Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) (45787 Views)

My HIV Test Result - The Shock Of My Life / Coronavirus: Dr. Joe Abah Talks About Nigeria Airport Preparedness Vs. US And UK / Sex With Prostitute: My HIV/AIDS Test And Result Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 9:23pm On Feb 17, 2022
Theevilone:

There is no evidence more than himself.

Your evidence is a documentary but his is himself, who is more reliable now ?

An anonymous person is more credible than a newspaper of international repute quoting people and sources in a video to you?

I'm sure that sounded like an intelligent quip to you.

grin

A guy that was giving a quotation from UK whilst claiming to be treated in US.

No wonder Nigeria is the way it is.

Too many dunderheads.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 9:26pm On Feb 17, 2022
Megabig:
you are far from thinking I’m bitter, I’m literally helping people financially and other ways too. I’ll leave you to continue to be ignorant, I know what I went though first hand, I won’t want others to pass through that hence the reason I’m disclosing this and also trying to help people. But keep it up though

Will you shut up with your lies.

You gave a website without even the link but was obviously from UK where healthcare is free, to justify the cost in US where healthcare is expensive.

You can be fooling those that have never been abroad but not my likes.

I insist you are a LIAR.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 9:36pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:

You gave a website without even the link but was obviously from UK where healthcare is free, to justify the cost in US where healthcare is expensive.

I insist you are a LIAR.
I don’t know how God won’t punish you for coming here and spring lies, take this other link and stuff it into your butthole. You can’t do a simple research, initially you said it’s never free, now you believe it’s free in UK, I’ve grabbed a link for a list of hospitals in US… go check them out before God will punish. I don’t know why I’ll gain to lie about Hiv pills. I don’t really understand . Even Mount Sinai gives free pill in New York, put a call through to them and stop being stupid. With ADAP, you get free medication if you earn less than 50k a year that’s if you don’t want to go through other sponsored programs which is still free. I earn over 100k and I’m still not paying anything. Do you know what the cost of a bottle of antiretroviral is? That’s over 2k and how do you think a low income earner can afford that? You are just plain stupid

2 Likes

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Theevilone(m): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2022
proclinician:

stop which kind talk? Somebody shared his story and journey to recovery to encourage others. What did a black monkey understand from the story that is making u talk nonsense. If he post such story on Quora u will see people with brains encouraging him to keep living. Are u not ashamed of urself?

He was disappointed this is not his area of interest, Oxlade s$x tape would have been more educating to him than this .
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Theevilone(m): 9:45pm On Feb 17, 2022
slimanyd:

Now I see why u are such a bittered soul. At your young age. U already know how to sleep with different girls all in the name of been a big guy abi . Ode, He even said he was ignorant . Stfu. But he wasn't ignorant of having sex with different ladies abi. Its south sha u got what u got via same enjoyment of ignorant . Osinwin eniyan.

He has grown pass discrimination so our words won’t do him nothing.

2 Likes

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 9:48pm On Feb 17, 2022
Theevilone:

He has grown pass discrimination so our words won’t do him nothing.
that guy is sick, pay him no minds. Is he trying to discriminate? I’m better than him wtf? He’s worth nothing, I’m more in control of my health than he is… that’s just an idiot talking and I pay him no mind. He’s nothing than a keyboard warrior. I just pity people and what they go through back home which I was formally in their shoes to share my story and encourage them to be on their drugs… don’t mind that loafer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by STARKENNETH(m): 9:49pm On Feb 17, 2022
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Theevilone(m): 9:50pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:

I pity you.

Why do you guys always assume one operates at your level?

I'm telling you nothing in America is free.

Absolutely nothing.

You have been proudly sounding so stupid since.

You sit in Nigeria �� and argue when him himself is all the evidence needed.

