Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK (55003 Views)

FG To Take Possession Of Looted Benin Bronze When Returned From Germany / The Moment President Buhari Returned From London After A 10-Day Private Visit / See How Atiku Was Mobbed When He Returned From US. Dele Momodu Shares Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by musicwriter(m): 8:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
LieutGen:
Why are they returning them?

When Britain stole the items, they sold some to individuals and kept some as official collection. It's the individuals that are returning theirs. The British government itself aren't interested in returning any. In fact, their queen was saying few years ago that there was nothing wrong stealing the items because according to her "everybody was doing it". So that's how she justified theft till today. They probably still have more than 500,000 stolen stolen artefacts in Britain now.

Still, as some people have pointed out, there's a good chance those artefacts are fake copies. Because 3D technology has advanced to the point you can make a copy of anything and nobody would differenciate between the original copy and the fake. If you have data just go to YouTube and search "3D printing" and you'll how anything can be printed. Someone even printed an exact copy of another house!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Frank150: 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

Why must imbeciles always deviate topics and relate every woe in Nigeria to us Edo ? Look tell your brothers to stop doing ritual killings, you don't need to mention our name while doing so or to do it in a topic about our returned artefacts.
Make your own topic and discuss with your wayward psychopath brothers who like to do ritual killings.
Who be this jonsing guy sef, you dey talk plenty talk..

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by calcal: 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2022
illicit:
Make dem check well

Oyinbo fit don rig or swap am

Just like America returns fake gold to Germany

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by DeepSight(m): 8:22pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:

Benin is part and parcel of Nigeria, same way is Nigeria a part of Africa. Benin problem is a Nigerian problem, same way Nigerian problem is an African problem

No emotion; Some of us were born and raised in Benin before you were born.
We've seen many years and experienced many governments/leaders than you in Benin so calm down, not just by reading but by experience. And whatever I said is peculiar to Africa as a whole .

I dont think you know anything about the effects of colonialism on a people's heritage and culture.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by afroxyz: 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2022
MindHacker9000:
Someone said it was the powers in the Bronze that developed Europe, so now we just need to relax and let it develop our land too. Welcome home Bronze and remember to develop our land and people too like you developed Europe.
Na to go steal the bronze head be that
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2022
DeepSight:

I dont think you know anything about the effects of colonialism on a people's heritage and culture.
They just can't comprehend, they just feel entitled to have their say on what doesn't concern them. All I can tell this outsiders is to mind their own business. But they want to argue that Benin business is their business and somehow they love us more than we live ourselves...419 is a culture in Nigeria. Schools need to start teaching Nigerians how to mind their respective businesses.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by LagacyHills: 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2022
Why is it called Okukor? Okuko in Igbo language means Chicken

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Frank150: 8:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

1) you may believe that you are Nigerian before anything else, I do not have that belief.

2) the Edo people are not a tribe, tribes are primitif, the Edo people are a people much like the french, the Germans or the Russians, we had our own large country (Benin Kingdom) before colonisation.

3)all gods are imaginary, including those transported to our shores by your white masters, but the fact you chose to focus on our gods instead of stating that religion is a scam, that tells a lot about you and your motives.

4)No, you are not my brother, only the people of Benin empire (the Edo people) are my brother's.

5) you don't need to always quote my emperor and my king and my tradition for a general Nigerian problem. It is not my emperor, nor my tradition, nor my religion which made someone in Abeokuta kill an other person, so stop attacking us and face your problems !

To slap this guy dey hungry me

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Goldbw122(m): 8:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
That is nice, it called for respect..
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2022
LagacyHills:
Why is it called Okukor? Okuko in Igbo language means Chicken
Obviously someone visiting the museum told the white curators that the name is okukor or whatever. Is there any other mystery which your low iq needs solving ?
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by chaloskyx: 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2022
and how do you morons think what they returned is the original ehen? mumu ppl
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by brain54(m): 8:28pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

Keep your mouth shut, I am a mathematician, who are you ? Just a slowpoke who thinks it makes him look smart to parrot British talking points about Benin looted treasures.
Parroting the whites doesn't make you smart, you need to mind your business and take Benin matters our of your venom filled tongue.

Imagine someone's kidnapped kid being returned home and a childless neighbor coming to say: " the kidnapper was right, he should keep the kid locked up, we do not appreciate the kid enough".

Just shut up guys and talk about how to worship your white masters, and talk about your inexistant ancestral treasures.
Mathematician...your comment and argument seems like it was written by an iilliterate....no offence to illiterates though.
You could have just responded to the guys argument insteadof throwing insults.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Ifeoluwav(f): 8:28pm On Feb 19, 2022
thomasjoe:

Wake up bro...
They stole them to sell them as proceeds of war...not as idols beign siezed as erenously been peddled...

