Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,474 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? (17134 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? / Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Timmi: 11:49am On Feb 05, 2022
sirp9898:
Hatred for Igbo's cause it

Just like your kinsmen, you no get brain. Go and borrow one and then make a meaningful contribution
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Awoleesu(m): 11:56am On Feb 05, 2022
I saw a Nigerian international passport resting against peanuts contained in a recycled bottle of Smirnoff cheesy
At the background was a couple of 500, 200, 100, 50 & 20 Naira notes, and a peeping gang of 40 Leaves exercise books!

OP, do you want this honorable court to admit these items as exhibits?

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by LIONSABRE(m): 11:57am On Feb 05, 2022
Even Nigeria wants to Leave Nigeria smiley
Who doesn't want better life?

It'S not just about money...

Its about security, good and affordable healthcare, functional system, AND peace.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:57am On Feb 05, 2022
I was chatting with a Calabar friend online;she said "she is working really hard to help fix the Zoo called Nigeria " I laughed so hard; I told her, you better go and help your communities and your family members first. She asked me why! I said nothing... She said, since we all ran away, who do we leave to fix the country; I told her, she should go and fix it and if anything happens to her in the process, my hard earned money will not get to her... Why on earth will you even think of fixing devil; those who tried it got swallowed up! Its good you move to another country, make the money peacefully and come back enjoying it with your family, friends and community! Japa anthem!
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:58am On Feb 05, 2022
I was chatting with a Calabar friend online;she said "she is working really hard to help fix the Zoo called Nigeria " I laughed so hard; I told her, you better go and help your communities and your family members first. She asked me why! I said nothing... She said, since we all ran away, who do we leave to fix the country; I told her, she should go and fix it and if anything happens to her in the process, my hard earned money will not get to her... Why on earth will you even think of fixing devil; those who tried it got swallowed up! Its good you move to another country, make the money peacefully and come back enjoying it with your family, friends and community! Japa anthem!

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Emmahunk(m): 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
See questions. Why does the moon rise from the East and set in the West?
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Brushstrokes20: 12:25pm On Feb 05, 2022
Singing in simi voice * May bimi ni jamb question *
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Snitch24(m): 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2022
Stupid question
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Brushstrokes20: 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2022
Rhetorical question!
.... Over the years hitherto, Good for nothing, bloodthirsty, self serving, sadistic, redundant, lifeless kleptomaniac rulers have destroyed the shithole beyond redemption undecided
Only a a miracle / red revolt can salvage the doomed contraption undecided

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by judedwriter(m): 12:36pm On Feb 05, 2022
I remember being at the passport office in 2016....

What I saw amazed me shocked

See Nigerians bustling and hustling to leave the country in their hundreds, or even thousands.

Nigeria has gone through the worst, I think against all odds, the best will eventually come.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 12:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
Kharol1234:
We are tired of Nigeria

How much you do your passport?
Make I they arrange money down

35k in Abuja
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by calcal: 12:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
leody:
Life generally ain't fear it just slightly better in the west.
With what have been through I use to sometimes wish I never exist.

mate, you are correct. that was what communism saw and was about to fix but the slave masters refused to let the slaves go.

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 12:44pm On Feb 05, 2022
Mayeldah:
It depends on what works for you, if leaving the country will help you make it please do. A lot o Nigerians are still doing well here and ain't thinking of leaving the country except for holidays.

@Op, be more selective next time, even in the face of no job still go for jobs that pays better and adds value to your life. It is better to remain jobless than take some demeaning jobs in this country.

I'm sure you didn't read the write up comprehensively. I was just an SSCE holder trying to further my education.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by mediainc: 12:45pm On Feb 05, 2022
Because other state governors of regions are just eating money, so the ones who can not make it in Lagos and Abuja, travel out to hustle.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2022
judedwriter:
I remember being at the passport office in 2016....

What I saw amazed me shocked

See Nigerians bustling and hustling to leave the country in their hundreds, or even thousands.

Nigeria has gone through the worst, I think against all odds, the best will eventually come.

