Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine (17139 Views)

Protesters Block US Military Ship Allegedly Carrying Weapons For Israel / Ben Wallace: Russia Running Out Of Weapons, Can Be Defeated By Ukraine / Germany Finally Approves Heavy Weapons For Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Igbofam: 7:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
BRUSSELS—The European Union for the first time will finance the purchase and delivery of weapons, in a show of support for Ukraine against Russia’s invasion, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Sunday.

The EU also will extend to Belarus sanctions similar to those it imposed on Russia, ban the entry of Russian planes into EU airspace and ban from the 27-country bloc Russian state-owned media outlets Russia Today and Sputnik, as well as their subsidiaries.

Ms. von der Leyen said the EU's decision to finance arms purchases was “a watershed moment.” The EU traces its roots to post-World War II peace efforts and began as an economic alliance.

In closing its airspace, the EU banned not only commercial airliners but any plane owned, registered or controlled by Russians, Ms. von der Leyen said.

“Our airspace will be closed to every Russian plane–and that includes the private jets of oligarchs,” Ms. von der Leyen said.

In announcing sanctions on Belarus, Ms. Von der Leyen said that its leader, Aleksander Lukashenko, “is complicit in this vicious attack against Ukraine” and so would face bans on exports of products including mineral fuels, tobacco, wood, cement, iron and steel. Export restrictions already imposed on Russia also will be extended to Belarus, she said.

In funding arms purchases for Ukraine, the EU won't buy weapons directly but reimburse purchases or transfers from its member countries to Ukraine’s military. The decision to fund lethal weapons marks a sharp turn in EU policy, which until now has largely precluded deadly engagement in conflicts.

“Another taboo has fallen,” said EU foreign-policy chief Josep Borrell, standing alongside Ms. von der Leyen. “We are doing it because this war requires our engagement in order to support the Ukrainian army.”

The funding will come from the European Peace Facility, a financing instrument established by the bloc last March aimed at preventing conflicts and strengthening international security. Able to provide several hundred million dollars annually, it was established outside the EU’s normal budget, in part because inclusion could have complicated arms purchases.

Mr. Borrell said he had directed the EU’s military staff -- which until now has engaged in activities around preventing conflicts -- to coordinate Ukrainian military requests with member states for maximum efficiency.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26/card/RsvTAr5xRh7kjDaPA0QJ

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by mystery22: 8:25pm On Feb 27, 2022
Wow

2 Likes

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by hibeebeeking: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
Ok.
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Brendaniel: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
What I hate about this war is the double standard America and other countries are doing, I'm not justifying Putin's invasion, what I know is whatever will not benefit Europe and America they will never put hand in it, Europe and America have been raping Africa of it's resources from left right and center with bad leaders they impose on the people, have they ever been concerned about the people of Africa concerning the type of leadership and style of governance that Africans want

Instead they impose everything on Africans even up to laws without asking if we are ok with such, an African president that will openly kill his people committing genocide will still be invited for UN meetings and will be awarded in some cases for keeping democracy in that country even if it means killing his own people to maintain democracy.

THEY HAVE NEVER ASKED WHAT DO AFRICANS WANT

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Winters23: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
The so called “civilized EU” now supply weapons to nazi Ukraine just to spite Russia.

If you have been led to think Russia calling out Ukraine for neo-nazism is propaganda, then perhaps the racism perpetrated by Ukraine and Poland in war time against people of color should open your eyes to reality.

Russia will today seat down with Ukraine for peace talks, but since USA, EU and UK are not invited it won’t make the news.

To them, it’s all about world domination, same ideology of the Nazis.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by rottenPussy: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
Just another season of business. War is the tool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Yilosh: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
It's the whole world against Russia.

1 Like

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by casdoruche: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
Borrowed money to buy weapons of war is total trash.

What happens at the end?

If ukraine wins the war they lose and if ukraine lose the war they still lose?

No matter what war leaves traces of sorrow and ruins.

Russian allies are sending their troops e.g Belarus.

Why is America and NATO just drawing back and playing the hero while they are not.

Ukraine needs to check and balance.

Many people support America but always remember America never fight where there is no gain.

