Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,850 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK (54923 Views)

FG To Take Possession Of Looted Benin Bronze When Returned From Germany / The Moment President Buhari Returned From London After A 10-Day Private Visit / See How Atiku Was Mobbed When He Returned From US. Dele Momodu Shares Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by gevans(m): 3:10pm On Feb 19, 2022
Oba of Benin Receives Returned Bronze Heads in his palace. FG rep, and other dignitaries are present in the reception ceremony. One of bronze is valued at Two Million Pounds.

Oba Of Benin Takes Delivery Of Looted ‘Okpa,’ ‘Ilahor’ Returned From UK

The Bronze cockerel known as ‘Okpa’ and the Oba head bronze known as ‘Ilahor’ have been returned to the palace of the Oba in Benin City, Edo State capital.

The artefacts were returned in a ceremony held on Saturday at the Oba Palace.

The bronzes were accompanied by the Nigerian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom Sarafa Tunji Ishola and other officials from the UK.

The officials were received at Benin Airport on Saturday at 11:00 am.

The delegates later headed to the palace and presented the artefacts which were neatly packaged in a red-colour parcel.

Earlier in October, last year, Jesus College, University of Cambridge returned a Benin Bronze, Okukor, making history as the first institution in the world to do so.

The Okukor statue was looted directly from the Court of Benin, as part of the punitive British expedition of 1897 and was given to the College in 1905 by the father of a student.

More than a hundred years later, the institution finally handed over the elaborately carved cockerel known as ‘Okukor’ to a Nigerian delegation at a ceremony in 2021.

Also in October 2021, the University of Aberdeen handed over a Benin Bronze to Nigeria after over 100 years since it was looted by British forces.

The sculpture, which depicts the head of an Oba (king), is one of the thousands of religious and cultural artefacts looted by British forces in 1897 during the destruction of Benin City in present-day Nigeria by a British military expedition.

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/02/19/oba-of-benin-takes-delivery-of-looted-okpa-ilahor-returned-from-uk/amp/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by xpressionx(m): 3:12pm On Feb 19, 2022
Picture na

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by gevans(m): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2022
More picture.

I honestly hope that we harness the potential those artifacts.

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by abdulskulboy(m): 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
This won't change the fact that Aregbesola and his cohorts will be put to shame today at the APC primary poll.

The people of the state of Osun can't afford to bring back the legacy of owing salary and merging if school uniforms.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by gevans(m): 3:20pm On Feb 19, 2022
Oba and the Nigeria High Commissioner to UK

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Lipscomb(m): 3:20pm On Feb 19, 2022
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by NwaNimo1(m): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2022

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Archworld(m): 3:22pm On Feb 19, 2022
It's a beautiful feeling but I think the whites would value it more than us. In fact they were the ones that even made us to know such thing exist because they took care of it over the years. Whites attach values to many things . The ones that were not stolen by the whites , where are they today? I guess dust has finished them . Africa lack maintenance culture . We only begin to value things when they are stolen

118 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by gevans(m): 3:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:
It's a beautiful feeling but I think the whites would value it more than us. In fact they were the ones that even made us to know such thing exist because they took care of it over the years. Whites attach values to many things . The ones that were not stolen by the whites , where are they today? I guess dust has finished them . Africa lack maintenance culture . We only begin to value things when they are stolen
You made a valid point. However, the govt can keep those artifacts in a museum. People will come from all over the world to see them. You know what that means, revenue generation.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by November24(f): 3:55pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:

Which them? You are not a bini. You wouldn't have said such

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
Someone said it was the powers in the Bronze that developed Europe, so now we just need to relax and let it develop our land too. Welcome home Bronze and remember to develop our land and people too like you developed Europe O, if not then this time na we go send you back to Europe. grin grin grin

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by illicit(m): 4:04pm On Feb 19, 2022
Make dem check well

Oyinbo fit don rig or swap am

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by gevans(m): 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2022
MindHacker9000:
Someone said it was the powers in the Bronze that developed Europe, so now we just need to relax and let it develop our land too. Welcome home Bronze and remember to develop our land and people too like you developed Europe.
Funny you, did I hear you say relax?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Archworld(m): 4:15pm On Feb 19, 2022
November24:

Which them? You are not a bini. You wouldn't have said such

Benin is part and parcel of Nigeria, same way is Nigeria a part of Africa. Benin problem is a Nigerian problem, same way Nigerian problem is an African problem

No emotion; Some of us were born and raised in Benin before you were born.
We've seen many years and experienced many governments/leaders than you in Benin so calm down, not just by reading but by experience. And whatever I said is peculiar to Africa as a whole .

