Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,612 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos (32702 Views)

What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? / Mr Macaroni Reacts To The Fuel Scarcity Across The Country / El-Rufai: ‘Be Careful Of What You Tweet About Kaduna, I'm Watching’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Ginomel(m): 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

Well, if subsides went, there would be more than enough profit for all that is needed for making the refienreis run apart from TAM

Plus, two refienreis are being renovated. Five private refinereis are coming up.

Well spoken. But I think they should account for the ones already allocated. If not, the assurance of sustaining the refineries is not there.

To whom much is given much is expected.

Come to think of it, where is assurance that subsidy will be removed after increasing the fuel price? Remember they have dribbled Nigerians before, the reason why we are presently buying at 165 naira, after telling us to buy at 140naira per liter with the assurance of no more scarcity and subsidy

2 Likes

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ginomel:

Well spoken. But I think they should account for the ones already allocated. If not, the assurance of sustaining the refineries is not there.

To whom much is given much is expected.

Come to think of it, where is assurance that subsidy will be removed after increasing the fuel price? Remember they have dribbled Nigerians before, the reason why we are presently buying at 165 naira, after telling us to buy at 140naira per liter with the assurance of no more scarcity and subsidy

At the moment, subsidy should have gone since 2006, IF NOT since 1993. We haven't been able to afford it. Past removals were government removing part of the money spent on subsidy which manifested as raised prices. (except in 2020, when the crude oil prices were too low to justify paying any subsidy...plus the low crude prices meant cheap fuel anyway.).

If we remove subsidies, the refinereis would make enough profit to pay for themselves...plus new refinereis would spring up due to incentive of profit
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Truvelisback(m): 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2022
jackfj:

And who told you they don't mix gas,lol
65% of gas bought by end users is adulterated, that's why most times you complain to the fillers, saying oga your gas no dey last. Meanwhile it's 100% not his fault.....(high pressure gas) I.e purely propane gas..
It is finished.

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Owologbo(m): 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:
Low fuel prices due to subsidy led to breakdown of refinereis led to us refining fuel abroad in bad refinereis, which led to this

Subsidy must go so that profits would be available to build and maintain standard refineries.

If you want good quality you pay for it.

This subsidy you keep singing about was removed in the time of Ibe kachwuku as state minister for petroleum under this evil government with the promise of fuel price coming down within 3 to 6 months because they will use the money to fix the refinaries.

I don't know it's short memory or y'all just forming ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
osuofia2:
smiley
Wickedness runs in Nigerians vein . Last week i was a victim of bad fuel .
I bought fuel in the fuel station here in Abuja and and few minutes afterward my car started jerking and quenching and offing.

Just knowing that there is offing in dictionary..

Meanwhile where in Abuja cos I experienced same thing at Nipco zuba
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
jojo1415:
Nigeria is now living on extra time shocked...So sad

In sanusi voice
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by sylve11: 2:37pm On Feb 08, 2022
Tonymegabush1:
Nawa that's how they will end up damaging person car injector

...and they will care less. cool
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
The fuel go still fit burn human being.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
Owologbo:

This subsidy you keep singing about was removed in the time of Ibe kachwuku as state minister for petroleum under this evil government with the promise of fuel price coming down within 3 to 6 months because they will use the money to fix the refinaries.

What happened in the past was government reduced the amount of money they spent on subsides OR they raised prices to a level where they were no longer paying subsides, and called it 'subsidy removal'

So long as the government sets the price of fuel, there is a subsidy present.

It has been done from time immemorial, which is why fuel does not cost 15 kobo, the cost price of fuel in 1981.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by omohayek: 2:46pm On Feb 08, 2022
Owologbo:

All of you who keep spouting this nonsense need to take at least one minute to check your logic: if, as you say, "was removed in the time of Ibe kachwuku as state minister for petroleum", then that means the price of petroleum is currently being set by market prices, so what would be the harm in removing it again? How are you affected by the removal of a subsidy that you claim no longer exists? You might as well be angry at the government for wishing to abolish unicorns defecating rainbows, while you're at it. You clearly have no idea what the fuel subsidy even is if you can type out such nonsense without realising how ridiculous it is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by tonididdy(m): 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

1. Subsidsed health is why you dont pay for malaria drugs in ten thousands of naira..and why caesareans cost LESS than 2000 dollars in governemt hospital's

2..If you want boko to be beaten take part in governemt. Dont come complaining to me..im not in goverment. I didn't vote for them.
you are ranting like a rabid dog for only God knows why.

