Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,816 members, 7,831,653 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? (10880 Views)

Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. / Pls Advice Me, My Parents Do Not Approve My Proposed Marriage Plans. / Funny Things Parents' Do That Makes You Chuckle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by chocobunny(f): 10:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
@Sagamite

Quote from: Sagamite on Yesterday at 07:50:45 PM

So that posh education has not given them the academic advantage you allude to. Otherwise most will end up in the top UK unis and top jobs in UK.

___

I read your post, no need for me to read it again. Let's break it down:

Look at your wording. The posh education has not given them the academic advantage, OTHERWISE (meaning if it DID give them the advantage) many would end up at top jobs in the UK. You are definitely implying that people on top in Nigeria were unable to match the competition in the UK. If they could have, they would be working there now at a big firm.

Anyway, I digress. The topic at hand is bigger than this.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 11:31pm On Jun 28, 2011
chocobunny:

@Sagamite

So that posh education has not given them the academic advantage you allude to. Otherwise most will end up in the top UK unis and top jobs in UK.

___

Look at your wording. The posh education has not given them the academic advantage, OTHERWISE (meaning if it DID give them the advantage) many would end up at top jobs in the UK. You are definitely implying that people on top in Nigeria were unable to match the competition in the UK. If they could have, they would be working there now at a big firm.

No, I never said that.

Some.

There are guys that have been in Nigeria all their lives (born, bred and educated) and I am sure if they came to the West, they will not only be able to hold their own, they will shoot to the stars.

But they are few and they are at the top in Nigeria.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by emmatok(m): 1:09am On Jun 29, 2011
chocobunny:

@Sagamite

___

Expensive schooling is not equal to "posh education"

You can never compare a graduate from any Private University in Nigeria to other graduates from 1st generation Federal Universities like OAU, UNN, UNLAG, e.t.c

Those 1st generation Federal Universities are far batter.

Some parents just spoil their children in ignorance.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by iragbijile: 1:52am On Jun 29, 2011
emmatok:

You can never compare a graduate from any Private University in Nigeria to other graduates from 1st generation Federal Universities like OAU, UNN, UNLAG, e.t.c

Ignorance! ignorance!! Ignorance!!!

All the electrical engineers from Convenant University that I know are way more brilliant and well educated than the ones from Unilag that I have come across. And they all got good jobs after graduation. Most working for multi-nationals.

Keep your stupidddddd ignorance to yourself. You dont have to rubbish other people just to make yourself feel good. Your narrow experience doesnt equal reality.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by molulu(f): 5:33am On Jun 29, 2011
This article may be true for some people in Nigeria but certainly not a large number. Nigerian graduates are picking up jobs that pay as low as 20,000 just so that they can kick off with their lives. Youth are taking up careers in tailoring, catering and many other vocations simply because they don't want to be idle. Many parents don't give any financial support to their kids after educating them & If you see some Nigerian parents still giving out allowances to their 20 sth year old graduate children, its because they'r aware of the trials that the Nigerian youth is facing. The kind of children and parents described in the article are not the norm, they are the exception. The situation is a dicey one in Nigeria and the average Nigerian youth is ready to work any where or do any trade so as not to be a liability and that's why most 9gerian graduates earn btw N50,000 and N80,000! The youths are trying ooo! BOYS AND GIRLS ARE NOT SMILING OOOOO
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by dayokanu(m): 7:01am On Jun 29, 2011
iragbijile:

Ignorance! ignorance!! Ignorance!!!

All the electrical engineers from Convenant University that I know are way more brilliant and well educated than the ones from Unilag that I have come across. And they all got good jobs after graduation. Most working for multi-nationals.

Keep your stupidddddd ignorance to yourself. You dont have to rubbish other people just to make yourself feel good. Your narrow experience doesnt equal reality.

Slow down son!!!

Maybe UNILAG sha but never Oba Awon University
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 29, 2011
My kids are not going to work to support themselves whilst in school. Sagamite get used to it. angry angry
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by iragbijile: 7:27am On Jun 29, 2011
dayokanu:

Slow down son!!!

