Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development (14549 Views)

Learning Backend Web Development / Why Is Python Programming So Hard To Understand / Object-oriented Programming In Python(A more simplified and thorough guide). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Iretii0511(m): 5:17pm On Mar 03, 2022
benalvino3:

It is not Java
It is not JavaScript.

JavaScript is not Java.

Node is a runtime Environment that lets you run Js on a server.

JavaScript is a scripting language, node.js is a runtime environment not a scripting language.

Node.js does not have the abilities to add html tags. With this I can say they are not the same thing.

You guys like creating confusion that does not exist anywhere. It's like saying because Chrome uses V8 writing in C++, Then React is not JS.

What language do you use in Node.js? Are codes writen using Node not JS, or are they no longer server side?
You said JS is mostly used for frontend, so codes sitting in Node.js are no longer JS because NODE is a runtime engine?

2 Likes

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by twosquare(m): 5:22pm On Mar 03, 2022
Learn Go tongue tongue
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Iretii0511(m): 5:25pm On Mar 03, 2022
Alusiizizi:

The JS DOM was created specifically to enhance and make easier front-end web development.

Not sure I understand where you are going with this though.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by H100: 5:27pm On Mar 03, 2022
With due respect

I want to learn
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by benalvino3: 5:30pm On Mar 03, 2022
Iretii0511:

You guys like creating confusion that does not exist anywhere. It's like saying because Chrome uses V8 writing in C++, Then React is not JS.

What language do you use in Node.js? Are codes writen using Node not JS, or are they no longer server side?
You said JS is mostly used for frontend, so codes sitting in Node.js are no longer JS because NODE is a runtime engine?

Its you that wants to confuse yourself. There is JAVA and there is JAVA runtime environment JRE. They are not the same thing.

Node.js is a runtime environment. Know the difference.

React, angularJs etc. Are all frameworks of JavaScript and Node.js is not. Just as how you have pho frameworks laravel and symphony.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by bukxy: 5:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
wisdomlspeace:
existed for a long time, alot of repetition has been abstracted away eg the class based view , Viewset on drf etc, so you write smaller and cleaner code for problem that tends to repeat itsef(which happens alot in programing)
Learning python easily open you for other opportunities like data science, machine learning etc compared to PHP which is only used for the web.
You spoilt everything u said by saying PHP is a dieing language.

do u know the meaning of a dieing language?
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by debbie(f): 5:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
This is totally false. You don't know python that much to understand that you use Django for it. I have built several web application
from ecommerce,to real estate and online learning portal backend using Python Django and MySQL or postgresql.
February30:

oga, python can't create a functional forum website,

php does that perfectly.
php allows user update and delete data from server.

2 Likes

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by digitite: 5:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
Think9ja:
Who can mentor me in this programming adventure?
While it is so easy for others to just go on Youtube and become experts, same cannot be said of me.
I visit youtube almost on a daily basis but i just don't get it.

Where can i use the h1 in my page? Examples of h1 tag in some websites
How can i layout my page the way I want it? Like, how do i make some things to appear on any position i want whether left or right? What goes where?

Most of the videos i see just explain a concept, give an example on VS Code, check it on chrome and that's all. When next they want to explain another concept, they'll erase the earlier one and explain the new one and so on.
Can someone pls direct me to a tutorial where a website was built from scratch to finish?

i really need to learn how to code.
I would have gone to a coding bootcamp but i don't have the means.

Someone should pls, volunteer and help me acquire this LIFE changing skill

Thanks

I will help you. I see you are passionate about programming. h1 to h6 etc are heading tags. First learn HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Jquery, Json are client side programming and a Front Developer.

Then you move on to server side, that is Back end and Databases. But for you to succeed, you must following the best international practices.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by digitite: 5:47pm On Mar 03, 2022
In my opinion , it depends on what you want to use the programming language for. If PHP is good for web applications , then you stick to it. As python is good for Data Analysis.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by digitite: 5:50pm On Mar 03, 2022
DEADALIVE:
My advice for you is simply study all the fintech applications and real time application that involves transaction of money.
Front end and back end, check and compare their syntax and scripts language , complexity, down time to solving the solution it was created for! and master codes/script functionality.
Any platform will work depend on how fast and knowledgeable you are at a particular project.
Except your client specify the platform he or she wants then you can as well contract the job to professional in that other aspect.
The koko be say do wetin go put food for your table no go learn wetin go de usless for u for 2023.

