Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,471 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone (27891 Views)

Poverty Rate In Nigeria By Geo-political Zone, According To NBS Report / Number Of Poor People In Nigeria By Geo Political Zone And State :(Pix) / Which Geo-political Zone In Nigeria Is Capable Of Becoming A Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Elidrisy20: 4:13pm On Jan 31, 2022
Why is the South East & South South crying? Or is it because when they ruled wailers were not born cool
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by sukkot: 4:13pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

At the bolded...I hate lies..

Your lies and propaganda can never be true despite repeating it million times..

[b]Before Gowon became head of state in August 1966, Nigeria was a federation of

1) 4 semi-autonomous Regions
2) Each Region had resource control
3)Each Region kept 50% of whatever accrued within it, paid the Federal Government 25% and the rest 25% went into a General account that all the Regions including the Federal Government could use for developmental purpose.
4)Because the 4 Regions were semi-autonomous, it made the centre week and prevented any Region from dominating another

Today, we have

1)36 states that have little or no resource control
2) A powerful Federal government that now pays the states
3)Fiscal federalism is dead

How did we get here? It was Gowons promulgation of Decree 14 on the 27th of May 1967 that caused it all. It was this same decree that forced Ojukwu to declare the Eastern Region a seperate country called Biafra 3 days later and this led to the war. It should also be added that decree 14 was a violation of the Aburi agreement that both Gowon and Ojukwu signed in Ghana.

Decree 14, abolished the 4 Regions, replaced them with 12 states, took away resource control, reversed fiscal responsibility and made the federal government all powerful

It was seen for what it was by Ojukwu and the Eastern Region, a calculated attempt by Gowon and his Northern cohorts to dominate everyone.

Suddenly, the North that was one Region, had 6 states while the South that was 3 Regions had to share 6 states between them. This effectively made the North the dominant partner[/b]

Subsequent military administration's led by Northerners subdivided the 12 states Gowon created, and gave the North more states and local governments than the south

Today, the North that was one Region has overwhelming advantage over the South that was 3 Regions

1) The North has 19 states while the south has 17

2)Of the 109 Senators in Nigeria, the North has 59 while the south has 50

3) Of the 360 house of rep members, the North has 191 while the South has 169

4) Of the 774 Local Governments in Nigeria, the North has 419 while the South has 355

This undue advantage given to the North, starting with Gowons decree 14 which changed the structure of Nigeria, is what led to war and created the mess Nigeria is in today

Know your history..
I hold no tribal views. just presenting facts

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by tctrills: 4:13pm On Jan 31, 2022
Pogba12:
The north is by far the most populous region, so it is in order.
Majority Carrie's the vote.
You clearly don't know the population of Nigeria. The North does not have up to 20% lead on the south in population. Not like I care where the presidents come from. But then you should educate yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ezeama400: 4:15pm On Jan 31, 2022
Decryptor:

You see! It is not today that marginalization against Igbos started!

At least, when next someone asks why Aguiyi Ironsi carried out that coup, I now have a valid answer!

No that's not true.. Nig Military carried the coup, the then most senior man in the military had to take over like it's done in other countries those days.

The coup was just a military coup, don't allow these people to deceive you that it was an Igbo coup

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2022
Pogba12:
The north is by far the most populous region, so it is in order.
Majority Carrie's the vote.

Not so populous according to the 1960 elections which was won by NCNC, followed by AG, with NPC a distant 3rd.
Know your history and stop being ignorant in public.

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:18pm On Jan 31, 2022
Those who conduct a coup take over. Nothing like most senior. That is nonsense. Those who conduct the coup generally retire their seniors
No one risks his life to do a coup and hands over to any so called senior. The penalty is death if caught
It was an Ibo coup

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:
No that's not true.. Nig Military carried the coup, the then most senior man in the military had to take over like it's done in other countries those days.

