Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. (26350 Views)

Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why / Adorable Photos Of 6 Oyinbo Kids As They Turned 1-year-old / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:12am On Feb 07, 2022
Acidosis:

You're funny. Children should give their parents space to build their future? How? In this same Nigeria where children are a form of bragging rights for parents? And when they don't have one, they start running from one prophet to another baby factory.

How many kids chose the school they want? It's like you don't know the extent at which some parents go when it comes to using kids as bragging rights.

Nigerian parents dictate everything, including the course their children must study. You can't shift blames here. If your parents want you to be doctor at all cost, who should bear the cost?

The white guy will raise just one or two kids despite several welfare programmes and accessible loans. You, in Nigeria, will do 8 just because you want to have a doctor, lawyer, lecturer, accountant in the family. Who send you? When things don't go as planned, these kids run into Yahoo 'business' and rituals just to meet up with parental and societal expectations.

Daddy I want to go to British international school, daddy I want to school in the USA, mummy I want to go on excursion to Paris.

You mean children don't bug their parents for gifts and favours even when they can take a job and earn 20k monthly, how many will do it?

Even after they graduate, they look up to their parents to get them a job, fund their marriage, gift them a car etc. When the parent can't afford it, they start ranting, don't expect anything yen yen yen, if your parent was tinubu you'll swear that you won't abandon them.

Lol, poverty making people deny their own parents
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:15am On Feb 07, 2022
Gerrard59:

Strong point there. These parents are emotionally right to see their children as retirement benefits considering how they spent on their children's education whereas children elsewhere take loans and let their parents plan their own retirements. It's not easy for a Nigerian parent to spend so much money on a child's education yet we don't expect that parent to see the child as form of retirement benefit especially in a country with poor social welfare schemes. He who pays the piper dictates the tune.

Thank you, some parents abroad throw their 16yr old kids to the streets for refusing to contribute to rent. If a Nigerian parent kicks you to the street, you are a very serious threat to their life, infact, you're beyond redemption.

After slaving years of their life, someone is forming woke and saying all sorts and blaming the parents for birthing them
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:16am On Feb 07, 2022
Spherical77:
I attended public school all through my life. My university education was almost free but my father would still be complaining because of not getting employed

Poor parents no doubt bank on their kids as retirement plan

I assume u were sleeping under the bridge throughout your life. What about food? Were you being fed in school? Clothes nkor? Did u wear uniform from the day you were born? Hospital bills nkor?
Loooooool
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:19am On Feb 07, 2022
NewSoul:

This talk no make sense
Na woman u go be definitely
Pikin force parent to put am for private school

Lol, na poverty dey cause this Kain talk and thinking. People wey get money dey buy their mama Rolls Royce, the mama force them to buy am?
Instead of you to go and meet your parents to bless the day and night over your life, you're blaming them for training you grin
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:22am On Feb 07, 2022
LINTUNE:
guy let's pray to make this money,u simply didn't make any point here...all what u said is as a result of poverty...if your dad has a mansion,I see nothing wrong leaving with him,while u are building ur own house, even in ur 30s..... dude, how can parent that didn't even train their child both in skill acquisition and University level,why should such parents be expecting their child to start bringing in money in his early 20s, no be juju be that..some parents no de try, forget, I still thank God for mine.

U see nothing wrong in living with another man at the age of 30 just because he fathered you but you will see everything wrong in housing a man that fathered you if the mansion belonged to you right?

I haven't seen a parent whose child should be an apprentice somewhere asking the child for a range rover. Me I haven't seen
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:24am On Feb 07, 2022
HenryDion:

A Nigerian parent spotted. Did your kids beg you to born them? No be you go open leg born wetin you cannot carter for?

Nigerian child spotted.
Sure children didn't ask to be born but now the mistake deed has been done, nobody owes you anything beyond 16yrs, and if you kept being a leech on people who have paid for their mistakes for 16 long years, they deserve at least their investment back with interest (and inflation factored) get that into your skull.

If you don't like it, leave their house now!
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Spherical77(m): 5:39am On Feb 07, 2022
jasminer:

I assume u were sleeping under the bridge throughout your life. What about food? Were you being fed in school? Clothes nkor? Did u wear uniform from the day you were born? Hospital bills nkor?
Loooooool
i was given birth in a government owned hospital where it's completely free. The last time i checked, the poorest in Nigeria can still have a roof over his/her head no matter what. I was responsible and supportive for my feeding from 7 because i and my siblings had to hawk before we can put something in our tommy. I'm pretty sure if there were no free education in Nigeria, then i wouldn't get formal education

Despite the penury we still struggle to see ourselves through school. School that was almost free during their time with good job awaiting them after graduation but they couldn't seized the opportunity then

Sadly, here we are today suffering despite being educated but couldn't land a job

Please tell me what favour do our parents had for us for giving birth to i and my siblings?
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 5:42am On Feb 07, 2022
Spherical77:
i was given birth in a government owned hospital where it's completely free. The last time i checked, the poorest in Nigeria can still have a roof over his/her head no matter what. I was responsible and supportive for my feeding from 7 because i and my siblings had to hawk before we can put something in our tommy. I'm pretty sure if there were no free education in Nigeria, then i wouldn't get formal education

Despite the penury we still struggle to see ourselves through school. School that was almost free during their time with good job awaiting them after graduation but they couldn't seized the opportunity then

Sadly, here we are today suffering despite being educated but couldn't land a job

Please tell me what favour do our parents had for us for giving birth to i and my siblings?