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by ResidentSnitch(f): 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
ok
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Ifeoluwav(f): 4:22pm On Feb 19, 2022
When they stole these artifacts they said they are idols(idol worshipping) now that they have started returning them, does it mean they're no longer an idol?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:
I love how Benin ancestral heritage has suddenly become the belonging of every Nigerian and subject to every Nigerian's uneducated opinions.

1) these treasures belong to Benin kingdom, not to every Nigerian, and not to your "tribe" wherever you are from, these are the treasures of Benin empire !

2) Obviously they had value before the British stole them, indeed, some were decorating the palace of the Oba, some were kept in storage, some (small percentage) were decorating the palaces of Benin chiefs !

3)"the ones which weren't stolen", you seem to not understand that Benin city is not an ordinary town, what you had in Benin city is not the same as what you had in Abeokuta ! Benin city was the capital of Benin Kingdom ! Benin kingdom was a large and rich empire, it had treasures, among those treasures, you have these bronzes !
These are unique treasures, not existent elsewhere in Nigeria ! So there are no one's which weren't stolen !

4) some other Benin treasures had already been returned to the Oba of Benin in the 1930's: one of them is the traditional attire of the Oba of Benin and it is very well kept !

5) I understand that my ancestral heritage has no value to you, an alien to my culture and my ancestral country (Benin Kingdom/empire), just don't expand your ignorance by claiming to speak for me !

We, the people of Benin empire, we value our ancestral heritage and we want it back where it belongs: into the costody of the Oba.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 19, 2022
For the many Nigerians without history nor ancestral treasures, you will never be able to understand the love the Edo people of Benin empire have for their history and ancestral heritage. So please just keep your mouths shut and learn from us instead of acting as if you can read our minds.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
To non-Edo people, these treasures only have monetary value, these non-Edo guys can't and never will understand us ! These artefacts are our history ! You need to understand this !

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Archworld(m): 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

I love how Benin ancestral heritage has suddenly become the belonging of every Nigerian and subject to every Nigerian's uneducated opinions.

1) these treasures belong to Benin kingdom, not to every Nigerian, and not to your "tribe" wherever you are from, these are the treasures of Benin empire !
2) Obviously they had value before the British stole them, indeed, they were decorating the palace of the Oba !
3)"the ones which weren't stolen", you seem to not understand that Benin city is not an ordinary town, what you had in Benin city is not the se as what you had in Abeokuta ! Benin city was the capital of Benin Kingdom ! Benin kingdom was a large and rich empire, it had treasures, among those treasures, you have these bronzes !
These are unique treasures, not existent elsewhere in Nigeria ! So there are no one's which weren't stolen !

4) some other Benin treasures had already been returned to the Oba of Benin in the 1930's: one of them is the traditional needed attire of the Oba of Benin and it is very well kept !

5) I understand that my ancestral heritage has no value to you, an alien to my culture and my ancestral country, just don't expand your ignorance by claiming to speak for me !

Your are deviating by raising a different argument entirely . No one argued that whatever they stole doesn't belong to Benin people . If I were to argue blindly with you , I would remind you that there is not part of Nigeria that is greater that the whole country, the constituents make up the whole. There is nothing like the sovereign Benin kingdom, but the Sovereign Federal Republic of Nigeria. I agree that every kingdom had their sovereignty, but that was in the past. In our current constitution, even your chiefs and kingdoms are now under the local governments , no matter the relevance you attach to it. The past is history , stop arguing with emotion because you are from Bini. The law of Nigeria takes hold of all

All we were talking about was about maintenance, I expected you to argue on this , not raise a different argument that you can't win

31 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by minasi4841: 4:48pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ugly something

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:

Your are deviating by raising a different argument entirely . No one argued that whatever they stole doesn't belong to Benin people . If I were to argue blindly with you , I would remind you that there is not part of Nigeria that is greater that the whole country, the constituents make up the whole. There is nothing like the sovereign Benin kingdom, but the Sovereign Federal Republic of Nigeria. I agree that every kingdom had their sovereignty, but that was in the past. In our current constitution, even your chiefs and kingdoms are now under the local governments , no matter the relevance you attach to it. The past is history , stop arguing with emotion because you are from Bini. The law of Nigeria takes hold of all

All we were talking about was about maintenance, I expected you to argue on this , not raise a different argument that you can't win
Look, again, you really don't know nor understand us the Edo and you keep confusing us with yourself !

