Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? (17133 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? / Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Crafteck1: 2:07pm On Feb 05, 2022
Cos the average Nigerian has no say in Nigeria, we are only allowed to breath because they need us to vote, we nigerians are treated like majority of us were created to serve their minority, once you have politican, military or financial power na to oopress everybody remain shocked

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Aguogba(m): 2:10pm On Feb 05, 2022
sirp9898:
Hatred for Igbo's cause it
Very true,but many won't understand how and why.

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2022
Aguogba:

Very true,but many won't understand how and why.
Hahaha grin grin grin grin

I dey tell you Boss
Can anything good, beautiful, pleasant, lovely, comely, magnificent ever come from a mind dominated by hatred? NO! NEVER!

Yet they wonder why things are the way they are (SHITHOLE).

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by 07kjb: 2:21pm On Feb 05, 2022
Cousin9999:

There are ways to start a business with no money. All you're doing is providing a good or service that has a viable market. You could use stuff people discard. You could do something that requires no product. He worked with tons of different people, I'm sure he gathered useful knowledge on them and their businesses.

How do u guys feel comfortable in giving this type of advise?

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Benwallt(m): 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2022
It seems you don't have bank account.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by smasher1(m): 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2022
NotBeenPaid:
So I came across this thread on FP and thought I write about myself a little.

https://www.nairaland.com/6969046/why-nigerians-desperate-leave-country

Just a brief timeline about my life hurdles. Not so much of a good writer, I don't talk too much. I am an introvert. So pardon my flaws. I know for sure that most persons go through a lot worse than this.

Like you I have always frowned against those leaving the country in droves. I felt like they were doing the country a de-service for not staying back to fix it together. But I was wrong all along.

Over the years as time went by after my SSCE, I was out on the street looking to make ends meet. I did a couple of menial jobs to survive. I was a sales boy in a little chemist for a couple of months but the pay was too little and so I left.

Then got another job in a fast-food restaurant as a waiter, worked round the clock for just eight thousand naira salary a month. In some months I got paid less or nothing due to shortages(those who have worked in these places know this). I was relieved of my job by the new Manager because I complained he added more task for me to do aside being waiter, I also controlled traffic within the premises, I drained out water from the soak away everyday after close of work all for just 8k a month. I was jobless for a couple months again.

Then I got another job in a club and the salary was eight thousand Naira a month. The CEO made us report to work 2pm everyday and closes 3-4am sometimes and we had no off days. He maltreated us real bad. I could remember vivid how he slapped me when he found me in the kitchen, and he wouldn't let me explain why I was taking a quick break was because I had blisters on both feet from walking around and attending to too many customers. I was completely worn out. He later relieved me of my job because of this. I became jobless again.

Then I found another job with a construction company (CCECC). Purely manual labour, here I was paid five hundred and sixty Naira a day which excluded Sundays... I resumed 7am and closed 5pm everyday. I couldn't keep up with the workload so I had to quit after 2 weeks. I was jobless again for a couple of months.

Found another job with a cleaning company. They were contracted to clean up the teaching hospital. So we were employed, we were paired 3 per units. In mine was a block in it had about 15 offices or more I think, that we had to clean up every single day. There were days too we did industrial cleaning in a newly opened block. Resumed 6am and closed 6pm everyday. Salary was just ten thousand Naira a month. Transportation alone to and fro was six thousand Naira a month. Leaving me with four thousand Naira as take home. There were also days I survived on just biscuits and water or saturated garri with groundnuts(Sipping garri). I was looking so unkempt, defeated, a walking skeleton. While on this job I got a call from a friend's Mom that her organization(State government) was looking for a cleaner.

I applied within and I got the job, so I left the other cleaning job. My salary on this new job was ten thousand Naira a month. Here, there were months I got owed for. Sometimes I was owed for 3 to 4 months without salary, the salary payment wasn't regular as the organization relied on impress to pay me. So I don't get paid when impress don't come in. I was later converted to an office boy after my Boss found out that I was good with computers/gadgets generally. Even though I never had one myself. I ran errands, did their computer jobs, managed the internet facility etc. My salary was doubled(20k) afterwards. But I still got owed even worst this time around for months. It wasn't funny at all. It affected my education because I needed money to pay my fees even though the salaries wasn't enough to pay a semester's fee and buy course materials. Feeding well/transportation was a big issue. There were days I had walk down to the office.

