Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. (57603 Views)

Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him? / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Hotchike: 9:53pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:
When I moved to the U. K for my master. I stay in an flat which consist of many white English boys. So an England boy called Harry decided to show me the equipment in the apartment. So when we got to the kitchen he show me a dish washer which I did not care to look at and he responded that have I see a dish washer before? I was shock and told him of course have seen a dish washer and he reply that I did not want to sound rude but africa are poor and always hungry and I reply him do I look like someone that is poor and hungry and his respond was you are from the rich family in Africa and I told him clearly my parents are not rich that am just an average Nigerian boy and he his reply was it is impossible that you are either rich or poor in Africa and my response was that he should stop believing the propaganda been pass by CNN and BBC about Africa.

After that we bonded and we usually teese ourself and crack jokes. So during December period I was infected with covid 19 which all. Of them in the house have travel to their family home to spend Christmas and new year holiday. So during that mid January on Friday I was in the parlour with my white flatmates and we where just joking and catching fun then we started to talk about covid and I told them during the time they travel I contacted covid and Harry reply that he is going to kill me so I laugh and I thought it was one of the joke but he said he mean it and I started telling him that so do u expect me to call u in your family home and tell u I contacted covid and the others white where explaining to him and this guy started using abusing words against me telling me to return back to Africa and saying some nasty words about Africa and I told him if u have brief with me then challange me and stop picking on my continent and colour and he told me that he is going to insult my colour and continent that if I want to fight him then we should go to the garden to fight as man to man. I was just saying in my mind this man is looking for someone to kill him. I just ignore him and when I stop replying him he just calm down and left. What pain me most was when he left then all the white guys told me his crazy that I should not answer him and I was like when he was insulting me racially all of u where just watching him as if nothing happen. After some time he came back to the parlour and apologise to everyone except me for been a nusiance and after that he wanted to discuss with me and I shouted at him saying back off. After sometime he wanted talking to me and I just ignore him as if nobody is talking and after talking I just close my laptop and gave him a bad gesture and left the palour then he reply that I am looking at him as a vallian that he is not a bad guy.

The next day his girlfriend came visiting him and was smiling at me and i just reply her with a bone face and left. Then after sometime he came apologising to me that what he did to me was wrong that he did it under the influence of acholol which I know but I said to myself for him to say this to me when he was drunk meaning he has been harbouring such thoughts in his mind and the alcohol just gave him the courage to express his racist characters to me. I told him I forgive him but right now I don't trust any English people or white people because for such a guy to laugh and joke with u and still be a racist his something terrible. Abeg make una give bristish chance.

Mehn, it's not easy staying in foreign country. My brother experienced worst things when he was in Europe.
Just try to be calm hence you are not in your country
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Cousin9999: 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2022
RighteousI:

You guys should disregard this post because it's probably a fictional story and the poster maybe somewhere in abule-egba and not in the UK.
The part where he mentioned that he contracted covid is where I suspected that the story is fictional.

Even if it's fake (and it probably is), it's a good opportunity to inform people about how to handle those situations.

2 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Dmacqh(m): 9:56pm On Feb 20, 2022
Anybody that traveled outside is a big already. More 80% of Nigerian dream , and you achieve it , congratulations boss . My your grace home my path .
Nah person wey japa dey experience racism .
Any racism , that didn’t impact on my meal ticket , or doesn’t involve physical fighting , doesn’t bother me .
What curse or word will you that I’ve not heard before even from my family ?
Curse me from now till tomorrow, my thick skin has no boundary .
Alves was once thrown a banana, he picked it up and ate it .
Nah hustle we come hustle . Side talk and malice doesn’t concern me .
What do I know ? Me wey never cross Imo talk more of Cross River .

5 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by aribisala0(m): 9:58pm On Feb 20, 2022
Interesting encounter but I am not sure how that is "racist"

Maybe a definition of racist is useful

Perhaps ignorant and prejudiced yea

But the same thing happens in Nigeria one way or another we just have the same skin colour.

