Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) (45822 Views)

My HIV Test Result - The Shock Of My Life / Coronavirus: Dr. Joe Abah Talks About Nigeria Airport Preparedness Vs. US And UK / Sex With Prostitute: My HIV/AIDS Test And Result Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by ghettochild(m): 12:52pm On Feb 19, 2022
babzo:

People don't seem to realize the number of possible besides sex that cause HIV.

Before the 90s and even till late 90s, hospitals share syringes for patients. It was 90s, they started boiling them before re use.

But how is one sure, the nurse probably boiled the syringe.

Also barbing saloons that used same clipper for many people without properly cleaning.
This is so true
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by ghettochild(m): 1:01pm On Feb 19, 2022
1Sharon:

This is a myth. Hiv cannot be transmitted through surface cuts.

And besides the virus cannot survive for long outside the human body.
Can u prove this??

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by grandlexuz(m): 1:03pm On Feb 19, 2022
yinkeys:

Lol so people randomly get the virus through thin air.
Then it’s aerobic

Lol or it’s a formulated story grin
Na marketer ?

My nope was in response to what you heard of men seeing the signs before women when infected with hiv. That's for STD's like Gonorhea where males would experience symptoms earlier than females

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 3:35pm On Feb 19, 2022
LKO:

One worry of my friend, is that since he started taking TLD April 1 2021, his urine has always b yellowish in colour. He had told care givers at the hospital, they said nothing to worry about. Do u also have this challenge?
Totally nothing to worry about. He should take more water which is obviously healthy, normally the color of urine should be pale yellow abi? Once the doctor mentioned that, I think it’s nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by josephwilliamsd(m): 5:36pm On Feb 19, 2022
Megabig:
Totally nothing to worry about. He should take more water which is obviously healthy, normally the color of urine should be pale yellow abi? Once the doctor mentioned that, I think it’s nothing to worry about.

What about your headache. Please throw more light on it. How was it. How long did it last.On Which part of the head did you Experience it. Was it steady or has a particular time that it happens.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 6:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
josephwilliamsd:

What about your headache. Please throw more light on it. How was it. How long did it last.On Which part of the head did you Experience it. Was it steady or has a particular time that it happens.
was usually in the morning, left part of my head. Once it starts, i usually dim my eyes to feel better. It goes away after hours and guess what, I get scared again because I’ll be expecting it in 2 to 4 days and it never misses. Happened just that way for almost 5 months. I can’t recall what it feels like to have a headache anymore and I can’t recall which year I last had headache right now. Those are the times I remember and it was terrible and I doubt if I will ever forget those moments

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
ghettochild:

Can u prove this??
I heard the virus can’t survive when exposed like he mentioned but the question should be how long? I know a 7 year old than got infected through haircuts.
The mum used same blade to cut their cousin and then shaved him afterwards, when she narrated the story while we were both at the clinic to pick drugs in Nigeria. I was shocked.
She figured the son became positive and they could not believe it, they then tested everyone and realized the cousin staying with them is positive and detectable, he’s also not aware he is and they’ve been having random haircut at home. She came with both that day to pick their own pills and they’ve all moved on.

3 Likes

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 9:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
Megabig:

This thread seems to be the most comprehensive as far as HIV is concerned here in Nairaland. When u started your treatment, were u given pills to prevent TB ?
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2022
LKO:

This thread seems to be the most comprehensive as far as HIV is concerned here in Nairaland. When u started your treatment, were u given pills to prevent TB ?
yes, that’s what the septrin was for, one daily and it was like nothing because it was so tiny, learnt TB starts from cough so they gave that to prevent it while checking my CD4 to ensure it never goes below 400 so as to start me with an antiretroviral. I was never given Antiretroviral that until I moved to Abj where they said I have to start regardless of my CD4. Their motive at ABj is to get everyone to an undetectable status which was great.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by NNAMDIII(m): 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2022
I've really learnt a lot

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 5:06am On Feb 20, 2022
Megabig:
yes, that’s what the septrin was for, one daily and it was like nothing because it was so tiny, learnt TB starts from cough so they gave that to prevent it while checking my CD4 to ensure it never goes below 400 so as to start me with an antiretroviral. I was never given Antiretroviral that until I moved to Abj where they said I have to start regardless of my CD4. Their motive at ABj is to get everyone to an undetectable status which was great.