Not everyone can afford a roof over their head and food to eat, definitely not a 7yr old boy.
I hope you're not still living with them sha
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Spherical77(m): 6:23am On Feb 07, 2022
jasminer:

Not everyone can afford a roof over their head and food to eat, definitely not a 7yr old boy.
I hope you're not still living with them sha
Please learn how to read to comprehend. A 7 years old is already supporting for upkeep. Nigerians lives in dilapidated building. Building erected with wood, pan, canopy et al. Having a roof over one's head isn't a much problem in Nigeria compare to the western world. You would only asked how quality is the roof? Which most definitely more than 60% of Nigerians lives in slum. Those you see in the street of Lagos sleeping under the bridge or whataview left their home town where they had roof over their head down to Lagos for greener pastures but couldn't afford getting accommodation in Lagos

Parents who can't even survived on their own without demanding from their children who's still finding their foot. This same parents are luring their children to cyber fraud (Yahoo) as they can' no longer withstand the man made suffering they created by themselves. The menace in the society today is as a result of bad/poor parenting and not government. These parents don't have a say on their children anymore because they failed to provide for them while growing. These children resort to fending for themselves at younger age exposing them negatively. Particularly, the girl child

Show me a couple doing pretty fine for themselves but still looking up to God for the fruit of the womb and i will gladly show you couples with 5, 6,7 children who can't even afford a square meal abusing those beautiful couples for their childlessness thinking their own is better than theirs because they had children that they can't fend for

Parents should be intentional in raising their children. They should desist from outsourcing their responsibility on their children. Not even children who are up and doing. I mean children who just left school or those with little or no education. How on earth do you expect them to fend for themselves and still look after their parents earning peanut/underemployed or unemployed? How on earth would parents watch their children using phones, wearing clothes, shoes et al that they would never be able to afford for the rest of their lives and they couldn't call them to attention?

Parents know and enable these children in crime just because of Money and possibly shield them away not until it drives close to home
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Acidosis(m): 6:30am On Feb 07, 2022
jasminer:

Daddy I want to go to British international school, daddy I want to school in the USA, mummy I want to go on excursion to Paris.

You mean children don't bug their parents for gifts and favours even when they can take a job and earn 20k monthly, how many will do it?

Even after they graduate, they look up to their parents to get them a job, fund their marriage, gift them a car etc. When the parent can't afford it, they start ranting, don't expect anything yen yen yen, if your parent was tinubu you'll swear that you won't abandon them.

Lol, poverty making people deny their own parents

So you think Tinubu will disturb his sons for money? Or is it Otedola that will look up to Cuppy for money?

It is the same poor people who can't afford a public school education that expect a car, a house, and everything life has to offer.
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 07, 2022
jasminer:

Nigerian child spotted.
Sure children didn't ask to be born but now the mistake deed has been done, nobody owes you anything beyond 16yrs, and if you kept being a leech on people who have paid for their mistakes for 16 long years, they deserve at least their investment back with interest (and inflation factored) get that into your skull.

If you don't like it, leave their house now!

As long as you acknowledged that it was a mistake, you don't deserve a dime from your offspring cause you failed as a parent.

You're the propagators of poverty, dishing out kids without giving them a solid foundation to stand.

The deed has been done indeed.

You should be ashamed!!!

And correction, I'm independent.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
Acidosis:

You're funny. Children should give their parents space to build their future? How? In this same Nigeria where children are a form of bragging rights for parents? And when they don't have one, they start running from one prophet to another baby factory.

How many kids chose the school they want? It's like you don't know the extent at which some parents go when it comes to using kids as bragging rights.

Nigerian parents dictate everything, including the course their children must study. You can't shift blames here. If your parents want you to be doctor at all cost, who should bear the cost?

The white guy will raise just one or two kids despite several welfare programmes and accessible loans. You, in Nigeria, will do 8 just because you want to have a doctor, lawyer, lecturer, accountant in the family. Who send you? When things don't go as planned, these kids run into Yahoo 'business' and rituals just to meet up with parental and societal expectations.

Your logic is on point. I am a parent and already planning for my retirement and that of my wife. It is wrong to use children as a retirement package or pension plan.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After 12 Years Of Waiting / Sex And Your Marriage: Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Writes / 'My Pastor Said My Husband Planted A Killer-Charm In My Body' - Nigerian Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.