It got even worse after the APC government took over power, impress stopped coming in for months. I was owed 2 years, I kept writing letters asking for my money, it hasn't been paid to me up until this very moment. My colleagues were really helpful during this period, they helped out financially the little way they could. I was jobless again.

I relocated to Abuja, stayed with an Aunt with the hope that I'll find a good job after my IT. I needed to have a connection to do my IT in an organization where IT students are paid for which I didn't have any, submitted several IT application letters at NNPC, CAC and many more. Never got called up. The one guy that wanted to help out, wanted something in return($ex with my Aunt). Luckily, she spoke with one of her friends about me who knew someone in one of these organizations and that was how I did my IT and was paid 10k/month for 6months. I was loved by everyone at my unit, I learn fast, I am proficient and a problem solver(pardon me I no dey brag). I was in the ICT unit(I am a computer geek - self-taught). I discovered something while I was with the organization, too many incompetent hands, little or no experience on the job yet with huge salaries as take home. They kept reassuring me that I was going to be employed because my expertise was needed but for where them no send me oh rather they employed their own over competence.

Abeg make I stop here jare. E too plenty to type out before my thumbs go get six packs.

Modified:
While in my trying phase, my brother paid my admission fee, 3 of colleagues(2 of them are late now) also paid my school fees on different occasions(may their souls rest in peace). My girlfriend too paid my fees a couple of times.

I've been through a lot in life and wouldn't want my kids to suffer too. And Naija isn't where I want to raise a family. The tribalism, hate and religious sentiments is too much, every region prefers an incompetent leader over a competent leader from another region and the cycle continues. Naija is going to self- implode further in few more years from now. Providing basic amenities is now a rocket science in this country, insecurities, unemployment, people are dying on a daily. How much is a life a common Nigerian worth?

I can't come and kee mysef.

I have my passport handy hopefully I'll abandon this Naija before this year runs out for God1000 to help me fix am... tongue

if you ask me, despite the poor renumeration, you never stayed long enough in any place to succeed. work on that, because you'll end up with the same result anywhere in the world. I'm saying this from experience. there are jobs, the benefits come after two years or ten years. identify such and stay.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 3:18pm On Feb 05, 2022
smasher1:

if you ask me, despite the poor renumeration, you never stayed long enough in any place to succeed. work on that, because you'll end up with the same result anywhere in the world. I'm saying this from experience. there are jobs, the benefits come after two years or ten years. identify such and stay.

Most of you on this thread lack comprehension. Smh
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by engrchykae(m): 3:48pm On Feb 05, 2022
sirp9898:
Hatred for Igbo's cause it
Nigeria is a gathering of useless self destruct blacks.
Gej had what it takes to move Nigeria forward but foolish hausas and yorubas are more interested in hating igbos.
The light of Africa

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by bepositive11: 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

I'm doing well now. Those were some of my life experiences.cool

That's great to hear. You should have also shared it in the original post. What are you doing now?
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by bepositive11: 3:59pm On Feb 05, 2022
richPHAROAH:
I have been to atleast 15 countries USA UK France Australia Singapore Japan inclusive. Naija is still the best. The people complaining are the rotten head peasants

That's interesting. Why do you say Naija is still the best?
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by whiteboyswag: 4:07pm On Feb 05, 2022
richPHAROAH:
I have been to atleast 15 countries USA UK France Australia Singapore Japan inclusive. Naija is still the best. The people complaining are the rotten head peasants
You must be in the circle of corrupt Nigerian I live in the US now I spent 35yrs in Nigeria before coming here . What I archived in 3yrs here in the US was not possible In 10yrs in Nigeria stop typing trash ok. For all reading this if you are a hard working person and life is difficult for you in Nigeria please leave come to USA, Canada, Ireland just any English speaking country I tell you your life after 5yrs will elevate drastically. I will be dropping my story on my journey leaving Nigeria for the US soon. I now have all I wanted and more in just barely 4yrs of relocating anybody that tells you there is nothing in Us or Canada is worse than a witch in ur village.

