Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,316 members, 7,811,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. (26347 Views)

Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why / Adorable Photos Of 6 Oyinbo Kids As They Turned 1-year-old / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Coldie(m): 2:34am On Feb 02, 2022
This thing is making me and my father have issues right now just because I told him to try and manage the way he spends money he said am insulting him.

My Dad finishes 1m in a week or 2 weeks max as consultancy payment from his company, receives rents from his numerous houses, still our family business he he wants to handle the money like 247 he’s in the finance section looking at the finances next thing u see he takes a huge sum away and that’s it.

He uses old cars and says he wants a new one that his kids abroad must be the one to buy it, me that’s still studying he is expecting me to be sending millions home, ok close eye just save in 2months max u would buy a new car he says am insulting him for saying that, telling everybody that he will never forgive me for saying this.

Am like which kind problem be this

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by showafrica(m): 2:40am On Feb 02, 2022
freesoul12:
God bless op for this. My dad fits in dis description.. I was in ss3 wen we fought on d issue of ü must enrol for special center and clear ur Waec.. I was like Dad this is not right now . He didnt even believe in my ability for once. He reluctantly paid for my exam fee. I had to go borrow text books from my friends to read for d exam.. He was waiting for d result to come out and mock me.. Na so î pass. E shock am. Fast forward.. Na so again e wan do for jamb.. I told him its bad.. I go pass make u let me do am. Fast forward i graduated from school.. Job no come in time.. Na so Papa go dey do comparison say his friends son are doing well wen he knew within himself that those guys are yahoo boys. I told him oneday dat sir do u know that those guys are into yahoo.. He said why cant ü do it too. Just walked out of him that day I almost commit suicide due to d pressure. Did some teaching jobs.. Then took some online course in digital biz and trading.. Later money starts coming in.. So he felt Im into yahoo cos he always see me with phone and laptop. So there was a day Sars came to our area to arrest some yahoo guys.. Na so dad rushed in come tell me say make i no go out say make dem no arrest me.. I told him why and for what.. Do you think im into fraud. I went out out immediately with my earpiece and phone even greeted those Sars men while they were taking away those Yahoo boys..my Dad was peeping through d gate thinking they will arrest me. After like 2 months.. I had to pack out of his flat that he gave me. Some parents are just evil and they will surely guide their kids in dat evil path

Lol, this world no balance, some good parents are praying to have a son like you while the bad parents that has a good son and wishing to have a bad son. Something is wrong with a black man.

7 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Triangles1(m): 2:46am On Feb 02, 2022
Olam09:

Abi na.. may God help us.. this life wey i dey, i no wan bring any kid into this world to suffer. Na wetin dey make me dey work extra hard be that.. my kids shouldn't owe me anything for bringing them into this world. Na me dey owe them many things so I've got to be established before contemplating on any fućking marriage plan. My kids mustn't suffer.

True.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by dogmart(m): 2:55am On Feb 02, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

A guy in his Early 20s, who lives just a stone-throw from my doormouth here in Awka fought his father because his father compared him with one notorious yahoo boy in the area.

His father was like "look at ragzzy( not the Yahoo boy's real name), he is super rich, he has exotic cars and houses, all you do everyday is stay here and eat my food and keep roaming round the city"

The boy on his own part was like "Yes, I'm as poor as church rat, the poverty I inherited from you as a result of your laziness and roaming around the city when your mates like Peter Obi, Ifeanyi Uba, Arthur Eze, Dangote, Otedola were busy building foundation for their unborn children"

The angered father couldn't hold himself and angrily rushed towards his son which resulted in serious exchange of blows between the father and his son.

grin grin grin
The boy get bad mouth na grin

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Shancca: 3:19am On Feb 02, 2022
OlawaleBammie:

God bless u bro for that bella sshmurda lines, i hate that line like wetin.

In my mind i was like...what was the mother doing in her prime that she could not make money, obviously she was hoeing around(sorry to say)

I hate ut wen parent say those ritual indicting words.

E easy na hin those parent no build Mansion in their prime??

