Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse (16162 Views)

Over 400 People Dead, 1000 Injured As Massive Earthquake Hits Nepal / Document Exposes Plot To Collapse Nigeria’s Economy By US & Britain / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 5:51pm On Aug 12, 2007
fear not baby, i'm making sure to stay on the right side of the law from now on. tongue
Denex is actually so much fun to argue with, at least he makes sense sometimes. grin
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2007
I can sleep well now!!!! Enjoy!!!! Off for Sunday Brunch!!!!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2007
BABEELOVE:

I can sleep well now!!!! Enjoy!!!! Off for Sunday Brunch!!!!

have fun baby (awww now i have a nickname for u isnt that lovely). wink
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Nobody: 1:41am On Aug 13, 2007
PTH:

Hmm david,na eye I dey look you for this nairaland grin

babeelove don become baby now.
God is indeed good!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 2:02am On Aug 13, 2007
babyosisi:

God is indeed good!

my dear, what would Jesus do? grin i'm just loving my neighbour.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 3:20am On Aug 13, 2007
PTH:

babyosisi:

God is indeed good!

I say I am serving a living God!!! grin
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 7:39am On Aug 13, 2007
Which one all of una dey follow me drag cigarette for my mouth. I last smoked in April, but I haven't quit.

MILITIA! MILITIA!! MILITIA!!!
which one all of una dey go wear new cloth enter Nairaland?

Meanwhile, it's now 8 people confirmed dead from the bridge collapse. Small by small sha, they're getting there.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 7:46am On Aug 13, 2007
My mistake jare, it's not 8 confirmed dead. It's actually 9 confirmed dead at this moment.

The last body so far they claimed was recovered on Sunday afternoon.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 7:49am On Aug 13, 2007
denex:

Which one all of una dey follow me drag cigarette for my mouth. I last smoked in April, but I haven't quit.

MILITIA! MILITIA!! MILITIA!!!
which one all of una dey go wear new cloth enter Nairaland?

Meanwhile, it's now 8 people confirmed dead from the bridge collapse. Small by small sha, they're getting there.

Who is MILITIA  for God's sake shocked

Are you actually classifying me amongst the "banned" recycled goods of Nairaland  How dare you denex!!!  Come to think of it!!!  I actually loved MILITIA!!!  Thanks for the compliment anyway cool

Why are you so obsessed with this collapsed bridge matter  People are dying everyday in Nigeria and all you can do is count how many people are dying in America for some freak accident-----  And why do you bite your nails for the love of Nigeria And you must give up smoking. Nigeria has not frustrated you up to that point!!!!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 8:26am On Aug 13, 2007
@BABEELOVE

you know yourself.

I would have been covering the deaths of people in Nigeria if the US media wasn't already so obsessed with that. In fact so obsessed that they forget to mention their own.

In fact, why I'm particularly obsessed with this matter is that it is the first time in my life I have seen a catastrophic even in which the number of CONFIRMED DEATHS reduced!

It has never happened before. I swear from 7 to 9 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9. It's amazing.

Then the missing went from 30 to 8 just after about 4 were found.

Generally, this event was a phenomenon worthy of the Guinness Books.

By the way, did you know that a gunman stormed a church and killed 3 people and injured a couple more yesterday in Missouri.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:00am On Aug 13, 2007
Denex, I will disagree with you on that. The oyinbo media does not focus on Nigeria alone. They carry their own news big (BIG) time. People tend to think that western media is only good at carrying news from other places. Well, that's what the News media houses are for. To carry news from anywhere in the globe (theirs are not exempted).

If you are in Nigeria, I’m sure you got to know what’s happening (so far you are aware of how many people have died) because they are broadcasting it themselves.

quote:
In fact so obsessed that they forget to mention their own.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:02am On Aug 13, 2007
denex:

@BABEELOVE

you know yourself. tongue

Generally, this event was a phenomenon worthy of the Guinness Books.

By the way, did you know that a gunman stormed a church and killed 3 people and injured a couple more yesterday in Missouri.

What exactly are you driving at

omoge:

Denex, I will disagree with you on that. The oyinbo media does not focus on Nigeria alone. They carry their own news big (BIG) time. People tend to think that western media is only good at carrying news from other places. Well, that's what the News media houses are for. To carry news from anywhere in the globe (theirs are not exempted).

If you are in Nigeria, I’m sure you got to know what’s happening (so far you are aware of how many people have died) because they are broadcasting it themselves.

In fact so obsessed that they forget to mention their own.

