Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications (21865 Views)

Nigeria’s Foreign Assets At Risk As Enron Seeks To Enforce $22m Arbitration / I Won't Campaign For Atiku, Others - Obasanjo / Goldcoast Dickson's Burial: Osinbajo, Atiku Others Attend (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Loveurneighbour: 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2022
By Abdul Seye

The House of Representatives has passed, for second reading, a bill to bar people without university degrees from contesting the presidential position.

To contest for federal and state legislature and governorship seats, a candidate will need a minimum of a university degree.

The bill, sponsored by Oriyomi Onanuga, seeks to amend sections 66, 106, 131 and 171 of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

The proposed bill, if passed, means that lawmakers, governors and presidents must have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor degree, a Higher National Diploma, Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) and other degree equivalent certificates.

Several politicians in Nigeria use secondary school or primary school certificates to run for office.

Former Vice President and candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party at the last general election, Atiku Abubakar, presented a Diploma as his highest qualification. Mr Abubakar is believed to be interested in running for president in 2023.

It is not only Mr Atiku that presented less than a university degree or equivalent. Omoyele Sowore, the candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) also presented a Senior Secondary School Certificate, WAEC, as his highest qualification.

On Tuesday, the House debated the general principle of the bill and passed it for second reading. The bill was subsequently transmitted to the Committee on Constitution Amendment.

If passed, politicians without qualifications up to degree level will be ruled out.
https://dailypost.ng/2022/02/08/2023-atiku-others-at-risk-as-reps-to-raise-candidates-minimum-education-qualification/?amp=1

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by richiemcgold: 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2022
even most degree holders of today are not academically/intellectually sound enough, ..let alone school cert holders.
I think minimum academic requirements should be phd, with many years of teaching experience. Teaching should be part of criteria for power because teachers have always make better leaders.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Perfecttouchade: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
2023 sha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by IKBARUTEN11(m): 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
grin grin

FG and INEC doing everything they can to make sure Atiku doesn't contest in the 2023 presidential polls

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by JosephXavier: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
Na lie, I no gree

I must contest for governorship with my NEPA bill

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Quelme: 3:31pm On Feb 08, 2022
Tinubu is taking over as the most qualified and experience amongst the lot.

Jagaban!!! The incoming president...

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by ERCROSS(m): 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2022
We all know our brothers up north will not allow this bill to pass

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Egalitarian1: 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
Fantastic! In fact, I like and support this bill because it's long awaited.

Yes, education is not everything but it has a way of sharpening your mental horizon for better cum quality reasoning targeted towards approaching every issue with fecundity and analytical precision. Personally, even with my M.Sc. and PhD in view, I still cannot wait to conclude the PhD to enable me pursue a degree in Law (which has been my life time dream because, I must also be referred to as Learned Counsel).

Ka oya adikwa gi, ya di gi! I no send you market at all!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by NoSentiment: 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
If PMB does this, he has done everything for me!

I am fed up with seeing idiots represent me though many graduates could still be idiots these days, but at least the system will start to weed them out gradually.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by agbari1: 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
Buying a degree from any of these universities around in Nigeria can not be difficult.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Acecube(m): 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
So Sowore doesn't have a degree

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Euclid92: 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
Okay.
Good move anyway
Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Jabatura: 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ok

we should fry stone?
Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by suliyatu(f): 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ope o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by condralbedez: 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
wink
Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by MrCGPA(m): 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
Nigeria is Where she is today because of the illiterates running the government. No matter what Education is a Necessity since it Certifies Ones' Character and Learning. Any Aboki that must Rule should go to School.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Mindlog: 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
But Atiku got his Masters last year.

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by obinoral1179(m): 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
My main issues is that Sowore tender O level as his highest qualification and he still have the gust to be abusing the past leaders......

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by jojo1415: 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
Tinubu nko?

4 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Facidio: 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
They should make presidency to be a doctorate degree holder please

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
The minimum should be masters degree.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by sokera: 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2022
Jagaban our incoming President… Jagaban I can’t wait to vote you

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by tommy589(m): 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2022
University degree won't change anything but to have a president that has the milk of human kindness in him

We have not less than 90% of governors, assemblymen,ministers etc as graduates,how have they impacted lives?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Kog45(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2022
Facidio:
They should make presidency to be a doctorate degree holder please
PhD holders that cannot express themselves in simple tenses.My man Nigeria education has fallen.What we have now are political professors with nothing upstairs.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by od4life(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2022
Atiku got a masters degree last year from a university in the UK.

6 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by od4life(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2022

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku, Others At Risk As Reps To Raise Minimum Education Qualifications by Cholls(m): 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2022
My brother dead on arrival

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NNPC slashes crude buyers from 43 to 16 / Senate To Pass Social Media Bill Despite Rejection By Nigerians -SaharaReporters / Governor Abiodun: Sarkin Fulani Speaks Yoruba Better Than I Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.