You see eh, marriage is the greatest teacher of all people who choose the path of non celibacy. I will not argue with you because it is glaringly that you don’t have a family of your own at the moment. Until you have one, I will tag this comment as naively said than a contribution to a post from a supposed naive poster who muddled things without experience and test.

PS: Parents should never push their children into illegal dealings but prevailing on one’s child in the hopes of better living in future is acceptable and should be encouraged.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Dahreformer2666: 3:21am On Feb 02, 2022
I won't even bothered to read your write up, this whole evolution of a thing always made us the youth of nowadays claiming to be right whereas the truth is here staring right at us , wait till you reach your old age and see if you'd depends on your children as your retirement plans or not , I'm not saying parents should be lazy but then ... let stop setting unnecessary standard on social media
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 3:50am On Feb 02, 2022
The5DME:
Cc ishilove
Dude uniben don give u admission?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 3:52am On Feb 02, 2022
jasminer:
I hope some people will be willing to leave their parents house once they clock 16 and not be parasites at 25 claiming parents shouldn't use them as retirement plan...

If you gave those parents the space to build their futures, they most likely won't be broke, but no, you see the free or very affordable government schools and push them to enroll you in one of the best private schools that cost them blood and sweat every term, unlike your mates overseas who attended free education and take loans to pay for their university tuition.

Hypocrisy
This talk no make sense
Na woman u go be definitely
Pikin force parent to put am for private school

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 3:58am On Feb 02, 2022
Goldentulip2:
You made a point about COMPARING which is a wrong move, tho some parents do this unknowingly. But how old are you or have you experienced parenting to give a parental advice! It’s easy to say what you say, but EVERY mother have it in their minds for their kids to look after them at retirement aka a sub-retirement plan.

You lie so well, a BIG FAT LIE.
Not every Mother like you wrongly put it.
I know lots of Mothers in my circle that today still send weekly allowances to their adult Children (married males and females), and buy lots of goodies for their grandchildren.
The money comes from proceeds of their many years of sustained and growing investments + pension (for some).
The OP made a very very valid point, this the reason I advise young parents today to invest minimum of 30% of their monthly income for their old age, and not to become a burden to their Children or family at that Time.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by OlawaleBammie: 4:23am On Feb 02, 2022
Shancca:

You see eh, marriage is the greatest teacher of all people who choose the path of non celibacy. I will not argue with you because it is glaringly that you don’t have a family of your own at the moment. Until you have one, I will tag this comment as naively said than a contribution to a post from a supposed naive poster who muddled things without experience and test.

PS: Parents should never push their children into illegal dealings but prevailing on one’s child in the hopes of better living in future is acceptable and should be encouraged.
are u sure u want to direct this msg to me?
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by franudi: 4:27am On Feb 02, 2022
Nonsense talk.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:01am On Feb 02, 2022
erenax:
You are saying trash OP.

I owe my mother every good things of this life.

Dear God , please for my mother's sake, make me successful.

How about your father?

Una no de try for fathers at all
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:02am On Feb 02, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

The kids over here hum

Once they are of age, they simply pack out of the house sometimes without even looking back.

That's even better, because it happens before the parents retire.

Suddenly, hubby and wifey find themselves spending way less than they earn, so they can save quite a lot, buy stock, or build a business.

Just because the kids are done with college at 19, max.

In Naija, "kids" of 19 still dey write JAMB. They finally graduate at 26 and look for job for 2 years only to get one that pays ₦35k. By then Papa don clock 55 if e lucky and marry before age 30.

And that's the firstborn, o!

The younger ones still dey school.

5 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by stuff46(m): 5:37am On Feb 02, 2022
If you look for excuse, you will always see them!!!
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by emmaodet: 6:15am On Feb 02, 2022
Acidosis:
"I want to make mama proud", "I want to make mama proud" na so youths take dey enter India with drugs, others don dey trade human parts for money.

The same mama that did not make them proud enough to leave some inheritance for them when exchange rate was good, today's youths are using their mama as excuse for crime.

In a sane environment, Bella Schmurda mama suppose dey jail.

