Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos (6406 Views)

Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 / Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega / Pressure On Lawmakers To Impeach Gov. Okorocha. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Jun 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I wasn't addressing the population stats, but the possible reason why people locate to Lagos.

Why don't you think the state is overpopulated tho? People from older older generations have not left, they've simply had offsprings who've had offsprings and who will continue to have offsprings while more people keeps moving in.

It's like denying the fact that Miami is not currently "overpopulated", thanks to Hispanic immigration.

[size=4pt]Dont sleep  lol[/size]

Just because you SEE a lot of people in an area, does not then mean it is OK for you to conclude the area is OVERPOPULATED. It is that simple!

The same Lagos is building to attract investors, and tourists. Does an OVERPOPULATED state do that? The same state has yet to release numbers validating any claim of it's inability to handle the population growth -- rather it is promoting itself to MEGA-CITY status -- essentially saying COME PEOPLE COME ---.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:23am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Just because you SEE a lot of people in an area, does not then mean it is OK for you to conclude the area is OVERPOPULATED. It is that simple

Are you kidding me?

Are you trying to assume that Lagos is not possibly populated? Have we had any catastrophic incident that might have decrease Lagos' population? What do you expect when basically almost everyone locate to Lagos for opportunity?

Someone should post the # of voters from each state and compare it to Lagos'. I understand that Voting population is not the same thing as the population overall, it might not be a substantial evidence, but it can help make a favorable guesstimation.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:29am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The same Lagos is building to attract investors, and tourists. Does an OVERPOPULATED state do that? The same state has yet to release numbers validating any claim of it's inability to handle the population growth -- rather it is promoting itself to MEGA-CITY status -- essentially saying COME PEOPLE COME ---.

Exactly, to attract tourist and investors.

Not potential residents.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:29am On Jun 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Are you kidding me?

Are you trying to assume that Lagos is not possibly populated? Have we had any catastrophic incident that might have decrease Lagos' population? What do you expect when basically almost everyone locate to Lagos for opportunity?

I don't understand your logic at all. Are you assuming that because there has not been a drastic reduction in population, we should assume Lagos is overpopulated? Not everyone is located in Lagos or has relocated to Lagos. Last I checked, the country still has over 130 million people that are still not in Lagos.

Ileke-IdI:

Someone should post the # of voters from each state and compare it to Lagos'. I understand that Voting population is not the same thing as the population overall, it might not be a substantial evidence, but it can help make a favorable guesstimation.
Increase in number of voters has little to do with overpopulation. Population growth is an EXPECTED outcome when you are dealing with animals/humans. Lagos has been experiencing similar trends in growth since before it's very creation(history of the areas tells us this), and will continue to, even after surrounding towns and cities eventually catch up.

Shanghai is about the most populated city in the world today. It is NOT overpopulated, even with the high population density. The city continues to build and expand, and hopes to remain the most populous city for decades to come. Should we then conclude that because it is so densely populated, it is OVERPOPULATED?
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 3:37am On Jun 21, 2011
There is no such thing as being overpopulated, the word you guys should be looking for is sustainability.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't understand your logic at all. Are you assuming that because there has not been a drastic reduction in population, we should assume Lagos is overpopulated? Not everyone is located in Lagos or has relocated to Lagos.

No. That's not what I'm assuming. Reread my post.

Kobojunkie:

. Last I checked, the country still has over 130 million people that are still not in Lagos.

Hmm, seem like we're both assuming here, koboj.

Do those 130 million Nigerians need to be in Lagos for us to ponder on the possible overpopulation status of Lagos?

Again, increase in number of voters has little to do with overpopulated. Population growth is an EXPECTED PHENOMENON especially when you have an area more developed and open than other metropolitan areas, something Lagos has represented from way back when the State was first created.

Actually it does. To vote in a state, you must be an official resident of that  state with a consistent tax payment (correct me, if I'm wrong). A state with less population would not boast of a voting population a state with higher population would boast of.

Of course population growth is an expected phenomenon, that's not what we're discussing. We understand the factors et all. We're actually looking it how Lagos might possibly be over populated because of the way it's development has drawn so many crowd.

Shanghai is about the most populated city in the world today. It is NOT overpopulated, even with the high population density. The city continues to build and expand, and hopes to remain the most populous city for decades to come. Should we then conclude that because it is so densely populated, it is OVERPOPULATED?

