Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,250 members, 7,815,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria (19911 Views)

Oyo Government Reacts To Ibadan Explosion, Urges Residents To Remain Calm / 1 Million Dollars To Remain In Naija Vs 5000$ To Japa. Pick One / US Reciprocity Visa Fees To Remain, Despite FG Turnaround - Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2022
Hi guys,

I was planning to travel out to UK, Germany or any other stable European country for my Master`s by September of this year of which i will be able to raise 2million from my pocket and then borrow about 2/3million from a person i know for some fees then get there are do part times jobs to complete my tuition fee.

After some thoughts, i realized this wasn`t a really smart move cos i have a good job here in Nigeria where I'm paid above 200k each month, This will increase to above 300k in the next 2months still with some bonuses.

Is there any sense in dropping all these to go to a place of uncertainty and start leaving from hand to mouth cos i`d be struggling to pay my debt and tuition??

One of the driving forces towards wanting to travel out is the fear of 2023 elections and the fact that many of my friends we finished together are all travelling out. Yeah, i know the second reason doesn't make sense, but that`s just me being honest here.

My plan now is to keep working here in Nigeria probably for about 3/4 years more, live the baby boy life, develop relevant skills then get a job over there or go for an MBA. 3/4 years from now i should have saved more than 2million for travel.

Also note i will be turning 26 towards the end of the year, so i think there`s still a bit of time on my end.

I need advice from you guys, is this a sensible idea putting into consideration things that could go wrong pre/post elections, the current standard of living in Lagos and the current and future exchange rates.

I have noticed the crazy rush to leave the country among we youths but i have also noticed that those that have good paying jobs in multinationals, fintechs, banks, govt etc are not bothered about leaving the country. Also noticed most of my friends who left were all earning less than 100k in salary.

Please tell me what y`all think??

Mods in case reactions are much, abeg push to Front page

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Dawn91(m): 12:08pm On Feb 07, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

I was planning to travel out to UK, Germany or any other stable European country for my Master`s by September of this year of which i will be able to raise 2million from my pocket and then borrow about 2/3million from a person i know for some fees then get there are do part times jobs to complete my tuition fee.

After some thoughts, i realized this wasn`t a really smart move cos i have a good job here in Nigeria where I'm paid above 200k each month, This will increase to above 300k in the next 2months still with some bonuses.

Is there any sense in dropping all these to go to a place of uncertainty and start leaving from hand to mouth cos i`d be struggling to pay my debt and tuition??

One of the driving forces towards wanting to travel out is the fear of 2023 elections and the fact that many of my friends we finished together are all travelling out. Yeah, i know the second reason doesn't make sense, but that`s just me being honest here.

My plan now is to keep working here in Nigeria probably for about 3/4 years more, live the baby boy life, develop relevant skills then get a job over there or go for an MBA. 3/4 years from now i should have saved more than 2million for travel.

Also note i will be turning 26 towards the end of the year, so i think there`s still a bit of time on my end.

I need advice from you guys, is this a sensible idea putting into consideration things that could go wrong pre/post elections, the current standard of living in Lagos and the current and future exchange rates.

I have noticed the crazy rush to leave the country among we youths but i have also noticed that those that have good paying jobs in multinationals, fintechs, banks, govt etc are not bothered about leaving the country. Also noticed most of my friends who left were all earning less than 100k in salary.

I suggest you go, because even though president Buhari means well for Nigeria unfortunately he is surrounded by rouges.

Just remember where ever you are

Amaechi Zulum 2023

When it's time vote , mobilize people for truth and better Nigeria

Shun those who ordered a massacre at Lekki then denied it

Amaechi Zulum 2023

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by dawnomike(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

You have goods points for having a second thoughts... But if i may ask; how secured is your job?
I think you should work a bit longer to save more rather than borrow.
No matter what you do, leave this country... 200k to 300k salary in Lagos may soon not be enough for you if you mistakenly get married and give births in Nigeria of tomorrow.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Coly2012(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2022
If it's traveling out? Yes, go.
If it's borrowing to travel? No

Just save for more years and get out of this country.

As you are still young and single make every conscious effort to minimize expenses, with your salary you will be good to go on your own September 2023. Don't rush to be indebt... Good luck

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 1:59pm On Feb 07, 2022
dawnomike:
You have goods points for having a second thoughts... But if i may ask; how secured is your job?
I think you should work a bit longer to save more rather than borrow.
No matter what you do, leave this country... 200k to 300k salary in Lagos may soon not be enough for you if you mistakenly get married and give births in Nigeria of tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. I work in a bank, and my job is quite secure.
About marriage or children, those two are quite far from my plans as at now.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 2:01pm On Feb 07, 2022
Coly2012:
If it's traveling out? Yes, go.
If it's borrowing to travel? No

Just save for more years and get out of this country.