Great Post.

1 Like

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by bukxy: 5:51pm On Mar 03, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Where are you guys getting the notion that NL is built on Python? NL was launched in 2005 using SMF, built with PHP
seun said it has been re-written in python.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Ayomipoe(m): 5:52pm On Mar 03, 2022
@op
If you are just starting, I'd advise you to not be bogged down into wanting to learn the best language or whatnot. Your mind at this stage just needs to take in the concepts and understand programming problem-solving.
You'll most likely learn and use multiple languages over the course of your programming experience.
Don't let someone else's flavour of code make you feel like another language is not good enough. Personally, I'd go with Python because I feel like it reads like English and curly braces are annoying sometimes.
I will also suggest looking at Javascript/Typescript/Node is not also a bad choice as it is close to the web and the knowledge you gain can easily translate to the frontend.
I've not used Php before, but Php devs will swear by it. Learn anyone, the main thing here is that you learn.
And don't let anyone delude you to the fact that there is no market for it in Nigeria. Why are you limiting yourself to Nigeria? People from the weirdest places even, need your services, crazy fact is that the only job I've ever gotten in Nigeria was an unpaid internship and several rubbish interview experiences.

2 Likes

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by benalvino3: 5:56pm On Mar 03, 2022
debbie:
This is totally false. You don't know python that much to understand that you use Django for it. I have built several web application
from ecommerce,to real estate and online learning portal backend using Python Django and MySQL or postgresql.

Python has a lot of libraries. Sometimes you can make a website without doing any job. You just need to know the commands and libraries you want to use.

I checked you mini projects and they are nice. I did something similarly on ASP.net a movie application.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Aaaoo: 6:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
No
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by sagieramos(m): 6:14pm On Mar 03, 2022
benalvino3:

I agree it is backward because the owners dont want to improve on it.

I can tell you that python and php are slow language.

If you want performance pho and python is not for you... But python is a beast of a language.
Bro what language would you advise I go for? Best for performance
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Maj196(m): 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2022
Before you get a Django job for Naija. E go tey guy
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by benalvino3: 6:27pm On Mar 03, 2022
sagieramos:

Bro what language would you advise I go for? Best for performance

It depends on if you want to be fullstack or not.

If you want to do front end then you know its html, css and Jscript.

For back end I will say look at the job market and what is trending.

Personally I would say go ASP.NET which means you have to know c# and if you know c# you know JAVA and when you know c# you can easily make windows app, android and ios apps, web applications etc. You just need to learn the framework for what you want to build. But if you go php you are stock to just websites. Python has many applications as well... Website is just one of them.

.NET framework can now interact with javascript codes etc.

So it depends on you and what you want to do.

My first application on .NET ran on windows pc and xbox and my windows phone. It was a movie app like popcorn time. Then I moved from that to web application. I made the same movie application.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by bularuz(m): 6:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
February30:

php does that perfectly.

Very funny you obviously have never heard of django before
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by benalvino3: 6:30pm On Mar 03, 2022
bularuz:

Very funny you obviously have never heard of django before

Yeah, you can create a working web app with django without doing any real back end coding.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by wellrounded: 6:32pm On Mar 03, 2022
debbie:
Greetings to you.
I'll like to know more about your educational background
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Think9ja(m): 6:34pm On Mar 03, 2022
digitite:

I will help you. I see you are passionate about programming. h1 to h6 etc are heading tags. First learn HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Jquery, Json are client side programming and a Front Developer.

Then you move on to server side, that is Back end and Databases. But for you to succeed, you must following the best international practices.

Alright, thanks
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by debbie(f): 6:38pm On Mar 03, 2022
True and when you see a Django job ..the pay is mouth watery really. They are in high demand outside Nigeria.
Maj196:
Before you get a Django job for Naija. E go tey guy

2 Likes

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Karleb(m): 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
debbie:

You have time sha.