Also, if the urge to make your mama proud is the reason you defraud people, you and your mama suppose dey Suleja or Ikoyi prisons.

That is why I don’t believe in this “Mother’s care and Love” that people always scream about.
Mothers don’t love their kids more than their fathers rather doing that hoping the child will becoming something in future so that they will be in prime position to enjoy most.
Before my mum died, she had been pressuring me to travel and relocate to US. Why? Because my childhood friend who moved there 2010 is buying lands in choice areas in my place and has built 2 4-bedroom flats, took us mum and 2 sisters to US for visitation and furnished his mum apartment and gave her a good ride.
Am I doing bad here? No but she kept saying Jide has surpassed me, he has achieved more than me. If he comes to nigeria, he won’t call me because he is doing better than me.
Should we really be worried about all this? Is life a competition?
Am I not feeding my family well and not begging anybody? Is life a race?
Ohhh, so that she can boast that her kid too is in abroad and sending dollars and she is monitoring is building project for him.
Unnecessary pressure.
Fathers are not like that. They understand the struggles of life so don’t push you. It is always mothers

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Spherical77(m): 6:15am On Feb 02, 2022
jasminer:
I hope some people will be willing to leave their parents house once they clock 16 and not be parasites at 25 claiming parents shouldn't use them as retirement plan...

If you gave those parents the space to build their futures, they most likely won't be broke, but no, you see the free or very affordable government schools and push them to enroll you in one of the best private schools that cost them blood and sweat every term, unlike your mates overseas who attended free education and take loans to pay for their university tuition.

Hypocrisy
I attended public school all through my life. My university education was almost free but my father would still be complaining because of not getting employed

Poor parents no doubt bank on their kids as retirement plan
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by The5DME(m): 6:20am On Feb 02, 2022
[quote author=NewSoul post=109880031]
Dude uniben don give u admission?[/quoteNot yet. They've not admitted anyone in my department.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Spherical77(m): 6:21am On Feb 02, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

How about your father?

Una no de try for fathers at all
The fact that he didn't mentioned his father doesn't mean he's not part of his plans

It's just that children tend to love their mothers much more than fathers. It's natural
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Joelobioha(m): 6:40am On Feb 02, 2022
freesoul12:
God bless op for this. My dad fits in dis description.. I was in ss3 wen we fought on d issue of ü must enrol for special center and clear ur Waec.. I was like Dad this is not right now . He didnt even believe in my ability for once. He reluctantly paid for my exam fee. I had to go borrow text books from my friends to read for d exam.. He was waiting for d result to come out and mock me.. Na so î pass. E shock am. Fast forward.. Na so again e wan do for jamb.. I told him its bad.. I go pass make u let me do am. Fast forward i graduated from school.. Job no come in time.. Na so Papa go dey do comparison say his friends son are doing well wen he knew within himself that those guys are yahoo boys. I told him oneday dat sir do u know that those guys are into yahoo.. He said why cant ü do it too. Just walked out of him that day I almost commit suicide due to d pressure. Did some teaching jobs.. Then took some online course in digital biz and trading.. Later money starts coming in.. So he felt Im into yahoo cos he always see me with phone and laptop. So there was a day Sars came to our area to arrest some yahoo guys.. Na so dad rushed in come tell me say make i no go out say make dem no arrest me.. I told him why and for what.. Do you think im into fraud. I went out out immediately with my earpiece and phone even greeted those Sars men while they were taking away those Yahoo boys..my Dad was peeping through d gate thinking they will arrest me. After like 2 months.. I had to pack out of his flat that he gave me. Some parents are just evil and they will surely guide their kids in dat evil path
guy I don see pressure I wan suicide I no believe say mama wey born me go tell me say I dey useless becoz i never give am money. Omo

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Elidrisy20: 6:42am On Feb 02, 2022
But we invested much on them, so we should expect some income from dey, carry your oyinbo mind comot here
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Yadid(m): 6:51am On Feb 02, 2022
This one hits very close to the marrows. Nice one op. I'm speechless to say more.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Acidosis(m): 6:56am On Feb 02, 2022
Elidrisy20:
But we invested much on them, so we should expect some income from dey, carry your oyinbo mind comot here

Your pikin na business?

