Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone (27850 Views)

Poverty Rate In Nigeria By Geo-political Zone, According To NBS Report / Number Of Poor People In Nigeria By Geo Political Zone And State :(Pix) / Which Geo-political Zone In Nigeria Is Capable Of Becoming A Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by t2luv1: 4:40pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
so? When you're counting the years south spent in power will you count Osinbajo's 8 years as VP?
Both North and South have either been president or VP. Even when Shagari was elected in the 80s his VP was Ekwueme from South East.

You parsing words jeez!!! Lumping South East, South-South with the South appears like you are dealing the cards underhanded. Different ethnicities.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 4:41pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Do you have evidence for this claim?
here it is, this is not encyclopedia, but britannica, I know you know the difference.. Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 4:42pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

You parsing words jeez!!! Lumping South East, South-South with the South appears like you are dealing the cards underhanded. Different ethnicities.
are you not lumping North central, North East and North West together?
When it comes to presidency, it is North and South not the 6 geopolitical regions

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:42pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
NPC did not come third and it did not get the highest number of votes. Both claims are false.
Can you substantiate your claims by giving a breakdown of the seats won?

See below

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:44pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
here it is, this is not encyclopedia, but britannica, I know you know the difference.. Cheers.
That is not a credible source just like Wikipedia. Let us not argue just think about it. It says "MADE PRME MINISTER" what does that mean? Who made him Prime Minister? How? On what date exactly in 1957 and by what process.

A more credible source would be a Newspaper cutting or photo.

For me it is fake news
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 4:44pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

if it's ethnicity, do you have any idea how many ethnic groups are in the north?
You really believe you know better than our career politicians?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Emma15678: 4:45pm On Jan 31, 2022
IGBOSON1:
So how come Zik and Balewa, that served at the same time, are listed together? Or is this just an attempt to add more Igbo names to the list?
They occupied different posts.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by ArewaNorth: 4:45pm On Jan 31, 2022
Kingpele:
Well to think that the North still retain the poverty capital of the country with few billionaires who worked in or for government even after many years in power is rather too unfortunate, this same greedy northern is still trying to cheat the South in 2023 ,who would have believed that the north that was too impatient with Jonathan to finish his constitutional requirement of serving two terms because it was their turn to the produce number one citizens, will come here to preach president can come everywhere and PDP have already threw the challenge open to both North and South,I suspect that APC is waiting to see how the South will react before doing same ,could they have done that if it were the turn of the North?,will North allow South to follow them drag thier turn? Never ...this is to show you that oil in the south is what thier heart and mind is after not in development or justice, the south should demand for presidency without any compromise, it is our turn ,Atiku and co should go and rest.. from the south, the East is most qualified to produce a president after decades of absence from the highest office in the land
This is unnecessary ranting out of ignorance. Where is it written in constitution that GEJ had the mandate to finish his constitutional 2 terms?

Democracy isn't for primitive people like u who think power should be given to them on the basis of threats, blackmail, intimidation and agitations. Power is given to those who seek for it in the best manner.
Where is the southern unity when you are publicly challenging the candidacy of Tinubu?
This will be a very good chance for North to remain in power come 2023.

HISTORY OF NIGERIA'S LEADERSHIP DISTRIBUTION BASED ON ETHNO-RELIGIOUS AND REGIONAL BACKGROUND
Below is the data that calculated the years Nigerians are ruled under religious, ethnic and geographical location considerations. 60 years since independence, Nigeria was ruled by:
11years Obasanjo- Yoruba
9 years Yakubu Gowon-Angas
8 years IBB-Nupe
6 years GEJ-Ijawa
6yrs Nnamdi Azikwe-Igbo
5 years Abacha-Kanuri
7 years Buhari (+2yrs military regime)- Fulani
3 years Shagari-Fulani
2yrs Yaradua-Tuareg
6 months Agunyi-Ironsi-Igbo
2years Murtala, Shonekan & Abdussalam-Fulani, Yoruba & Hausa.
If calculated along religious line, it can be seen that Nigeria was ruled under Christians Presidents for atleast 32years while Muslims Presidents ruled for 28 years.
When calculated along geographical location, it can be seen that South ruled for almost 24yrs while North rule for almost 36yrs.
Yoruba ruled for approximately 12years, Fulani ruled for less than 11yrs, Angas ruled for 9yrs, Igbos ruled for 6yrs, Ijaw had 6yrs, Kanuri had 5yrs, Nupe had 8yrs, Tuareg had 2yrs while Hausa had 1year only.
North-Western presided Nigeria for about 17yrs, South-West presided for about 12yrs, North-Central enjoyed approximately 18yrs, South-South presided for 6yrs, South-East had 6yrs while North-East are still struggling to get to the apex position and still not agitating for it.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by sukkot: 4:47pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

So Azikiwe was a super human for his only opinion to override three people's opinion ( Awolowo, Azikiwe and others) ?