The septrin is basically to prevent opportunistic infections, the one they gave my friend was not tiny, he used it with the one to prevent TB for six months, when he became undectable they discontinued both. The one for TB prevention is Isoniazid (Google it pls). They also included tab pyridoxine 50mg which he took with the Isoniazid to prevent it from having severe effect on him.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 5:23am On Feb 20, 2022
LKO:

The septrin is basically to prevent opportunistic infections, the one they gave my friend was not tiny, he used it with the one to prevent TB for six months, when he became undectable they discontinued both. The one for TB prevention is Isoniazid (Google it pls). They also included tab pyridoxine 50mg which he took with the Isoniazid to prevent it from having severe effect on him.
what is an opportunistic infection? Hospitals can only administer what is available at that time. As at the time I was being attended to, the only thing offered was septrin and they clearly stated it is to prevent cough, tb and other infections that can easily penetrate into our systems thereby weakening our immune system. If a new drug which is specific for tb is now available as you stated, then that is really good and your friend should take it and continue to remain undetectable. But I am 100 percent right in what I stated that septrin was used in my case to prevent tb ( which is an opportunistic infection as you stated).

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by azpekuliar: 6:25am On Feb 20, 2022
Datikwerreboi:

Even a single session of raw sex can earn u HIV, be enlightened biko

Yes, you are increasing your chance of getting it each time you go in raw but it doesn't mean you deadcert will contract it because there are other factors.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by descarado: 4:28pm On Feb 20, 2022
cococandy:
OP this is such a wonderful thread. Thank you for this.
Other people need to hear it from you in order to be encouraged. Sometimes healthcare workers’ advice won’t work as well as the advice of someone who is dealing with the issue themselves. Kudos to you

I stumbled on this. Watch and tell me what you think.
Have been watching it non stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJaGKA-NGSI
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by cococandy(f): 4:55pm On Feb 20, 2022
descarado:

I stumbled on this. Watch and tell me what you think.
Have been watching it non stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJaGKA-NGSI

This is so interesting
You have to admit he makes a fine woman cheesy

You know, drag in some form has always been present in different cultures around the world. I believe it’s only been harshly judged in relatively recent times as western influence grew around the areas they colonized . Or maybe the flamboyance of the new age drag queens lends the phenomenon?

Very interesting

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by descarado: 8:14pm On Feb 20, 2022
cococandy:

This is so interesting
You have to admit he makes a fine woman cheesy

You know, drag in some form has always been present in different cultures around the world. I believe it’s only been harshly judged in relatively recent times as western influence grew around the areas they colonized . Or maybe the flamboyance of the new age drag queens lends the phenomenon?

Very interesting
At first I didn't read the heading. Was admiring the hairstyle. Just look at the hair style. Phenomenal.
The guy is so handsome. (Look at the queen too) Then somebody started singing, I started looking deeper,chai,na man o cheesy
The way I called hubby to come and watch eeh cheesy

Presently we still have drag dancers. If you have heard of egedege unubi,since I was small,her dancers are mainly male drag queens. She is 60 something and they still dress like babes to dance.

When I see people condemning them now, I will be like, we have them for ages na.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Theevilone(m): 4:24am On Feb 22, 2022
I understand you clearly bro, please how can I reach I want to discuss something with you?
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by josephwilliamsd(m): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2022
[quote author=Megabig post=110373061] yes, that’s what the septrin was for, one daily and it was like nothing because it was so tiny, learnt TB starts from cough so they gave that to prevent it while checking my CD4 to ensure it never goes below 400 so as to start me with an antiretroviral. I was never given Antiretroviral that until I moved to Abj where they said I have to start regardless of my CD4. Their motive at ABj is to get everyone to an undetectable status which was great. [/quot0e]

Please can I send you a PM
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by josephwilliamsd(m): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2022
Megabig:

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 7:29pm On Feb 25, 2022
josephwilliamsd:

yes, kelvinscottndu@gmail.com

Also, everything I stated is based on my personal experience and Research but I do also love people speaking with their medical professionals for best advice
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 4:41am On Mar 01, 2022
Megabig:
yes, kelvinscottndu@gmail.com

Also, everything I stated is based on my personal experience and Research but I do also love people speaking with their medical professionals for best advice

Bro, have u taken the covid 19 vaccine? If u have, did you stop taking your ARV for some days as at the time you took the vaccine?
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 4:19pm On Mar 01, 2022
LKO:

Bro, have u taken the covid 19 vaccine? If u have, did you stop taking your ARV for some days as at the time you took the vaccine?
Why will I stop ARV after I took the vaccine, ARV comes first… Also I have been vaccinated fully and before that, I was told by my doctor that I will hardly catch the virus because I’ve been on ARV for years which fights HIV and other infections therefore I have a strong body resistance than other people. But he advised I should take it anyway

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 9:05pm On Mar 01, 2022
Megabig:

Why will I stop ARV after I took the vaccine, ARV comes first… Also I have been vaccinated fully and before that, I was told by my doctor that I will hardly catch the virus because I’ve been on ARV for years which fights HIV and other infections therefore I have a strong body resistance than other people. But he advised I should take it anyway

Over here, covid 19 vacinators are telling people not to take any medication except paracetamol) for at least three days after being vaccinated, so the medication do not interfere with the working of the vaccine. Confusion!
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2022
LKO:

Over here, covid 19 vacinators are telling people not to take any medication except paracetamol) for at least three days after being vaccinated, so the medication do not interfere with the working of the vaccine. Confusion!
Rubbish, not the same thing said here, that’s how they subjected people into taking ARV at a specific time daily while it just says ensure you take it daily. ARV should never be stopped for any reason. You can ask for details of the particular Covid vaccine and read the precautions yourself.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by pinkygurl(f): 5:15am On Mar 26, 2022
Scary thread kiss
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by yinkeys(m): 1:48pm On Apr 01, 2022
SenecaTheYonger:
. Irish Sea moss too
I doubt
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 11:48am On Jun 24, 2022
Megabig:

Rubbish, not the same thing said here, that’s how they subjected people into taking ARV at a specific time daily while it just says ensure you take it daily. ARV should never be stopped for any reason. You can ask for details of the particular Covid vaccine and read the precautions yourself.

Bro, keep this thread alive please.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 2:41pm On Jun 24, 2022
LKO:

Bro, keep this thread alive please.

I’m trying to, I got abusive emails though
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2022
LKO:

Lies, there is no proven fact on this, the time of Covid, I had a zoom call with my medical professional to ask if I should take it or not, she told me to go ahead and get the vaccine, I specifically asked if I should take anything else, she said I will need ibruprofen for pains after the vaccine and it wouldn’t stop me from taking my pills, I take my pill daily and at anytime I want so there is nothing to discuss on paracetamol stopping anything…

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Nekky5(f): 6:58pm On Jun 24, 2022
Majority are even living with a more deadlier disease than HiV. It all depends on how one handles any of these health challenges. The system in Nigeria made it look like a death sentence unlike how other civilized countries educate their citizens on prevention and treatment. We can actually start living above issues of life using MIND POWER.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 9:17pm On Jun 24, 2022
Megabig:

I’m trying to, I got abusive emails though

Abusive emails? How? Why?
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by LKO(m): 9:19pm On Jun 24, 2022
Megabig:

Lies, there is no proven fact on this, the time of Covid, I had a zoom call with my medical professional to ask if I should take it or not, she told me to go ahead and get the vaccine, I specifically asked if I should take anything else, she said I will need ibruprofen for pains after the vaccine and it wouldn’t stop me from taking my pills, I take my pill daily and at anytime I want so there is nothing to discuss on paracetamol stopping anything…

What ARV drug are u on?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Hymen: A Membrane Widely Misunderstood / Lady Dies After Giving Birth To Her 2nd Set Of Triplets At Traditional Delivery / I May Have Lost My Leg But I Gained Something Better; Lady On Her Birthday. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.