The population at the office is crazy, I was gasping for fresh air.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
winterfell007:

grin grin. Omo see cruise. Please I need to join your association, don’t mind those idiots that still believes Nigeria will ever be better
Biggest Comrade in the house, your nigga dey hustle flight ticket like this.

We go call you once we cross over.

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Neddstark: 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
Nigeria is working but for a few. The rest wanna leave. But i will never leave to wash plate or clean toilet in another man's country. I know someone who bends down for white men to dog him from behind to survive in Europe.

3 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by dododawa1: 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2022
I don't know what to say
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Elsueno: 12:59pm On Feb 05, 2022
I am still confused how a country blessed with
Oil
Gold
Uranium
Countless minerals
Huge youthful & talented population

Be sooo corrupt!! Full of incompetent leadership.......U know, Nigeria was supposed to be the biggest, richest & most influential technologically advanced black nation on earth... A country where blacks from around d world would rush to settle & rush citizenship.....but instead.....sigh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Elsueno: 1:04pm On Feb 05, 2022
silverkings:
Before 30.. I pray to leave here. 27 now

If u got the talent, Japa woh....a colleague of ours who graduated with first class tried his best to get a job in Nigeria but couldn't, like joke he applied for scholarship abroad, d oyinbos pick am sharp sharp, dat was 5 years ago

3 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by ufotunang: 1:04pm On Feb 05, 2022
When they is himger, poverty, hardship, unemployment....why won't people not Japa of the country
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Missionaire: 1:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
Why make sacrifices for a country that does not genuinely appreciate genuine efforts and sacrifices?
Why continue to believe in a country that does not believe in you?
Why live in a country whose system is created with the sole purpose of frustrating you?
Why die for a country that does not live for you?

We never asked for much. We only asked for the enabling environment for us to spread our wings of innovation and technology and soar above poverty and mediocrity.
We provide our own power, our own security, water etc.
No good roads, no access to quality education and health services.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing that this country has gotten right since it gained independence in 1960.
There is nothing we can boast about. No light, no functional refineries, no functional steel factory, no good road, no access to quality education and health services etc. Nothing.

We have extrajudicial killings and police brutality rampant in this country.
The Nigerian Police has killed more bright, innocent and hardworking Nigerian youths with immense potentials more than bandits.
Innovation is impeded by the leaders of this nation. High cost of running businesses. Taxes and harrasments by Government agencies at all levels.

Banditry, Cultism, Militancy, and terrorism everywhere and today news of 30 people being killed in a day is no more strange to many of us.
The life of the average Nigerian has lost value.

The leaders who encourage us to believe in this country are sending their kids and spouses abroad for education, medicals and vacation. They have dual citizenship and properties abroad and so they can leave anytime. This should tell us something.
They don't care if we and our future children school in dilalipated classrooms and schools without functional labs or that we sit at home for months because of strike. They have secured the destinies and future of their loved ones and now they can afford to play ping-pong with the lives of ordinary Nigerian (youths).

The system rewards those who are immoral and corrupt and frustrates those who are moral and law abiding.
Tribalism, Religious intolerance and Nepotism are the order of the day.
Those of us who are wise are few and the foolish ones who are more are only interested in supporting leaders who would take is backward because of religious and tribal affiliations.

Somedays, I imagine what life would have been for me if my parents or grandparents had migrated to the US or UK.
I don't want my children to imagine these things. I rather migrate to the UK and US and do slave work so that my children can be born in an environment where their potentials would not be inhibited or destroyed than stay here to give birth to children who would someday question what kind of father they had who could not make sacrifices for them.

If the only thing I achieve in this life is leaving this hell hole and giving birth to children abroad, my future generations would do an enlargement of my picture and inscribe on it thus "This be our ancestor and partriach who through his sacrifice enable us to enjoy the benefits of being in a functioning society."

May the gods of our lands punish all our leaders both past and present who had the opportunities to make things right in this country but chose not to.
May their heads be shaved with a blunt razor.