The coup was just a military coup, don't allow these people to deceive you that it was an Igbo coup

Since Ironsi did not plan/do the coup, he should have worked for the most senior civilian to continue as president/PM.
Why didn’t he do that

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Xbee007470: 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2022
I have always said that they need it
Mzthowxeen70: Nice concept. forum is a good alternative to NL

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:20pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Those who conduct a coup take over. Nothing like most senior. That is nonsense. Those who conduct the coup generally retire their seniors
No one risks his life to do a coup and hands over to any so called senior. The penalty is death if caught
It was an Ibo coup

Was Ademulegun also Igbo
Were the 5 Majors all Igbo?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by t2luv1: 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
when Yarardua was president did he pick vice from North?
Buhari that's currently president is his vice from North?
President and vice can't come from the same region

Partner read my comment I said the North has been either the President or the Vice President since 1999.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ezeama400: 4:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
sukkot:
I hold no tribal views. just presenting facts

Did u even read what u posted ?

We are talking of regionalism where every region was in charge of their resources and bring some percentage to the center..

Go and read the history of state creation which started with Gowon...

Mind you, regionalism encompasses a lot of factors.. Abolishing the regionalism did not mean that Ironsi is the one that ordered ordered all the recourses to come to the center.. It started during Gowon's Time.. Go bck and read what I posted... Then also read the history of recourse control in Nigeria starting from 1960 to date.. I will get the document for u or you can read it online.. It's all over the net
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

Not so populous according to the 1960 elections which was won by NCNC, followed by AG, with NPC a distant 3rd.
Know your history and stop being ignorant in public.
Elections are not a measure of which is more populous unless you assume that zones vote for only one party which is not only presumptuous but historically wrong
NCNC was very strong in the Plateau area and some southern minorities went with NPC
Was there an election in 1960? Check your facts?
Your reporting of the outcome of the elections which actually happened in 1959 is wrong

NPC won the highest number of seats in parliament
Peace
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2022
IGBOSON1:
So how come Zik and Balewa, that served at the same time, are listed together? Or is this just an attempt to add more Igbo names to the list?
that list is so erroneous, everyone knows Zik was a ceremonial President, Tarawa balewa was the chief executive so Zik doesn't count, in fact Tafawa Balewa has been the Prime minister since 1952 or 1954, I don't know why they don't say this even in his Wikipedia page you will hardly see it there, but if you know Nigerian history very well he has been the Prime minister before 1960.

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:26pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

Since Ironsi did not plan/do the coup, he should have worked for the most senior civilian to continue as president/PM.
Why didn’t he do that
He had no reason to take over the government if he was genuinely not part of the coup
All he needed to do once the coup failed was to restore constitutional order

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
that list is so erroneous, everyone knows Zik was a ceremonial President, Tarawa balewa was the chief executive so Zik doesn't count, in fact Tafawa Balewa has been the Prime minister since 1952 or 1954, I don't know why they don't say this even in his Wikipedia page you will hardly see it there, but if you know Nigerian history very well he has been the Prime minister before 1960.
He was not prime minister in 1952 that is untrue

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Angelfrost(m): 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
sukkot:
your flawed thinking is in you thinking 1 man can change a nation. nigeria is the way it is not because of the president but because of the citizens. you take all 200 million nigerians to the UK and i bet you the UK will turn 3rd world under 2 days

ITS THE PEOPLE NOT THE PRESIDENT. UNDERSTAND THIS AND KNOW PEACE

So your perfect thinking means we should continue electing clowns all because it is 'impossible' for one man to change Nigeria!! Did I miss anything?!!

What then is the whole noise or fuss about elections??! Getting PVC!!! What's then the whole point?!!!

Change, true change, begins from or with good leadership... Name one proper leader this nation has had since Independence! Late. Yar'Adua came close, before the clueless one took over and made a huge mess!!!

I don't expect magic or miracles sir... Rome wasn't built in a tenure! I expect and demand leadership! This is the foundation of peace, development, and progress!

So, I beg to disagree with your unfounded and cynical view!!! Thank you.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by sukkot: 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

Did u even read what u posted ?

We are talking of regionalism where every region was in charge of their resources and bring some percentage to the center..

Go and read the history of state creation which started with Gowon...

Mind you, regionalism encompasses a lot of factors.. Abolishing the regionalism did not mean that Ironsi is the one that ordered ordered all the recourses to come to the center.. It started during Gowon's Time.. Go bck and read what I posted... Then also read the history of recourse control in Nigeria starting from 1960 to date.. I will get the document for u or you can read it online.. It's all over the net
can you also explain to us why nnammdi azikiwe fought so hard against the secession clause ? he fought enahoro and awolowo tooth and nail. meaning if you are unhappy with nigeria you can never get out of it. why would Azikiwe vehemently support such a document and then saw it through ?

