Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,545 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone (27893 Views)

Poverty Rate In Nigeria By Geo-political Zone, According To NBS Report / Number Of Poor People In Nigeria By Geo Political Zone And State :(Pix) / Which Geo-political Zone In Nigeria Is Capable Of Becoming A Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 5:30pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
that was culled from britannica web page they are the authors of britannica encyclopedia, i know you know that right? They are much more an authority on general news than any newspaper in the world, not only that you can as well get the info from Nigerian archives Ibadan, and Balewa was not made a PM he was elected to be a PM in the parliament by a coalition of Ahmadu Bello party NPC and Azikwe'part NCNC in 1957,there are other sources on the internet I don't have time for that now, but you can Google it, I was just trying to point out the op's error although I understood what he was trying to say, meaning the not has had the bigger share in directing the affairs of the country than the south.
I do not want to argue
For me that is not a credible source just like Wikipedia

How can they be more credible than a newspaper? Maybe you did not understand the question

I am saying can you find any CONTEMPORANEOUS newspaper article between 1957 and 1960. Contemporaneity is the issue

anyway that is another matter

The fact of the matter is Executive Power resided with the Governor General SIR ROBERTSON until independence and whatever title Balewa had in 1957 HE WAS NOT Head of state
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by zelnababa(m): 5:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
loz THE TWO EAST LEFT BEHIND
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 5:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
seguno2:

Is America running a parliamentary system also, or what is the comparison about?
Do British parties get more parliamentary seats even though they are 3rd in votes?
Why did NPC get more seats despite having lower votes and population in 1959
Neither is American politics a football game/league.
The comparison was for an intelligent mind to decipher.
If those two examples don't help you I cannot . Well maybe i could but what is in it for me.
You asked me a question and I have answered I do not see any anomaly at all
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Innomach(m): 5:43pm On Jan 31, 2022
IGBOSON1:
So how come Zik and Balewa, that served at the same time, are listed together? Or is this just an attempt to add more Igbo names to the list?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by FRANKOSKI(m): 5:46pm On Jan 31, 2022
OH SOUTH EAST grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Deadlytruth(m): 5:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
Decryptor:

You see! It is not today that marginalization against Igbos started!

At least, when next someone asks why Aguiyi Ironsi carried out that coup, I now have a valid answer!
The Igbo marginalization here was done against them by no people other than themselves as Azikiwe, with the solid backing of his kinsmen, voluntarily decided to reject the all-South alliance proposal which would have made him prime minister. He would rather, for reasons best known to him and his kismen, give it away to Northerners who even worked against independence. When someone deliberately burns himself with fire with his two eyes open, you don't term it a fire accident. So Zik's giving away of Igbos'chance to be first executive ruler of Nigeria was not marginalization in any way but political suicide.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 5:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
I do not want to argue
For me that is not a credible source just like Wikipedia

How can they be more credible than a newspaper? Maybe you did not understand the question

I am saying can you find any CONTEMPORANEOUS newspaper article between 1957 and 1960. Contemporaneity is the issue

anyway that is another matter

The fact of the matter is Executive Power resided with the Governor General SIR ROBERTSON until independence and whatever title Balewa had in 1957 HE WAS NOT Head of state
the executive power did not reside with the governor General as at 1957,it resides with the prime Minister, same it is with Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa at a point, Jamaica, Ghana and until recently Barbados, the Governor General is a representative of the Crown in UK in her dominions prior to that its the UK's foreign secretary that makes policies and governs on behalf of the Crown, as at 1957 after the war in 1945 the onus of governance was vest in most of the common wealth nations under the British empire, our independence was achieved in 1960 Nnamdi Azikwe became the Governor General in 1960 not the president, he became the ceremonial president in 1963. Check your history well bro.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by 07kjb: 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
ArewaNorth:
This is unnecessary ranting out of ignorance. Where is it written in constitution that GEJ had the mandate to finish his constitutional 2 terms?

Democracy isn't for primitive people like u who think power should be given to them on the basis of threats, blackmail, intimidation and agitations. Power is given to those who seek for it in the best manner.
Where is the southern unity when you are publicly challenging the candidacy of Tinubu?
This will be a very good chance for North to remain in power come 2023.