There is no shame in not ever having seen or used a dishwasher and thee is no accomplishment in having done so..
nearly 1 in 5 households in the UK had a dishwasher in 2018 . It is not really a necessary possession for most people

Once you really know who you are it is impossible to be insulted by such encounters.
Always keep cool and never lose your composure. Put it down to experience and reflect if the same thing happens again you are better prepared .What would you do differently?
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by TimeTraveller: 10:00pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:
When I moved to the U. K for my master. I stay in an flat which consist of many white English boys. So an England boy called Harry decided to show me the equipment in the apartment. So when we got to the kitchen he show me a dish washer which I did not care to look at and he responded that have I see a dish washer before? I was shock and told him of course have seen a dish washer and he reply that I did not want to sound rude but africa are poor and always hungry and I reply him do I look like someone that is poor and hungry and his respond was you are from the rich family in Africa and I told him clearly my parents are not rich that am just an average Nigerian boy and he his reply was it is impossible that you are either rich or poor in Africa and my response was that he should stop believing the propaganda been pass by CNN and BBC about Africa.

After that we bonded and we usually teese ourself and crack jokes. So during December period I was infected with covid 19 which all. Of them in the house have travel to their family home to spend Christmas and new year holiday. So during that mid January on Friday I was in the parlour with my white flatmates and we where just joking and catching fun then we started to talk about covid and I told them during the time they travel I contacted covid and Harry reply that he is going to kill me so I laugh and I thought it was one of the joke but he said he mean it and I started telling him that so do u expect me to call u in your family home and tell u I contacted covid and the others white where explaining to him and this guy started using abusing words against me telling me to return back to Africa and saying some nasty words about Africa and I told him if u have brief with me then challange me and stop picking on my continent and colour and he told me that he is going to insult my colour and continent that if I want to fight him then we should go to the garden to fight as man to man. I was just saying in my mind this man is looking for someone to kill him. I just ignore him and when I stop replying him he just calm down and left. What pain me most was when he left then all the white guys told me his crazy that I should not answer him and I was like when he was insulting me racially all of u where just watching him as if nothing happen. After some time he came back to the parlour and apologise to everyone except me for been a nusiance and after that he wanted to discuss with me and I shouted at him saying back off. After sometime he wanted talking to me and I just ignore him as if nobody is talking and after talking I just close my laptop and gave him a bad gesture and left the palour then he reply that I am looking at him as a vallian that he is not a bad guy.

The next day his girlfriend came visiting him and was smiling at me and i just reply her with a bone face and left. Then after sometime he came apologising to me that what he did to me was wrong that he did it under the influence of acholol which I know but I said to myself for him to say this to me when he was drunk meaning he has been harbouring such thoughts in his mind and the alcohol just gave him the courage to express his racist characters to me. I told him I forgive him but right now I don't trust any English people or white people because for such a guy to laugh and joke with u and still be a racist his something terrible. Abeg make una give bristish chance.

Your grammar is bad for a supposed masters student.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Johnholmes: 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2022
If only Nigeria had good leaders ,all this nonsense won't be happening...
The truth is we Africans go to these countries abroad for a better life so you can't really blame the whites for thinking the way they do.

Even if they don't say it out loud ,almost all of them see us as second class citizens in their country.

6 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by walemoney007(m): 10:04pm On Feb 20, 2022
Sterope:
Some racist marry the race they hate. It can be that bad.
Really? shocked
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by ultraviolet27(f): 10:06pm On Feb 20, 2022
You are in the United Kingdom,Yet You Can't Spell Correctly,even your write up is full of tautological and typographical errors.Why won't you experience Racism??