The guy--denex---- is baffling!!!  What are you driving at I ask It always amazes me how denex can sit in Nigeria and analyze the goings on in America.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2007
denex, e be like say you just dey make mouth my friend wink. dey inside oyinbo country working 9-5 collecting dollar, end of day glue ya self to CNN and it's siblings media houses channel and come dey yap here say you dey nigeria and know the latest news grin grin

i know that style. you are in between (should i go for US or go for Nig) kind of guy. we opekes can smell the ratty grin
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:10am On Aug 13, 2007
don't buy that Bebelove. He is in the US. it's so easy to see. Check it out real well and you don't need to look farther lol
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:12am On Aug 13, 2007
omoge:

don't buy that Bebelove. He is in the US. it's so easy to see. Check it out real well and you don't need to look farther lol

Did you see his profile pix  That is a typical Nigerian VGC room.--------Poverty written every where in the room.  No wonder the guy is smoking himself to death, and biting his nails for bed time snacks.  No pictures on the wall, some prison type looking sheets, no curtains or blinds.  The bobo dey Bonny camp jo!!!! grin
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Iman3(m): 9:14am On Aug 13, 2007
omoge:

Its obvious he is not in the US.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2007
that's just ol' pic he snapped back in those day. the pic is kinda old looking, take a closer look at the wall and bed style. he just scanned some old picture to put sand for people eyes my sister. Opekes and ogbologbos can smell such ratty  cheesy
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:18am On Aug 13, 2007
omoge:

that's just ol' pic he snapped back in those day. the pic is kind of old looking, take a closer look at the wall and bed style. he just scanned some old picture to put sand for people eyes my sister. Opekes and ogbologbos can smell such ratty  cheesy

If you say so!!!  But I have my doubts!!! How can someone be on a foreign soil and be making all that noise.  When you know they pay for your garri and sugar  That is the height of madness I will say. 

Like say I dey for yankee now come dey curse them Just be prepared to get the almighty "Osuofia" treatment!!! In this day and age of mass hysteria and paranoia
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 9:20am On Aug 13, 2007
Okay, I sorry for una. So you people do not know that what Sky News, CNN and BBC shows locally is different from what they show Internationally?

Abeg, I get unbiased news from ZDTV, Al Jazeera, CCNA, Xinhua and searching on google.

Make una siddon dey wait for objective news from US sources.

@omoge

see your mentality. So anybody wey show a high level of awareness must be located in the US? I'm finished!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:23am On Aug 13, 2007
denex:

Okay, I sorry for una. So you people do not know that what Sky News, CNN and BBC shows locally is different from what they show Internationally?

Abeg, I get unbiased news from ZDTV, Al Jazeera, CCNA, Xinhua and searching on google.

Make una siddon dey wait for objective news from US sources.

@omoge

see your mentality. So anybody wey show a high level of awareness must be located in the US? I'm finished!

She means propaganda dude!!!  Which kind of one sided, baised and acrimonious awareness are you proclaiming to have

You have a mohadana-okoroamadi-dimka type mindset if I must say. Once something enters your blood, you can never deviate from it!!! Are you a zombie
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:23am On Aug 13, 2007
they can. Tim McVeigh did it. some pple just don't like america so they don't really care and can yap a great deal while they go grab that dollar the next day. well, he might be surfing on yahoo news or goggling latest news abt america. but hey, who cares? stuffs happens anywhere, america, britain and nigeria are all plannet earth.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by omoge(f): 9:30am On Aug 13, 2007
high level of awareness? undecided
let me go grab my morning sleep o jare. Bebelove, nice being on a page with ya wink
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:31am On Aug 13, 2007
omoge:

they can. Tim McVeigh did it. some people just don't like america so they don't really care and can yap a great deal while they go grab that dollar the next day. well, he might be surfing on yahoo news or goggling latest news about america. but hey, who cares? stuffs happens anywhere, america, britain and nigeria are all plannet earth.

Exactly! But the die-hard criticisms of America is mind-boggling!!!  I wish we can address Nigeria's problems with the same level of energy!!! grin
omoge:

high level of awareness? undecided
let me go grab my morning sleep o jare. Bebelove, nice being on a page with ya wink

Go well my sister!  I will grab some soon!  Gotta work this afternoon!!!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 9:47am On Aug 13, 2007
@BABEELOVE

Oh, I get it now. So she meant for somebody to spread one sided propaganda, they have to be located in the US. Well, thank God I'm not. I'm real home grown brown sugar still in the zone.