How would feel when an American that never visited Nigeria argue with you here that Nigeria don’t have potholes on our roads because he has watched our sweet roads online.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 9:54pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:

I insist you are a LIAR.
All you need do is type “Is hiv drugs free” and get all you need. I don’t know if you can’t read or you enjoy blabbing. Have you been paying for your pill? Send me a mail if you have and I’ll direct you on what to do… Hiv pills if to be sold goes for over a thousand dollars monthly, do you think I’ll afford that and I’ll come here and blab? How will I survive Niaja if I have to pay for it? You are just ignorant… run along
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by rockcitie: 9:56pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:

I insist you are a LIAR.

Why are you getting so unnecessarily worked up??

Are you aware that Bill Gates foundation & so many other NGOs have been funding the antiretroviral drugs & making them available all over the world for free??

Are you even aware that there are so many destitutes & low income earners all over the world (including America ) who constantly benefit from such free medication??

Do you realise that even in Naija, if you go to a private hospital for the antiretroviral medication & treatment, you will most likely have to pay money for tthose drugs. But if on the contrary you're receiving the treatment from Government owned hospitals in that same Naija the drugs are absolutely FREE??

There are some private hospitals in Naija that charge as high as 10k just to get you tested to confirm your status meanwhile the government hospitals in Naija don't charge a dime to conduct such tests.

So just as the OP rightly said, some low income earners in yhd US will not pay any money to receive those drugs becuz someone else or some organisations are already bearing the costs on their behalf.

I advise that you stop this your unnecessary back & forth argument and attack on the OP. You really don't gain anything by boldly displaying this high level of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by dnawah(m): 10:05pm On Feb 17, 2022
Megabig:
Hello Nairalanders,

I once said I will be giving a brief summary of my journey so far living with HIV. I made an initial post but deleted most of it because it was too long. I’ll try run through my journey here, the difference between Naija and the US (which is where I reside) and maybe things I would have done differently back home.

I realized I was positive in 2008. That was while still in 2nd year in the university, I won’t go into details how I felt, but what led to me privately going for a HIV test was because I had chronic headaches while in campus, infact I went home and told my parents I had migraine, we went to different hospitals and of course paid bills and got pills for migraine, when I went back to school, it continued. I tried with several pills to sure that but on doing a couple of research, I thought I should go for a hiv test, I went and then was positive. I informed my parents immediately that my migraine is gone (lol) because they kept asking how I was doing, they thought I should return maybe after 3 months to go for another general examination but because I now know what’s up, I told them I’m good.

I went to one Catholic confession because I was not sure who to tell, I don’t trust anyone including my sisters, that means I had all the secret myself. When I told the priest, he then asked me to wait after and directed me to a clinic at FMC Umuahia. My first visit there, I was not asked to start Antiretrovirals because my viral load is still above 500, what I was given was just septrin (I learnt it’s mostly to prevent cough, that’s the most deadly thing that can reduce positive person instantly).

I managed my viral load for almost 2 years until I moved from Abia to Abuja. In Abj, every positive person have to start taking Antiretroviral so I started taking that (one pill a day). Even at that time, I never told anyone, I fought and got a visa to move out of Naija and it’s been stressless all these years in the states.
Here are the disadvantages:

1. Visiting FMC Umuahia was horrible, there is confidentiality in terms of files and others. The nurses are terrible, once I get there on my scheduled appointment (of course with maybe 70-100 other people), I’ll sit at the back and they have to scream when they are calling names and everyone will turn to see who the person is. I know we all there are positive but at least respect me for once.

2. Because I wanted to be discreet which eventually paid off (please tell people you trust if you have to, me being discreet was tasking, I wish I had the courage to talk but sadly I don’t trust anyone), I had to hide my drugs, I haven’t seen something so hard in my life, because I have to take it daily, I usually have a cup for a month and then hide the other two months surplus. At the same time, I was scared someone may see it.

3. Even when I became undetectable (can’t transmit HIV), I was still too careful when dealing with people, it took me time to finally loosen up. A lot changed about me, I became very quiet most times, lost interest in a lot of things and questioned certain things as well.