As you are still young and single make every conscious effort to minimize expenses, with your salary you will be good to go on your own September 2023. Don't rush to be indebt... Good luck

Thank you, i really don`t think it makes sense to borrow so much for studies. but then the year 2023 is still scary
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Donbaba123: 2:18pm On Feb 07, 2022
[sub][/sub]
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

Op if you can't take the RISK you won't be RICH.. You can try some European schools with ur 2m though u might not earn much but you will have peace of mind and free from debt.

8 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Limassol(m): 3:30pm On Feb 07, 2022
Your forsight is quite admirable, yet i think you should know these. Firstly, you are strapped for cash. Running an Msc in Germany will cost you around 8 m (cheap due to free tuition), you will need nearly double that for the UK. Secondly, considering the raging inflation, salary of 250k ain't much, infact it could be argued that you are barely getting by, you are likely to earn way higher in abroad with a good c.v., don't let the crumbs you earm cloud you from seeing the big picture. Make hay while the sun shines... Thirdly, delay is probably dangerous. i suggest you move soon as things are changing rapidly and countries (mostly rich) are tightening the bolts on immigration. Furthermore, weakening of the Naira means immigrating is more expensive. The earlier you pack your bags and leave the better as the country seems unlikely to get better anytime soon.

110 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Coly2012(m): 10:03pm On Feb 07, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

Thank you, i really don`t think it makes sense to borrow so much for studies. but then the year 2023 is still scary

Never mind 2023, The just shall live by faith. Just be focus

3 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 7:59am On Feb 08, 2022
Donbaba123:
[sub][/sub]

Op if you can't take the RISK you won't be RICH.. You can try some European schools with ur 2m though u might not earn much but you will have peace of mind and free from debt.

I don`t want to migrate to just any European country, i need a place with very large economy and opportunities like UK and Germany.
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 8:01am On Feb 08, 2022
Limassol:
Your forsight is quite admirable, yet i think you should know these. Firstly, you are strapped for cash. Running an Msc in Germany will cost you around 8 m (cheap due to free tuition), you will need nearly double that for the UK. Secondly, considering the raging inflation, salary of 250k ain't much, infact it could be argued that you are barely getting by, you are likely to earn way higher in abroad with a good c.v., don't let the crumbs you earm cloud you from seeing the big picture. Make hay while the sun shines... Thirdly, delay is probably dangerous. i suggest you move soon as things are changing rapidly and countries (mostly rich) are tightening the bolts on immigration. Furthermore, weakening of the Naira means immigrating is more expensive. The earlier you pack your bags and leave the better as the country seems unlikely to get better anytime soon.

Thanks, truly my salary as at now is nothing to write about. After rent, feeding and very little savings there is always nothing left. Might just work towards Germany for next year but i don`t think i`d be going this year.

4 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Blurpy: 8:14am On Feb 08, 2022
Save up more

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Originalsly: 2:38pm On Feb 08, 2022
Your friends that left ... how are they really doing abroad? The money you have saved ... and plan to borrow .... how much will be left on arriving abroad?... can you really afford school fees? Would you have working papers?... are there jobs available?... for you? If you're still in contact ... again... find out how your friends are really doing. Abroad has changed a lot thanks to COVID-19 and its mandates. My advice is to keep your job .... whichever country you choose .... visit first and get a first hand feel of the place. The grass always looks greener on the other side... is it?.... will it be for you? Yet again ... how are your friends doing abroad?

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Unibenfucker(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

I don`t want to migrate to just any European country, i need a place with very large economy and opportunities like UK and Germany.

You need about 6.5M-6.8M for Germany masters

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Charles61: 3:45pm On Feb 08, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

Thanks for your input. I work in a bank, and my job is quite secure.
About marriage or children, those two are quite far from my plans as at now.

Bank job secure ?
Make I Waka, even Government job no dey secure anymore for Nigeria. As long as there is change of government

4 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by JapaProfessor: 5:57pm On Feb 08, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

A study visa is your best bet.

3 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Ibk2020: 6:10pm On Feb 08, 2022
My advice:

Japa ooo,
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by LesbianBoy(m): 6:20pm On Feb 08, 2022
Dawn91:

I suggest you go, because even though president Buhari means well for Nigeria unfortunately he is surrounded by rouges.

Just remember where ever you are

Amaechi Zulum 2023

When it's time vote , mobilize people for truth and better Nigeria

Shun those who ordered a massacre at Lekki then denied it

Amaechi Zulum 2023

People like you are part of the reason youths are japaing. So you actually believe buhari is not 'kwarupt' too abi?

To nack you jazz dey hungry me angry

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by nickvanilla(m): 8:05am On Feb 09, 2022
@BrodaAgbaya.