What happened to subjecting such opinion to vote ?

Mind you, some Igbos today still believe in Nigeria but when you put such opinions to vote, majority will obviously carry the vote..
listen man lets just face the fact here, igbos came out of the gates swinging and kicking much ass, after independence. yall cornered the market. just came out like a bolt of lightening burning everything in the way. but then you got greedy, and in your greed you lost focus and didnt see the bigger picture. you consolidated power so you can have the ultimate power and removed secession clause so no one can come out of your power structure. but you see ? you didnt see the bigger picture. NO MAN HOLDS ONTO POWER FOREVER. and the bigger picture is when you lose that power ? we are all doomed to hausa rule forever because it is a majority hausa country and it is one man one vote. and so you shot yourself in the foot because when you lost that power ? its hard for an igbo president to emerge again because you dont have the population to see it through. and so we are all doomed to hausa rule. AND SO YOU PLAYED THE GAME, YOU KICKED MUCH ASS, YOU CAME, SAW, CONQUERED BUT EVENTUALLY GOT CONQUERED. Its a huge mistake you are going to have to live with. the rest of us are living with the mistake. what can we do ? i believe its time you people settle down and learn to live with your mistake and stop this agitation. grin

3 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by dalongjnr: 4:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
This is the most confusing thread I have ever seen on Nairaland. During the military regime, power is taken by coup and counter coups. If there's a failure, the reward is dead. Unless, it's a palace coup. Northern military men are the most bravest and risked their lives to be in power during the military era.
During the civilian rule, democracy favoured southern Nigeria,with the southerners having served 4 more years than the north with elections normally won by rigging and vote buying and using mechanization t rigged the system, mostly in 2003 and 2007 elections which favoured the north.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by t2luv1: 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
are you not lumping North central, North East and North West together?
When it comes to presidency, it is North and South not the 6 geopolitical regions

Ok since you want to go there. Now let's drill down since we are now using North and South. I keep telling you people from the North got it good.

1. Head of Police force - North
2. Head of Army - North
3. Navy - North
4, Air Force - North
5. Supreme Court - North
6, NNPC Board - North
7 Custom North

I guess only the North has a monopoly on competent people

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

See below
Did you read what you posted?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 4:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
Nobody marginalised anyone. Prior to 1999 anybody could take power. Power was taken not given, nobody told our generals not to be bold enough to risk their lives to seize power. Since we started choosing president through votes, how many years have Northerners ruled compared to the South?

Even if you wish to deploy this highly suspicious and questionable argument, the 1st and 2nd Republics were prior to 199. You would still have to add Shagari to the count of the North, being a civilian democratically elected President. And there is also no reason you should not count Tafawa Balewa - he was an executive Head of the Federal Government. Thats at least an extra 10 years in favour of the North.

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 4:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
dalongjnr:
This is the most confusing thread I have ever seen on Nairaland. During the military regime, power is taken by coup and counter coups. If there's a failure, the reward is dead. Unless, it's a palace coup. Northern military men are the most bravest and risked their lives to be in power during the military era.
During the civilian rule, democracy favoured southern Nigeria,with the southerners having served 4 more years than the north with elections normally won by rigging and vote buying and using mechanization t rigged the system, mostly in 2003 and 2007 elections which favoured the north.

What about Balewa and Shagari, were those Military governments?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by t2luv1: 4:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
if it's ethnicity, do you have any idea how many ethnic groups are in the north?
You really believe you know better than our career politicians?

From where I am sitting YOU ARE ALL NORTHERNERS. SO LONG YOU ALL SPEAK THE SAME HAUSA. Got it!!!!

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Did you read what you posted?

