Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,053 members, 7,835,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

My Sister Seeks Your Advice - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Sister Seeks Your Advice (15982 Views)

My Sister And Her Husband / My Sister Just Lost Her Job / Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by fikayormi(m): 2:22pm On Feb 07, 2022
Any of her dream course

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by shedy03(m): 2:22pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:
My sister is writing her JAMB this year.

Here is her Waec result.

English: C4
Maths:B3
Chemistry: B2
Physics: C5
Biology:C4
Islamic:B3
Yoruba:C4
Civic:B2
Animal Husbandry: C4

Which course is best for her?

Encourage her to go for engineering.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by rajiedreez: 2:25pm On Feb 07, 2022
Medicine and surgery

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by khalids: 2:27pm On Feb 07, 2022
Farming.....

According to our dear presido
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by bahaushe1: 2:28pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

She can go for any science based course. She has the 5 credits requirement for all most science based course.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 07, 2022
shedy03:

Encourage her to go for engineering.

Thank you bro.

But which Engineering?

I heard that Engineering very wide.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
bahaushe1:

She can go for any science based course. She has the 5 credits requirement for all most science based course.

That's why I find it tricky.

I don't know which specific course will suit her.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by airsaylongcome: 2:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

This is a good result. She can literally study any science course. Would have been good if she had Economics to give her a Social Science option.

My advice would be for her to study a an excellent course that a lot.of Nigerians don't go into. Statistics. Or better Still Computer Science with Statistics or vice versa. The ultimate aim would be for her to get into Data Science field. While in school she should be taking up Udemy or Coursera courses in Data Science. She can then target remote internships in Data Science. Easily earn US$5k entry level job if she has really developed herself whole studying for her degree

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Blissbath(f): 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2022
Nursing
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 07, 2022
rajiedreez:
Medicine and surgery

Thanks.

She is eyeing it,but I am afraid of the competition.

But anything is possible.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 07, 2022
airsaylongcome:

This is a good result. She can literally study any science course. Would have been good if she had Economics to give her a Social Science option.

My advice would be for her to study a an excellent course that a lot.of Nigerians don't go into. Statistics. Or better Still Computer Science with Statistics or vice versa. The ultimate aim would be for her to get into Data Science field. While in school she should be taking up Udemy or Coursera courses in Data Science. She can then target remote internships in Data Science. Easily earn US$5k entry level job if she has really developed herself whole studying for her degree

What are the universities that offer Statistic here in Southwest?
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

Make she do hookup angry
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 07, 2022
SmileDance:
Nursing
Medical Laboratory Science
Nutrition and dietetics
Social work
Psychology
Computer Science

Thank you bro.

Maybe she can find Nursing as an alternative to Medicine and Surgery.

She is eyeing Medicine, but I am against it. Because Medicine is almost most competitive.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

Any Science course.
She needs to do a lot of research on her own concerning science courses, look for a course that intrigues her and also has demand in the labor market.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Raychee(f): 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2022
Lol. JAMB has a brochure for all accredited courses in various universities in Nigeria. She should go through all of them and figure out what she wants for herself. How can strangers be suggesting what she should do? Many people are regretting now because what they're studying/ studied isn't/wasn't something they have/had the passion for.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by airsaylongcome: 2:57pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

What are the universities that offer Statistic here in Southwest?

I don't know to be honest. I finished University many years ago. But in my experience, smart people who studied in the various Federal Universities of Technology have been very excellent performers. So maybe check FUTA. I also have a soft spot for OAU Computer Science cos my elder cousin who studied Computer Science in the 80s studied at Ife. But don't let my opinion limit you. Do a proper research. Also no matter the offer she should avoid any of the B.Ed options. She should go for B.Sc. And whatever she studies, she should make sure she is doing training and courses outside Uni cos the uni training in Nigeria DO NOT prepare you for the real world. If you guys can afford it, then target private Unis. Whatever decision is made, it should be one that she is happy with.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Sheriman(m): 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2022
As you are pursuing your academic career I encourage you to learn a digital technology skill along oooo. Generally, in this our modern word, having only paper certificate can't give you all you want anymore. So therefore, try to make your research on any digital technology skill to learn alongside your paper certificate so that by 2030 you wouldn't start blaming yourself.
My advice to my Junior brothers and sisters who want to pursuing their academic career.
I graduated from UNILAG
I studied learn and practice Kotlin documentations everyday for 2 years still learning the language.
I studied Educational Management.
What I'm doing now? I'm an Android developer using Kotlin.
I developed mobile application for Android and iOS.
With my tech skill, my UNILAG certificate gives me an edge and confidence over others who don't have a degree certificate.
We are not in the 60s and 70s even 80s. This is 21st century where the world is advancing on modern digital technology. World needs people with technical skills, people who can solve problem not people who only have different degrees.
The era of having only university paper certificate to secure work is fading. Please try to learn one vocational or technology skill.
Peace!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 07, 2022
Cryomancer:
I don't understand why people come online with their results to seek advice on what to study.

Is it that you guys never had passion/vision for anything to study before now or what?

I know results sometimes determine what you can study but at the same time, you should have like 3 back up plans in place just incase your initial plan did not work.