War they started by themselves.
When did theives start to return what was stolen and sold undecided
They didn't only steal from Benin but from allover Africa.
They used to associate the artifacts with idol worshipping. What makes it different now?
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 19, 2022
chaloskyx:
and how do you morons think what they returned is the original ehen? mumu ppl
I don't know, perhaps because we are not conspiracy theorists who wish evil upon the Edo people and we recognise world bodies like those which handled the artefacts.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by DatNaijaGuy: 8:31pm On Feb 19, 2022
Archworld:
It's a beautiful feeling but I think the whites would value it more than us. In fact they were the ones that even made us to know such thing exist because they took care of it over the years. Whites attach values to many things . The ones that were not stolen by the whites , where are they today? I guess dust has finished them . Africa lack maintenance culture . We only begin to value things when they are stolen
I read this exaci comment on Facebook.
Are you sure you are not the same person that made that comment?
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2022
brain54:

Mathematician...your comment and argument seems like it was written by an iilliterate....no offence to illiterates though.
You could have just responded to the guys argument insteadof throwing insults.
You guys come here and mind our business and say offensive things which you don't understand, yet you expect civility ? I was even being extremely civil !
You need to stop your provocations instead of expecting a "good and nice response" to your provocations, that is how you get punched in the face.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by sotall(m): 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ifeoluwav:

War they started by themselves.
When did theives start to return what was stolen and sold undecided
They didn't only steal from Benin but from allover Africa.
They used to associate the artifacts with idol worshipping. What makes it different now?

Whats idol Worshipping?

Is the practice bad or good?
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by sotall(m): 8:33pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

You guys come here and mind our business and say offensive things which you don't understand, yet you expect civility ? I was even being extremely civil !
You need to stop your provocations instead of expecting a"good and nice response to your provocations", that is how you get punched in the face.

Thumbs up man for standing tall to rebuke their foolishness and educate the ignorant.

They will keep spewing trash so you just have to let them be in the end.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2022
Frank150:
To slap this guy dey hungry me
if you are talking about me, then know that I am quite good at boxing and weigh 100 killos (muscle), I'm almost sure you wouldn't dare look into my eyes in real life.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Elidrisy20: 8:39pm On Feb 19, 2022
The hope of Benin kingdom has been restored, after years of captivity in the hands of Gringos
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by silverlinen(m): 8:39pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

I love how Benin ancestral heritage has suddenly become the belonging of every Nigerian and subject to every Nigerian's uneducated opinions.

1) these treasures belong to Benin kingdom, not to every Nigerian, and not to your "tribe" wherever you are from, these are the treasures of Benin empire !

2) Obviously they had value before the British stole them, indeed, some were decorating the palace of the Oba, some were kept in storage, some (small percentage) were decorating the palaces of Benin chiefs !

3)"the ones which weren't stolen", you seem to not understand that Benin city is not an ordinary town, what you had in Benin city is not the same as what you had in Abeokuta ! Benin city was the capital of Benin Kingdom ! Benin kingdom was a large and rich empire, it had treasures, among those treasures, you have these bronzes !
These are unique treasures, not existent elsewhere in Nigeria ! So there are no one's which weren't stolen !

4) some other Benin treasures had already been returned to the Oba of Benin in the 1930's: one of them is the traditional attire of the Oba of Benin and it is very well kept !

5) I understand that my ancestral heritage has no value to you, an alien to my culture and my ancestral country (Benin Kingdom/empire), just don't expand your ignorance by claiming to speak for me !

We, the people of Benin empire, we value our ancestral heritage and we want ot back where it belongs: into the costody of the Oba.
Well said oh son of the mighty Bini blood.
OMO N'EDO PATAKI
Our treasures and ancestral artifacts should be in the land of it's existence.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by obanioluorun: 8:42pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511post=110369653:
just imagine what this ignoramus saying, but the same Ife you called village was the source to all Yoruba kingdoms include your bini kingdom, Ife initiated bini in bronze casting since Oba Eweka of bini his head buried in Ife and the Bronze sent to bini as representative.

1) learn how to quote properly
2) if you Ife have bronze then why are you here on a topic which doesn't concern you ?
Why not go on an ife bronze topic and discuss about your own bronze right there, also show your imaginary treasures to the world. Why are you on this topic ?
3) the word empire is actually not an African word, so we use it in our context to say "large kingdom" because an empire is a kingdom with more glory than the average kingdom and whose dukes are considered the equals to kings of other kingdoms and Benin fits this criteria.
4) Ife was a small village untill 1912 when the British started to urbanize it. Also the bronze of Ife are very few in numbers and most of them were dug up. Benin bronzes are several thousands and they were the furniture of the palace of the Oba of Benin when the British looted them.