Tueeh!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by seyz91(m): 1:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
You said it all
habsydiamond:
Simply because the country is not giving back to them.. They said go to school we went,but at the end what do we get.. Nothing! No job no wages no salaries. Dey said pay tax we pay but at the end what do we get bad roads, epileptic power supply, no good water, no good health care. Dey say vote in leaders we vote but at the end wetin we get Na embezzlement, Corruption, bad leadership, promise and fail and so on.. Shikena

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by seyz91(m): 1:11pm On Feb 05, 2022
Baba stop saying this business shit, no be money person go take start business? undecided
Cousin9999:
I'm not in any way trying to be dismissive of your experience, but have you ever tried to start any kind of business?
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by planetx: 1:12pm On Feb 05, 2022
Don't out of desperation japa to countries like Ukraine , South Africa and Malaysia even Europe is no longer the same for African migrants.

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Baamm(m): 1:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
NotBeenPaid:
So I came across this thread on FP and thought I write about myself a little.

https://www.nairaland.com/6969046/why-nigerians-desperate-leave-country

Just a brief timeline about my life hurdles. Not so much of a good writer, I don't talk too much. I am an introvert. So pardon my flaws. I know for sure that most persons go through a lot worse than this.

Like you I have always frowned against those leaving the country in droves. I felt like they were doing the country a de-service for not staying back to fix it together. But I was wrong all along.

Over the years as time went by after my SSCE, I was out on the street looking to make ends meet. I did a couple of menial jobs to survive. I was a sales boy in a little chemist for a couple of months but the pay was too little and so I left.

Then got another job in a fast-food restaurant as a waiter, worked round the clock for just eight thousand naira salary a month. In some months I got paid less or nothing due to shortages(those who have worked in these places know this). I was relieved of my job by the new Manager because I complained he added more task for me to do aside being waiter, I also controlled traffic within the premises, I drained out water from the soak away everyday after close of work all for just 8k a month. I was jobless for a couple months again.

Then I got another job in a club and the salary was eight thousand Naira a month. The CEO made us report to work 2pm everyday and closes 3-4am sometimes and we had no off days. He maltreated us real bad. I could remember vivid how he slapped me when he found me in the kitchen, and he wouldn't let me explain why I was taking a quick break was because I had blisters on both feet from walking around and attending to too many customers. I was completely worn out. He later relieved me of my job because of this. I became jobless again.

Then I found another job with a construction company (CCECC). Purely manual labour, here I was paid five hundred and sixty Naira a day which excluded Sundays... I resumed 7am and closed 5pm everyday. I couldn't keep up with the workload so I had to quit after 2 weeks. I was jobless again for a couple of months.

Found another job with a cleaning company. They were contracted to clean up the teaching hospital. So we were employed, we were paired 3 per units. In mine was a block in it had about 15 offices or more I think, that we had to clean up every single day. There were days too we did industrial cleaning in a newly opened block. Resumed 6am and closed 6pm everyday. Salary was just ten thousand Naira a month. Transportation alone to and fro was six thousand Naira a month. Leaving me with four thousand Naira as take home. There were also days I survived on just biscuits and water or saturated garri with groundnuts(Sipping garri). I was looking so unkempt, defeated, a walking skeleton. While on this job I got a call from a friend's Mom that her organization(State government) was looking for a cleaner.

I applied within and I got the job, so I left the other cleaning job. My salary on this new job was ten thousand Naira a month. Here, there were months I got owed for. Sometimes I was owed for 3 to 4 months without salary, the salary payment wasn't regular as the organization relied on impress to pay me. So I don't get paid when impress don't come in. I was later converted to an office boy after my Boss found out that I was good with computers/gadgets generally. Even though I never had one myself. I ran errands, did their computer jobs, managed the internet facility etc. My salary was doubled(20k) afterwards. But I still got owed even worst this time around for months. It wasn't funny at all. It affected my education because I needed money to pay my fees even though the salaries wasn't enough to pay a semester's fee and buy course materials. Feeding well/transportation was a big issue. There were days I had walk down to the office.

It got even worse after the APC government took over power, impress stopped coming in for months. I was owed 2 years, I kept writing letters asking for my money, it hasn't been paid to me up until this very moment. My colleagues were really helpful during this period, they helped out financially the little way they could. I was jobless again.