NPC came 3rd with number of votes, but had double the seats of 1st and 3nd parties.
Is that not an anomaly?
How do you explain that

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by heysquare(m): 4:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
With the above it shows that the next President would come from South West because it has been rotating in that manner. West has been relinquish power to West! If you know you know! When would this power swing back to the EAST ? Na wa o! It seems the EAST mistakenly laughed first!
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by jrusky(m): 4:59pm On Jan 31, 2022
kettykin:
Instead of any section of the country to be denied justice, let the country burn into pieces. Denying any part of the country justice, equity and fair play is on its own a void of the constitution and should be treated as such.

Pls stop talking about burning down anything. Bro let me explain something to you if your IQ could be able to grab the message.

No region is being denied to rule.

"Any region willing to rule will first play free and fair game, open her region for tribal diversity and inclusion, believes in Ngeria dream, play national politics and be devoid of any senseless hatred"

Now the question to you is in all I mentioned can you point to a single one your or our region(SE) is not guilty of, just mention one biko?

Do you expect Buhari to be so foolish with what Kanu and his son of butch followers had done to this country and SE to now say oh Igboman come and take over from me Pls I put it to you if you are in buhari shoe and a fulani or hausa people are behaving the way Kanu, his followers and greater number of igbo body languages are will you promote or ever want anyone from Fuani to succeed you? Pls be honest.

Right from independence SE has always be on opposite anything Nigeria as a country go back to history pls. Pls let's call a spade a spade. They and not me said they are not Nigeria then why seeking for presidency? They and not me said Nigeria is zoo and same people crying for presidency failed to caution them but now want to become the zoo president. Pls let's face the fact biko.

Pls drop that your threaten you can not be threatening people and still want them to vote for you it's not done. If you want to burn your house go ahead but you see this country will not burn even if break up will occur everybody will go in peace nothing is going burn.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 5:04pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

Ok since you want to go there. Now let's drill down since we are now using North and South. I keep telling you people from the North got it good.

1. Head of Police force - North
2. Head of Army - North
3. Navy - North
4, Air Force - North
5. Supreme Court - North
6, NNPC Board - North
7 Custom North

I guess only the North has a monopoly on competent people

when were you born?
2015?
First of all, I'm from Edo state. You people should go and educate yourselves and stop all these nonsense. This is the reason southern politicians treat us as fools, because of people like you who know nothing. Buhari is president, he has every right to appoint anybody he likes to those positions. When a Southerner becomes president he will definitely replace them with Southerners. Go and check who were in those positions under obasanjo and Jonathan
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by obinoral1179(m): 5:04pm On Jan 31, 2022
DMerciful:
PDP zoning their ticket to SE will not give SE the presidency. So what's the point if APC will not equally do same?
APC are not obligated to do so because the party are not well received in the zone so PDP are the best party to give them a shot at the president
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 5:05pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

From where I am sitting YOU ARE ALL NORTHERNERS. SO LONG YOU ALL SPEAK THE SAME HAUSA. Got it!!!!

it doesn't matter what you see from where you are sitting. The almajiris from the North saw Jonathan as Igbo, did that make him Igbo? Go and educate yourself about your own country and stop disgracing yourself
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ezeama400: 5:06pm On Jan 31, 2022
sukkot:
listen man lets just face the fact here, igbos came out of the gates swinging and kicking much ass, after independence. yall cornered the market. just came out like a bolt of lightening burning everything in the way. but then you got greedy, and in your greed you lost focus and didnt see the bigger picture. you consolidated power so you can have the ultimate power and removed secession clause so no one can come out of your power structure. but you see ? you didnt see the bigger picture. NO MAN HOLDS ONTO POWER FOREVER. and the bigger picture is when you lose that power ? we are all doomed to hausa rule forever because it is a majority hausa country and it is one man one vote. and so you shot yourself in the foot because when you lost that power ? its hard for an igbo president to emerge again because you dont have the population to see it through. and so we are all doomed to hausa rule. AND SO YOU PLAYED THE GAME, YOU KICKED MUCH ASS, YOU CAME, SAW, CONQUERED BUT EVENTUALLY GOT CONQUERED. Its a huge mistake you are going to have to live with. the rest of us are living with the mistake. what can we do ? i believe its time you people settle down and learn to live with your mistake and stop this agitation. grin

You sound like a person that came from a defeated tribe.. Sorry I don't belong to such tribe, because if I come from a defeated tribe I don't think my people will continue the agitation that's on ground despite going through a 3 yr solid brutal bitter war In the past..

