a stretch.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Jun 21, 2011
Population pressure on Lagos? Where do you people get these things from?

We know that Lagos is not as developed as Abuja is yet you do not see people flocking to Abuja., which is equally as expensive as Lagos, if not more. Lagos, compared to other states, is not a poor state, so it makes sense that people, even those in surrounding states, will try to find employment/living in the state. That does not mean however that the state's population is really witnessing an explosion. The state's own website puts the number at 17 million, as of 2006, in a whole state, out of 150 million in the entire country, and remains reasonable considering this trend has been the observed for over two decades.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/lagosadv.asp?blurb=322

http://archive.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/uu26ue/uu26ue0i.htm

Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:02am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Population pressure on Lagos? Where do you people get these things from?

We know that Lagos is not as developed as Abuja is yet you do not see people flocking to Abuja., which is equally as expensive as Lagos, if not more. Lagos, compared to other states, is not a poor state, so it makes sense that people, even those in surrounding states, will try to find employment/living in the state. That does not mean however that the state's population is really witnessing an explosion. The state's own website puts the number at 17 million, as of 2006, in a whole state, out of 150 million in the entire country, and remains reasonable considering this trend has been the observed for over two decades.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null
I believe everyone flocks to Lagos because it might as well be the most detribalized state in NIgeria. You can find every facet of tribe and religion in that place. I guess, it's the comfort that it gives to people.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:11am On Jun 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I believe everyone flocks to Lagos because it might as well be the most detribalized state in NIgeria. You can find every facet of tribe and religion in that place.  I guess, it's the comfort that it gives to people.

I do think that to a larger extent, that is reason why more people move there and the trend, again, is not new. Since the very beginning, Lagos has attracted people from far and wide. I don't believe we can declare the state/or the city OVERPOPULATED as some are attempting to do here, without substantial evidence/data or even state presented data to back these claims up.

The city is still 14 behind the world's most populated and even those are not screaming POPULATION PRESSURE. If there is a density problem, I don't know, but all the government would need to do is distribute much of what is currently concentrated in the city area around the rest of the state. That would go a long way in reducing density in the city area, if that is even an issue.

[size=4pt]I need sleep![/size]
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:15am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I do think that to a larger extent, that is reason why more people move there and the trend, again, is not new. Since the very beginning, Lagos has attracted people from far and wide. I don't believe we can declare the state OVERPOPULATED as some are attempting to do, without substantial evidence/data or even state presented data to back these claims up.

[size=4pt]I need sleep![/size]

I wasn't addressing the population stats, but the possible reason why people locate to Lagos.

Why don't you think the state is overpopulated tho? People from older older generations have not left, they've simply had offsprings who've had offsprings and who will continue to have offsprings while more people keeps moving in.

It's like denying the fact that Miami is not currently "overpopulated", thanks to Hispanic immigration.

[size=4pt]Dont sleep lol[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reps To Host Super Eagles In Plenary Session / Secession: Biafra National ID Card In Circulation / Nigeria Will Be Worse Off If Osibanjo Takes Over.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.