HISTORY OF NIGERIA'S LEADERSHIP DISTRIBUTION BASED ON ETHNO-RELIGIOUS AND REGIONAL BACKGROUND
Below is the data that calculated the years Nigerians are ruled under religious, ethnic and geographical location considerations. 60 years since independence, Nigeria was ruled by:
11years Obasanjo- Yoruba
9 years Yakubu Gowon-Angas
8 years IBB-Nupe
6 years GEJ-Ijawa
6yrs Nnamdi Azikwe-Igbo
5 years Abacha-Kanuri
7 years Buhari (+2yrs military regime)- Fulani
3 years Shagari-Fulani
2yrs Yaradua-Tuareg
6 months Agunyi-Ironsi-Igbo
2years Murtala, Shonekan & Abdussalam-Fulani, Yoruba & Hausa.
If calculated along religious line, it can be seen that Nigeria was ruled under Christians Presidents for atleast 32years while Muslims Presidents ruled for 28 years.
When calculated along geographical location, it can be seen that South ruled for almost 24yrs while North rule for almost 36yrs.
Yoruba ruled for approximately 12years, Fulani ruled for less than 11yrs, Angas ruled for 9yrs, Igbos ruled for 6yrs, Ijaw had 6yrs, Kanuri had 5yrs, Nupe had 8yrs, Tuareg had 2yrs while Hausa had 1year only.
North-Western presided Nigeria for about 17yrs, South-West presided for about 12yrs, North-Central enjoyed approximately 18yrs, South-South presided for 6yrs, South-East had 6yrs while North-East are still struggling to get to the apex position and still not agitating for it.
U are pathetic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2022
Deadlytruth:

The Igbo marginalization here was done against them by no people other than themselves as Azikiwe, with the solid backing of his kinsmen, voluntarily decided to reject the all-South alliance proposal which would have made him prime minister. He would rather, for reasons best known to him and his kismen, give it away to Northerners who even worked against independence. When someone deliberately burns himself with fire with his two eyes open, you don't term it a fire accident. So Zik's giving away of Igbos'chance to be first executive ruler of Nigeria was not marginalization in any way but political suicide.
even in 1978/79 it was his same people that betrayed him, alas Jim Nwobodo that made him move from one party to the other, eventually they gave the power to Shagari who was suppose to be his vice, and gave the vice to ekwueme.

To be honest I have no problem with a South East person been a president, but this petty ways and blackmail won't work at all.. It's demeaning, I wish there is a very strong South East guy that will command respect from that region and everyone looks up to with his political achievements, not all this OUK, Ayim, Kalu,.. I want someone from the east that has a political grassroots in atleast 3 states someone like nnamani would have been my choice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
the executive power did not reside with the governor General as at 1957,it resides with the prime Minister, same it is with Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa at a point, Jamaica, Ghana and until recently Barbados, the Governor General is a representative of the Crown in UK in her dominions prior to that its the UK's foreign secretary that makes policies and governs on behalf of the Crown, as at 1957 after the war in 1945 the onus of governance was vest in most of the common wealth nations under the British empire, our independence was achieved in 1960 Nnamdi Azikwe became the Governor General in 1960 not the president, he became the ceremonial president in 1963. Check your history well bro.
The executive power lay with the Colonial authority until independece.That is the essence of being a colony
We are going round in circles

Al that talk about Azikiwe is irrelevant to what we are talking about

You claimed Balewa was prime Minister in 1952 then 1957 you claimed this was by coalition government .Where is the evidence? None

Not a single newspaper headline from the time
Now you are talking about Azikiwe
What has Azikiwe got to do with the facts we are disputing?

Nigeria was a Colony until independence and the Colonial master wielded Executive authority. The Head of state was the queen and the representative of that power was the Governor General who also controlled the Army
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by masseratti: 6:06pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
The executive power lay with the Colonial authority until independece.That is the essence of being a colony
We are going round in circles

Al that talk about Azikiwe is irrelevant to what we are talking about

You claimed Balewa was prime Minister in 1952 then 1957 you claimed this was by coalition government .Where is the evidence? None

Not a single newspaper headline from the time
Now you are talking about Azikiwe
What has Azikiwe got to do with the facts we are disputing?