Russia and America war is as old as world war 1

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by salbis(m): 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
They can afford millions of dollars for arms, but can't spare thousands of dollars to combat diseases and hunger. Shame!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by athaboi(f): 10:12am On Feb 28, 2022
Ukraine!!!
The world's baby bride....they are enjoying a perfect goodwill of the whole world! I see them coming out of this war a more powerful Nation

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Sociaefi: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
Gdsgj
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by crossfm: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
Peace is all we want to hear.

I know why am bothered,if this war continue soon Nigerian government will be like:

Due to the war going on salaries will be delayed.

The war delayed ASUU negotiation.

Fuel now 360 naira because of the war.

Elections postponed because of the war.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Samuel1402(m): 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
U
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by kelechiodo(m): 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
Good. Very good. When I tell people that the amount previously quoted is to inform the world the quantities and quantities of the weapons they are sending to Ukraine and not that Ukraine would pay for it, they started arguing. Well that is it. No matter whatever happens, Putin will be the ultimate loser in this war.
I've racking my brain to understand his long term goal in this war.
1. He can't govern Ukraine.
2. It is almost impossible to demilitarize a European country in this century by Force.
3. Ukrainians are very stubborn and intensely patriotic. Anyone who is bored of reading history should atleast read Fredrick Forsythe novel "The Devil's Alternative". Putin made a foolish calculation.
4. Historical, Russia has never win a war without allied forces being her allies. Without UK and USA, Russia would have been a forgotten entity either in the first world war or second.
5. Russia is ecomonically too poor to face the world and rest of Europe can exist without it.
6. Putin is not strategical at all. Why lieing to the world that you're not invading, thereby making the entire world affirms that you knew that you have no cause to invade.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Saskay44: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
Ok
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by DropsMic(m): 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
White on white crime grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by SEGLIZ: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
it is obvious they were all waiting for this war to begin. so many americanized Nigeria will applaud this, after allowing sentiment to becloud their reasoning.

why not serve all vested interest than fuel the war? this Ukrainian president is really a comedian and a foolish one at that. your home is being turned to battled ground by your brother and his foes yet you are happy.

this NATO gang for long has being wanting to provoke Russia to a test of power but found Ukraine to be a greedy and foolish little brother than can sacrifice himself for no just reason.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by pyyxxaro: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2022
I can supply them Bow and Arrows lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Vicotex(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
Still does not change the fact that the Western puppet in Ukraine won't be removed in coming days.
NATO know their limits. Baltics hope you're watching closely, try poke the bear and you guys will get overrun.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by vinceyinnovation: 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
My concern is where is the Global Pandemic Coronavirus?

Hundreds of people are dying from the virus (if you know you know) yet no news on it.

I dey vex!

I just lost the senior brother of my niece uncle to the virus!

2 Likes

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by ruggedtimi(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
No
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by veekid(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
Make it snappy
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by TeeGentle(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
Lori iro
On top lie
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Falseprofet2: 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
grin
Putin will finish ukraine
Putin will do this
yen yen- all the childish talk from nairaland teenagers
Meanwhile, offer them a choice of visa to Uk or USA or russia

None of them will go to russia
Frustrated yoots praising dictator

Now Ukraine is showing them pepper
A country with four world champion in boxing and a proud fighting record and you think russia will just blow them away
You must be dreaming

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
they have money for war, but can't feed the poo cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by Aboguede(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
Hope is not what ayam thinking shocked

In another news

The poverty in Europe is growing by the seconds almost stinking shocked
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by MAGNETIC(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2022
Humans is the most dangerous creature.
We will destroy this world by ourselves. We Don't need any supernatural force or power.
Re: EU To Fund Purchase Of Weapons For Ukraine by NaughtyBrainiac: 10:15am On Feb 28, 2022
There is much support for Ukraine.

And I wonder why some people ever thought sanctons won't affect Russia.

Even me wey dey Naija dey feel on behalf of Russia the effect of the too many sanctions.

Almost everything that connects with Russia is affected. Person wey no buy sef don dey pay.

I don't know anything but I know that it doesn't make sense for only one man to put millions of Russians in a lot of mess.

It is not even this terrible in Nigeria. After all, many of our so-called terrible Leaders still get properly challenged and sometimes bow to pressure

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

China Mobilizes Military, On 'high Alert' Over N. Korea Threats / Mali, Niger, Burkina Juntas Sign Mutual Defence Pact / Alexei Navalny’s Former Chief Of Staff Volkov Attacked In Lithuania(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.