Maybe UNILAG sha but never Oba Awon University

I chose my words VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY carefully. wink

OAU yato of course. Thats why I did not mention OAU or UI.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by CuteTj(m): 7:58am On Jun 29, 2011
Their is no basis for comparism and contrasting between the two systems. Their is alot of hardship in Nigeria. It is not a place whereby what you merit or deserve is given to you. It all depends on whom you know to be able to give you a soft landing in whatever you want to accomplish. In a case where all this is happening, should a parent watch and let his/her child suffer uneccasarily while other parents are helping their own kids? NO!! Although kids should be taught to work for money and manage it from a tender age so that when they growup, they will be responsible men and women. Assuming i am a billionaire and i want to dash my child N5million because i know he is responsible and he would manage it well properly and he declines just because he's trying to act independent( i can survive without my parents). Do you know what I will do to the child? I will ''curse'' the child. What are parents working for? Is it not for the children? Nigerian parents don't want their children to encounter the difficulties they did while they where growing up if they have the means.ible and he would manage it well properly and he declines just because he's trying to act independent( i can survive without my parents). Do you know what I will do to the child? I will ''curse'' the child. What are parents working for? Is it not for the children? Nigerian parents don't want their children to encounter the difficulties they did while they where growing up if they have the means.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Bawss1(m): 10:09am On Jun 29, 2011
jennykadry:

My kids are not going to work to support themselves whilst in school. Sagamite get used to it. angry angry

When you put it like that it sounds very bad.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 29, 2011
^^Does it? Do I care? Nope
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by emmatok(m): 10:29am On Jun 29, 2011
iragbijile:

I chose my words VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY carefully. wink

OAU yato of course. Thats why I did not mention OAU or UI.

My friend how many Professors do you have in Covenant compared to UI, OAU, UNN, e.t.c

These private varsities just collect money, they cannot match any of those First Generation Universities.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by chocobunny(f): 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Sagamite

Quote from: Sagamite

No, I never said that.

Some.

There are guys that have been in Nigeria all their lives (born, bred and educated) and I am sure if they came to the West, they will not only be able to hold their own, they will shoot to the stars.

But they are few and they are at the top in Nigeria.

_______
But we were speaking SPECIFICALLY about those on top in Nigeria who went to what you called "posh schools" in Nigeria and then gained admissions to UK Universities. (Of course this is a subset of all of the people that are currently on top in Nigeria. But we were never talking about every single one of these people, ONLY those who had the expensive "posh" educations.) You said that these people in particular, end up back in Nigeria because they can't compete for the top jobs in the UK, yet they know if they go back home they can be on top. You then concluded that their posh education gave them no advantage, otherwise, they would have been able to get the top UK jobs. This was the point I took issue with.

Anyhow, it seems you do not read your posts before replying to remember what we were discussing in the first place, so the subject at hand has now become confused. So I am going to drop the matter.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by obowunmi(m): 5:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
I don't see why this is cause for such a long thread. Out of the 150 million people that live in the country. This only applies to less than 2 percent of the population. Why u're all giving yourselves a headache is beyond me.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 5:59pm On Jun 29, 2011
chocobunny:

But we were speaking SPECIFICALLY about those on top in Nigeria who went to what you called "posh schools" in Nigeria and then gained admissions to UK Universities. (Of course this is a subset of all of the people that are currently on top in Nigeria. But we were never talking about every single one of these people, ONLY those who had the expensive "posh" educations.) You said that these people in particular, end up back in Nigeria because they can't compete for the top jobs in the UK, yet they know if they go back home they can be on top. You then concluded that their posh education gave them no advantage, otherwise, they would have been able to get the top UK jobs. This was the point I took issue with.

Anyhow, it seems you do not read your posts before replying to remember what we were discussing in the first place, so the subject at hand has now become confused. So I am going to drop the matter.

You just mumbojumbo all your points here but I will provide some clarity:

1) Not all those on top in Nigeria went to posh schools or schooled abroad. And not all top in Naija can not be top in UK as you alluded I said.

2) I hardly hear of Naija posh school kids doing much better on average than top public schools. To be frank, I hear nothing at all about posh school kids in UK, but I know they do well in Naija. That suggest to me that the money used for the expensive education was merely a safety, not an advantage (basically, you are have more assurance they will not fail to meet threshold, but no guarantee they will be top quality). If I paid exorbitant fees, I will expect highest quality. If I pay N800K a year in Naija EVEN for secondary school education, not nursery, the school needs to guarantee me that that pikin is 90% likely to be in Oxbridge or any of the Top 11 UK unis. From my observations, they can't even guarantee 20%.

emmatok:

More often than not, expensive schooling is posh education.

If you are paying N800K for nursery, your pikin is likely to be mixing with posh kids (as per Naija posh).

Definitely, the 1st gen unis are best in Naija at the moment.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by emmatok(m): 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

More often than not, expensive schooling is posh education.

If you are paying N800K for nursery, your pikin is likely to be mixing with posh kids (as per Naija posh).

Definitely, the 1st gen unis are best in Naija at the moment.

