Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,304 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse (16156 Views)

Over 400 People Dead, 1000 Injured As Massive Earthquake Hits Nepal / Document Exposes Plot To Collapse Nigeria’s Economy By US & Britain / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by daprince: 7:12pm On Aug 03, 2007
They got to hold Gov. Tim Pawlenty partly responsible.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 03, 2007
need your kind comments my people.
naija police have gone berserk
islander,you must have something to say

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-70142.0.html
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Islander(f): 7:14pm On Aug 03, 2007
Babyosisi,
As soon as I find some time I will check it out. And rest assured I will add my 2cents( I came out mouth-first from my Mama cheesy)
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by osereka(m): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2007
if na naija hnmm= incompetent  engineers, corrupt politician + indicipline citizen. yes that is how CNN will put it.
now na yankee = it is an act of God,
NOW SOME PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE SAY  AMERICA NA THE HIGHEST DONNOR  ABI?
now where do they get all the money? is it not what they are taking by force from oda nations they are using?
some even say they are giving Iraqis relief materials abi?
tell me who is controlling Iraqis oil now?. what is the real reason america invade iraq? no be becous of their oil?
Wepon of mass destruction, WHERE  E DEY?
AND FOR THOSE WHO THINK EVERY BODI IN NAIJA DE ENVY THOSE WHO DE FOR AMERICA, NA BIG MISTAKE  YOU MAKE O.
                                                       AS FOR FOR ME NAIJA FOREVER!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by texazzpete(m): 7:50pm On Aug 03, 2007
For those evil minded trolls jubilating that a bridge collapsed, killing many innocent civillians, i hope they get to experience the same thing.

Even if anti-americanism is the current fad among all the intellectually challenged, some sort of humanity and concern for the injured and dead is in order. Instead we're seeing fools on NL squabbling over the number of dead people and crafting nonsensical conspiracy theories of death-toll cover ups.

Pathetic
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Carlosein(m): 8:04pm On Aug 03, 2007
For those evil minded trolls jubilating that a bridge collapsed, killing many innocent civillians, i hope they get to experience the same thing

@poster above

i hope not please they don't need to experience this to know how to talk in public.

they were jus not thinking
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Carlosein(m): 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2007
oh texazzpete na you ok now
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by mimketty: 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2007
what a disaster? people are dying everyday all over the world. it is actually the lives the departed lived that will determine if the soul will rest in peace or not. it is suprising that in america a bridge can collapse cos we have their men everywhere constructing bridges in various countries.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 11:29pm On Aug 03, 2007
@Seun

Mr ban and unban, shey you have used your veto power to tilt the argument in favour of your opinions. Now you have unbanned so that I will come back and be subservient to you?

I no blame you. You are no different from the people whom you believe are bad. This is what Bush does, this is what Hitler did.

So am I supposed to come back now and feel sorry?
I've been watching CNN and they keep playing some sorrowful hymnals songs so that they may draw pity. If it's people that died in Iraq, they will play action soundtrack. If it's Palestinians that died, you will hear bass drums rolling exciting adrenaline pumping instrumentals. Now because US citizens have perished they want to play the blues. And you want to force me into sympathy using your administrative powers. You try at all.

I know you can re-ban me, you can strike out my message, you can even freeze the thread. I know all the tricks, I moderate several fora and groups too. Or do you forget that as far back as 2002/2003 we moderated together on a group?

You first invited me to this group about 2 years ago, in fact, the very day you just finished creating it. But I really don't know why I refused to join. Well, my brother, now I know. This is not a forum, it's an avenue for you to play God.

You have banned me several times now in the past 2 weeks. Once for daring to correct a white man, once for supporting the death sentence which you are opposed to, once for speaking the truth, and now, just because you got itchy fingers.

Well, besides Nairaland, I you haven't forgotten that there is hi5, there's myspace, there's yahoo messenger, there's the Nigerian Student Group, there's yahoo360, and I still have my blog so it is not only nairaland that one can use to while away time.

I come in here to inform and to educate, but since you're not paying me a salary, don't hand me an unwritten brochure on how to do it.

So I'll answer TayoD's question which you tried to prevent me from answering in order to make me seem dumb. I will answer the question and then cease all further posting. I'll only be coming in here to see people wallow in your opinions and see how you're handling you new found position as God.

Hallowed be thy name, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Oluwa-Seun Osewa!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 11:31pm On Aug 03, 2007
@TayoD

I see the problem you're having here is that you want to only count those people that the USA put its hands on their neck and strangled to death.

You forget that before the US Colonization of Iraq, the Al Qaeda was not on ground in Iraq. All the deaths caused by Al Qaeda in Iraq all adds up to the USA's tab.

The sectarian violence, and porous borders, how did this all come to be? All on the USA's tab.

The children that have died due to starvation, lack of medical and water resources, who bombed all the infrastructure. Count those dead babies in too.

The dead prisoners because of over crowding and/or torture, count them along.

