Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! (51136 Views)

New UK Home Secretary Clamps Down On 'Out Of Control' Nigerian Immigration / Taxify Driver Accused By Dorcas Shola Fapson Responds! / I'm Not A Racist, It Was A Joke. British Airways Stewardess Responds(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 27, 2022
gypsey:
What makes you think I relocated to other people's land?. grin what an ignorant assumptions. You have never even forking met me before and you are mentioning my father and his compound. Your stupidity is epic.

Have you built your father's compound? Idiat!

Yes, I have beautifully built my multigenerational legacy and I have no business going to another man's land. Your poor wretched fathers did not drum into your heads that you were born in your village for a reason, and you must advance your intelligence to develop that which you were born with.

You mor0ns now know more about Britain and Americas than you know of the next village after your mother's. You are not an idi0t, you are a father of future idi0ts. Cos you are not ready to accept the ugly truth and prepare to educate your generations.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2022
Saturn444:

Yes, I have beautifully built my multigenerational legacy and I have no business going to another man's land. Your poor wretched fathers did not drum into your heads that you were born in your village for a reason, and you must advance your intelligence to develop that which you were born with.

You mor0ns now know more about Britain and Americas than you know of the next village after your mother's. You are not an idi0t, you are a father of future idi0ts. Cos you are not ready to accept the ugly truth and prepare to educate your generations.
Thank you! anything else reasonable you would like to add?

I shake my head for some of you people on here, thank goodness it's a facelesss forum i woulda found some of yous and fork yous in the anus with a 6 inch screwdriver and show you what an autistic bipolar patient like me is capable of. cheesy
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by authority2006(m): 10:56pm On Jan 27, 2022
CUMIN:
Those that want it removed are those that had failed it several times.

The paradox is that if you are truly proficient in English, you should ace it in first trial.

And you knew this just because they're championing the cause? Dumb, very dumb assumption
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by authority2006(m): 11:03pm On Jan 27, 2022
rollywise:
Kudos to those who brought this up. The problem here are the three major languages we have in this country. They prioritize their language so high in the name of English is not our mother tongue. Yoruba is even worse. Kids graduating from primary to secondary school can't speak English yet they carry canopy and throw a party for graduation party. Followed by Hausa. Those ones will teach both maths and English in Hausa. Who dey do us I nor know

Yoruba is worse, followed by Hausa? Are you sure you know what you are saying? Like you're not confused?
Secondly, what do you think students in SS and SE speak exactly? English language? No, not at all. They speak pigin English which is as bad as speaking native languages

1 Like

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by calcal: 12:27am On Jan 28, 2022
Just wondering, the one we study from primary to SSS is not enough.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Cousin9999: 12:41am On Jan 28, 2022
Mowoe:

I think the major problems are the cost of taking the test, and the validity period.

^^^
All these required immigration assessments should have regional pricing, and be valid for 5 years or permanently depending on the nature of it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by AquilaTraining: 1:14am On Jan 28, 2022
panpan:
The United Kingdom should allow the educational institutions or employers to determine the English language requirements.

The validity of two years for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is too short. A validity of ten years or even indefinitely would be more appropriate.

Besides, in practice, this IELTS requirement seems to be applicable to African countries.
Are citizens of the European Union, for example, subjected to these IELTS requirements, before they can work or study in the United Kingdom?

The real issue is the cost and validity of the IELTS certificate, not exemption from writing the exam. The French equivalent exam, DELF is just about N16,000 and it is valid for life. That is what the campaigners should have focused on, instead of avoiding a proficiency examination altogether.

Based on the criteria mentioned in the response, Nigeria will not make the list of exempted countries anytime soon. English is not our first language, and the percentage of Nigerians that speak correct English Language is far less than 50% across the entire country. What percentage of Northerners actually speak English at all, considering the high level of illiteracy there? How many of our recent graduates can compose correct sentences in English or can write proficiently at the level required to publish in international journals during their postgraduate studies?

Moreover, most UK universities accept WAEC as a proof of English. It is Canada that insist on English language exam for immigration, and other English-speaking countries are also not exempted.

Let us hope that the petitioners will actually focus on fighting for a more realistic demand next time for the benefit of the vast majority of serious applicants.

2 Likes

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by sharone21(f): 3:13am On Jan 28, 2022
lexy2014:

The reason for your comment might be that you might not understand what exploitative means cos I don't see what the nigerian economy or exchange got to do with exploitation. Exploitative means "making use of a situation or treating others unfairly in order to gain an advantage, benefit or profit". The screenshot below will help put things in context

I pray the price will be this suitable for Nigerians no matter wherever they are...It is higher in some countries.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by wiseoneking: 3:32am On Jan 28, 2022
Hndrrxxx:
shut your damn mouth 'fore you dropped, nigga
Next time you used such a gutter language on me, I will make sure you got a good long ban from Nairaland.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Gabkosh: 4:06am On Jan 28, 2022
CUMIN:

The paradox is that if you are truly proficient in English, you should ace it in first trial.
You sound dull.