Agreed, but expensive schooling or posh education does not guaranty Quality EDUCATION.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 12:10am On Jun 30, 2011
emmatok:

Agreed, but expensive schooling or posh education does not guaranty Quality EDUCATION.

That is definitely my point. Especially Nigeria where you are charged N1m for a service but get a N80K quality service.

Crazy country where some ediots want to be millionaire the next week and drive hummer without putting in the effort or having some superior offering.

A friend once sent me a text:

"E get dis joint I dey eat 4 VI.

1 oyinbo also dey chop there.

Anytime oyinbo chop finish, ego shout "HEY", so I wonder wetin dey make am shout.

I decide to chop wetin oyinbo dey chop whether I go shout too.

Last friday, I order wetin oyinbo dey chop - chicken and red wine.

I chop am but I no shout.

I collect extra, but I still no shout.

I vex and come ask for my bill make I go find the oyinbo ask am wetin they make am shout.

The waiter say 1 plate of chicken na N40K, red wine na N60K and extra plate of chicken na another N30K.

Na then I shout HEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY! HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY! HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY! for each item"
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by freshera: 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2011
Whatever stand is right, its the balanced one. Its good to teach kids as early as possible about "blood, sweat and tears" but I will prefer it to be done the Tiger Woods, Williams sisters, Roger Federer, etc way. The focus should be on achievement, passion, talent instead of accumulating dollars,pounds or naira.

At the same time, kids should be taught independence(including financial empowerment) as early as possible as in you start when they are innocent, enthusiastic, and still "empty-headed".

Why I said all this should be balanced is that most abroad kids have no compassion or mercy on their parents when the latter grow old. I have seen a few personal and random examples and I have heard of lots.

Because they are thinking, " I made myself". "What did they really do for me?" "I made my own money by myself" and similar thoughts.

This is contrasting with most Nigerian kids who are always dreaming, "I will buy Bugatti for my father. I will give my mother Bottega ", and the whole shebang.

So the cocktail of targets should be constant talent-stretching, a large dollop of earning livelihood through this or some other work and  bits of dependence and interdependence till they are on their two feet.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by AjanleKoko: 1:23pm On Jun 30, 2011
freshera:

Whatever stand is right, its the balanced one. Its good to teach kids as early as possible about "blood, sweat and tears" but I will prefer it to be done the Tiger Woods, Williams sisters, Roger Federer, etc way. The focus should be on achievement, passion, talent instead of accumulating dollars,pounds or naira.

That'd be hard for people who live in Nigeria. The society is too narrow.
I have been searching for a school that has an established program for extra-curricular activities for months now. Can't find any. The schools keep yammering on about 'British system', 'american system', 'montessori', etc.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 30, 2011
AjanleKoko:

That'd be hard for people who live in Nigeria. The society is too narrow.
I have been searching for a school that has an established program for extra-curricular activities for months now. Can't find any. The schools keep yammering on about 'British system', 'american system', 'montessori', etc.

Same here. My search led to American International School at VI. Their fees no be moinmoin sha, so i gats to tera mose
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^ Spend the money and stop being stingy
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 30, 2011
dayokanu:

^^ Spend the money and stop being stingy

Which money? Comot dia jo! You think say na everybody be big man like you? I be hustler o incase you don't know
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by dayokanu(m): 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
Hustler for where, When you go bring your ikebe come my side,

You know say I don book you down tay tay. You said summer right?
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by chocobunny(f): 3:09am On Jul 01, 2011
*sighs*
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by kandiikane(m): 8:48am On Jul 01, 2011
Well I started working when I was 16 because my mom stopped paying for me to do my hair(its ok if I don't have clothes or makeup but my hair has to be done every 4weeks) and also I needed that little money for myself. I was only fired let go not too long ago and I have started looking(abit tight), hopefully I have had years of good experience to have a managerial position. smiley
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
kandiikane:

Well I started working when I was 16 because my mom stopped paying for me to do my hair(its ok if I don't have clothes or makeup but my hair has to be done every 4weeks) and also I needed that little money for myself. I was only fired let go not too long ago and I have started looking(abit tight), hopefully I have had years of good experience to have a managerial position. smiley
i wont employ u for a secretary position grin grin grin grin grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by kandiikane(m): 12:26am On Jul 02, 2011
^^Na who ask you? Abeg, go play with your action men and legos or go colour your colouring books wink
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by mbulela: 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2011
emmatok:

My friend how many Professors do you have in Covenant compared to UI, OAU, UNN, e.t.c

These private varsities just collect money, they cannot match any of those First Generation Universities.

Gbam!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Often Do You Talk To Your Parents? / Why Do Some People Abandon Their Parents After Marriage? / Best Way To Correct Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.