I relocated to Abuja, stayed with an Aunt with the hope that I'll find a good job after my IT. I needed to have a connection to do my IT in an organization where IT students are paid for which I didn't have any, submitted several IT application letters at NNPC, CAC and many more. Never got called up. The one guy that wanted to help out, wanted something in return($ex with my Aunt). Luckily, she spoke with one of her friends about me who knew someone in one of these organizations and that was how I did my IT and was paid 10k/month for 6months. I was loved by everyone at my unit, I learn fast, I am proficient and a problem solver(pardon me I no dey brag). I was in the ICT unit(I am a computer geek - self-taught). I discovered something while I was with the organization, too many incompetent hands, little or no experience on the job yet with huge salaries as take home. They kept reassuring me that I was going to be employed because my expertise was needed but for where them no send me oh rather they employed their own over competence.

Abeg make I stop here jare. E too plenty to type out before my thumbs go get six packs.

Modified:
While in my trying phase, my brother paid my admission fee, 3 of colleagues(2 of them are late now) also paid my school fees on different occasions(may their souls rest in peace). My girlfriend too paid my fees a couple of times.

I've been through a lot in life and wouldn't want my kids to suffer too. And Naija isn't where I want to raise a family. The tribalism, hate and religious sentiments is too much, every region prefers an incompetent leader over a competent leader from another region and the cycle continues. Naija is going to self- implode further in few more years from now. Providing basic amenities is now a rocket science in this country, insecurities, unemployment, people are dying on a daily. How much is a life a common Nigerian worth?

I can't come and kee mysef.

I have my passport handy hopefully I'll abandon this Naija before this year runs out for God1000 to help me fix am... tongue
Honestly Nigeria is easy to live in but there is no dignity of labor coupled with the high insecurity in the country

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Karleb(m): 1:28pm On Feb 05, 2022
People that have never suffered in this country or those that have benefitted from the corruption would want people like OP to stay behind.

But for people that have experienced artificial hardship even with their money, they understand how important it is to leave this shit hole even if they don't want to leave.
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by pacespot(m): 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2022
Nigeria is just way too stressful, thanks to the society that emboldens evil people. There are two things very difficult to avoid in this country, people that you oppress and those who are trying to oppress you. Even if you say you don't want to oppress people, the same people that you don't want to oppress will also try to oppress you. The whole situation is just way too stressful for a right thinking person.

3 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Techguy96(m): 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2022
leody:

. . A Russian frnd also said this he said when he got to Russia people just live normally . they just go to work ,go to store ,then back home .
No big big cars to impress people , no oppression, no tribalism,he even told me he has never for once experienced racism and he has been there since 2018 .
Nigeria is not it honestly..
Funny enough most Nigerians are not asking for big cars or anything, we just want to earn a comfortable life, but this country will not allow us.

4 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Spherical77(m): 1:31pm On Feb 05, 2022
Elsueno:

If u got the talent, Japa woh....a colleague of ours who graduated with first class tried his best to get a job in Nigeria but couldn't, like joke he applied for scholarship abroad, d oyinbos pick am sharp sharp, dat was 5 years ago
Nawa o, we wey get strong 2.1 no get hope be that o.. as we no get job, scholarship sef na war! This life don tire person i swear

1 Like

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 05, 2022
Elsueno:
I am still confused how a country blessed with
Oil
Gold
Uranium
Countless minerals

Huge youthful & talented population

Be sooo corrupt!! Full of incompetent leadership.......U know, Nigeria was supposed to be the biggest, richest & most influential technologically advanced black nation on earth... A country where blacks from around d world would rush to settle & rush citizenship.....but instead.....sigh
All the crossed out points should be removed from the equation because those are what are killing nations with useless leaders.

As for talents, hmmmm...it is in the olden days I can say Nigerians are talented. Well, I know we are smart, but hmmmm. The present GenZs have their ways. I used to think they are lazy, but really, they have a lifestyle so unique. I make friends with them so well now.