Last time I checked, Shanghai is not Lagos.

And btw, Shanghai is considered overpopulated.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:39am On Jun 21, 2011
GAR3TH:

There is no such thing as over population, the word you guys should be looking for is sustainability.

Yea that. Isnt that what we're arguing?
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:47am On Jun 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No. That's not what I'm assuming. Reread my post.

Hmm, seem like we're both assuming here, koboj.

Do those 130 million Nigerians need to be in Lagos for us to ponder on the possible overpopulation status of Lagos?
I am not making any assumptions apart really. I simply saying that in a country of 150 million or there abouts, you cannot simply conclude that a state is OVERPOPULATED just because you observe that there are more people living within a certain area of the state. Lagos is a state with a population recorded last at approximately 17 million. Unless the state itself DECLARES it is OVERPOPULATED, you cannot DO THAT of your own.

Ileke-IdI:

Actually it does. To vote in a state, you must be an official resident of that  state with a consistent tax payment (correct me, if I'm wrong). A state with less population would not boast of a voting population a state with higher population would boast of.
Number of Voters is not DECIDING factor when it comes to whether a state is OVER POPULATED OR NOT.  It is possible to have a low population of non-voters to Voters ratio. You do not say that because a state has 2 million voters, then it means the state is OVER POPULATED. That is not how it works.

Ileke-IdI:

Of course population growth is an expected phenomenon, that's not what we're discussing. We understand the factors et all. We're actually looking it how Lagos might possibly be over populated because of the way it's development has drawn so many crowd.

For the umpteenth time, what you see happening to Lagos today, happened back 200 years ago, back to the times of the first Lagosians/Aworis etc(which ever came first).

When you have an area that is bustling with trade, there is that tendency that population trends like these will be observed for a long time to come. That is part reason why we have government, and local governments to help manage the influx, and use it to the BENEFIT of the town/state. Lagos has little other resources except for it's population to work with. And it can do great things with it, if it wanted to.

Ileke-IdI:

Last time I checked, Shanghai is not Lagos.

And btw, Shanghai is considered overpopulated.
Na wa oo . . . when did you decide Shanghai is overpopulated? The same Shanghai that has lifted it's one-child policy only recently, so that people can have more kids? Na wa ooo
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 21, 2011
KoboJunkie, I'll give you a chance to go and sleep, we can continue this in one hour. I needa sleep too.

In one hour then.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by dayokanu(m): 3:52am On Jun 21, 2011
Ileke idi

You are wanted here.

See your video online

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-695286.0.html
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 3:59am On Jun 21, 2011
dayokanu:

Ileke idi

You are wanted here.

See your video online

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-695286.0.html

Already did. There's a Miss Ekiti amongst those beautiful hairy women.

Off to a peaceful nap.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by dayokanu(m): 4:05am On Jun 21, 2011
Miss Ogun Sounds like you.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 4:08am On Jun 21, 2011
Are these women speaking English?

Ogun does not sound like me, you dey craze? Dayo, leave me and let me avoid koboj's post for now take my nap. Too tired.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by ektbear: 4:16am On Jun 21, 2011
dayokanu:

Miss Ogun Sounds like you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch=/v/sfeOY2xF27w&NR=1

Hrm, nice vid. Nigeria has some pretty good lookin women.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mtnaija(f): 4:21am On Jun 21, 2011
Hi all,
how can i post a topic? Am new here.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by odumchi: 4:36am On Jun 21, 2011
Since when did a few Miles of Rail cost $150M??

O boy you have to stop thinking like an American and think like an African, no wonder USA is in so much debt, 150M for a few lines of rail? cmon.
Nigeria doesn't need to import a single thing other than the actual train itself. Local iron from Enugu can be smelted and used to produce Steel for the rails, and maybe wood from nearby Cameroun can be imported at a cheap price. This project will defibately put millions back to work since men will be needed as haulers, carpenters, blacksmiths and laborers. Such a project should cost no more than N1Billion ($100M).
It would be a great boost to local economies as armies of cooks and peddlers would be required to feed the masses of laborers and will surely create permanent jobs.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by jason123: 4:42am On Jun 21, 2011
odumchi:

O boy you have to stop thinking like an American and think like an African, no wonder USA is in so much debt, 150M for a few lines of rail? cmon.
Nigeria doesn't need to import a single thing other than the actual train itself. Local iron from Enugu can be smelted and used to produce Steel for the rails, and maybe wood from nearby Cameroun can be imported at a cheap price. This project will defibately put millions back to work since men will be needed as haulers, carpenters, blacksmiths and laborers. Such a project should cost no more than N1Billion ($100M).
It would be a great boost to local economies as armies of cooks and peddlers would be required to feed the masses of laborers and will surely create permanent jobs.