6 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by richPHAROAH: 4:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
whiteboyswag:
You must be in the circle of corrupt Nigerian I live in the US now I spent 35yrs in Nigeria before coming here . What I archived in 3yrs here in the US was not possible In 10yrs in Nigeria stop typing trash ok. For all reading this if you are a hard working person and life is difficult for you in Nigeria please leave come to USA, Canada, Ireland just any English speaking country I tell you your life after 5yrs will elevate drastically. I will be dropping my story on my journey leaving Nigeria for the US soon. I now have all I wanted and more in just barely 4yrs of relocating anybody that tells you there is nothing in Us or Canada is worse than a witch in ur village.
what I achieved in naija was not achieved in my 3 years in USA, 2 years in Canada and 4 years in Australia combined.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by richPHAROAH: 4:19pm On Feb 05, 2022
bepositive11:

That's interesting. Why do you say Naija is still the best?
the food, the freedom, the opportunities etc. What I make in naija is the same thing I will make in any country. I don't know why people over exaggerate these countries. The only thing I can complain about here is the health care
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Carlyboi(m): 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2022
Adebolamena:
Hmm... It is well..
Please I sell packaged chinchin.. Very tasty and crunchy.

What’s your location?
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Hiq0: 4:36pm On Feb 05, 2022
Just leave while you can
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by AlphaStyles(m): 4:44pm On Feb 05, 2022
Nigeria never show u shege thats why who go wan dy here dey suffer no jobs,no security,high cost of living,poor salary,sickness,poor power supply e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by bepositive11: 5:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
richPHAROAH:
the food, the freedom, the opportunities etc. What I make in naija is the same thing I will make in any country. I don't know why people over exaggerate these countries. The only thing I can complain about here is the health care

That's an interesting perspective. Not many share your view on nairaland. Thanks for sharing
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Cousin9999: 5:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
seyz91:
Baba stop saying this business shit, no be money person go take start business? undecided

You don't need money to start a business.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Cousin9999: 5:23pm On Feb 05, 2022
07kjb:

How do u guys feel comfortable in giving this type of advise?

There's no advice in the comment quoted, only an explanation as to how someone starts a business with little to no resources.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sherlock229(m): 6:06pm On Feb 05, 2022
Personally, I think i will stay in Nigeria, i hate how everyone look down on us around the world and accuses of running away from our mess. They're people in worst countries than nigeria and you don't see them running away as much as we do,I'm a 3d artist ,this job isn't really giving me what i want in this country for now,but I've had a share and made some connections,once you reach a spot your portfolio will speak for you, it's only a matter of time....

The only thing that might make me immigrate is the health care ,god forbid something alarming Happens to your health in this country,if you don't have money for pretigous hospitals, you're done for...

Many people have made it in Nigeria from scratch ,go to the north you will see young people making millions from farming, farming is very much needed in Nigeria, yes they're no jobs but you can always create one,just go online and study some courses programming , 3D art, General art...you can learn nearly anything online now... Tbh most things are not easy without help, i had help buying internets and stuff from my parents to the point where i started making my own money ,i understand why work like programming and 3d can't be possible for many in this country,it needs lots of time and practice and internet connections for 3d part ( a very good computer and lots of practice basically every -day if possible)

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by internationalman(m): 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2022
whiteboyswag:

Please bro mention me when you drop the story.. I'm an aspiring immigrant too.

I'm following you now
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Basher8583: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2022
NotBeenPaid:
So I came across this thread on FP and thought I write about myself a little.

https://www.nairaland.com/6969046/why-nigerians-desperate-leave-country

Just a brief timeline about my life hurdles. Not so much of a good writer, I don't talk too much. I am an introvert. So pardon my flaws. I know for sure that most persons go through a lot worse than this.