4 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by ajl: 10:10pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:

What I see here is a poorly educated Nigerian student who wasn't taught to see the world for what it is.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by BenYeshua: 10:12pm On Feb 20, 2022
Ynix:

Guy don't be trapped by his behaviors else you come to his level of reasoning and also miss great opportunities.
I don't believe in the white and black disparity, even if talked down on based on my race, I will still mingle because I am there for business.
Low self-esteem! life is not all about money have some self respect my brother

3 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Jaqenhghar: 10:13pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:

I don't know why you niggers do this. The rubbish you wont take from your fellow blackman you will take from oyinbo.
When he first disrespected you by asking ifyou know what a dishwasher was, that was your cue. But yous till went ahead to bond with him. That guy could murder you and those his friends will cover up for him. The o ly reason he apologised is so you dont report him and make a case out of it.... he may lose his job , etc
It should never have gotten that far. You were busy shining teeth and trying to please massa the way you niggers do whenever you see oyinbo. Serves you right. Let this be a lesson to other coons on this forum

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by JaskanFactor: 10:14pm On Feb 20, 2022
Do you know how long since Nigerians have been going to UK to school.

I know an elder of mine who was amongst group sent by NNPC around the 70s to UK to school, much later in life when i was schooling in Europe
he told be watch out, cause in his time they purposely did not really teach them anything.

His comment struck me, cause i never thought they would be that wicked , cause they were getting paid lots of money at the university .
So that in my case the same thing happened on robotics course, both students and lecturers were working together to destroy my education, to the point that they get angry when they see me in library studying.

I got a good job immediately after graduation, and everything that got me that job i learnt inside my room at university where i spent some money to make my own lab, due to racism i stopped going university lab. What got me job, was stuff i learnt working in my room.

I was never aware of racism, so at one point i was going to see university shrink thinking maybe i have some mental disorder why all this oyinbo people acting this way.

This is nearly 30 years later, i worked as robotics engineer for nearly 20 years slowly realising that the racism that i saw in the university was a warning for what my career would be like, I spent most of career as freelancer cause i knew climbing racist cooperate ladder is no go.

IN the end i gave up freelancing too cause the racist wicked behaviour is even worse in hitech industry cause they hate to see you there, i gave up robotics cause i no longer wanted to work with that industry and focus on projects i can do with resource i have without involving any oyinbo, so i am now game developers. Write my games sell online no racists office to deal with

I say that to say this, if you are planning for a future where you go and work for or with them, then you aint seen nothing yet.

People only still go places like UK to school cause they do not know how much this Oyinbo people hate us, and they will destroy your life for gain and for pleasure.

And if you make the mistake of having them for landlord, you better not sleep.

The reason there are no big sign boards all over Nigeria warning people of the dangers of racism which is rapant in all oyinbo countries is cause Oyinbo run Nigeria and africa and the world.

African Americans know them far much better than we do, and what you think is just racism , goes far deeper than that.
A lot of them are into black magic and witch craft from very very young age, and some of what you call racism is them stealing your energy, stealing your joy cause it gives them pleasure, just like being tied up and bleeped gives them pleasure, just like killing women during sex gives them pleasure.

Youre not supposed to be living in the same house with them, we are not that close. They hate us too much for that.
And as you rightly noted the others always standby and do nothing when the racism starts.

And to make matters worse if there is another Nigerian in that your house, most likely he would have taken the side of the racist and do something to make what the racist did to you seem small. Telling you from numerous personal experience.

That is why i tell you, we the black race are on fast track to extinction, caue if you dont know why there are many English surnames in nigeria is cause all the Europeans around 1492 race war were kicked out of Europe and sent to America ,africa, west indies.

The people who currently reside in Europe calling themselves European are the ancient barbarian tribes of Goth/Vizigoth and Vandal from north Africa , who invaded rome and the rest of Europe , which used to be black continent. So that for example the Irish are now called Jamaican . The Camerons of Europe are now in cameroon.

As you can see the very word Vandalism, is derived from name of ancient barbarian oyinbo tribe called vandals.
So that you get barbarian vandal racist behaviour, should come as no surprise.