Then don't forget the invasion war proper and "operation shock and awe" are we counting all those too? What about all the police recruits bombed in recruitment centres? Or are they not Arabs too?

Millions have been killed and I didn't see you come here to sympathise. Don't sit in your armchair and view life through a periscope.

And we've not even started counting Afghanistan's casualties yet and you know the recent bombing of civilians over there.

I'm asking you whether the US sympathises with Nigerians during times of disaster or they go further to condemn Nigerians. Now you are telling me about Indonesians. Are Indonesians Nigerians? Are Indonesians Iraqis? Are Indonesians Afghans? Are Indonesians Arabs?

Wetin concern canoe with side mirror?
As you claim that they do it for every country, I wonder why they haven't done that for Nigeria or any of their two new colonies.
These are the same people that have been experimenting on how to use natural disasters in warfare and have been using it.

If you say that there is no use entering the water to retrieve corpses, that means all the 30 people missing are confirmed dead! If not, why would they abandon them if they were just missing?

Why all the lies sef? From 7 dead to 9 dead, all of a sudden, it declines to only 4 dead now it's 5 again. A rescue worker who was on ground counted 9 dead bodies on the first night and all of a sudden people are accusing me of conspiracy theories? Did the rest resurrect? And who are these missing? Did they get Assumed into heaven? Death Toll Expected To Rise, yet it's been falling since. I'm sure by the time this is all over, there will be no dead! All would have resurrected. Rubbish.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by my2cents(m): 6:12am On Aug 04, 2007
Lesson of the day:

America is like any regular place on this planet. nothing special about it. It has poor people, corrupt people, bad elections, bad neighborhoods, etc. I don't know why so many people put it on a pedestal. Thanks to the internet and media outlets like CNN, our pple at home are seeing it for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it is better than Nigeria on any given day. However, that doesn't mean it is shielded from the struggles of life and that most certainly shouldn't stop anyone from wanting to be there.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by TCUBE(m): 7:21am On Aug 04, 2007
things happen, america should not be seen as a nation of perfection and americans shouldnt see this sad event as a sign of weakness, things happen, may the lord give the bereaved families the courage to bear the loss
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by otokx(m): 9:10am On Aug 04, 2007
@DAPRINCE

I have never applied for an american visa; double standards is what the american government plus media and even some of her people stand for.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by gidig(m): 9:15am On Aug 04, 2007
Ordinarily, I would not have posted to a topic ike this But I am scandalised by the conduct of so many people here. The fact is that a bridge has collapsed; people have suffered misfortune and it is being celebrated as an act that proves that America is also as bad as Nigeria. Peopple have died from this tragic incident and that should be unuf reason for remorse. I may not agree with the policies of teh Ameriacn government on all fronts or teh way some Nigerians based abroad constantly condemn Nigeria but that has nothingto do with the lives of the people lost-in America or anywhere in teh world.

Show some respect people!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Afam(m): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2007
@denex,

The best way to handle Seun is to ignore him and pretend as if the ban never took place as that will hurt him more than it will please him. Sometimes, I feel he is only craving for attention.

I hope I get banned for life on this forum because it makes me sick to see him allow people post trash here and when you challenge some of them he bans you based on his limited knowledge of the subject matter.

A lot of good posters have left this forum, thanks to his recklessness.

@topic,

It seems we like diverting issues here.

It is sad that people died and it is indeed bad for any innocent person to die.

Now, can we compare the coverage of these deaths (4, 6 abi na cool to what happens in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan every day?

Or, is it ok for people to die in their tens or even hundreds as long as they are non americans or israelites?

This is the issue being raised, enough of the diversion.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 11:54am On Aug 04, 2007
@Afam

the reason why I had to mention it this time is that when people are in the midst of a debate and Almighty Seun bans them, others will not realize what happened. They'll think you're not posting because you have nothing to say.

So I think it's best I let him and everybody know that what he is doing is manipulative and very bias.

I was quoting an American, John Stewart, who said just 2 days before the collapse of the bridge that with the flooding in England and other recent disasters around the world, "thank God that everybody is now getting an equal share of what is going on in Iraq." John Stewart is an American and he or his program has not been banned. Why Seun go come threaten me for nairaland to show sympathy or else?

As for those calling for us to show "remorse", I must say I didn't do it. Those calling for pity, I'll show as much pity as JUDGE Bush showed when he ordered the slaughter of Arabs.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by tectona(m): 1:29pm On Aug 04, 2007
@denex

true talk my brother.

America has issues, i just think its one of the most hypocritical and conniving countries.
abeg them to pretend haba
as much as i sympathize over the innocent lives that were lost. i still think America should also have some taste of the pudding, about how it feels to lose citizens.
they do not think of the people that die daily in Iraq, they come here and seek for pity.
the CNN and other news stations, don't attribute it to bad government and poor maintainable system.
but if it were to happen to another country they would keep feasting on it like they got no other better news to broadcast, in fact they would dig up all the past failures of that country and add to the problem.
i think they should learn to mind their own business and stick their dirty mouth out of people's business, then they can gain sympathy and full support from some nations.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by fawwyb(m): 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2007
May the soul of the departed rest in peace, People die everyday in this world, one day it might be your turn - remember death is not negotiable cry cry
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 4:48pm On Aug 04, 2007
No comment.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Afam(m): 6:18pm On Aug 04, 2007
I second the "no comment" comment.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by dearstan(m): 6:46pm On Aug 04, 2007
@denex

Na true you talk my broda. you said just everything i had in mind.