@omoge

so when it happens in the US, we are reminded that stuff happens anywhere on planet earth, but when it happens in Nigeria, it is because of $1 per day, corruption, bad leadership and backwardness?

Abeg, I think you should read the script to my next reality based movie:

"MISSING IN ACTION PART 4" (The Iraqi Story)

Quite similar to the Chuck Norris action flick about US soldiers lost after the Vietnam War in the late 1960s. And efforts by US soldiers and Government to find a solution.

However this is sort of different in that the location is Iraq, the time is right now, the perpetuators are the US Soldiers and the US Government, and the missing object is ultimately MONEY.

300,000 barrels of oil per day missing from iraq. That's enough crude to fuel Nigeria daily or in terms of cash, $30 billion since the US colonized Iraq. ie about the whole of Nigeria's foreign reserve STOLEN!

380 tonnes of explosives missing in Iraq from US Army secured bunkers. At this rate, you'd wonder if there's any need for IED raw materials to be coming in from Iran. Depending on the exact type and use of these explosives, their worth could be up to $4 billion.

$12 billion of money approved for the Iraqi war missing. That is approximately the budget of Nigeria for an entire year. One must wonder if truly this war is about mistaken Weapons of Mass Destruction, what are people doing stealing billions of dollars, siphoning hundreds of thousands of Crude Oil daily and distributing and reselling 380,000 kilograms of bombs to insurgents?

Approximately 200,000 firearms allocated to the US Army in Iraq missing. About 110,000 AK-47s and 80,000 pistols. Basically redistributed and resold to "insurgents" in Iraq. That's enough guns to adequately arm every Nigerian Soldier with non AK-47 and a sidearm pistol each, leaving an excess of 30,000 AK-47s for future use. So far this gun trade seems fairly new. It puts about $200 million in the hands of corrupt US Soldiers and Government Officials while putting in the hands of the Iraqis, the means to slaughter themselves and inadvertently, US Soldiers.

MISSING GUNS:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6932710.stm

MISSING OIL:

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/15/1514256

MISSING CASH:

www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2008189,00.html

general summary of the missing:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Daily_Show_explores_mysteries_of_missing_0809.html

now, there is also the great mystery of the 18 missing "missing" people from this bridge collapse.(no. That wasn't a typo. There are about 18 missing missing people from that incident). 30 people missing, then about 4 were found in hospitals, then 8 were declared actually missing, and the rest 18? This is what I term the "missing missing" those missing from the missing an absolutely unaccounted for.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 9:49am On Aug 13, 2007
Are you sure you are not related to Mohadana shocked You are really frightening. Please, America is not our country---let us concentrate on our own problems I beg you. If Nigerians has 1/100th of the fighting spirit of Americans--we will not be were we are today. Now tell me, Iraq was invaded by America on purpose--I agree, for whatever selfish reasons.

Despite the fact that the whole world has abandoned the course in Iraq as a useless one, the Americans refuse to cut and run. Still fighting and shedding more blood on both sides. You here posting your Mohadana-style links here. They are busy trying to solve their own problems and here you are neglecting yours and sleeping with America and her problems on your mind.

My dear--just relax!!!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 10:35am On Aug 13, 2007
Relax ke? Oh so they have their own problems yet they concentrate on hours?

We too, why can't we have our own problems and concentrate on theirs.

So who is advocating for a one-sided bias now eh? Who is clamouring for double standards in favour of the US now?

I'm do not turn the other cheek!

A couple of days ago there was a flood in Lagos through a dam at the Ogun border. Unfortunately, 4 Nigerians lost their lives and 300 people had to abandon their flooded houses.

What did we hear on CNN? (as usual, playing action themed soundtracks): "20 killed and tens of thousands fleeing Lagos as floods ravaged the Nigerian state."

I had to wipe my eyes and think, this same Lagos wey I dey so dey catch my trips? Tens of thousands? Haba?

I had to switch to local news to hear what really happened then straight to google to confirm.

So people go dey lie against us and you won't let me tell the truth about them. Abeg free me O! That one has even left the level of bias. It is now trias.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 10:45am On Aug 13, 2007
Aren't you being a little delusional here.  They do not concentrate on your problems trust me!  You think the same stories you see on your DSTV and Sky or what ever you call them is what Americans see When I visited both countries, I was amazed at what type of news was being disseminated to Africa.  On getting to America, it was a whole different ball game.  My dear, what you are seeing are selectively filtered pieces of news.  America only focuses on Africa when there is a threat to the oil supply and to check the flow of diseases that we cannot cure.  Also, to monitor their paranoia of terrorist activites, since they understand our African governments so well.