Human instinct is very strong. It's only a fool that would ignore it. The fact that you have already taken steps to borrow money from someone tells a lot. You know how precarious it is trying to build a future in this country.

300k is not enough to make you banish the idea of travelling out. I know many people who were earning above that and they left. Today they have better jobs abroad, while living in a sane environment. This country is so unstable. Get yourself out and try to rescue your immediate family.

31 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by HRprof: 10:35am On Feb 09, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

Why are you afraid of 2023 election? Did you foresee any war? Hope you are not a prophet of doom or rather using this as an excuse to Japa.
Well in this era of remote work I don’t see any reason why people still want to enslave themselves in a foreign land . My advise is to develop yourself on any remote work skill and live comfortable anywhere you are.
Don’t let anyone deceive you is raining everywhere. There are homeless people in USA, Paris etc I have seen.
Listen to foreign news like Ajazera and EuroNews . Travel to visit the country you wish to migrate to before you make that decision to avoid engaging yourself to illegal means of survival.
My 2 cents

26 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Skybridge33: 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
Why leave only to go and suffer abroad, you won't get a decent job there and your bills will be very high. What's your business with elections are you the one contesting, just live your life .

I know so many people suffering and washing dishes in Germany. Living in public houses full of black people and it gets crazy cold not to mention racist attacks, use your sense op develop yourself it's easier to make it here than there

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 9:51am On Feb 10, 2022
Originalsly:
Your friends that left ... how are they really doing abroad? The money you have saved ... and plan to borrow .... how much will be left on arriving abroad?... can you really afford school fees? Would you have working papers?... are there jobs available?... for you? If you're still in contact ... again... find out how your friends are really doing. Abroad has changed a lot thanks to COVID-19 and its mandates. My advice is to keep your job .... whichever country you choose .... visit first and get a first hand feel of the place. The grass always looks greener on the other side... is it?.... will it be for you? Yet again ... how are your friends doing abroad?

Thanks, well they appear to be doing well abroad. They all went via the study route so i don`t think anyone has a steady job yet. I will find out more info about their standard of living.

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 9:56am On Feb 10, 2022
Skybridge33:
Why leave only to go and suffer abroad, you won't get a decent job there and your bills will be very high. What's your business with elections are you the one contesting, just live your life .

I know so many people suffering and washing dishes in Germany. Living in public houses full of black people and it gets crazy cold not to mention racist attacks, use your sense op develop yourself it's easier to make it here than there

Actually very little places experience racism in Germany, i know for sure you`d hardly ever experience racism in Munich or Berlin. But i get your point though. thanks

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2022
nickvanilla:
@BrodaAgbaya.

Human instinct is very strong. It's only a fool that would ignore it. The fact that you have already taken steps to borrow money from someone tells a lot. You know how precarious it is trying to build a future in this country.

300k is not enough to make you banish the idea of travelling out. I know many people who were earning above that and they left. Today they have better jobs abroad, while living in a sane environment. This country is so unstable. Get yourself out and try to rescue your immediate family.

I have not borrowed the money yet, but it has been assured. I am not banishing the idea but thinking of pushing it forward by some years at least till i can go without having to borrow and probably maybe by getting a job over there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by BrodaAgbaya: 9:59am On Feb 10, 2022
HRprof:

Why are you afraid of 2023 election? Did you foresee any war? Hope you are not a prophet of doom or rather using this as an excuse to Japa.
Well in this era of remote work I don’t see any reason why people still want to enslave themselves in a foreign land . My advise is to develop yourself on any remote work skill and live comfortable anywhere you are.
Don’t let anyone deceive you is raining everywhere. There are homeless people in USA, Paris etc I have seen.
Listen to foreign news like Ajazera and EuroNews . Travel to visit the country you wish to migrate to before you make that decision to avoid engaging yourself to illegal means of survival.
My 2 cents

Thanks for your cents grin. I never foresee any war oh, but i get your point well though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by okoIYAyin(m): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2022
Charles61:

Bank job secure ?
Make I Waka, even Government job no dey secure anymore for Nigeria. As long as there is change of government

Some of you just like to talk somehow! Government job is not secure bawo, so you're saying a new government will comes and start sacking people? lol, unless you tender fake credentials for the job sha. And also, most of you needs to stop this silly mindset, like the country will totally collapse after 2023, it just doesn't make any sense.

Back to topic, hey OP, i wouldn't advise you to take a loan for travelling out as you don't know what the future holds for you in the country you're going to. So, first of all you literally don't have enough money atm to move to a better country unless you don't mind the small european one's, you should continue saving as much as you can and move when you have enough.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Charles61: 12:43pm On Feb 10, 2022
okoIYAyin:

Some of you just like to talk somehow! Government job is not secure bawo, so you're saying a new government will comes and start sacking people? lol, unless you tender fake credentials for the job sha. And also, most of you needs to stop this silly mindset, like the country will totally collapse after 2023, it just doesn't make any sense.

