Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,469 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT (34975 Views)

Two Years After, FG Loses ₦2.4 Billion To Land Border Closure In Ogun / FG Loses N34bn Fraud Case Against Tompolo’s Firm, Others / COVID-19: FG Loses N20 Billion In 7 Days As Banks Stop Operations In Ports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Emir01: 8:25am On Mar 02, 2022
It's sad that people don't read again. The bill was failed it doesn't meet 73 votes requirement. Stop reading the headlines.
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by beejay85: 8:26am On Mar 02, 2022
rxmusa:
Finally! Alhamdulillah!! Congratulations!!!
Now we don't have to be forced to enjoy from beer and wine VATs.
Your State Govt can calculate the percentage of VAT accrued through alcohol and wine ...then return it said amount to federal coffers but no..
Alcohol and wine is Haram but it's money is halal to your Governor grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Cognitivereason: 8:42am On Mar 02, 2022
Cool smiley
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by zoedew: 8:46am On Mar 02, 2022
ExplorationHub:

https://punchng.com/fg-loses-out-nass-affirms-states-power-to-collect-vat/
Prof Sagay should leave LG matters for another day. This is our present level of development.

1 Like

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Cognitivereason: 8:47am On Mar 02, 2022
Emir01:
It's sad that people don't read again. The bill was failed it doesn't meet 73 votes requirement. Stop reading the headlines.

You dat read the details didn't understand...
It failed to get 73 votes to be placed on the executive list..meaning it solidly remains In the concurrent list meaning state get to collect VAT

6 Likes

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by justli: 8:49am On Mar 02, 2022
I liked the 8th assembly, but I'm beginning to like the current assembly even more. Such people driven legislation should be commended by all. We need institutions and laws that will drive economic inclusiveness and that's what this bills aim at.
If we manage to get state policing done, then Nigeria would have been halfway restructured

2 Likes

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by maxzzo1(m): 9:00am On Mar 02, 2022

2 Likes

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Zona123(m): 9:18am On Mar 02, 2022
The question now is, will those monies be judiciously used for the development of the various states by the state chief executives or will it go the way as the security votes they receive annually from the federal government? I'm just thinking
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 9:20am On Mar 02, 2022
The lawan led nass is better than the saraki led nass...cc fergie001, it means the vat is on the concurrent list

1 Like

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Tonytonex(m): 9:26am On Mar 02, 2022
All the state governors should thank governor Wike.
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Blue3k(m): 9:36am On Mar 02, 2022
I remember you telling me if NASS passes this sort of bill the state assemblies will follow along. Do you still believe this to be the case?

garfield1:

True.if it passes through the nass,it will pass through the states
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:43am On Mar 02, 2022
Rubber stamp right?
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 9:44am On Mar 02, 2022
Blue3k:
I remember you telling me if NASS passes this sort of bill the state assemblies will follow along. Do you still believe this to be the case?

The bill is dead already. it seems the nass do not really understand the import of vat
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 9:46am On Mar 02, 2022
Tonytonex:
All the state governors should thank governor Wike.

For what?
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:46am On Mar 02, 2022
Good one!
But I am now fearful of thinking what the FG would Resort to to fill the void created by this revenue stream.

1 Like

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by tiegahpor: 9:47am On Mar 02, 2022
fatatoulli:
Kudos to Wike for championing the VAT struggle for States. He'll go down in history as the father of restructuring for a new Nigeria.

SHUT UP kid!!!

The VAT struggle is even before Wike became GOVERNOR..

Uninformed, unschooled kid!

1 Like

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Blue3k(m): 9:48am On Mar 02, 2022
garfield1:

The bill is dead already. it seems the nass do not really understand the import of vat

Ok your position changed on that specific point. State legislatures won't ratify such a bill in your opinion.
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by murmee: 9:48am On Mar 02, 2022
AntiBMC:
Let's see if the lawless fed govt will accept their loss.

This is a great victory actually... the next thing that needs to be tackled is State policing...and then from there, regional or State’s resource control.
What is actually happening in the National Assembly is Restructuring in a very peaceful way. KUDOS to the Assembly members!
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by murmee: 9:49am On Mar 02, 2022
bluefilm:
True federalism is finally about to happen
EXACTLY!
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Tonytonex(m): 9:49am On Mar 02, 2022
garfield1:

For what?
Read. It won't kill you. I don't have time to answer your question.
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by tiegahpor: 9:50am On Mar 02, 2022
Oxb90:
Truth always prevails against lies. This will spur all sleeping governors to wake from their slumber.
Tuale @Wike.

The case is still in court...

Don't be UNINFORMED!

Wike did NOTHING!!!

Aliyu Babangida,Niger former GOVERNOR,has harped severally on VAT,and took it up personally,even before WIKE became GOVERNOR..

All you uninformed kids running around with fake news..

2 Likes

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Aderewah: 10:02am On Mar 02, 2022
rolams:

And failed, right?

What step do they take after that?

Let's commend Wike abeg. I be Lagosian, but let's put sentiment apart. I love the fact that Lagos State quickly passed the law and joined in the suit. God bless both states!

Failed or not. Lagos state started the battle. Full stop.

3 Likes

Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by COMPAQ(m): 10:16am On Mar 02, 2022
Don't all these amendments still have to go to all the State House Houses of Assembly? Can someone clarify please??
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by Dawn91(m): 10:38am On Mar 02, 2022
prophetfire:
. I saw it yesterday on this nairaland too.

Exactly
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 10:41am On Mar 02, 2022
Blue3k:

Ok your position changed on that specific point. State legislatures won't ratify such a bill in your opinion.

It seems you misunderstood me.I said if nass put vat on exclusive listzl,assemblies will ratify it
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 10:42am On Mar 02, 2022
Tonytonex:
Read. It won't kill you. I don't have time to answer your question.

Majority of states are losers here
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by garfield1: 10:43am On Mar 02, 2022
vivaciousvivi:
Good one!
But I am now fearful of thinking what the FG would Resort to to fill the void created by this revenue stream.

The fg will even make more money
Re: FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT by omohayek: 10:52am On Mar 02, 2022
garfield1:

Majority of states are losers here
To the extent that the change in VAT collection finally starts to force these miserable excuses for "states" to start relying on taxes from their own citizens instead of FG handouts, this is actually a huge victory for accountability. There's nothing like knowing it's your taxes (and not "free" money from Abuja) that are on the line to get citizens engaged and paying close attention to what their governors are up to.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See How Nigerians Reacted To APC Leaders Who Were Applying For GEJ's YOUWIN / Oby Ezekwesili Writes On Magu's Disqualification As EFCC Chairman / FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.