Guy, you get sense!!!
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 5:09am On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am not making any assumptions apart really. I simply saying that in a country of 150 million or there abouts, you cannot simply conclude that a state is OVERPOPULATED just because you observe that there are more people living within a certain area of the state. Lagos is a state with a population recorded last at approximately 17 million. Unless the state itself DECLARES it is OVERPOPULATED, you cannot DO THAT of your own.
Number of Voters is not DECIDING factor when it comes to whether a state is OVER POPULATED OR NOT.  It is possible to have a low population of non-voters to Voters ratio. You do not say that because a state has 2 million voters, then it means the state is OVER POPULATED. That is not how it works.

For the umpteenth time, what you see happening to Lagos today, happened back 200 years ago, back to the times of the first Lagosians/Aworis etc(which ever came first).

When you have an area that is bustling with trade, there is that tendency that population trends like these will be observed for a long time to come. That is part reason why we have government, and local governments to help manage the influx, and use it to the BENEFIT of the town/state. Lagos has little other resources except for it's population to work with. And it can do great things with it, if it wanted to.
Na wa oo . . . when did you decide Shanghai is overpopulated? The same Shanghai that has lifted it's one-child policy only recently, so that people can have more kids? Na wa ooo

You're correct. Just checked my data, Lagos is not overpopulated.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:29am On Jun 21, 2011
Look, what I see people doing here, with these unsubstantiated claims of overpopulation/population pressure, is attempting to create a sort of excuse/rationale for why Government in Lagos should not be held responsible for the continued level of decay in the state, even after 12 years of supposed development.

This is a State has yet to officially complain of overpopulation -- I mean this is a state that boasts of the highest GDP in much of west Africa today, all thanks to the population. The same state continously flaunts it's MEGACITY projects -- projects geared towards making Lagos the largest in the world, right? Well, guess what, when you go for world status megacity, population increase follows. You can't have it in isolation.

So, if the state is not complaining, we need to stop with the fear-mongering and learn to deal with known facts.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 21, 2011
To reduce the population of Lagos

1. Increase Tenement rates and Consumer income taxes.
2. Destroy the swamps and build recreational Parks there.
3. Close the borders and regulation entry into the state.
4. Pass legislations stipulating birth to 3 kids per family.
5. Offer all dwellers of Lagos State for 10yrs a State Citizenship Passports.
6. Make it mandatory that all felons who are non-Lagosians are transferred to their State prisons once arrested and banned from entrying Lagos
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by cgift(m): 11:58am On Jun 21, 2011
LeoMax:

6. Make it mandatory that all felons who are non-Lagosians are transferred to their State prisons once arrested and banned from entrying Lagos

Very radical i must say
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by member479760: 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2011
just silly and not radical.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2011
LeoMax:

Seriously disturbing suggestions there. How many other mega cities, currently larger, population-wise, than Lagos, the city, and even the state, have attempted such nonsense? Does common sense fly out the door when Lagos is concerned?
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Gbenge77(m): 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2011
The population of lagos is just impossible.Its high time the government did something about it.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mariory(m): 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Look, what I see people doing here, with these unsubstantiated claims of overpopulation/population pressure, is attempting to create a sort of excuse/rationale for why Government in Lagos should not be held responsible for the continued level of decay in the state, even after 12 years of supposed development.

This is a State has yet to officially complain of overpopulation -- I mean this is a state that boasts of the highest GDP in much of west Africa today, all thanks to the population. The same state continously flaunts it's MEGACITY projects -- projects geared towards making Lagos the largest in the world, right? Well, guess what, when you go for world status megacity, population increase follows. You can't have it in isolation.

So, if the state is not complaining, we need to stop with the fear-mongering and learn to deal with known facts.