I feel ashamed that the western world understands us better than we understand them.  Yes we were colonized be the Brits!!!  But I do not think we learned much from the experience and it is shameful!!!  Yet we call them "mugu" because we can fleece some of them for a "fist full of dollars"!!!  You really do not understand the quicksand the whole African race is in.  I wake up most days very depressed on how a group of people I share hereditary links with can exist and yet not exist!!!! denex, you are very naive!!!!  Your mentality and arguements really confirms the general hopelessness of the whole African continent.  The good news is that it is not going to be for ever.  But the bad news is that "not in this life time" will we see any change!  Sorry!!!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by k0be: 10:49am On Aug 13, 2007
let me say this, the toll for victims did finally just hit 9 today.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by BABEELOVE(f): 11:04am On Aug 13, 2007
Please count the toll of Nigerians dying every day from lack of collapsed bridges!!!! You are taking solace in seeing some type of tragedy in America Don't go and sell them billions of barrells of oil to solve their problems! If a bridge collaped in Nigeria we will be talking thousands and all you can count is 9?-----------You guys are really something else oh!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 11:11am On Aug 13, 2007
@koBe

you mean yesterday afternoon with the discovery of Richard Chit.

@BABEELOVE

Like I told you before, I know that they do not concentrate on our problems on their local channels, they talk about their own issues. But when it comes to their INTERNATIONAL Channels, that's when they hide their own dirty linen and concentrate on us.

That is why the only news station wey dey still talk true small, small na C-Span, next thing dem order DSTV to drop dem from their bouquet! Order from above the above.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by TayoD(m): 11:12am On Aug 13, 2007
@denex,

A bridge collapsed in Minnesota USA during rush hour on Wednesday, 1st of August 2007.

At least 9 people were confirmed killed, more than 60 injured and a dramatic pile of rubble is what remains between the Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA.
Rescue operations have been ended and attempts are being made to recover any missing dead bodies and about 50 vehicles which plunged into the river. Rescue operations have been toned down due to the darkness and poor lighting conditions so as not to risk the lives of rescuers.

The department for homeland security of the US government has declared no sign of terrorism, but rather some form of engineering failure. The bridge collapsed at about 7 pm local time.
With all your huffing and puffing, you have not provided us with any links that confirm your assertion that 9 people were reported to be killed immediately after the tragedy. Like I said earlier, the same CNN you were claiming as your source only said 3 people were confirmed killed at that time. other local media claimed just one. Where you get your story from, na only you sabi. Instead of saying you were hallucinating, you would rather blame it all on conspiracy.

Several civilians were at the location and none has disputed the figures. Infact, it happens near the University of Minnesota where you can be sure of people not only raising eyebrows but also their voices if they noticed anything fishy. A whole Presidency can not even hide the details of the unlawful revelation of a CIA operative and you think they can get away with the lives of some Americans? I think not. I know you are aware that you have good company here. People who are willing and ready to expose the US if and when they could. They would not be silent if your case was right.

So my friend, take a chill pill and go by facts and not speculations.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 1:37pm On Aug 13, 2007
@TayoD

I'm not a madman, I am not on some kind of hallucinogenic, all I want is for the truth to be known. Since you have confirmed that you never knew 9 people were confirmed dead on the day of the incident before the figure was later dressed up to 4, I will give you a link or two.

Authorities confirm 9 dead (02/08/2007)

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/08/02/1185648017327.html

The genesis and resurrection

http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20070802-02363400-bc-us-bridgecollapse.xml

The downgrading of the dead:
http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read/93921

More on that?

http://news.webindia123.com/news/articles/World/20070802/731149.html

http://shrimphead..com/2007/08/minneapolis-bridge-collapses-photos.html

I hope you are now clear that these earlier 9 dead was not a figment of my imagination. From the USA to India to Australia now to Nigeria. Do you still believe that it's all just my hallucination?

I saw with my own naked eyes the chief medic in charge mounting the podium and announcing 9 people confirmed dead. Only to wake up in the morning and the story had been polished. Thank God for the internet, some people saved it. If not, I would have certified myself.

Funny enough, they refuse to count the people working under the bridge. Maybe they are hispanics or black people sha.

@BABEELOVE

At least if 1000 people die in Nigeria, the government will say 1000 people died. Not yankee where 35 people will die and they will say it is only 4.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Russian Ambassador Says Poland Blocked His Embassy's Bank Accounts / France To Close Embassies Over Cartoon Publication / I Hope Castro Dies Soon: John McCain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.