Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! (51142 Views)

New UK Home Secretary Clamps Down On 'Out Of Control' Nigerian Immigration / Taxify Driver Accused By Dorcas Shola Fapson Responds! / I'm Not A Racist, It Was A Joke. British Airways Stewardess Responds(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by ensamy(m): 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2022
'ba turanchi ' more than half of Kano people will tell you this cool shocked shocked and Kano is more than 18million people, other Northern states ' ba turanchi' na here the wahala dey... Nigeria will never be excluded from non IELTS countries.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Goldbw122(m): 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2022
The price and the time duration is so unfair that is my own complain.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Topshow2010(m): 6:03pm On Jan 27, 2022
The truth is not just about our deficiency in English language but they are very much concern about the money they are making .
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by airsaylongcome: 6:06pm On Jan 27, 2022
greypencils:
It is not about acing the test. It is about the fee. Many people who wish to travel can't afford to pay such amount of money on a test when travelling is not guaranteed.

So should they lower the fee so that every Tom Dick and Harry can apply? Don't you see the fee as them providing some restrictions to 100m Nigerians applying?
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Ofadaman(m): 6:07pm On Jan 27, 2022
They won't because they make so much money from us
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Yoighaman(m): 6:08pm On Jan 27, 2022
Lukgaf:
Following the petition made to the UK Home office on the need to exclude Nigerians applying for study or job in the UK from taking IELTS exam. Below from "[url=https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs]Change[/url]" obtained from Hotspot International Scholarship Forum
is the response from the UK Home office.

What do you think Nairalanders?

https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

See previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/6957470/stop-asking-nigerians-write-ielts

Nice one, the job being done by the campaigners is highly commendable; we wish them more power to their elbows.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2022
Shokoloko:
I think the petition should be tweaked to prolong the validity of the certificate and not to ask that Nigerians stop writing the exam

If the council decides to use Nairaland as part of the study to decide if Nigeria meets the requirements to be taken off the list, we will not make it.
Exactly my point, even on Twitter, facebook... etc. Even the bad "Engrish" of the princes who have access to Abacha's loot. Lol

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Myexdisturbs: 6:11pm On Jan 27, 2022
sulaak:

[s]I live in the UK and have been to China, Singapore, UAE and will always choose the UK over those boring countries[/s]. ,
Local ogbomosho boy , keep quit. U wey never comot for Ibadan grin grin grin
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by peleson1: 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2022
Very dumb response..
What about the high cost of the exam compared to others like france?
What about the duration that is just 2years compared to France that does not expire?

UK response is dumb ...

They r exploitive...
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Temptee101(m): 6:17pm On Jan 27, 2022
CUMIN:
[s]Those that want it removed are those that had failed it several times.

The paradox is that if you are truly proficient in English, you should ace it in first trial[/s].

Stop saying what you have no knowledge about.

Have you written the exam before?
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2022
Saturn444:
That's for those who even fancy the idea of living in a country like Britain.

A country that once was, and now is no more.

But lives on past Glories and has been replaced by China, Singapore, UAE and some parts of United States.

You are correct, but these are not a good enough excuse not to live there, America also lives on past glories, Yet both countries are still better to live in. Compared to China, Singapore, and UAE. Believe it or not. I know!
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by loswhite(m): 6:26pm On Jan 27, 2022
CUMIN:
Those that want it removed are those that had failed it several times.

The paradox is that if you are truly proficient in English, you should ace it in first trial.
A British citizen will fail the exams self. They just use those stupid exams to milk Developing countries.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by biggy26: 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2022
donforeign:
i prefer australia to uk
I once thought like you until I discovered Australia is a big prison.

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by loswhite(m): 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2022
wiseoneking:
Kip kwayet. Britain was the strongest empire that ever existed in modern world. They once control your small mighty China and impacted heavily on modern states of Asia including India, Singapore, Malaysia etc.
They once!!!!...lol. go and read again oga
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 27, 2022
CUMIN:

The paradox is that if you are truly proficient in English, you should ace it in first trial.
Correct,they shouldn't have problems passing the exams.

But the UK would not include nigeria as an English speaking country because of the fees they accumulate from folks who seek to apply for visas. Despite been the colony of nigeria. It's all about the ££££
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by donforeign: 6:29pm On Jan 27, 2022
biggy26:

I once thought like you until I discovered Australia is a big prison.