Shameless man/woman.

4 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 02, 2022
The funds my mom used in raising me up. She could have used it to built a decent house and sustained a good life for herself but she didn't do that.

She ain't forcing neither is she pushing. But I owe her everything.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Acidosis(m): 6:59am On Feb 02, 2022
Shancca:

[s]
PS: Parents should never push their children into illegal dealings but prevailing on one’s child in the hopes of better living in future is acceptable and should be encouraged. [/s]

Shame. Prevailing on your child so they won't have to depend on your inheritance and savings when you're old is the only acceptable thing that is worth encouraging.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by dhabeautyjas(f): 7:01am On Feb 02, 2022
Dahreformer2666:
I won't even bothered to read your write up, this whole evolution of a thing always made us the youth of nowadays claiming to be right whereas the truth is here staring right at us , wait till you reach your old age and see if you'd depends on your children as your retirement plans or not , I'm not saying parents should be lazy but then ... let stop setting unnecessary standard on social media

Thats one of the reasons we all need to have the number of children we can cater for by Gods grace not doing competition with the no. of children somebody has.

If na 1 u fit cater for and plan ur own retirement then do so. And be happy

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by dhabeautyjas(f): 7:04am On Feb 02, 2022
Elidrisy20:
Did they ask you to bring them to the world?

No. If you see them as investment then you are on a long thing
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Acidosis(m): 7:09am On Feb 02, 2022
Dahreformer2666:

Some of you are barely 30 yet you're already looking at how to loot your children's income and suck them dry. If at 30, you've already given up on life and making it on your own, what is the assurance that the kids you're about to pressure into meeting your needs won't go through harder times?

Buhari is what we have today, 20 years from today, we may have a complete failure as president who would wreck the value of Naira completely. Your kids may have it tough so do your best to reduce their burden.

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Gerrard59(m): 7:12am On Feb 02, 2022
jasminer:

If you gave those parents the space to build their futures, they most likely won't be broke, but no, you see the free or very affordable government schools and push them to enroll you in one of the best private schools that cost them blood and sweat every term, unlike your mates overseas who attended free education and take loans to pay for their university tuition

Hypocrisy

Strong point there. These parents are emotionally right to see their children as retirement benefits considering how they spent on their children's education whereas children elsewhere take loans and let their parents plan their own retirements. It's not easy for a Nigerian parent to spend so much money on a child's education yet we don't expect that parent to see the child as form of retirement benefit especially in a country with poor social welfare schemes. He who pays the piper dictates the tune.

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 02, 2022
pickatyouu:

First off, I no be madam. Like I said, there is still no need being responsible towards them, na just fvck u be wan fvck and they happened. Na still their mate dey hustle for motor park.

All this nonsense u spew tells all ur semen still dey enter condom, or ur parents treated u as trash. One must dey

So you'll fuucck, get a girl pregnant and refuse to take responsibility because their mate are hustling in a motor park?

You're a dead beat father, one of the problems we're having in Africa. I feel like slapping sense into you cause you're an idiot and you don't even know it.

It's better you spew your semen in a condom, than to bring an innocent kid to this world to suffer. I can only pity your children. They are very unlucky!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Gerrard59(m): 7:22am On Feb 02, 2022
Only three posters mentioned "birthing children you can adequately take care of". Even the writer didn't mention that aspect. Look, if it's only ONE child you power fit carry, then bear only a child. Don't go about bearing children you can't take care of. As a man, get a vasectomy once you are done with child-bearing before you score another goal or impregnate your side chick.

Learn to use your reproductive organs responsibly.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by DrFunmisticGlow: 7:37am On Feb 02, 2022
optimistfeel:
Eventually if the child(ren) they invested on doesn't have something tangible to offer for the parents ? Parents and parents to be should take heed to this advise....
I think parents should have less children so that they can invest in their kids and also plan for retirement

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Life As An Albino (my Experience) / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After 12 Years Of Waiting / Sex And Your Marriage: Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Writes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.