Back to topic, hey OP, i wouldn't advise you to take a loan for travelling out as you don't know what the future holds for you in the country you're going to. So, first of all you literally don't have enough money atm to move to a better country unless you don't mind the small european one's, you should continue saving as much as you can and move when you have enough.

See FG talking
Like you re not in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by benpedro(m): 12:57pm On Feb 10, 2022
I left Nigeria in 2015 and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life. The peace of mind, clean environment, water, food, health care, being surrounded by civilized people, no generator noise and a better future for your unborn kids. Did I forget to mention that this is my 7th year here and I've not taken any malaria pill! grin Like the posters above advised, that your 300k salary is nothing compared to the peace of mind you'll get abroad. And what is more, you'll earn more if not more than double what you currently earn . So bro, if you're not an educated norther/Muslim find a way and leave that God forsaken country as soon as possible. Do not procrastinate!

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by HRprof: 6:53pm On Feb 10, 2022
benpedro:
I left Nigeria in 2015 and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life. The peace of mind, clean environment, water, food, health care, being surrounded by civilized people, no generator noise and a better future for your unborn kids. Did I forget to mention that this is my 7th year here and I've not taken any malaria pill! grin Like the posters above advised, that your 300k salary is nothing compared to the peace of mind you'll get abroad. And what is more, you'll earn more if not more than double what you currently earn . So bro, if you're not an educated norther/Muslim find a way and leave that God forsaken country as soon as possible. Do not procrastinate!

How much are you earning currently and how much do you spend ? Yes they have better environment and you have peace of mind but not 100% (racist ) meanwhile most Nigerians are not travelling for peace of mind, they want greener pasture and is not as easy as you said otherwise Nigerians wouldn't be committing crime abroad.
I weep for this country because the youths that supposed to take over government and fix the country are the one running away and keep blaming the old people in leadership forgotten that the youths contribute to the development of that country they are running to. Our mumu suppose don do by now

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Anny4me: 8:21pm On Feb 10, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

I have not borrowed the money yet, but it has been assured. I am not banishing the idea but thinking of pushing it forward by some years at least till i can go without having to borrow and probably maybe by getting a job over there.
I will suggest u stay for a while and save towards it. The truth is that naija is not secure but don't be in a rush to go since u already have a job doing. Even me advicing u have plans to run. Despite my age n family. But working towards it. Just be patient and plan towards saving a lot on it

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Decentdave(m): 8:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
You earn 300k and u think u are earning well,I and my wife earns over 800k a month, yet we are planning to leave soon.I have a friend who was a supervisor in and oil exploration firm earning above 1.5m ,he resigned to Canada after obtaining PR.He is always grateful taking the decision. I will tell u from what they say ,peace of mind is priceless coupled with survival upon Basic Jobs.over there You become whatever you want anytime .Atleast always think of your future children. Nigeria is becoming inhabitable for us to live,ranging from Terrorism, Banditry, kidnapping, and now money ritual everywhere. No where is safe in Nigeria .even with your money your are not safe.My brother I will advise you now that you are young. If you see opportunities to migrate to a good country better go o.ALSO dnt forget Nigeria has a very slim future ranging from very poor economic sector and high arising debt.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by benpedro(m): 11:27pm On Feb 10, 2022
You really want me to help you fix Nigeria when you intentionally voted Buhari, a man who couldn't present his certificate in 2015 election, simply because he is a Fulani muslim with a yoruba VP? You rejected world class minds like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and Peter Obi because they're Igbos.
2023 is on the way and you're already gearing up for Tinubu a Muslim. � Go to most federal agencies and you'll be shocked at the level of nepotism going on there. Sir, Nigeria belongs to the educated Muslims/northerners and we're now leaving it for them to do as they please. Have already received my citizenship here where they don't discriminate against me because I'm igbo and guess what, I only enter Nigeria with my foreign passport ���
HRprof:

How much are you earning currently and how much do you spend ? Yes they have better environment and you have peace of mind but not 100% (racist ) meanwhile most Nigerians are not travelling for peace of mind, they want greener pasture and is not as easy as you said otherwise Nigerians wouldn't be committing crime abroad.
I weep for this country because the youths that supposed to take over government and fix the country are the one running away and keep blaming the old people in leadership forgotten that the youths contribute to the development of that country they are running to. Our mumu suppose don do by now

29 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Truck Collides With 2 Cars At Obanikoro Bustop Lagos (photos) / Mercer: Lagos Ranked 8th Most Expensive City In Africa, 47th In The World / Kano-port Harcourt Train Passengers Narrowly Escape Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.