5) oyo was never an empire, it was a sma kingdom which got obliterated by the Fulani, end of story for oyo. (Why do I have to always give yoruba jealous people history lessons)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8flCwvoAU
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by chaloskyx: 8:43pm On Feb 19, 2022
Lol wish evil upon edo people just look at yourselves you morons wish evil on yourselves by electing corrupt and visionless leaders in governance and as for recognition if they saw you as relevant they would have returned it ages ago. you are here claiming recognition a thief returned your property you are giving them recognition you see you have no honour whatsoever your so called edo heritage which you boast about is nothing to write home about just collect your artefact and keep shut a beg if it was still worth anything they wont even return it. kuku use the artefact to develop your poverty undeveloped riddled state if you can
Ghostwon6511:

I don't know, perhaps because we are not conspiracy theorists who wish evil upon the Edo people and we recognise world bodies like those which handled the artefacts.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Ifeoluwav(f): 8:43pm On Feb 19, 2022
sotall:

Whats idol Worshipping?

Is the practice bad or good?

In their context they said it was bad and taught us that concept. But they still kept it with them when it meant "bad", that says alot. We didn't see it as idol worshipping. History, culture, knowledge, etc is embedded in those artifacts. They were aware of it's symbolisms and importance and so they were deliberate in stealing them at that time.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Archworld(m): 8:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
DatNaijaGuy:

I read this exaci comment on Facebook.
Are you sure you are not the same person that made that comment?

Wow !! That is really amazing . Please drop the link . I am not aware that this news is on Facebook like alone a similar comment . Try to also compare the exact words with mine
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Clinghton: 8:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
Buhari fit sell am, he's looking for another loan.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 19, 2022
obanioluorun:
just imagine what this ignoramus saying, but the same Ife you called village was the source to all Yoruba kingdoms include your bini kingdom, Ife initiated bini in bronze casting since Oba Eweka of bini his head buried in Ife and the Bronze sent to bini as representative.

1)You still don't know how to quote properly, this shows your lack of intelligence
2) I repeat, Ife was a small village untill 1912 when the British started urbanising it. I am not saying this as an insult, this is on record. It is a proven fact.
3) every story of people migrating from Ife is a myth created to elevate the status of the Oni of Ife.
4) no head of any Oba of Benin was buried in Ife and no bronze was sent to Benin from Ife. Benin royal court had its own guild which the British interrupted and which was later revived by Oba Eweka II.
5)Benin emperors were buried in the palace except for Oba Ovonramwen who was buried in Calabar.

6) The thing with you guys yoruba is that you believe you know us better than we know ourselves, your entire self-worth revolves around claims about us. Quite basically you are historical parasites. Look how you guys are flocking here out of jealousy and trying to claim Benin heritage and also promote Ife myths on this topic which has nothing to do with you.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by obanioluorun: 9:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
silverlinen:

Well said oh son of the mighty Bini blood.
OMO N'EDO PATAKI
Our treasures and ancestral artifacts should be in the land of it's existence.
Ife initiated bini bronze casting, since the Oba Eweka of bini kingdom, his head buried in Ife and the Bronze head sent to bini for representative.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by brain54(m): 9:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ghostwon6511:

You need to stop your provocations instead of expecting a "good and nice response" to your provocations, that is how you get punched in the face.
Puncher well done...just dont go and punch someone that will beat the crap out of you. I was actually reading your comments until you started throwing unprintables...try to make your points with facts. Besides the guy didn't attack you or your traditional/custom. You were just being emotional.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
obanioluorun:
Ife initiated bini bronze casting, since the Oba Eweka of bini kingdom, his head buried in Ife and the Bronze head sent to bini for representative.

Jealousy and long throat will kill you guys in ife. Come on, have some self-esteem and stop claiming my cultural heritage.

My answer:

Ghostwon6511:

1)You still don't know how to quote properly, this shows your lack of intelligence
2) I repeat, Ife was a small village untill 1912 when the British started urbanising it. I am not saying this as an insult, this is on record. It is a proven fact.
3) every story of people migrating from Ife is a myth created to elevate the status of the Oni of Ife.
4) no head of any Oba of Benin was buried in Ife and no bronze was sent to Benin from Ife. Benin royal court had its own guild which the British interrupted and which was later revived by Oba Eweka II.
5)Benin emperors were buried in the palace except for Oba Ovonramwen who was buried in Calabar.

6) The thing with you guys yoruba is that you believe you know us better than we know ourselves, your entire self-worth revolves around claims about us. Quite basically you are historical parasites. Look how you guys are flocking here out of jealousy and trying to claim Benin heritage and also promote Ife myths on this topic which has nothing to do with you.
Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by KingMack(m): 9:04pm On Feb 19, 2022
You sure say na the original wan undecided

Re: Oba Of Benin Receives Bronze Head & Cockerel Returned From The UK by pharmaking: 9:05pm On Feb 19, 2022
Why are they returning these items one by one. They chose the ones they feel like returning.
Ole lawon oyinbo yi sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Minister Of Communication Adebayo Shittu And His Wife Pictured / Bomb Blast At Kano Motorpark Leaves Many Dead (Graphic Photos) / Press Conference: Ambode Addresses Lagosians At 2:30pm (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.