4. Relationships became a huge task for me, infact I stop wooing babes, I’ve always wanted to date so as to lead to something but again I thought of a time I have to have this conversation on me being positive, that discouraged me a lot. Even though I can’t transmit, my mental state still shielded me from it all.

4. I hated taking pills but because I need to make sure I stay undetectable, it’s now a norm for me, one pill a day and that’s it. But this only happened because of my first visit to Umuahia, I thought I will see a few people there, but I was wrong. I saw people living with HIV for almost 40 years, people come with old family members to pick their pills and infact the look on their faces too seem like nothing is wrong, l loud and happy while I sat in the corner filled with thought. Again I saw people too who never took either never took their drugs or didn’t find out early they are positive therefore have very low viral load and have been attacked my illnesses or have lost so much weight. They are there to pick drugs too and keep trying. I learnt in most cases, some survive as well but sadly others won’t make it. After my second visit and research, I knew it nothing at all if I take my pill.

A different world Living in US:
1. Drugs remain free and infact delivered to my address once in 3 months.

2. I still continued my routine test free of charge to ensure I remain undetectable.

3. The amount of confidentiality is second to none (OMG), any health practitioner dealing with you is very careful to ensure he/she or the organisation don’t get sued so you are covered. Infact you come to the hospital like others and mixed with other people who came for different things (unlike Umuahia) where anyone walking into that part of the building is already known to be positive.

4. People are very open with being positive in US, people are well learned about HIV and already aware all they need is to be undetectable and that’s it unlike back home where majority will stigmatize when they hear “he/she has hiv” when it takes them just 10 seconds to google and learn more about it (knowledge is power).

Finally, since the 14 years (from the time I knew I was positive), I’ve only lost one girl I met at the clinic, I confirmed this from her Facebook account, I knew she probably will not find it funny because at the time I started conversing with her and others, she works for a firm in PH and lived with her Uncle who had kids, so she sometimes leaves her pills (so they won’t know) and can go weeks without taking it. I was scared for her because what anyone wouldn’t want to do is to have a “hiv drug resistance”.

Stop stigmatization, if someone is able to inform you about their status, let them know you are educated about this and inform them to stay undetectable.

Alert: I have never had fever or any serious health related issue since those years and I’m glad I pulled through this. Till date, no family or friend is aware.

I will finally start informing my siblings soon, at least telling them then will be a shock to them because we’ve all lived those years and they didn’t notice a thing and I’m already in control of my life.

HIV is not death sentence.

Be kind and Be blessed once again…. peace

If you discreetly need to speak to me, send an email to kelvinscottndu@gmail.com
I want go do my test for umuahia, does it cost much.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 10:07pm On Feb 17, 2022
[s]
rockcitie:

Are you aware that Bill Gates foundation & so many other NGOs have been funding the antiretroviral drugs & making them available all over the world for free??

Are you even aware that there are so many destitutes & low income earners all over the world (including America ) who constantly benefit from such free medication??

Do you realise that even in Naija, if you go to a private hospital for the antiretroviral medication & treatment, you will most likely have to pay money for tthose drugs. But if on the contrary you're receiving the treatment from Government owned hospitals in that same Naija the drugs are absolutely FREE??

There are some private hospitals in Naija that charge as high as 10k just to get you tested to confirm your status meanwhile the government hospitals in Naija don't charge a dime to conduct such tests.

So just as the OP rightly said, some low income earners in yhd US will not pay any money to receive those drugs becuz someone else or some organisations are already bearing the costs on their behalf.

I advise that you stop this your unnecessary back & forth argument and attack on the OP. You really don't gain anything by boldly displaying this high level of ignorance.
[/s]

I posted a documentary from the Guardian, UK, you say I should disregard it and believe anonymous sources.