Your monarch, is a fake monarch whose relevancy was made up by the British in order for him to serve the British interests.
Our Oba (Benin !), is a true emperor, the British had to defeat his army in order to take over our land and create Nigeria.
Your fake monarch is under the authority of your local government ! Our Oba is under no such authority, it is even blasphemy to contemplate such an idea !

We are not you ! You have your particularities and we have ours !

I already told you that we maintain our treasures very well, nobody can take care of our ancestral belongings better than us.
So save your concerns for your white masters and your none existent ancestral treasures.

Ghostwon6511:

4) some other Benin treasures had already been returned to the Oba of Benin in the 1930's: one of them is the traditional attire of the Oba of Benin and it is very well kept !

14 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by ruggedtimi(m): 4:54pm On Feb 19, 2022
Make Dem no move oh
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
This is the one iritating thing when we are talking about the importance of these treasures to their owners, you will have a yoruba or an Igbo speaking on our behalf and spewing out British talking points ! (Acting as if they were among the owners of these treasures and easily saying "we", "we do not appreciate them" ...)
Will you guys just shut up and mind your business ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Archworld(m): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

Look, again, you really don't know nor understand us the Edo and you keep confusing us with yourself !

Your monarch, is a fake monarch whose relevancy was made up by the British in order for him to serve the British interests.
Our Oba, is a true emperor, the British had to defeat his army in order to take over our land and create Nigeria.
Your fake monarch is under the authority of your local government ! Our Oba is under no such authority, it is even blasphemy to contemplate such an idea !

We are not you ! You have your particularities and we have ours !

I already told you that we maintain our treasures very well, nobody can take care of our ancestral belongings better than us.
So save your concerns for your white masters and your none existent ancestral treasures.

I thought I was talking to a learned person . I am not a man of stup*d argument. If you can't reason with facts , you don't worth my reply at all. Learn to be logical . Humans are higher than animals because they can reason . Use your sense in argument . Bye

21 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:

I thought I was talking to a learned person . I am not a man of stup*d argument. If you can't reason with facts , you don't worth my reply at all. Learn to be logical . Humans are higher than animals because they can reason . Use your sense in argument . Bye

Keep your mouth shut, I am a mathematician, who are you ? Just a slowpoke who thinks it makes him look smart to parrot British talking points about Benin looted treasures.
Parroting the whites doesn't make you smart, you need to mind your business and take Benin matters our of your venom filled tongue.

Imagine someone's kidnapped kid being returned home and a childless neighbor coming to say: " the kidnapper was right, he should keep the kid locked up, we do not appreciate the kid enough".

Just shut up guys and talk about how to worship your white masters, and talk about your inexistant ancestral treasures.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Zionzoom(m): 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2022
Now what will this bronze heads do to our economy?
Does the price of a bag of rice reduce?
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
Zionzoom:
Now what will this bronze heads do to our economy?
Does the price of a bag of rice reduce?
What does this your comment have to do with my ancestral heritage being returned to its rightful owner ?
What does my ancestral heritage have to do with you and your price of bag of rice ? Can't you make your own topic and talk about your price of bag of rice there ?
Am I your father or something for you to bring your economic problems to me when I am rejoicing that my ancestral belongings are being returned ?
Get the hell out of here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Zionzoom(m): 6:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

What does this your comment have to do with my ancestral heritage being returned to its rightful owner ?
What does my ancestral heritage have to do with you and your price of bag of rice ? Can't you make your own topic and talk about your price of bag of rice there ?
Am I your father or something for you to bring your economic problems to me when I am rejoicing that my ancestral belongings are being returned ?
Get the hell out of here.
Boss calm down na grin grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by dealembassy: 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2022
What is the value of the return bronze head to benin kingdom?
How are they sure is not fake ?
Nigeria needs investors NOT bronze head that cannot provide jobs and security
gevans:
Oba of Benin Receives Returned Bronze Heads in his palace. FG rep, and other dignitaries are present in the reception ceremony. One of bronze is valued at Two Million Pounds

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 19, 2022
dealembassy:
What is the value of the return bronze head to benin kingdom?
How are they sure is not fake ?
Nigeria needs investors NOT bronze head that cannot provide jobs and security
The value ? Is this a joke or what, stop asking stupid questions. Dude, go and do your politicking in the appropriate area, not over my ancestral heritage. So keep your mouth shut about Benin. I am very happy of this return, I don't expect an outsider and especially a politician to understand. My ancestral heritage will not be a casualty of Nigerian politics, so get our name out of your filthy mouth.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Adopts New Uniform, Dressing Style / Lawan Forgets Abaribe’s Resignation Letter At Home / Probe Sports Minister, Danlong, He Dresses Like A Cultist – HURIWA Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.