Like you I have always frowned against those leaving the country in droves. I felt like they were doing the country a de-service for not staying back to fix it together. But I was wrong all along.

....... How much is a life a common Nigerian worth?

I can't come and kee mysef.

I have my passport handy hopefully I'll abandon this Naija before this year runs out for God1000 to help me fix am... tongue

You no get money you dey maintain girlfriend. Its like you no get clear focus.
- Where did you see the money to obtain passport?
- Where you get money to buy smartphone and data?

From you post you appear to be very lazy. Nepotism is only a way of giving a convinent excuse.

Have you invested in any relevant IT certification or you prefer people decieving you by calling you "engineer".
Berra drop that your girlfriend and spend more money on upgrading your professional standing.

That was how I started my career. With ₦360k per year paying job to ₦3.9m. Currently I have moved up in the ladder of success and now earn a comfortable ₦22m per year. This was done in a span of 12yrs of focused and hard work. All done in Naija and I no no anyone. No nepotism.

The grass is only greener where you water it.

Be prepared to take advantage of every opportunity you see.

From you post you sound like you are lazy as fvck in Naija and you want to go abroad to do the work that are more demanding than what you experienced in Naija.
The money you make there will still be collected back by the same government there through housing and utilities. You think they like you?
Berra get proper advice before you enter one chance

This is my advice to you

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Basher8583: 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2022
richPHAROAH:

Bro you're right. But still abroad heath care is a premium service. Not cheap for the low - moderate income earner

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by richPHAROAH: 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2022
Basher8583:

Bro you're right. But still abroad heath care is a premium service. Not cheap for the low - moderate income earner
no bro, in most countries I have visited their citizens don't spend premium price to get premium health care. Even me as a foreigner, the help care was reasonably priced. That is the reason why the rich travel out to get up todate health care

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by richPHAROAH: 7:27pm On Feb 05, 2022
bepositive11:

That's an interesting perspective. Not many share your view on nairaland. Thanks for sharing
I didnt even want to add the tax. If I was abroad, the tax I will have paid alone will have crippled my finance
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Funkybabee(f): 7:45pm On Feb 05, 2022
God will settle us bro

This year Shall be our year of settlement

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by 1saed: 8:35pm On Feb 05, 2022
Instead of leaving this country

Why not start a daily contributions business

Here is an app you can use

Https://Thriftplus.pythonanywhere.com

Mathew

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sirp9898(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2022
Timmi:

Just like your kinsmen, you no get brain. Go and borrow one and then make a meaningful contribution
Continue to be hating Igbo's for nothing meaniful but don't expect something meaningful
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sirp9898(m): 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Aswear

The hatred is very very concentrated (very conk)

Including everything & anything related to or near Igbo. For example Nigerdelta region just bcoz of its proximity to the southeast region nothwithstanding the fact that majority of Nigeria revenue is gotten from crude oil drilled from the region. Go to civil service/government ministries u will see adults exhibiting pure hatred on their fellow countryman bcoz they are from this or that region. I just tire.

It is just a depression big for nothing country with one of the highest number of the most useless individuals. As in na yeye country.
Lol
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sirp9898(m): 8:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
CUMIN:

What has the ibo stares done differently for others to emulate
Igbo's can't do anything didffrent as long as they are still bound on this union.
The union that force everyone to remain in one idealogy ever year no positive change instead it is the negative one and you pretend to be happy y you re not but only resolve to complain that no one or leaders will listen to you.
The day you free ibos from your mind that is you have your true freedom

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sirp9898(m): 8:54pm On Feb 05, 2022
CUMIN:

What has the ibo stares done differently for others to emulate
Igbo's can't do anything didffrent as long as they are still bound on this union.
The union that force everyone to remain in one idealogy ever year no positive change instead it is the negative one and you pretend to be happy y you re not but only resolve to complain that no one or leaders will listen to you.
The day you free ibos from your mind that is day you will have your true freedom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Air Peace, Emirates, Turkish Airlines To Launch Flights From Port Harcourt / How God Saved My Life On Saturday / Justwise, Pls Help For Error In My Waec Result For Uk Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.