If you are a slave that loves his chains... I am not

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by CaptainFM1: 5:07pm On Jan 31, 2022
Make we start to dey pity South East abi?

Sorry, it's unfortunate that politics doesn't work with pity. Infact, one single state can continue to produce the President as long as they get the politics right.

Politics is a game of number, not game of pity.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 5:07pm On Jan 31, 2022
DeepSight:

Even if you wish to deploy this highly suspicious and questionable argument, the 1st and 2nd Republics were prior to 199. You would still have to add Shagari to the count of the North, being a civilian democratically elected President. And there is also no reason you should not count Tafawa Balewa - he was an executive Head of the Federal Government. Thats at least an extra 10 years in favour of the North.
what point are you even trying to make? When Balewa was Prime Minister, was the president not from South East?
Who be this one sef?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DMerciful(m): 5:07pm On Jan 31, 2022
Unless you want PDP to do it for doing sake! If you want the SE to get presidency, it has to be both APC and PDP doing the zoning so that Nigerians will have no choice than to vote Igbo man they hate just like 1999 when it was Obj and Falae and Nigeria had no choice but to vote a Yoruba man
obinoral1179:
APC are not obligated to do so because the party are not well received in the zone so PDP are the best party to give them a shot at the president

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by sukkot: 5:08pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

You sound like a person that came from a defeated tribe.. Sorry I don't belong to such tribe, because if I come from a defeated tribe I don't think my people will continue the agitation that's on ground despite going through a 3 yr solid brutal bitter war In the past..

If you are a slave that loves his chains... I am not
there are no chains. this is a game. the game is for the savvy. learn to be savvy and your chains will come off.

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

NPC came 3rd with number of votes, but had double the seats of 1st and 3nd parties.
Is that not an anomaly?
How do you explain that

I do not see any anomaly because you do not seem to understand how parliamentary elections work

Just like in football leagues it is points that determine victories not goals scored
A team cam win 5 games 1-0 and get 15 points

winning a single game 6-0 wll still give you 3 points and another team may score 30 goals in 5 games and get only 9 points so for me there is no anomaly

Donal Trump won the Presidency with fewer votes than Clinton
George W Bush did the same in 2000
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

because you ignorantly think Fulani, kanuri, buari, Hausa tuaregs etc are the same so we should adopt your own system of zoning or what?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 5:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
That is not a credible source just like Wikipedia. Let us not argue just think about it. It says "MADE PRME MINISTER" what does that mean? Who made him Prime Minister? How? On what date exactly in 1957 and by what process.

A more credible source would be a Newspaper cutting or photo.

For me it is fake news
that was culled from britannica web page they are the authors of britannica encyclopedia, i know you know that right? They are much more an authority on general news than any newspaper in the world, not only that you can as well get the info from Nigerian archives Ibadan, and Balewa was not made a PM he was elected to be a PM in the parliament by a coalition of Ahmadu Bello party NPC and Azikwe'part NCNC in 1957,there are other sources on the internet I don't have time for that now, but you can Google it, I was just trying to point out the op's error although I understood what he was trying to say, meaning the not has had the bigger share in directing the affairs of the country than the south.

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by akosy(m): 5:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
jumper524:
Tarawa balewa of bauchi is from north east

When him become head of states?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:

I do not see any anomaly because you do not seem to understand how parliamentary elections work

Just like in football leagues it is points that determine victories not goals scored
A team cam win 5 games 1-0 and get 15 points

winning a single game 6-0 wll still give you 3 points and another team may score 30 goals in 5 games and get only 9 points so for me there is no anomaly

Donal Trump won the Presidency with fewer votes than Clinton
George W Bush did the same in 2000

Is America running a parliamentary system also, or what is the comparison about?
Do British parties get more parliamentary seats even though they are 3rd in votes?
Why did NPC get more seats despite having lower votes and population in 1959

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by 2016easy2017: 5:29pm On Jan 31, 2022
Obasanjo is an Ibo man o.
So no southwestern has govern yet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

APC Campaign In Gombe- Live Updates / Longer Video Of President Buhari In London Cracking Jokes With Lai Mohammed / Mamman Daura Tried To Control Osinbajo When Buhari Travelled —junaid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.