Does this make sense to you?
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by 360command: 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2022
yinkeys:
@Megabig I used to think these top tier (US, UK, Australia, Canada & NZ) countries deny people with serious health compromising issues visa
Surprised you got to USA
Especially since they deny a ton of people’s visa applications daily in Lagos
Well 2008 is totally different from today.
Getting it in level 200, that’s crazy young. Congrats to getting out of that depression well.
A ton of people won’t be able to handle it.
ofcourse they will deny you visa if they know you have some type of diseases or mental state. But when you are in the USA and you have such sickness or mental disorders, they will help you 100% . Infact, I think you cam get a residency through it. I heard of a 9ja guy who had leprosy or some type of sickness. It turned to an advantage where he was able to get a stay in the USA.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2022
Theevilone:

You have been proudly sounding so stupid since.

You sit in Nigeria �� and argue when him himself is all the evidence needed.

How would feel when an American that never visited Nigeria argue with you here that Nigeria don’t have potholes on our roads because he has watched our sweet roads online.

Shut up.

Do you even know my location?

Assumption is the mother of all fuk ups.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by babzo(m): 10:15pm On Feb 17, 2022
Datikwerreboi:

But this dude has had raw sex .he wrote it himself m he didn't test any of his ladies

If raw sex always caused HIV, there would be billions with HIV in the world. It's possible to have raw sex with someone with HIV ONE TIME and not get it. Also It's easier for a man to give a woman, than a woman to a man. Please note I said EASIER, not that it doesn't happen..of course it does.
Although raw sex is VERY RISKY and the number one form of transmission!

The OP himself said the two times he had raw sex, the lady in question is now happily married with children and not showing any signs of illness, so he doesn't know if she has it or not.

It's hard to be 100% certain where one got HIV except you know of contact with someone already with the disease.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Theevilone(m): 10:23pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:

Shut up.

Do you even know my location?

Assumption is the mother of all fuk ups.

So you pay to collect your own pills �? If yes you I believe what your saying
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by rockcitie: 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:
[s][/s]

I posted a documentary from the Guardian, UK, you say I should disregard it and believe anonymous sources.

Bros you're on your own. Knowledge is power. You can read more about Bill Gates foundation.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2022
Theevilone:

So you pay to collect your own pills �? If yes you I believe what your saying

I don't have HIV but I know of someone who is and he lives in Texas.

Annoyance with you guys is that you insist I must disregard video evidence and accept fables from an anonymous forum.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by DorianD(m): 10:31pm On Feb 17, 2022
HIV has got a potential cure.in September of 2021, FDA approved Exicion's 1/2 trial of CRISPR Ebt-101 trial which should be concluded in by December 2023.Ebt 101 is a drug technology which uses gene editing to detach the hiv virus from the DNA of infected persons.This drug was successful in preclinical trial, having cured monkeys and mice infected with the hiv genome from human.Tgmhe clinical trial is simply aimed at investigating the pharmacodynamic and and kinetics of the one time drug infusion.particicipants(9) in this clinical trial are currently on a long-term Follow up(ltfu) since January.As such it is safe to say we technically have a cure in hand.you can check Temple University online weiner to follow up this research progress.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 10:31pm On Feb 17, 2022
360command:
ofcourse they will deny you visa if they know you have some type of diseases or mental state. But when you are in the USA and you have such sickness or mental disorders, they will help you 100% . Infact, I think you cam get a residency through it. I heard of a 9ja guy who had leprosy or some type of sickness. It turned to an advantage where he was able to get a stay in the USA.
Facts, when I first arrived US, I registered with this organization in manhattan, they convinced me not to go back and infact gave me a meal card, I was able to come have free lunch there every afternoon if I want, also, they have cloths and winter jackets they share to people, groceries too. The thing is, most developed countries get so much funding for illnesses and they are channeled towards the people too. When I was in Nigeria also, as at the time I loved to abj, I wasn’t getting my pill from government hospital anymore, I was getting from a sponsored private agency in Abuja. There is funding for all these and people just need to access it as well

2 Likes

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 10:34pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:
[s][/s]

you just replied me earlier that it’s free in UK from the link I sent you, and then you are saying I’m anonymous. Are you Hiv positive? Do you think you can afford the pill if it’s sold? Can you go and check how much a bottle cost? Someone else would have quoted me to say I’m lying than a person who have some sort of motive. If you pay someone to get your drugs delivered to you, you have been scammed and need to go get your money. A single goodbye search will help you.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 10:40pm On Feb 17, 2022
rockcitie:

That dude have a motive, someone probably shared my story with him because the person pays him to deliver his or her drugs and he is here trying so hard to convince they person. I don’t know why he cannot make a research. A simple google. How on earth am I going to afford antiretroviral drug? It’s over 1800 dollars for a bottle if I have to buy it. I landed JFK with 300 dollars left in my pocket. How I wan take survive. What about millions of these people who are positive and not working but on the street, how will they pay? The world is trying to end HIV and have done great in doing so. This dude arguing have a motive and I don’t know what it is. It’s on google and he can easily call one of the hospitals I sent to him. Even right there in Nigeria, it’s totally free. It’s paid for through sponsorships

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Golan007: 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2022
[s]
Megabig:
you just replied me earlier that it’s free in UK from the link I sent you, and then you are saying I’m anonymous. Are you Hiv positive? Do you think you can afford the pill if it’s sold? Can you go and check how much a bottle cost? Someone else would have quoted me to say I’m lying than a person who have some sort of motive. If you pay someone to get your drugs delivered to you, you have been scammed and need to go get your money. A single goodbye search will help you.
[/s]

I insist that you are talking nonsense.

From the documentary I provided, the cost of drugs goes for about $2000 dollars a month.

Poor people cannot afford it leading to an epidemic especially in the black communities.

To get the drugs you need to have health insurance, which isn't cheap.

The affordable care act (Obamacare( was to assist those with preexisting conditions which often excludes such persons from accessing health insurance which by its nature isn't cheap.

We can go on and on, but the truth remains, it isn't free.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Megabig: 10:42pm On Feb 17, 2022
Golan007:
[s][/s]

I insist that you are talking nonsense.

From the documentary I provided, the cost of drugs goes for about $2000 dollars a month.

Poor people cannot afford it leading to an epidemic especially in the black communities.

To get the drugs you need to have health insurance, which isn't cheap.

The affordable care act (Obamacare( was to assist those with preexisting conditions which often excludes such persons from accessing health insurance which by its nature isn't cheap.

We can go on and on, but the truth remains, it isn't free.
ok
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by segzysexy(m): 10:43pm On Feb 17, 2022
Megabig:

CD4(just call them soldiers) are cells which fight the HIV virus(call the boko haram) in the blood, therefore the more CD4 in the system, the more you win the battle. Viral load is the amount of hiv in the blood(boko haram), so the lesser the load in the blood the better for the Soldiers(CD4) fight. People can maintain their CD4 count and keep increasing it without being on drugs by eating fruits, eating healthy working out regularly and infact it stays above and sometimes keep increasing but others like myself who we’re told to start antiretroviral because we are scared(being scared reduced your immune system and makes you loose the soldiers(CD4), that’s why some people die because they feel dejected, even a healthy person loose weight when filled with thoughts) and may not maintain our count. So the antiretroviral tries to eliminate the load and reduce it to the barest minimum, that is when the virus can no longer be seen in the blood(undetectable) and then untransmittable. That also doesn’t mean I am negative, I have stay on the drugs to continue suppressing the load and keeping the soldiers(CD4) active
I understood your point.
“ My first visit there, I was not asked to start Antiretrovirals because my viral load is still above 500, what I was given was just septrin (I learnt it’s mostly to prevent cough, that’s the most deadly thing that can reduce positive person instantly).” The quoted is what I tried to correct. Viral load of 500 is high and you are supposed to be placed on anti-retroviral drugs and not just cotrim(septrim).
Good to hear that you are doing well now.

1 Like

Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Datikwerreboi(m): 11:26pm On Feb 17, 2022
babzo:

If raw sex always caused HIV, there would be billions with HIV in the world. It's possible to have raw sex with someone with HIV ONE TIME and not get it. Also It's easier for a man to give a woman, than a woman to a man. Please note I said EASIER, not that it doesn't happen..of course it does.
Although raw sex is VERY RISKY and the number one form of transmission!