Nigeria was a Colony until independence and the Colonial master wielded Executive authority. The Head of state was the queen and the representative of that power was the Governor General who also controlled the Army
the only thing you wrote, the last part is where you are correct, now let me ask you a simple question, does Canada has a president? Or Australia? Or New Zealand?

The answer is no.. Let me break it down to you in a layman's term, the system of government they practice now is what we were practicing in 1957,now I ask is the executive power of government in UK or in Canada for Canadian government now? The answer is perfect no, therefore we can conclude that the executive power of governance was in the hands of Nigerians with Tafawa Balewa as the head in 1957,please do not confuse executive power of administration with that of military power, in some instances depending on the constitution it belongs to the president or head of state, in some others it belongs to the Prime Minister.. My point clear and simple is that the executive powers was already in Nigerian hands except for defences and foreign affairs, we became independent in 1960 no more a protectorate, in 1963 we became a Republic.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 6:12pm On Jan 31, 2022
masseratti:
the only thing you wrote, the last part is where you are correct, now let me ask you a simple question, does Canada has a president? Or Australia? Or New Zealand?

The answer is no.. Let me break it down to you in a layman's term, the system of government they practice now is what we were practicing in 1957,now I ask is the executive power of government in UK or in Canada for Canadian government now? The answer is perfect no, therefore we can conclude that the executive power of governance was in the hands of Nigerians with Tafawa Balewa as the head in 1957,please do not confuse executive power of administration with that of military power, in some instances depending on the constitution it belongs to the president or head of state, in some others it belongs to the Prime Minister.. My point clear and simple is that the executive powers was already in Nigerian hands except for defences and foreign affairs, we became independent in 1960 no more a protectorate, in 1963 we became a Republic.

Canada , Australia etc? became a republic blablabla
Not relevant and tangential to what happened in 1957 .That is a matter of fact not one for debate

All that nonsense about system of government is irrelevant
The point is that we were still a Colony

Executive power existed even within local government authority. So there are all layers of executive power
Even a school headmaster has some executive power

We are talking about sovereign executive power.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by HBB1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2022
Decryptor:

You see! It is not today that marginalization against Igbos started!

At least, when next someone asks why Aguiyi Ironsi carried out that coup, I now have a valid answer!

See what exactly?

Don't you know your history?

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
what point are you even trying to make? When Balewa was Prime Minister, was the president not from South East?
Who be this one sef?

1. The President who was occupying a ceremonial position?

Oya, lets even give that one to you, just to pamper your iidiocy:

2. Shagari nko?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by HBB1(m): 6:39pm On Jan 31, 2022
aribisala0:
Those who conduct a coup take over. Nothing like most senior. That is nonsense. Those who conduct the coup generally retire their seniors
No one risks his life to do a coup and hands over to any so called senior. The penalty is death if caught
It was an Ibo coup

You did not quote the guy who made that assumption.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by oluwaahmed: 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
LaRosa01:
ladies and gentlemen, this list must have been made by our brothers from the south east and as usual it is fake with propaganda ,I have not verified the figures yet but from a first glance, data number one and two are wrong, first of all the President and head of state between 1960-1966 was Nnamdi Azikiwe ,balewa was the prime minister, so he shouldn't have been on the list, so you see the fellow reduced the time line of the south east to suit his political agenda by fact the region which has tasted power less in this country is the north east and the south south, hence GEJ from the south south must come back to finish

Go school you no gree, oya stay class when you go school you say no. Tafabalewa was the prime minister about C-in-C armed forces because Nigeria was practising parliamentary system of govt. Nnamdi azikiwe role as president was ceremonial and weirded no constitutional power. Look at this illiterate, and his type will be shouting tinubu 2023.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by HBB1(m): 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

You never know what was on his mind...When the country was in turmoil and every civilian official those days was looking for easiest route to run out of the country due to fear ..

Ironsi took a drastic steps and did what he should do as a military head by arresting the coup plotters.. The process of the prosecution was ongoing, northerners started accusing him of treating coup plotters with soft hand saying all sorts of mannerless things.. Before you knew it they had already ganged up against him and executed someone that hasn't stayed six months in power.. ( Funny that those that Killed him are not having a good time,Danjuma and co to be precise)

Even today it takes a lot of ages to sentence someone that committed a big offence ...