It appears you didn't read or understand the article behind this thread.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Look, what I see people doing here[/size], with these unsubstantiated claims of overpopulation/population pressure, is attempting to create a sort of excuse/rationale for why Government in Lagos should not be held responsible for the continued level of decay in the state, even after 12 years of supposed development. 

Mariory:

It appears you didn't read or understand the article behind this thread.

If you do not understand what is being discussed, it is OK to ask questions.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mariory(m): 5:14pm On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=16pt]Look, what I see people doing here, with these unsubstantiated claims of overpopulation/population pressure[/size], is attempting to create a sort of excuse/rationale for why Government in Lagos should not be held responsible for the continued level of decay in the state, even after 12 years of supposed development.

[size=16pt]This is a State has yet to officially complain of overpopulation[/size] -- I mean this is a state that boasts of the highest GDP in much of west Africa today, all thanks to the population. The same state continously flaunts it's MEGACITY projects -- projects geared towards making Lagos the largest in the world, right? Well, guess what, when you go for world status megacity, population increase follows. You can't have it in isolation.

[size=16pt]So, if the state is not complaining[/size], we need to stop with the fear-mongering and learn to deal with known facts.

Your own words. As the article clearly states that the increasing population of Lagos puts too much pressure on the infrastructure of Lagos then yes, one has to assume that you either didn't read the original article or you read it and didn't understand it.
------------------------------------
In order to reduce pressure on the state, it is important that governments across the country embrace good governance.

Lagos is renowned to be very accommodating and liberal; it is an open secret that a good percentage of the patients that use the health facilities in the state come from neighbouring states. Lagos, indeed, is one of the states where residency, ethnic and political divides are not considered for people to enjoy the dividends of democracy.

This is, however, coming at a price: the enormous population that troops into the State from all over the world has far- reaching consequences on infrastructures in the state.

The presence of people from diverse walks of life is partly responsible for the prosperity of Lagos. It is ironic, however, that the prosperity of Lagos has also brought a huge pressure on the state as its sheer human population puts serious pressure on infrastructure in the state.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/reducing-the-pressure-on-lagos/
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by manny4life(m): 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2011
odumchi:

I know that you were not asking me question, but yes few miles of rail depending on what type such as type of trac standard gauge or non standards, speed of trains, complexity, type of power (diesel or electric powered aka cantenary wired or third rail), et al, can cost up to that amount.

Really? Well I guess because of the way we think as African is a real reason why we haven't built structures that lost long like other countries do, always the "African way" never the real structured way. Your conventional train is not your high speed rail and since we're talking about transportation, it's like someone saying let's put the engines of a regional jet on a 737 knowing the thrust difference is clear. It's easier to assume numbers but until you count everything that goes into building a rail from it's implementation to track design and testing et. al, you will know exactly what the cost is.

I previously stated, Lagos is building a standard gauge conventional intercity rail and when I did my math from them, it was costing the govt about $33million per mile just for the blue line, though I highly think it was somewhat overstated, well go figure on that one , You can check it out yourself. You can also check out the rail in SA and see how much it cost them. High speed rail is NOT standard rail or monorail or PRT, they are expensive to build.

The U.S. is in much debt is simple; spending more than what you earn. It's simple math, or finance however you look at it. They are not in debt because of they spend more on a project that they should but solely spending more than they earn. On that note, $100 million is N10 billion naira not N1billion naira.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:29pm On Jun 21, 2011
So, if your contractor fails to complete your appartment complex on time, it is the tenants who you have leased to yet to be completed units to that are the problem?

Look, the population has always been there . . .  the trend the same . . . the only factor that has remained same all this time is slowness in government's ability to catch up with demand. With megacity dreams must also come mega-city abilities to provide for infrastructural needs, and at mega-city pace.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mariory(m): 7:26pm On Jun 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Look, the population has always been there . . .  the trend the same . . . the only factor that has remained same all this time is slowness in government's ability to catch up with demand. With megacity dreams must also come mega-city abilities to provide for infrastructural needs, and at mega-city pace.

Yes the population factor has always been there however, only now is Lagos using data that it has collected about the population to plan development for the State. And what's becoming clear is that there is no way the pace of development can match the pace at which the population is increasing.