The OP himself said the two times he had raw sex, the lady in question is now happily married with children and not showing any signs of illness, so he doesn't know if she has it or not.

It's hard to be 100% certain where one got HIV except you know of contact with someone already with the disease.
Even a single session of raw sex can earn u HIV, be enlightened biko
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Ochelyko1: 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2022
Megabig:
thanks for that, this isn’t a very good advice for people living with HIV, faith without works is fruitless. The advice is to stay on medication while praying. I’ve seen pastors tell int people to abandon their pills and they end up suffering it.Not saying you want me to but I assure you, people are reading and will think it’s something that will just disappear, it will not!!!!!!! People should be on their pills just like every other ailment and continue to pay for good health(HIV has never affected my health at all)

But that's what I said Bro! I said keep on taking your drugs and be praying. I know faith without work is Dead. But also one can have faith in God for healing power and it will happen as a miracle.

So while u are taking ur medication put ur total trust in God not the medication.

HIV and every other disease JESUS CHRIST remain the final cure for it. Dats how to live a KINGDOM life. Sorry oo if am talking like dis what God can't do doesn't exist!
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by MufasaLion: 11:55pm On Feb 17, 2022
gentleman82:
Don't tell your siblings of your infection status to save them from immense pain and anguish. It is better you keep it to your self. Your parents will die with huge pain in their heart. You will become like a living dead in their eyes.

Brother, the dude is doing excellently well now. He doesn't even need their pity or mental support. He's been in the storm and came out by fighting on his own.

Yes, his parents and siblings are gonna be suprised, dejected and sad, but then, they will wake up quick enough to accept the reality. The life he's made for himself now is enough to convince them that the last thing they could do for him is pity.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by Tylerbankz: 12:40am On Feb 18, 2022
Front page material.
OP, God will continue to strengthen you and will eventually heal you.
You've got a good courage.
I also pray for more strength to all those living with HIV.
God will see you all through in your harf times.
Please people, always practice safe sex.
But abstinence is the best.
DON'T SPEARED SICKNESS.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by dochenaj: 1:17am On Feb 18, 2022
Megabig:
Hello Nairalanders,

I once said I will be giving a brief summary of my journey so far living with HIV. I made an initial post but deleted most of it because it was too long. I’ll try run through my journey here, the difference between Naija and the US (which is where I reside) and maybe things I would have done differently back home.

I realized I was positive in 2008. That was while still in 2nd year in the university, I won’t go into details how I felt, but what led to me privately going for a HIV test was because I had chronic headaches while in campus, infact I went home and told my parents I had migraine, we went to different hospitals and of course paid bills and got pills for migraine, when I went back to school, it continued. I tried with several pills to sure that but on doing a couple of research, I thought I should go for a hiv test, I went and then was positive. I informed my parents immediately that my migraine is gone (lol) because they kept asking how I was doing, they thought I should return maybe after 3 months to go for another general examination but because I now know what’s up, I told them I’m good.

I went to one Catholic confession because I was not sure who to tell, I don’t trust anyone including my sisters, that means I had all the secret myself. When I told the priest, he then asked me to wait after and directed me to a clinic at FMC Umuahia. My first visit there, I was not asked to start Antiretrovirals because my viral load is still above 500, what I was given was just septrin (I learnt it’s mostly to prevent cough, that’s the most deadly thing that can reduce positive person instantly).

I managed my viral load for almost 2 years until I moved from Abia to Abuja. In Abj, every positive person have to start taking Antiretroviral so I started taking that (one pill a day). Even at that time, I never told anyone, I fought and got a visa to move out of Naija and it’s been stressless all these years in the states.
Here are the disadvantages:

1. Visiting FMC Umuahia was horrible, there is confidentiality in terms of files and others. The nurses are terrible, once I get there on my scheduled appointment (of course with maybe 70-100 other people), I’ll sit at the back and they have to scream when they are calling names and everyone will turn to see who the person is. I know we all there are positive but at least respect me for once.