How many people will comfortably afford fuel at 345N per litre with the condition of this country?

The Nigeria we have known is all talk talk talk, analyse analyse analyse... No actions, no productivity, no changes.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by osuofia2(m): 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
Aurielfinizu:

Just knowing that there is offing in dictionary..

Meanwhile where in Abuja cos I experienced same thing at Nipco zuba
Off.
Forte oil
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Eddygourdo(m): 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:
Low fuel prices due to subsidy led to breakdown of refinereis led to us refining fuel abroad in bad refinereis, which led to this

Subsidy must go so that profits would be available to build and maintain standard refineries.

keep quiet
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2022
]
tonididdy:
you are ranting like a rabid dog for only God knows why.

Well, presumably, rabid dogs cannot talk or use laptops or even do much of anything, so I doubt I am one.

Hope you are all right by the way, calling me something I am not?

How many people will comfortably afford fuel at 345N per litre with the condition of this country?

Presumably if people living in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cameroon , Niger, Ghana, and so forth can afford fuel at above N350 per liter, and many of those nations are poorer than us, I daresay we can.

Plus, Niger, Cameroon are also oil producers.

Finally if we wanted a subsidy we pay for it from tax revenue, which now is very low, and yes, government messed up on that matter.
Not from oil revenue that is based on an oil price that is above 100 dollars today, below 30 tomorrow.

The Nigeria we have known is all talk talk talk, analyse analyse analyse... No actions, no productivity, no changes.

Pity about that.

Ta.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2022
Eddygourdo:
I think I should keep quiet, since I have nothing to say really.

Fixed. Good afternoon to you too.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2022
mitchyy:
My brother's car is damaged. They said NNPC supplied bad fuel to petrol stations. It damaged a lot of their customers cars and some fuel stations had to shut down due to the complaints. My brother got fuel from Total Fuel station on the island and his Venza car started acting up barely 5mins after. Now his engine is about to go bad and he might be needing a new engine. A car that was working perfectly without any issue cry. The mechanics checked and confirmed its bad fuel. Other people too are suffering same issue. Who should be held responsible for this? Its not fair at all

The gap between the cover and the tank is where water can enter when it rains or they wash always go to the pump that someone is in front of you water rises in petrol or settles one of the two not the one they call you too. Fuel cleaner helps nnpc own

The solution is to do New York style sewer covers
I’m stubborn so one day I said no when they were calling me they called me a witch lol in Yoruba

There should be a smell as their filling it and vapor look out for that I buy NNPC no issues till date it’s the station and management of their dressed one kind the fuel will be one kind

Use small injector cleaner like half with full tank… you don’t want more cleaner than petrol mix …
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by pacespot(m): 3:26pm On Feb 08, 2022
Naija, naija, naija, grin never introduce a fraudulent thing to Nigerians, everybody will think it is normal in a short time soon. grin Nigerians just too like fraud and backdoor means
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

We refine fuel in substandard refineries in Europe to help keep subsidy costs low
Do you work for government to know all this?Why don't you build new refineries instead of paying #16b daily for subsidy?It seems some of you are illegally benefiting from importation of fuel and subsidy in general.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 08, 2022
Revolution2022:
Do you work for government to know all this?

Nope. I read the papers....

Why don't you build new refineries instead of paying #16b daily for subsidy?

Because for the refinereis to run well, they have to be profitable, and that means letting the refienreis, transporters and marketers collectively set a price of fuel that would enable them to run profitably enough for them to operate efficiently.

And that means removing the subsidy.

It seems some of you are illegally benefiting from importation of fuel and subsidy in general.

Well, it seems you are the son of the queen of England, and the heir to the throne of Hanover. I apologise for not greeting you well, your highness.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by mediainc: 3:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

Who told you they will build it when they get more money. We have been making enough money to repair refineries, we have even borrowed to repair refineries.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Kenn55: 3:47pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

I own a car and subsidy means i may end up spending one third of my monthly revenue fuelling the car. I havent even touched on generator costs.