4 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by adelaja70(m): 4:29pm On Jan 31, 2022
Decryptor:

You see! It is not today that marginalization against Igbos started!

At least, when next someone asks why Aguiyi Ironsi carried out that coup, I now have a valid answer!
Zik chose to be ceremonial... Ask knowledgeable elders in your village what happened.

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 4:30pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
He was not prime minister in 1952 that is untrue
so sad we are in faceless forum.. I would have love to bet this, because just what you said I said couple of weeks ago and I lost.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 4:31pm On Jan 31, 2022
t2luv1:

Partner read my comment I said the North has been either the President or the Vice President since 1999.
so? When you're counting the years south spent in power will you count Osinbajo's 8 years as VP?
Both North and South have either been president or VP. Even when Shagari was elected in the 80s his VP was Ekwueme from South East.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ekpoudom: 4:31pm On Jan 31, 2022
kettykin:
Instead of any section of the country to be denied justice, let the country burn into pieces. Denying any part of the country justice, equity and fair play is on its own a void of the constitution and should be treated as such.

IPOB-man, look the country will not burn. You will be in it to witness other sections of the country (who have spent years building bridges and loving their neighbours as themselves) get the presidency while you people who have been sowing hatred and hurling vile insults, abuse and threats against other sections of the country will continue to eat the humble pie. Should you not want the humble pie though you can continue to make your IPOB region ungovernable and a very dangerous place to be. It’s your choice.

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:32pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
so sad we are in faceless forum.. I would have love to bet this, because just what you said I said couple of weeks ago and I lost.
Go and do your research for what his official title was
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by sukkot: 4:33pm On Jan 31, 2022
Angelfrost:

So your perfect thinking means we should continue electing clowns all because it is 'impossible' for one man to change Nigeria!! Did I miss anything?!!

[size=19pt]What then is the whole noise or fuss about elections??! Getting PVC!!! What's then the whole point?!!! [/size]

Change, true change, begins from or with good leadership... Name one proper leader this nation has had since Independence! Late. Yar'Adua came close, before the clueless one took over and made a huge mess!!!

I don't expect magic or miracles sir... Rome wasn't built in a tenure! I expect and demand leadership! This is the foundation of peace, development, and progress!

So, I beg to disagree with your unfounded and cynical view!!! Thank you.
the enlarged is the whole point. you guys have been hoodwinked and bamboozled and discombobulated into thinking voting will change your lives. ONLY YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE . you are all living in a cosmic matrix delusion. the leaders will do what the leaders do. their decisions affect nothing. grassroot and the behavior of the men on the ground is where change happens. and from what i see on the ground ? people beheading each other for ritual money, police corruption, people being evil to each other , get rich quick diabolical schemes etc ? the ground is not looking good
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by seguno2: 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Elections are not a measure of which is more populous unless you assume that zones vote for only one party which is not only presumptuous but historically wrong
NCNC was very strong in the Plateau area and some southern minorities went with NPC
Was there an election in 1960? Check your facts?
Your reporting of the outcome of the elections which actually happened in 1959 is wrong

NPC won the highest number of seats in parliament
Peace

Thanks for correcting the year of the election as 1959.
However, NPC came 3rd, even though it got the highest number of seats. How did the anomaly happen

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ezeama400: 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

Why didn’t he do that

You never know what was on his mind...When the country was in turmoil and every civilian official those days was looking for easiest route to run out of the country due to fear ..

Ironsi took a drastic steps and did what he should do as a military head by arresting the coup plotters.. The process of the prosecution was ongoing, northerners started accusing him of treating coup plotters with soft hand saying all sorts of mannerless things.. Before you knew it they had already ganged up against him and executed someone that hasn't stayed six months in power.. ( Funny that those that Killed him are not having a good time,Danjuma and co to be precise)

Even today it takes a lot of ages to sentence someone that committed a big offence ...
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Go and do your research for what his official title was
Nigerian prime Minister 1957 I was wrong to say 1952,mu point is, he was a prime minister before 1960 period.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DMerciful(m): 4:35pm On Jan 31, 2022
PDP zoning their ticket to SE will not give SE the presidency. So what's the point if APC will not equally do same?
obinoral1179:
Nice thread, this should make the PDP zone their tickets to the South East alone because they have been loyal zone to them...
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ekpoudom: 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2022
adelaja70:

Zik chose to be ceremonial... Ask knowledgeable elders in your village what happened.