You really believe what you wrote up there?
undecided

Why can't we just say things as they are ( or were) and move forward.

Did it take Ojukwu that long to try Ifeajuna and Banjo?

It takes a long time to sentence people that were recorded saying how they executed the prime minister and premiers of regional governments.

Long time in the Military?
Ok o!
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Deadlytruth(m): 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ezeama400:

So Azikiwe was a super human for his only opinion to override three people's opinion ( Awolowo, Azikiwe and others) ?

What happened to subjecting such opinion to vote ?

Mind you, some Igbos today still believe in Nigeria but when you put such opinions to vote, majority will obviously carry the vote..

Azikiwe secured the backing of the British overlords to threaten Awolowo and Enahoro with treason charges if they didn't discontinue with their secession clause motion movement. In actual fact, all that the British needed to outlaw secession clause was one dissenting region which they found in Azikiwe on behalf of the Eastern Region. Even Azikiwe would many years later in a 1975 press interview confess that the British came to his aid as regards suppressing the pro-secession clause movement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by oluwaahmed: 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
what point are you even trying to make? When Balewa was Prime Minister, was the president not from South East?
Who be this one sef?

You are too dull. God forbid! Did you go to primary school? Did they not teach you in social studies that Tarawa balewa was the Prime minister/Head of Govt/commander in chief? While Nnamdu Azikiwe as president was the ceremonial head? Do you know that today France has a president even though the constitutional power is with the prime minister-Emmanuel Macron. Una too dull to dey challenge anything Igbo abeg. And check wel you go be tinubu supporter.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by aribisala0(m): 7:42pm On Jan 31, 2022
oluwaahmed:

You are too dull. God forbid! Did you go to primary school? Did they not teach you in social studies that Tarawa balewa was the Prime minister/Head of Govt/commander in chief? While Nnamdu Azikiwe as president was the ceremonial head? Do you know that today France has a president even though the constitutional power is with the prime minister-Emmanuel Macron. Una too dull to dey challenge anything Igbo abeg. And check wel you go be tinubu supporter.
Emmanuel Macron is president and not prime Minister
The President of France is the Head of State and he appoints the Prime Minister
The French example is not a good one .It is significantly different from the British system we operated in the past

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 7:54pm On Jan 31, 2022
oluwaahmed:

omo you are an absolute mugu. The point here is that north or south has never been president and vice president at the same time. Is your brain filled with pus? Who cares if Balewa was the executive Head of states, head of government or whatever position he held? The point is throughout history the two leaders are one from South one from North. The guy I was responding to claimed that North has always had either president or vice since 1999 I tried to lecture him that it's the same for South. What's Igbo you are hyping? A fugazi "major" tribe nobody rates? Get the fucck out of here mugu

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 7:58pm On Jan 31, 2022
DeepSight:

1. The President who was occupying a ceremonial position?

Oya, lets even give that one to you, just to pamper your iidiocy:

2. Shagari nko?
you be mugu. The point here is that both executive heads of states can't come from the same region. One must come from south while the other come from North. That's the argument
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 8:09pm On Jan 31, 2022
oluwaahmed:

this goat doesn't even know Macron is President yet he's jumping here to vomit filth.
What's the correlation between power dispensation and the argument here?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by LaRosa01: 8:22pm On Jan 31, 2022
small children, very disrespectful. anyway as elders we must forgive after all you are all reflections of our failure. pikin please read about parliamentary system not hear say.

oluwaahmed:

Go school you no gree, oya stay class when you go school you say no. Tafabalewa was the prime minister about C-in-C armed forces because Nigeria was practising parliamentary system of govt. Nnamdi azikiwe role as president was ceremonial and weirded no constitutional power. Look at this illiterate, and his type will be shouting tinubu 2023.

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 8:33pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
you be mugu. The point here is that both executive heads of states can't come from the same region. One must come from south while the other come from North. That's the argument

Really? That's the argument? How strange. I seem to recall you suggesting that before 1999 power was taken by force:

Walkee:
Nobody marginalised anyone. Prior to 1999 anybody could take power. Power was taken not given, nobody told our generals not to be bold enough to risk their lives to seize power. Since we started choosing president through votes, how many years have Northerners ruled compared to the South?