Anyway I don't know what you sister has passion for... But if she can study social work, she won't regret it.
As in ehnn.. The thing tire me. I knew what I wanted to be in primary 5.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by mfm04622: 3:10pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

The result is good enough for her to do whatever she want!
What does she want to do with her life?
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by charlesdinho7(m): 3:14pm On Feb 07, 2022
when did science student starts taking islamic as one of their ssce ?
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by drimzsmoke(m): 3:15pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Thank you bro.

Maybe she can find Nursing as an alternative to Medicine and Surgery.

She is eyeing Medicine, but I am against it. Because Medicine is almost most competitive.

Medicine,pharmacy and nursing are okay....But let her chase the medicine 1st...she should go for a state university to reduce the competition and that state university should be from her state of origin to further reduce the competition....Anybody can be anything,as long as she can dream and believe!!!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I don't know to be honest. I finished University many years ago. But in my experience, smart people who studied in the various Federal Universities of Technology have been very excellent performers. So maybe check FUTA. I also have a soft spot for OAU Computer Science cos my elder cousin who studied Computer Science in the 80s studied at Ife. But don't let my opinion limit you. Do a proper research. Also no matter the offer she should avoid any of the B.Ed options. She should go for B.Sc. And whatever she studies, she should make sure she is doing training and courses outside Uni cos the uni training in Nigeria DO NOT prepare you for the real world. If you guys can afford it, then target private Unis. Whatever decision is made, it should be one that she is happy with.

You said it all.

We can afford it even if it's private one. But the only problem is that she is young,that's why I don't want her to go any far from Southwest.

Somebody must coach her. She is little crzay sometimes.

And about handwork, I am proud of her on this. She is seamstress. But the problem is that she is what you will call careless and sturborn.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 07, 2022
drimzsmoke:

Medicine,pharmacy and nursing are okay....But let her chase the medicine 1st...she should go for a state university to reduce the competition and that state university should be from her state of origin to further reduce the competition....Anybody can be anything,as long as she can dream and believe!!!

Let me break it down.

We are all born here in Lagos. But our Father is Nupe with Fulani mother, from Niger. Though our Mama is Youba,she is neither born in Lagos nor is she the indigine of Lagos. She is From Kwara.

So we are put into disadvantage.

My question is,can we claim Lagos indigene?

This matter pusszle me all the times.

I don't know where we really belong to.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by airsaylongcome: 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

You said it all.

We can afford it even if it's private one. But the only problem is that she is young,that's why I don't want her to go any far from Southwest.

Somebody must coach her. She is little crzay sometimes.

And about handwork, I am proud of her on this. She is seamstress. But the problem is that she is what you will call careless and sturborn.

Careless and Stubborn! Lol. That's both a pro and a con. Since Private Uni is out of it then focus on federal unis. And don't try to foist your advice on her. All you need to do is highlight the positives of your proposition. A lot of people will advice she goes for Med/Surgery. But in my personal opinion I would advise against that. Dr title is just that, a title. They work so hard for minimum pay (here in Naija). I grew up in medical home (dad surgeon mum nurse) and the profession places a lot of strain on the family. With Data Science she can work in a very diverse set of industries from Manufacturing to Finance to IT.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Careless and Stubborn! Lol. That's both a pro and a con. Since Private Uni is out of it then focus on federal unis. And don't try to foist your advice on her. All you need to do is highlight the positives of your proposition. A lot of people will advice she goes for Med/Surgery. But in my personal opinion I would advise against that. Dr title is just that, a title. They work so hard for minimum pay (here in Naija). I grew up in medical home (dad surgeon mum nurse) and the profession places a lot of strain on the family. With Data Science she can work in a very diverse set of industries from Manufacturing to Finance to IT.

Thank you so much.

What are the possible cons?
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by airsaylongcome: 3:35pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Thank you so much.

What are the possible cons?

Cons of being Careless and Stubborn? In Data Science if you are Careless you can advise a wrong business strategy that could kill a multi billion dollar business. Data Science folks have to be very very meticulous
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by drimzsmoke(m): 3:37pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Let me break it down.

We are all born here in Lagos. But our Father is Nupe with Fulani mother, from Niger. Though our Mama is Youba,she is neither born in Lagos nor is she the indigine of Lagos. She is From Kwara.

So we are put into disadvantage.

My question is,can we claim Lagos indigene?

This matter pusszle me all the times.

I don't know where we really belong to.

Lolz
Back to the topic....hmmmm,you said private university is not a problem,so why not try out Babcock,it's a nice school but I think Medicine there is above 5 million,I'm not sure
Truth is,you can actually claim lagos,getting that state of origin certificate is very easy,I have for 3 states myself

1 Like

Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by AfroKnight: 3:55pm On Feb 07, 2022
She can do any science or engineering course.
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by BarrElChapo(m): 3:59pm On Feb 07, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Here is her Waec result.

Doesn't she have any dreams and aspirations of hers ? undecided
Re: My Sister Seeks Your Advice by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 07, 2022
BarrElChapo:

Doesn't she have any dreams and aspirations of hers ? undecided

She has her own dream. But she is young and little crazy.

We don't want her to jeopardize her future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aero contractors sacks 100 workers Outsourced By Skyborne / Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.