If Nigeria keeps on paying for subsidies we will get into more and more debt.

I think i dont want more debt. Thanks.

Better subsides go and refining at home becomes more profitable and the value of the naira improves due to forex savings

P.s answer me.please

Should government set your prices so that the poor can buy the things you sell at an affodable price? How would you cover your resulting losses.?

What you are saying makes sense for an ideal society. However, you are assuming Nigeria is a normal country unfortunately it is not.

Whether you remove subsidy or not, it will not improve the standard of living in the country. You guys should understand that Nigeria is a peculiar country and normal economics will not work.
The solution is to change the structure of the country and governance into regions and let every region start working out their own unique Solutions to pressing issues.

There is nobody on earth that will make Nigeria work in this current state but greed will not allow Nigerians to change course.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2022
mediainc:

Who told you they will build it when they get more money. We have been making enough money to repair refineries, we have even borrowed to repair refineries.

Well, removing subsidy means refineries would be able to set their prices...meaning that it would become more profitable to refine at home, and more private investment would result into domestic refining...more refineries, at the cost of private companies, not at government cost. Plus subsidy money would be saved, not thrown on subsidizing fuel for everyone in West and central africa.

Nigeria did the same for GSM . Obasanjo did not subsides GSM, they charged us high prices, and took the profits they earned to build our current internet and telephone network, without government spending a dime.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by tolajay: 3:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
Na wah ooo.

I'm not buying any fuel till this madness is over.

Can't risk damaging my car and other gadgets cos of negligence and corruption.

Ehailing and okada will suffice for now.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 3:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kenn55:

What you are saying makes sense for an ideal society. However, you are assuming Nigeria is a normal country unfortunately it is not.

Well, Niger is poorer than us, and they don't subsidse their fuel...meaning their refinery has profit to run well.

Whether you remove subsidy or not, it will not improve the standard of living in the country. You guys should understand that Nigeria is a peculiar country and normal economics will not work.

It's not meant to improve the economy, it's meant to improve the level of domestic refining so that government saves money and earns more money...and jobs, investment flow into Nigeria. Our economy can only improve if we diversify into industries.

The solution is to change the structure of the country and governance into regions and let every region start working out their own unique Solutions to pressing issues.

Tried regions. Did not work . That's why we have states, and why people want more states. (and minority tribes are dead set against regions.).

Nigeria needs more money, and short term, it means rasing the amount of money that comes from income taxes (right now, 30% of taxable Nigerians pay income taxat state and federal level. Tax to gdp ratio is now 8% compared to Ghana and SA which are at 23-4%)

There is nobody on earth that will make Nigeria work in this current state but greed will not allow Nigerians to change course.

Maybe, but you cannot force someone selling yam at N2000 to sell at N500 and pay him a subsidy of N100 per yam sold to help the poor.yam bought at N1500 per piece....and not expect sharp practices and corruption from yam seller, just to stay afloat. That is how we do our petroleum sector, and why we have all the corruption, bad refinereis, and scarcity, and bad petrol.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by mediainc: 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

Well, removing subsidy means refineries would be able to set their prices...meaning that it would become more profitable to refine at home, and more private investment would result into domestic refining...more refineries, at the cost of private companies, not at government cost. Plus subsidy money would be saved, not thrown on subsidizing fuel for everyone in West and central africa.

Nigeria did the same for GSM . Obasanjo did not subsides GSM, they charged us high prices, and took the profits they earned to build our current internet and telephone network, without government spending a dime.
Do we have private refinery companies yet?

Is it not Dangote that is coming now, let us wait for Dangote, if you remove freight costs, shipping, insurance and import duties he will be able to sell less, and of course government can give tax concessions to him, then government won't be paying any fuel subsidy. Dangote will soon come up, government must support him, so he refines here and sell to us here at good rates. Government is about the people, politicians should reduce their allowances and overheads, we can impose more taxes on luxury goods, we can even scrap the legislature and make do with senate house. If we do these, we will be making and saving trillions to use on more important things.