Talent without developing it is a waste. Talent is potential energy. We need force to push it to kinetic. If I was tasked to solve the problem of Nigeria, bro/sis, human capital is what I would focus on. I would focus on yahoo boys. They are highly resourceful honestly. My mission is to create what is legal and similar to what they do and they make similar reward. That is it. Everyone will move into the legal online businesses. I mean, it is online business they do. So, I would introduce legal online business. Let them sit down and face it. I would create all over Nigeria centers they can use computers free and 24/7 electricity. Let the runs start. Let apps developers come on board. Let digital marketers come on board, and them young CEOs come on board too. Then, let them move around and scout for ideas to turn to gold. A center where investors are ready with money will be created. Those investors would start watching the game. Na football game na. If dem find a young Ronaldo, make dem come discuss with me. Young Ronaldo and his team members too know I would be their backbone. Na so oooo. By the time Naija boys flood play store with powerful apps, Samsung, Tesla, Amazon, and other big companies will start scouting for talents. But the leaders we have are useless. Walahi. Oh! If I had such opportunity, walahi...I would rearrange the whole Naija and youths sef go enjoy. Before you know it, all those Tinubu, MC Oluomo, Fayemi, El Rufai, and other old ones cannot use money buy them again. How na? When boys can fly drone to tackle them during election...when girls can have tech eyes and monitor electoral process..and dem have their own money...how will they bribe talents?

Brother/sister, God will make a way for you. If youths keep relying on our leaders...hmmmm. I pray God will open ways for everyone. Honestly, I love Nigeria, but I am getting tired myself. I am tired. I am tired. I am tired.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

It got even worse after the APC government took over power, impress stopped coming in for months. I was owed 2 years, I kept writing letters asking for my money, it hasn't been paid to me up until this very moment. My colleagues were really helpful during this period, they helped out financially the little way they could. I was jobless again.

I relocated to Abuja, stayed with an Aunt with the hope that I'll find a good job after my IT. I needed to have a connection to do my IT in an organization where IT students are paid for which I didn't have any, submitted several IT application letters at NNPC, CAC and many more. Never got called up. The one guy that wanted to help out, wanted something in return($ex with my Aunt). Luckily, she spoke with one of her friends about me who knew someone in one of these organizations and that was how I did my IT and was paid 10k/month for 6months. I was loved by everyone at my unit, I learn fast, I am proficient and a problem solver(pardon me I no dey brag). I was in the ICT unit(I am a computer geek - self-taught). I discovered something while I was with the organization, too many incompetent hands, little or no experience on the job yet with huge salaries as take home. They kept reassuring me that I was going to be employed because my expertise was needed but for where them no send me oh rather they employed their own over competence.

Abeg make I stop here jare. E too plenty to type out before my thumbs go get six packs.

Modified:
While in my trying phase, my brother paid my admission fee, 3 of colleagues(2 of them are late now) also paid my school fees on different occasions(may their souls rest in peace). My girlfriend too paid my fees a couple of times.

I have my passport handy hopefully I'll abandon this Naija before this year runs out for God1000 to help me fix am... tongue

I had a discussion with my friend who is doing PhD in Canada through scholarship. He did a joint masters in 2 different countries in Europe and he told me something.

In Europe, they run a sort of system that ensures that its difficult for anyone to get too rich by increasing taxes as ones income increases. They use this money to help people who are poor or have nothing. So suffering is reduced.
In America, the system is designed in such a way that it can be exploited by the rich to get richer, so it's easy to get too rich in the US. According to him, the system in the US is very similar to that of Nigeria but you what the difference is?

Hardwork is rewarded

In Nigeria, your generation can remain poor no matter how hard you work. In the US, you can continously move up the social ladder by just working harder and in a 2 or 3 generations, your offsprings could be among the upper middle class.

I used to believe that I can come back to this country to contribute my quota after about 3-5 years of work abroad. That mentally has changed so much that I plan to live out the rest of my life abroad. I will go legally and I will contribute my quota to their economy. All this country has done to me is take take take but has never given me any thing. Those who believe in salvaging things should do so quietly and allow we tht want to leave to leave.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Air Peace, Emirates, Turkish Airlines To Launch Flights From Port Harcourt / How God Saved My Life On Saturday / Justwise, Pls Help For Error In My Waec Result For Uk Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.