The trend is not the same by the way. The population has always increased. However for decades, infrastructure development has stagnated. You must know this. Anyone over 20 years of age is aware of this. The Military dictatorships of the late 80's and the 90's screwed Lagos over big time in terms of infrastructure. There is a big gap between what Lagos State can accommodate and the population of Lagos.

Finally do you even know what a megacity is? Lagos is not dreaming of being a megacity. Lagos State is a megacity.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2011
I know you are a do-or-die defender of Fashola, the man, and so I don't think it is in your benefit to continue these shoddy attempts, by your person, to score one for your man by pretending to dispute that which you have obviously not taken time to understand.

a) After a Census, it is Not rocket science that data collected is used to plan development for states and nation as a whole. Data from the last census, data was utilized during the last voter registration process, the elections, and even when states allocate funds(even with all the corrupt, the data is considered at some level). Even the World bank takes advantage of the same population data. So, no, use of data in developmental planning is no novel idea.

b) Population trends have always existed independent of the levels of infrastructural development. The one is not dependent on the other. That the population trend has remained about as expected for a long time now, is no rationalization for continued decay in infrastructure, and it certainly is not reason enough for why the decay cannnot be tackled at speeds possible today, compared to decades ago.

c) A megacity is a city with an official population level at at least 10 (mega) million. According to Lagos State, the City itself is not at 10 million -- if you visit the Lagos state site, you would know that the official figure still being provided is the ~7million figure out there. 

Seriously, you need to learn to READ UP ON DISCUSSIONS before you jump in at the end thinking you are the brightest in the room for that. This is the umpteenth time I am having to tell you this.
Re: Reducing The Population Pressure On Lagos by Mariory(m): 1:59pm On Jun 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I know you are a do-or-die defender of Fashola, the man, and so I don't think it is in your benefit to continue these shoddy attempts, by your person, to score one for your man by pretending to dispute that which you have obviously not taken time to understand.

a) After a Census, it is Not rocket science that data collected is used to plan development for states and nation as a whole. Data from the last census, data was utilized during the last voter registration process, the elections, and even when states allocate funds(even with all the corrupt, the data is considered at some level). Even the World bank takes advantage of the same population data. So, no, use of data in developmental planning is no novel idea.

b) Population trends have always existed independent of the levels of infrastructural development. The one is not dependent on the other. That the population trend has remained about as expected for a long time now, is no rationalization for continued decay in infrastructure, and it certainly is not reason enough for why the decay cannnot be tackled at speeds possible today, compared to decades ago.

c) A megacity is a city with an official population level at at least 10 (mega) million. According to Lagos State, the City itself is not at 10 million -- if you visit the Lagos state site, you would know that the official figure still being provided is the ~7million figure out there. 

Seriously, you need to learn to READ UP ON DISCUSSIONS before you jump in at the end thinking you are the brightest in the room for that. This is the umpteenth time I am having to tell you this.

Actually you don't know. You don't have a clue.

a) Ok. Thanks for the well known info.

b) You still don't have a clue do you? Try to understand the following phrase. "Lagos State is still playing catch up due to decades of neglect by previous administrations. As a result the current infrastructure is far behind the current population."

c) Why do you do it? Why do you continue to make a fool of yourself? Were you not the one that posted the following. . .
Population pressure on Lagos? Where do you people get these things from?

We know that Lagos is not as developed as Abuja is yet you do not see people flocking to Abuja., which is equally as expensive as Lagos, if not more. Lagos, compared to other states, is not a poor state, so it makes sense that people, even those in surrounding states, will try to find employment/living in the state. That does not mean however that the state's population is really witnessing an explosion. The state's own website puts the number at 17 million, as of 2006, in a whole state, out of 150 million in the entire country, and remains reasonable considering this trend has been the observed for over two decades.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/lagosadv.asp?blurb=322

http://archive.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/uu26ue/uu26ue0i.htm

. . .Now you are trying to do an about turn and tell us the population is 7 million? In the same thread? That's seriously pathetic.

The irony is amazing!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra Kogi Oil Well Controversy: The Igalas Are Descendants Of The Igbos / When Tinubu Calls For Revolution - Page Deleted By Punch Newspaper / SERAP Writes Buhari, Seeks Presidential Panel To Probe Corruption In NDDC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.