Which of your own language do they write text on before entering your country.

This your slave mentality is legendary.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Gabkosh: 4:08am On Jan 28, 2022
lexy2014:

I think your comment is quite myopic and insensitive. Those agitating for it's removal aren't doing because they aren't as proficient as u are in English but simply because the IELTS is exploitative and is pure extortion
Don't mind that guy. He's just an illiterate.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Enyimbamercedes: 4:26am On Jan 28, 2022
In summary, we are not an English majority speaking country. Using outdated data, perhaps it shows that majority of the population is an illiterate north where they call "ice cream" asikirim, a tongue tied east that will say pallareroglam, and an ewedu oil mouth west that will say world shat chow instead of world chart show.

This is not english and therefore out proficiency must be tested
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 28, 2022
gypsey:
Thank you! anything else reasonable you would like to add?

I shake my head for some of you people on here, thank goodness it's a facelesss forum i woulda found some of yous and fork yous in the anus with a 6 inch screwdriver and show you what an autistic bipolar patient like me is capable of. cheesy

And you think you are talking to a saner liliputian in a dorm. The sight of me scares even my own demons. grin
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by BennyDGreat: 7:06am On Jan 28, 2022
Raph82:
Exactly wetin I wan talk. The brain na bank account wey dem wipe?

Lol u dey mind them?
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by CUMIN: 7:43am On Jan 28, 2022
Gabkosh:
You sound dull.

Which of your own language do they write text on before entering your country.

This your slave mentality is legendary.

We sold ourselves short. If we want it. They'll have to learn it.

If you want to go to Germany. You will be forced to go to Goethe institute to learn German.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by lebete3000: 7:45am On Jan 28, 2022
Lukgaf:
Following the petition made to the UK Home office on the need to exclude Nigerians applying for study or job in the UK from taking IELTS exam. Below from "[url=https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs]Change[/url]" obtained from Hotspot International Scholarship Forum
is the response from the UK Home office.

What do you think Nairalanders?

https://www.change.org/p/dear-uk-home-office-stop-asking-nigerians-to-write-english-proficiency-tests-reformieltspolicy-now/u/30124265?cs_tk=AqZttzY2QXgREhp1-2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJyaybTj8nBYFsnxRgZTHvc%3D&utm_campaign=f3bbd9489e314f1e915bd10064126c4f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

See previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/6957470/stop-asking-nigerians-write-ielts

I'm sure those that complained wouldn't even understand the English used here cheesy
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Kaysalas(m): 8:46am On Jan 28, 2022
CUMIN:

Like someone rightly said; they should Increase the validity to 3 or 4 years
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by rollywise(m): 10:04am On Jan 28, 2022
authority2006:

Yoruba is worse, followed by Hausa? Are you sure you know what you are saying? Like you're not confused?
Secondly, what do you think students in SS and SE speak exactly? English language? No, not at all. They speak pigin English which is as bad as speaking native languages

Confusion is written over you if not you'll not try to justify rubbish with another rubbish. Does your unwarranted explanations change the fact that these things are happening and they contribute heavily to the statistics that makes us unqualified as an English speaking nation

1 Like

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 28, 2022
Saturn444:

And you think you are talking to a saner liliputian in a dorm. The sight of me scares even my own demons. grin
Yea! All from behind your cheap mobile device under your mother's bed in her small african hut.

What exactly is your beef with me? That I wasn't born in afrika? Well..I apologise for that. As you have claimed, you live in a gigantic house. You are clearly doing better than i am. I have failed to develop my father's compound arcoding to you, and you are more dangerous and crazier than i can ever dream of , even demons acording to you are afraid of you. So again I ask what exactly do you want from me? Why did you pick me? Is this some kinda sad obsession? You have never even met me! Do you need some kinda psychiatric help? Does it make you feel like big and happier making derogatory remarks about people you don't know on social media?

You have called me father of future idiots, a morron all sorts. for someone you have never met. cheesy you need to go see a psychiatric.

I hope you find peace.

1 Like

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 28, 2022
gypsey:
Yea! All from behind your cheap mobile device under your mother's bed in her small african hut.

What exactly is your beef with me? That I wasn't born in afrika? Well..I apologise for that. As you have claimed, you live in a gigantic house. You are clearly doing better than i am. I have failed to develop my father's compound arcoding to you, and you are more dangerous and crazier than i can ever dream of , even demons acording to you are afraid of you. So again I ask what exactly do you want from me? Why did you pick me? Is this some kinda sad obsession? You have never even met me! Do you need some kinda psychiatric help? Does it make you feel like big and happier making derogatory remarks about people you don't know on social media?