That last thing you want to do in your life is plan a future where you are working with or for them closely, and quite often abroad our Nigerian bothers are even more dangerous to you than even the worst racist.

That should explain to you what has been happening to us for better part of last 500 years, cause were the people in Russia, Europe ,Asia, middle east, now we are only in west africa, and where the word human was reserved for us and not barbarians, now barbarians are called white people and humans are called black people. Cause Hue Man means man whose skin has hue of colour meaning dark skin.

And as far as i can see there is nothing to stop us going extinct given we are surrounded on all sides by yellow racist that hate us, and very often our own people are more dangerous than the enemy.

Your ancient black ancestors lost all their lands in Europe, Asia Middle east to the barbarians, cause they used to use them to fight wars against each other. And now even with their backs to the see in west Africa, very often your fellow west african is your worst enemy.

If you dont know the history , there you have it, We are from a race of people who have fallen from grace cause the people hate each other.

And part of the reason they hate black people so much is cause they see how cheap you sell each other out. In the words of former Israeli President Netinyanwu.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by BRATISLAVA: 10:16pm On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

You're a masters candidate?

Shocking you?
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Karlovych: 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2022
Danisaint112:
That's why it always good to check racism score of a country before migrating there.

Finland my dream country would never discriminate you for who you are or what you look like. The Racism rate there is very low and that's because this people like peace.

The came first 13th place in the world most peaceful country index table last year.
Then you're in for a huge surprise if you think majority of EU countries aren't racist including Finland, a non English-speaking country at that where you have to ask people if they speak English before you initiate a discussion with them during the early days/months of your stay there.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Jaqenhghar: 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2022
BenYeshua:

Low self-esteem! life is not all about money have some self respect my brother
Dont mind him. He is looking at them hrough the eyes of a Nigherian where it is believed that you must worship so.eo e to make it in life.

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Calicoe: 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2022
Bro don't worry, our yahoo boys will avenge what they are doing by scamming them
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by ashawopikin(m): 10:19pm On Feb 20, 2022
Wow, so na inside garden dem take dey fight for uk

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Jaqenhghar: 10:20pm On Feb 20, 2022
Ynix:

Guy don't be trapped by his behaviors else you come to his level of reasoning and also miss great opportunities.
I don't believe in the white and black disparity, even if talked down on based on my race, I will still mingle because I am there for business.
Mingle with people who don't want to mingle with you? LOL
You go turn to footmat be that and those opportunities you think you will not see.

3 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Kinterez(m): 10:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
MufasaLion:
This your write-up would be better and interesting to read if you could have paragraphs, punctuation marks and correct the words you spelt wrongly.
Keep quiet there...During the course of reading did you miss any gist there? Awon alpha Male correcting people like they know it all..shut up again

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Aaay: 10:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
Oh
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by jaxxy(m): 10:24pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:

See I fear white people. As am talking to you my agency send me to a care home to work. Can you believe one of the staff in that care home reported me to their manager that is not on duty that I bruise a resident and the manager reported me to my agency and my agency send me message that I bruise a resident. I just reply my agency if I bruise someone then I should be let know. As am taking to am taking to u all the staff in are smiling with me asking me if am OK or alright. I don't just like them. Very cunning people especially the bristish

The problem is u get too familiar and Cosy abit too quickly. British aren’t that way. They are always reserved at 1st even though can act friendly when it’s necessary. U take that to be ure now all friends bt no they are just acting friendly they don’t even know or like u yet.

Acting friendly means nothing it’s just being polite instead of rude.

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Jaqenhghar: 10:25pm On Feb 20, 2022
RagnarLothbrok:
Guy, remember this- make yourself happy. The white racist in my flat in Australia treated me in a more subtle way. I really prefer your friend's brand of racism. The ones I experienced have perfected the method of doing you and pretending like you're the crazy one imagining things.