1 Like

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by specialmati(m): 6:54pm On Mar 03, 2022
please who will teach me this program or affiliate marketing
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by miketayo(m): 6:57pm On Mar 03, 2022
February30:

php does that perfectly.

but nairaland was built with python, I will pick PHP over python for backend dev. but python is growing faster than PHP in today's world.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by February30(m): 7:18pm On Mar 03, 2022
February30:

knowing Odoo is not a yardstick.

the computer world is very big.

no inventor can brag of the monopoly of computer knowledge.

that's why we have open source and collaboration.

thanks to everyone, I can't go mentioning every participants of the python vs php "debate".

I think, I have to take another step into python. especially for backend and server side.

thanks once more.

1 Like

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Omniman(m): 7:31pm On Mar 03, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Django can do that easily and perfectly undecided

Chop Knuckle
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by TheOgaBoss: 7:33pm On Mar 03, 2022
February30:

knowing Odoo is not a yardstick.

the computer world is very big.

no inventor can brag of the monopoly of computer knowledge.

that's why we have open source and collaboration.
the guy is actually right in saying that php is much more flexible because it is purposely designed for web apps, while python is also good, let's not forget that it is a general purpose language and may not present as much flexibility when building web apps. To the ops qn, I think if he wants to branch off into other aspects of softw dev in future then learning python now will give him a solid foundation.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Maj196(m): 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2022
debbie:
True and when you see a Django job ..the pay is mouth watery really. They are in high demand outside Nigeria.
I don't even like python. But, yes the pay should be higher.
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Dumte(m): 8:33pm On Mar 03, 2022
Yes... Python or nothing.
Click to join our group

https:///FZ25xgrgrnVGGap0cxIlHD
Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by Golan007: 8:49pm On Mar 03, 2022
wisdomIspeace:
I have been using Django framework for man than 5 years now, Django works perfectly for web, I mean perfectly.
Django has a robust templating engine, awesome ORM and uses the MVT architecture which makes you write safe and secure code.
You don't have to worry about writing complex queries, as the ORM does the heavy lifting for you.
I have used both Laravel and Django and i can tell you Django ORM is a lot smoother and versatile than Laravel Eloquent.
Django also have a powerful library that lets build restful api for your frontend applications like mobile apps. Because it has existed for a long time, alot of repetition has been abstracted away eg the class based view , Viewset on drf etc, so you write smaller and cleaner code for problem that tends to repeat itsef(which happens alot in programing)
Learning python easily open you for other opportunities like data science, machine learning etc compared to PHP which is only used for the web.
The only limitation of Django in the web is the support for websockets , but django channels is here to solve that anyways(Which i have used).
All in all you cant go wrong by using python for the web.
And if at all you don't want to choose python please don't go for php, it is a dieing language , go for something like node js, goland, java etc those are here to stay

MVC you mean?

1 Like

Re: Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development by IbroMaka(m): 8:50pm On Mar 03, 2022
Think9ja:
Who can mentor me in this programming adventure?
While it is so easy for others to just go on Youtube and become experts, same cannot be said of me.
I visit youtube almost on a daily basis but i just don't get it.

Where can i use the h1 in my page? Examples of h1 tag in some websites
How can i layout my page the way I want it? Like, how do i make some things to appear on any position i want whether left or right? What goes where?

Most of the videos i see just explain a concept, give an example on VS Code, check it on chrome and that's all. When next they want to explain another concept, they'll erase the earlier one and explain the new one and so on.
Can someone pls direct me to a tutorial where a website was built from scratch to finish?

i really need to learn how to code.
I would have gone to a coding bootcamp but i don't have the means.

Someone should pls, volunteer and help me acquire this LIFE changing skill

Thanks

There are lots of great programming languages out there, but JavaScript is number 1 for versatility.

I decided to learn JavaScript because it can be used for virtually anything.

JavaScript: One language, many career options.... Job market security in a single programming language.

Job security: "I'm unlikely to get fired"

Job Market security: "If I get fired I have skills which mean I can quickly find another job that pays the same or even more"

JavaScript:

* Backend ✅
* Frontend ✅
* Mobile apps ✅

✅ JavaScript has you covered

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Web Design, Web Development And Mobile App Development Tutorial / I Need Advice On How I Can Create A Social Media / Simple, Rich & Fast Approach To Learning Javascript. Whatsapp Group Inclusive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.