You have called me father of future idiots, a morron all sorts. for someone you have never met. cheesy you need to go see a psychiatric.

I hope you find peace.

I love how this is going. These Lilliputians are now bowing before me.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 28, 2022
Saturn444:

I love how this is going. These Lilliputians are now bowing before me.
Yes, i am bowing before you! cheesy and there are no "these" Liliputians, it's just only me.. what do you want? You want to fork me in ass? Co's it cannot be anything else, you are clearly obsessed with me. Even though you cannot see me.. insanity.

I have bowed down for you.. now, What da fork do you want?!! It's simply reasonable question! what do you want from me?
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:36pm On Jan 28, 2022
wiseoneking:
Next time you used such a gutter language on me, I will make sure you got a good long ban from Nairaland.
oh you tryna diss Hndrrxxx that will prolly get you killed??
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by CUMIN: 7:06am On Jan 29, 2022
Kaysalas:

Like someone rightly said; they should Increase the validity to 3 or 4 years

That's ok. Thy can even seek that waec should be admissible as a means of proficiency
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Kaysalas(m): 8:57pm On Jan 29, 2022
CUMIN:

That's ok. Thy can even seek that waec should be admissible as a means of proficiency
We ain't saying the same thing bro! Peace
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by biggy26: 4:38pm On Jan 30, 2022
donforeign:

they closed their boarder before due to covid 19 and all that but it is fully opened now. my girlfriend was given admission too in 2021 but couldn't go due to lockdown and she finally went immediately they opened the boarder on the 22 december 2021, the visa was to expire march 2022. for now the boarder is opened. my girlfriend brother is also there and he has been there for abt 5 yrs, he said the place is good because there is work and he is doing so well, won't lie. the major thing is getting d visa which is hard, my girlfriend entered via student visa but it was expensive sha. she said she wants to invite me over but i know it will take time and i don't tink it will work and that is why i am also considering the student visa. mheen e no easy sha, 9ja tire me.
Yeah, even before Covid, it’s tough at the point of entry. Australia is generally more expensive than US and Canada in anything schooling or migration, but in terms of work, there’s work.
If you like to be there, give it a shot. But a less expensive route is Canada cos you have more options in terms of schooling. If you have someone to get married to, it’s a sure bet.
Naija tire everybody.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by donforeign: 6:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
biggy26:

Yeah, even before Covid, it’s tough at the point of entry. Australia is generally more expensive than US and Canada in anything schooling or migration, but in terms of work, there’s work.
If you like to be there, give it a shot. But a less expensive route is Canada cos you have more options in terms of schooling. If you have someone to get married to, it’s a sure bet.
Naija tire everybody.

Thanks for taking time to reply.
I have someone to marry and the person is in Australia, that is my girlfriend.. I don't want to go to Canada and marry oibo o lol . I met with the agent that did hers and she said 6.5 mil(plus or minus) for the student visa for Australia..what do you think

1 Like

Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Legalservices: 3:03am On Jan 31, 2022
lexy2014:

The response ended up saying nothing

The referenced academic sources as one of the sources in listing Nigeria as a majority English speaking country.

I wish to inform the UK home office that Since 1960 all our academic institutions teach and issue certificates in only English language. From the NDU on wilberforce island to the Univeristy of Maiduguri
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by biggy26: 1:42pm On Jan 31, 2022
donforeign:

Thanks for taking time to reply.
I have someone to marry and the person is in Australia, that is my girlfriend.. I don't want to go to Canada and marry oibo o lol . I met with the agent that did hers and she said 6.5 mil(plus or minus) for the student visa for Australia..what do you think
You’re welcome!
6.5mil is a lot of money, but that’s the fault of the naira.
There are many kinds of schools that are more affordable in Australia, except the agent already has a relationship with some schools. One of my guy’s went through Aptech, that was then, but that’s just an example.
Is your girlfriend a permanent resident? If she is, you may stand a better chance of being granted a visa if she applies for you. If it were US, in about a couple of months you would have been there.
But I think you should do more research and never be in a hurry so you don’t burn your fingers.
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Homeyfav: 5:10pm On Feb 02, 2022
UK Home Office Insists on Nigerians Taking English Proficiency Tests

https://www.productdelight.com/uk-home-office-insists-nigerians-taking-english-proficiency-tests/
Re: UK Home Office Responds To IELTS Removal Petition, See! by Valentinothomas: 7:54am On Oct 06, 2022
A small home office is a great way to create a productive space without sacrificing too much space. A tiny workspace can be as simple as a small desk and floor-to-ceiling bookshelf. Get more interesting details about home office check out this site.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hilarious Warning Sign At A Zoo In Abeokuta (photo) / Car Falls Into River, Lady Survives, Many Dead (Graphic Photos) / Update On Lagos-ibadan Rail Line Project.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.