They even went as far as shielding the 19 year old white girl who lived in our flat from me cos of our closeness. I later found out they were afraid that she would fall for me. They would tease her and call her my puppy or lapdog. She soon began to move away. It was really depressing for me cos I never lived with such 'NICE PEOPLE', who weren't nice at all. They even had a WhatsApp group where they plan stuff, I later found out. I had to move out in search of my happiness and sanity.

Oyibo girl keeps chatting me up and bombing me with messages that she misses me and wants me to come back. Comeback kee you dia!
You are lucky she didnt call police and accuse you of raping her. Even as it stands you are not in the clear. She can still concoct stuff up and say years ago you raped her. No evidence and its always their word against yours. That Australia I hear a lot of guys are languishing in jail because of false rape

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by jaxxy(m): 10:26pm On Feb 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

Mingle with people who don't want to mingle with you? LOL
You go turn to footmat be that and those opportunities you think you will not see.

I think he means if u see every issue as racist inclined u might miss the big picture.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by walemoney007(m): 10:27pm On Feb 20, 2022
Farid24224:

My sister that's studying at Turkey fought last week na with some oyibo girls..She batter the three of them... tongue
Hope dem no report her? Turkish are not Oyinbo

Oyinbo dey discriminate against them too.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Jaqenhghar: 10:29pm On Feb 20, 2022
Richy4:
I don't even find this funny one bit... I feel bad that u learnt the hard way...
Don't open your 32 with any Tom, Dick and Harriet u see in the name of being a nice guy; that was rule 101...

It was jokes taken too far... It's called 'seeing finish'... Please maintain your Lane in a dignified manner from now henceforth... Even the other flat mates,.. no more jokes... No more sitting at the parlour with them... If they come in take your laptop and go to your room... Hi, hello is enough... Greet them when in close proximity including the stupid guy but as for sitting together, please cancel it ..

Assuming u weren't sitting with them, it wouldn't have happened... Too much of familiarity breeds contempt... Abi dey no teach u that adage for secondary school?...

In fact Ill advice hom to leave the house and start afresh without a goodbye
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Father4all: 10:29pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:

The guy was right. In Nigeria, it either you are rich or poor. No average Nigerian
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by walemoney007(m): 10:29pm On Feb 20, 2022
Danisaint112:
That's why it always good to check racism score of a country before migrating there.

Finland my dream country would never discriminate you for who you are or what you look like. The Racism rate there is very low and that's because this people like peace.

The came first 13th place in the world most peaceful country index table last year.
Finnish are racist

Nah those places e worst pass sef

Black people no too dey there.

1 Like

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by kingsceemark(m): 10:30pm On Feb 20, 2022
Right001:

Because somebody insult you cause this long story?
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by denideck: 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2022
So sorry about that.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by jaxxy(m): 10:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

I don't know why you niggers do this. The rubbish you wont take from your fellow blackman you will take from oyinbo.
When he first disrespected you by asking ifyou know what a dishwasher was, that was your cue. But yous till went ahead to bond with him. That guy could murder you and those his friends will cover up for him. The o ly reason he apologised is so you dont report him and make a case out of it.... he may lose his job , etc
It should never have gotten that far. You were busy shining teeth and trying to please massa the way you niggers do whenever you see oyinbo. Serves you right. Let this be a lesson to other coons on this forum

Sm Whites are genuinely ignorant about Africa and Africans bt whatever the case u should get too comfortable with people until u know their in and out’s.

Even blacks kill blacks over ridiculous stuffs when abroad.
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Bamzyriches451: 10:34pm On Feb 20, 2022
Damn!
I no fit read finish
Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by 1Sharon(f): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2022
Amanee:

Is that why you're deliberately using past tense for people who are still alive? undecided

grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

China Test Runs New ₦4.1t Daxing Int'l Airport Ahead Of Official Opening / Nigeria Air: National Airline Unveiled (Photos, Video) / Two Nigerian Men Fight Inside Airplane (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.