Perhaps 1960 - 1966 and 1979 to 1983 were periods after 1999. Ah, I see, indeed, that must be the case, pardon me. You know its not easy for us mugus.

When you say "both executive heads of state" - I can only shake my head in pity, and in shame at the quality of our educational system these days. How sad, how terribly sad.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 8:45pm On Jan 31, 2022
DeepSight:

Really? That's the argument? How strange. I seem to recall you suggesting that before 1999 power was taken by force:

Perhaps 1960 - 1966 and 1979 to 1983 were periods after 1999. Ah, I see, indeed, that must be the case, pardon me. You know its not easy for us mugus.
do you have comprehension problem? Prior to 1999 I was clearly talking about military era. Didn't you see where I said " nobody told our generals not to be bold enough to risk their lives to take power"?
The guy I was lecturing said that North has always had either president or vice since 1999 so I told him it has always been that way for both North and South. Why are you people so dumb?
Those periods you mentioned up there when did the two heads of executive branch come from the same region?

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 8:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
do you have comprehension problem? Prior to 1999 I was clearly talking about military era. Didn't you see where I said " nobody told our generals not to be bold enough to risk their lives and take power"?
The guy I was lecturing said that North has always had either president or vice since 1999 so I told him it has always been that way for both North and South. Why are you people so dumb?
Those periods you mentioned up there when did the two heads of executive branch come from the same region?

Ol boy you grossly misrepresented reality with what you wrote. But no worries, perhaps its just a misunderstanding.
Its no matter.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Blackdisciple(m): 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2022
So why is the north thinking they are being cheated ?
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by izubext007: 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2022
Is between the south west and the north.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2022
DeepSight:

Ol boy you grossly misrepresented reality with what you wrote. But no worries, perhaps its just a misunderstanding.
Its no matter.
there's no misrepresentation of anything here. You jumped into an argument halfway without bothering to understand the context. The guy I quoted initially has gotten the memo. He believed the entire North was one ethnic group which was why he claimed they were getting undue advantage by always being in power either as president or vice. I only explained to him that president and vice cannot come from the same region, not even in the 80s. You just jumped into an argument you didn't even understand

1 Like

Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by DeepSight(m): 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2022
Walkee:
there's no misrepresentation of anything here. You jumped into an argument halfway without bothering to understand the context. The guy I quoted initially has gotten the memo. He believed the entire North was one ethnic group which was why he claimed they were getting undue advantage by always being in power either as president or vice. I only explained to him that president and vice cannot come from the same region, not even in the 80s. You just jumped into an argument you didn't even understand

I hear you sa. But please sha note that -

- 1. There is nothing, and there has never been anything like "both executive heads of state" in Nigeria in any dispensation, contrary to what you wrote.
- 2. There was selection of leaders in this country by votes before 1999, contrary to what you wrote.

Thank you sa.
Re: Past & Present Heads Of State Of Nigeria By Geo-political Zone by Walkee: 9:17pm On Jan 31, 2022
DeepSight:

I hear you sa. But please sha note that -

- 1. There is nothing, and there has never been anything like "both executive heads of state" in Nigeria in any dispensation, contrary to what you wrote.
- 2. There was selection of leaders in this country by votes before 1999, contrary to what you wrote.

Thank you sa.

selection of leaders that never lasted 4 years? If the Shagari administration had succeeded then we would have seen if power would have come to the south, with a northerner as VP or not. Since none of these administrations even completed one full tenure it does not even make sense to include them in an argument about who dominated whom.
The two executive heads was definitely a mistake but it is not even relevant in this discourse, just a wrong lexical item which doesn't distort the my point. What I mean is the head of the executive branch and his vice.

Don't even bring 1960 election into this argument (not that it changes anything) but that was a completely different system of government, three years into that administration Nigeria wasn't still totally independent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bode George Indicates Interest In Running For President In 2023 / Bandits Kill 20 Security Operatives In Zamfara, Set Their Corpses On Fire / Saraki In Maiduguri, To Visit IDP Camps (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.