Are you sure there are knowledgeable elders in his village? You know some foolishness is hereditary hence if someone inherited foolishness from their elders, who is there to ask about knowledgeable things?

Zik that again and again chose to be subservient to the North rather than collaborate with other sections.

2 Likes

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by t2luv1: 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

At the bolded...I hate lies..

Your lies and propaganda can never be true despite repeating it million times..

[b]Before Gowon became head of state in August 1966, Nigeria was a federation of

1) 4 semi-autonomous Regions
2) Each Region had resource control
3)Each Region kept 50% of whatever accrued within it, paid the Federal Government 25% and the rest 25% went into a General account that all the Regions including the Federal Government could use for developmental purpose.
4)Because the 4 Regions were semi-autonomous, it made the centre week and prevented any Region from dominating another

Today, we have

1)36 states that have little or no resource control
2) A powerful Federal government that now pays the states
3)Fiscal federalism is dead

How did we get here? It was Gowons promulgation of Decree 14 on the 27th of May 1967 that caused it all. It was this same decree that forced Ojukwu to declare the Eastern Region a seperate country called Biafra 3 days later and this led to the war. It should also be added that decree 14 was a violation of the Aburi agreement that both Gowon and Ojukwu signed in Ghana.

Decree 14, abolished the 4 Regions, replaced them with 12 states, took away resource control, reversed fiscal responsibility and made the federal government all powerful

It was seen for what it was by Ojukwu and the Eastern Region, a calculated attempt by Gowon and his Northern cohorts to dominate everyone.

Suddenly, the North that was one Region, had 6 states while the South that was 3 Regions had to share 6 states between them. This effectively made the North the dominant partner[/b]

Subsequent military administration's led by Northerners subdivided the 12 states Gowon created, and gave the North more states and local governments than the south

Today, the North that was one Region has overwhelming advantage over the South that was 3 Regions

1) The North has 19 states while the south has 17

2)Of the 109 Senators in Nigeria, the North has 59 while the south has 50

3) Of the 360 house of rep members, the North has 191 while the South has 169

4) Of the 774 Local Governments in Nigeria, the North has 419 while the South has 355

This undue advantage given to the North, starting with Gowons decree 14 which changed the structure of Nigeria, is what led to war and created the mess Nigeria is in today

Know your history..

Since the country divides up the revenue per local government, the North will always get the lion's share of the loot. The system has been rigged even Stevie Wonder can see through it
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:37pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

Thanks for correcting the year of the election as 1959.
However, NPC came 3rd, even though it got the highest number of seats. How did the anomaly happen
NPC did not come third and it did not get the highest number of votes. Both claims are false.
Can you substantiate your claims by giving a breakdown of the seats won?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Ezeama400: 4:38pm On Jan 31, 2022
sukkot:
can you also explain to us why nnammdi azikiwe fought so hard against the secession clause ? he fought enahoro and awolowo tooth and nail. meaning if you are unhappy with nigeria you can never get out of it. why would Azikiwe vehemently support such a document and then saw it through ?

So Azikiwe was a super human for his only opinion to override three people's opinion ( Awolowo, Azikiwe and others) ?

What happened to subjecting such opinion to vote ?

Mind you, some Igbos today still believe in Nigeria but when you put such opinions to vote, majority will obviously carry the vote..
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 4:39pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
Nigerian prime Minister 1957 I was wrong to say 1952,mu point is, he was a prime minister before 1960 period.
Do you have evidence for this claim?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peter Obi: "Soludo Is A Betrayer Of The Igbo Nation" - Prof. Osuji / Saraki: No Shaking, Four Years Too Sure - Dino Melaye / Senate Rejects Melaye's Motion To Request Details Of Officers Deployed To Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.