How do you mean bro?
Explain Becos I dey plan to move either to Australia or uk or canada but my mind they australia.. help a brother
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2022
loswhite:
A British citizen will fail the exams self. They just use those stupid exams to milk Developing countries.
Absolutely! alot of white/black british will fail the exams, I know. It's all about the ££££s

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Sheggy13(m): 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2022
wiseoneking:
Kip kwayet. Britain was the strongest empire that ever existed in modern world. They once control your small mighty China and impacted heavily on modern states of Asia including India, Singapore, Malaysia etc.
You told him to keep quiet but ended up reiterating and proving his point that Britain is living on past glories.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
loswhite:
They once!!!!...lol. go and read again oga
Yes! They did once.... not anymore, Russia, China, and the Arabs owns half of the UK now. If not all of the UK.

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by IJEYdiamond(f): 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
I am not against them and this their exams but they should leave it for students

Now they want more medical team to work in their country.... they have added heath assistant...

Why should the test of English be inclusive in visa application for work... i dont understand..

Na wa ooo... !!

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by SeriouslySense(m): 6:33pm On Jan 27, 2022
I agree,and at least, you understand and not lost in the discussion.
Mowoe:

Nigeria ranks top 5 of the highest scorers in the test in the world; this information is available on Wikipedia, so I beg to disagree. I think the major problems are the cost of taking the test, and the validity period.

They actually think we lose our English proficiency after two years of taking the test?! It's just a crazy money making scheme in my opinion.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 27, 2022
Sheggy13:

You told him to keep quiet but ended up reiterating and proving his point that Britain is living on past glories.
Yes! he sure contradicted himself bigly. cheesy
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by tuboi: 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2022
CUMIN:

Idiots like you are the problem we have in this country. The issue on ground is not passing or failing the exam but spending a lot of money to write the exam and the result becomes useless after two years..Is it that ppl who pass the exam without using the result suddenly become non English proficient after been certified just two years prior…

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Lexusgs430: 6:39pm On Jan 27, 2022
When below, is now bellow....... That fee is a must...... grin
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2022
IJEYdiamond:
I am not against them and this their exams but they should leave it for students

Now they want more medical team to work in their country.... they have added heath assistant...

Why should the test of English be inclusive in visa application for work... i dont understand..

Na wa ooo... !!
Because some healthcare migrant workers from some countries has over the hears made a wholy pa mistakes with patients diagnosis and medications which resulted in mortalities.

One doctor and a nurse from Malaysia couldn't read they put a DNR on a minor illness patient he died because of the DNR placed on his bed side mistakenly. There are a whole lota other fatal cases of mistakes made by non English speakng nurses and doctors in the NHS due to lack of understanding of English language.

* DNR Do Not Resucitate.

Alot of British born healthcare workers are also required to read and pass atleast level 2 English and Maths or they cannot qualify as a nurse, I know.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by tuboi: 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2022
ensamy:
'ba turanchi ' more than half of Kano people will tell you this cool shocked shocked and Kano is more than 18million people, other Northern states ' ba turanchi' na here the wahala dey... Nigeria will never be excluded from non IELTS countries.

If they won’t exclude Nigerian then the result should be valid for life and not two years
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by BJanta: 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2022
Lukgaf:
Following the petition made to the UK Home office on the need to exclude Nigerians applying for study or job in the UK from taking IELTS exam. Below from "[url=https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs]Change[/url]" obtained from Hotspot International Scholarship Forum
is the response from the UK Home office.

What do you think Nairalanders?

https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

See previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/6957470/stop-asking-nigerians-write-ielts

You people are doing a wonderful job. May the good LORD help you through in JESUS'S Name.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Zif0: 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2022
Really
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 27, 2022
tuboi:

Idiots like you are the problem we have in this country. The issue on ground is not passing or failing the exam but spending a lot of money to write the exam and the result becomes useless after two years..Is it that ppl who pass the exam without using the result suddenly become non English proficient after been certified just two years prior…
You are correct, but you can go for a Level 1 or level 2 English that is for life, though that those ones cost a bit more money. The options are ussually there to chose.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by SeriouslySense(m): 6:47pm On Jan 27, 2022
The certificate should remain valid for life, accessible, and cheaper.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 27, 2022
Mowoe:

Nigeria ranks top 5 of the highest scorers in the test in the world; this information is available on Wikipedia, so I beg to disagree. I think the major problems are the cost of taking the test, and the validity period.

They actually think we lose our English proficiency after two years of taking the test?! It's just a crazy money making scheme in my opinion.
That is just the fact, it is all about the money.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by oluwaahmed: 6:49pm On Jan 27, 2022
You guys need to understand that Nigeria will forever remain on the ielts countries not because they don't know that we speak and write good English but because its a major source of foreign exchange for them. Nigeria and India is their main mkt, they can never lose it. Know this and channel energy to more productive purpose.

Hilarious Warning Sign At A Zoo In Abeokuta (photo) / Car Falls Into River, Lady Survives, Many Dead (Graphic Photos) / Update On Lagos-ibadan Rail Line Project.