2. Because I wanted to be discreet which eventually paid off (please tell people you trust if you have to, me being discreet was tasking, I wish I had the courage to talk but sadly I don’t trust anyone), I had to hide my drugs, I haven’t seen something so hard in my life, because I have to take it daily, I usually have a cup for a month and then hide the other two months surplus. At the same time, I was scared someone may see it.

3. Even when I became undetectable (can’t transmit HIV), I was still too careful when dealing with people, it took me time to finally loosen up. A lot changed about me, I became very quiet most times, lost interest in a lot of things and questioned certain things as well.

4. Relationships became a huge task for me, infact I stop wooing babes, I’ve always wanted to date so as to lead to something but again I thought of a time I have to have this conversation on me being positive, that discouraged me a lot. Even though I can’t transmit, my mental state still shielded me from it all.

4. I hated taking pills but because I need to make sure I stay undetectable, it’s now a norm for me, one pill a day and that’s it. But this only happened because of my first visit to Umuahia, I thought I will see a few people there, but I was wrong. I saw people living with HIV for almost 40 years, people come with old family members to pick their pills and infact the look on their faces too seem like nothing is wrong, l loud and happy while I sat in the corner filled with thought. Again I saw people too who never took either never took their drugs or didn’t find out early they are positive therefore have very low viral load and have been attacked my illnesses or have lost so much weight. They are there to pick drugs too and keep trying. I learnt in most cases, some survive as well but sadly others won’t make it. After my second visit and research, I knew it nothing at all if I take my pill.

A different world Living in US:
1. Drugs remain free and infact delivered to my address once in 3 months.

2. I still continued my routine test free of charge to ensure I remain undetectable.

3. The amount of confidentiality is second to none (OMG), any health practitioner dealing with you is very careful to ensure he/she or the organisation don’t get sued so you are covered. Infact you come to the hospital like others and mixed with other people who came for different things (unlike Umuahia) where anyone walking into that part of the building is already known to be positive.

4. People are very open with being positive in US, people are well learned about HIV and already aware all they need is to be undetectable and that’s it unlike back home where majority will stigmatize when they hear “he/she has hiv” when it takes them just 10 seconds to google and learn more about it (knowledge is power).

Finally, since the 14 years (from the time I knew I was positive), I’ve only lost one girl I met at the clinic, I confirmed this from her Facebook account, I knew she probably will not find it funny because at the time I started conversing with her and others, she works for a firm in PH and lived with her Uncle who had kids, so she sometimes leaves her pills (so they won’t know) and can go weeks without taking it. I was scared for her because what anyone wouldn’t want to do is to have a “hiv drug resistance”.

Stop stigmatization, if someone is able to inform you about their status, let them know you are educated about this and inform them to stay undetectable.

Alert: I have never had fever or any serious health related issue since those years and I’m glad I pulled through this. Till date, no family or friend is aware.

I will finally start informing my siblings soon, at least telling them then will be a shock to them because we’ve all lived those years and they didn’t notice a thing and I’m already in control of my life.

HIV is not death sentence.

Be kind and Be blessed once again…. peace

If you discreetly need to speak to me, send an email to kelvinscottndu@gmail.com
You used viral load instead of CD4 count in your writeup.
Re: My HIV Journey In Nigeria Vs US (Pros And Cons) by drololaaof: 2:19am On Feb 18, 2022
Your long tory you did not tell us how you acquire it? Stop blaming us in Africa but thank God you are fortunate to get treated. You are the most dangerous person on earth,your being careful is masquerade. If you have not receive treatment from the place you are castigating now you'll be dead and have NO opportunity to travel to USA.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

The Hymen: A Membrane Widely Misunderstood / Lady Dies After Giving Birth To Her 2nd Set Of Triplets At Traditional Delivery / I May Have Lost My Leg But I Gained Something Better; Lady On Her Birthday. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.