There will be a drastic acute multiplier inflationary effect, this can lead to mass hunger and chaos... how many Nigerians can afford fuel at N340/ltr. We must keep the general economy moving, informal sector is our strength in Nigeria... almost all poor Nigerians use small generators, small barbing and hair saloons, small manufacturing outfits, small business etc.

Economy is not about packing money into the hands of government, it is about mobilizing the economy via fiscal and monetary policy, to ensure the nation is productive, and that it's people are resourceful. An acute hike in fuel price is very bad for our economy and society.
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Aaar: 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ok
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by torqque7(m): 4:41pm On Feb 08, 2022
Same happened in Abuja last week
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Poloyanabo2(m): 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheABOMINATION:
The problem of black soot would naturally not end in Port Harcourt damaged weather, it will affect the entire country in form of inferior petroleum products.

So you mean the bad products we're seeing here are from PH?
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 08, 2022
mediainc:

Do we have private refinery companies yet?

Five of them (six if you count BUA)

Is it not Dangote that is coming now, let us wait for Dangote, if you remove freight costs, shipping, insurance and import duties he will be able to sell less, and of course government can give tax concessions to him, then government won't be paying any fuel subsidy. Dangote will soon come up, government must support him, so he refines here and sell to us here at good rates. Government is about the people, politicians should reduce their allowances and overheads, we can impose more taxes on luxury goods, we can even scrap the legislature and make do with senate house. If we do these, we will be making and saving trillions to use on more important things.

Important things like education, health, etc...and even then the savings won't be enough. Neither would the savings be enough to pay for subsides...especially since subsidy costs rise from year to year.

There will be a drastic acute multiplier inflationary effect, this can lead to mass hunger and chaos... how many Nigerians can afford fuel at N340/ltr. We must keep the general economy moving, informal sector is our strength in Nigeria... almost all poor Nigerians use small generators, small barbing and hair saloons, small manufacturing outfits, small business etc.

Well, Niger, Ghana, Liberia, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, etc pay more for fuel than we do. They aren't dead yet. We will survive. And the benefits would come in.

At the moment we are about to lose 3 trillion to subsidy, and even more when the cost rises with rising oil prices. You want to pay the resulting debt? I don't think so.

Economy is not about packing money into the hands of government, it is about mobilizing the economy via fiscal and monetary policy, to ensure the nation is productive, and that it's people are resourceful. An acute hike in fuel price is very bad for our economy and society.

Well, since it would

1.Make refining fuel at home profitable

2.Save us 3 trillion naira now,and more later on , plus provide incentive for investors to set up refinereis, and banks to lend to them...which means more jobs and more savings and more income....

3.Help us get more income from exporting refined products....

Economy would benefit.

If you want a subsidy, then government should charge everyone taxes...including farmers, traders, herdsmen and even beggers, to afford subsidy. We fund the thing from crude oil...revenue from which is never stable.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by GindoX(m): 10:24pm On Feb 08, 2022
odaniel1:
Hmm, i sense an opportunity here as an Ibo man...... grin
So if one sold a device that could detect the authenticity of fuel. Bam! Ritual money! cool

Sense will not kill you.. baddt nigggaa...
Re: Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos by Owologbo(m): 5:59am On Feb 09, 2022
omohayek:

All of you who keep spouting this nonsense need to take at least one minute to check your logic: if, as you say, "was removed in the time of Ibe kachwuku as state minister for petroleum", then that means the price of petroleum is currently being set by market prices, so what would be the harm in removing it again? How are you affected by the removal of a subsidy that you claim no longer exists? You might as well be angry at the government for wishing to abolish unicorns defecating rainbows, while you're at it. You clearly have no idea what the fuel subsidy even is if you can type out such nonsense without realising how ridiculous it is.
you are actually the one spouting nonsense.
Which one are you suggesting they remove again after accepting that they actually removed it in the time of Ibe?
What unicorns defecating rainbow are they trying to abolish; the one they professed never existed in 2012?
When they protested against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012, how much was crude oil at the international market and how much was fuel after the removal of subsidy then?
You think you are talking to your ilks that don't know how to think for themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'How FG Aided Nnamdi Kanu’s Escape' - George Chukwu, Canada-Based Journalist / First Lady: GMB’s Wife Deceiving Nigerian Women / Thanksgiving Service For Former President Jonathan In Yenagoa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.