@seun

i think you should advise someone before banning. atleast people have diverse opinions and should be free to express them.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2007
@dearstan

howdy? Longest time no see. Have you seen the picture on your brother's hi5 profile? He looks like a convict. Yours are cool though. How runs? I'll be hooking up with y'all very soon.

This collapsed is the first disaster in the world which saw number of confirmed casualties reduce from 9 to finally end up at 4 and I'm sure it's going to get less. I swear, by the end of the day, I won't be suprised if the number of confirmed casualties reduce to nil.

And people want me to sit down and keep quiet.

In total, I suspect a total of more than 20 dead but figures are being manipulated. Later people will say our leaders are bad.

Anyway sh'a, I no even send again.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2007
denex:

This collapsed is the first disaster in the world which saw number of confirmed casualties reduce from 9 to finally end up at 4 and I'm sure it's going to get less. I swear, by the end of the day, I won't be suprised if the number of confirmed casualties reduce to nil.

And people want me to sit down and keep quiet.

In total, I suspect a total of more than 20 dead but figures are being manipulated. Later people will say our leaders are bad.

What really is your point? At least 30 people are still confirmed missing and most likely dead.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by osereka(m): 7:46pm On Aug 04, 2007
@pth, the point is clear
AMERICA = DOUBLE STANDARD!
IF NA SEUN CASE, IS BETTER TO IGNORE HIM
he banned OPURO, then I register anoda name
IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 8:20pm On Aug 04, 2007
@PTH

those confirmed missing have also diminished to just 8. It's no more 30. You never see anything.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by osereka(m): 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2007
may be na only the white among the victim dem de count
black o, arab o, indian o, any thing coloured according to them, is less than human
YES THATS HOW THEY THINK!
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2007
denex:

@PTH

those confirmed missing have also diminished to just 8. It's no more 30. You never see anything.

nope! i just bought a copy of the newspapers this morning and at least 30 individuals are still declared missing, divers are recording licensce plate numbers of submerged cars to identify the missing.

Dont sit there in Lagos pretending to know more than those living in Mississipi.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 9:09pm On Aug 04, 2007
osereka:

may be na only the white among the victim them de count
black o, arab o, indian o, any thing coloured according to them, is less than human
YES THATS HOW THEY THINK!

what an idiotic post. A schooll bus that narrowly escaped falling into the river was carrying a larger percentage of black and latino kids. they were given special mention on PrimeTime news yesterday and i saw 3 of the black kids being interviewed along with their grandmother. The CNN hero was the latino kid who helped them out.

If you are ignorant of the facts pls keep quiet.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2007
please can we all get along?
no name callings abeg
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by TayoD(m): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2007
@topic,

It is wise for people to hold off their tongues and pens or keyboard until all the facts come in and are analysed. That's one of the reasons I have not said so much on this topic becuase things are still unfolding.

@denex,

I feel your pain with the way Seun banned you. I personally think the only reason why anybody should be banned should be limited to character assasination and personal attacks. Airing your opinion, however way-off should be welcomed. Like it or not, either respond to it or ignore and move along.

You see why it isn't good to jump to conclusions? Instead of acknowledging your faulty information source, you would rather try to invoke another conspiracy theories about the numbers of dead and missing or wounded. I remember at the time the news was unfolding, CNN said 3 were killed and most of the local news agencies said only 1.

It is confirmed as at this morning that 5 people are dead. They are:
- Julia Blackhawk: A 32 year old mother of two with an American Indian heritage
- Sherry Engebretsen: A 60 year old mother of two who worked at Thrivent Financial
- Artemio Trinidad-Mena: A 29 year old father of four. a recent immigratn to the US from Mexico.
- Patrick Holmes: A 36 year old father of two and an exercice therapist and coach.
- Paul Eickstadt: A 51 year old truck driver. His death is the latest to be confirmed.

Still missing include a pregnant Somali immigrant with her young daughter amongst others. The number of missing will be reviewd downwards once contact is established between the individuals and their families or corpses are found and identified.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by denex: 9:36pm On Aug 04, 2007
@PTH

I think you should read the Chicago Tribune or their webpage.
Re: 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse by PTH(m): 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2007
denex:

@PTH

I think you should read the Chicago Tribune or their webpage.

i think TayoD's post will suffice for now. Maybe you can read that eh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Russian Ambassador Says Poland Blocked His Embassy's Bank Accounts / France To Close Embassies Over Cartoon Publication / I Hope Castro Dies Soon: John McCain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.