Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? (15329 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Men Can You Do This For Your Wife Or Girlfriend? Photo / House Wife Stabbed To Death By Mother-In-law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by ronkebp(f): 4:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
Cuddlemii:

@ronke

That was very rude of you to refer to me as 'that one" like I am some entity or thing. I only made a comment and didn't even read your post or comment on it. I know where my priority lies and don't need you to analyze that for me. I said me being a working class lady would not affect my role as a home maker or a good wife and mother. I will like to pitch in my own quota to the family expenses and spendings. I believe you were dealing with Dayo and not cuddlemii.

As long as my goals are accomplished, I don't need to derive the method of others but find what works for my whole family and off course my hubby would also be part of that decision.

So what happens when my hubby can't provide again, we should move back to the village abi? We all know the uncertain economy we are in, its wise to save for the rainy days
Please madam, mind you grammer.

Cuddlemi, i was not referring to you as 'that one" but the post, so don't be offended by that, i did not mean any harm, moerover i envy you, (positively) just let me know when you are married and have kids, if you still think the way you do. wink
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by juman(m): 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2011
Working class lady.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Cuddlemii: 6:14pm On Jul 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Oya lets find one corner to go and do more than cuddle

Kanu, lolz i see ur dribbling skills no dey end for field. No be u talk say u no like lazy woman. working class no go follow u go corner oh cos na against company policy.

ronkebp:

Cuddlemi, i was not referring to you as 'that one" but the post, so don't be offended by that, i did not mean any harm, moerover i envy you, (positively) just let me know when you are married and have kids, if you still think the way you do. wink

Its ok im a loving and forgiving lady. Thanks 4 d prophecy, will even invite u.

juman:

Working class lady.

working class gentleman
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by cooker: 6:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
working class lady
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Cuddlemii: 6:28pm On Jul 01, 2011
cooker:

working class lady

grin grin grin grin grin working class chef as u no be male or female
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by MissIfe(f): 7:37pm On Jul 01, 2011
It's an interesting topic, I have never thought of being a housewife ever in my life. Being married with kids, I now think it is good for a woman to have a balanced lifestyle between work and family. Work is necessary, because I consider my husband and I to be a team, we work together towards goals, we both contribute to the family, and the same way I like him to give me a hand with the housechores, I find it normal to bring my own salary home. I also have my own ambitions and plans for the future, and work guarantees some independence.

Talking about that, having a stable career allowed me to marry the one I truly loved, whether than looking for an already made man and certainly missing on great but not yet wealthy ones.

That being said, I believe there are some moments in a woman's life when it is ok, and probably better to stay home : during the 1st year after birth, for example, and why not until the child goes to school, to make it easier and less stressful (breastfeeding, baby's sleepless nights etc.). I decided to leave a big enough gap between my kids in order to stay home a bit after birth but still go back to work to keep in touch with my career before getting pregnant again.

I've always wondered, though, what the housewives will do after the kids are grown and gone? Won't they feel left out, alone at home waiting for their husband to retire?
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Jul 01, 2011
Miss_Ife:

It's an interesting topic, I have never thought of being a housewife ever in my life. Being married with kids, I now think it is good for a woman to have a balanced lifestyle between work and family. Work is necessary, because I consider my husband and I to be a team, we work together towards goals, we both contribute to the family, and the same way I like him to give me a hand with the housechores, I find it normal to bring my own salary home. I also have my own ambitions and plans for the future, and work guarantees some independence.

Talking about that, having a stable career allowed me to marry the one I truly loved, whether than looking for an already made man and certainly missing on great but not yet wealthy ones.

That being said, I believe there are some moments in a woman's life when it is ok, and probably better to stay home : during the 1st year after birth, for example, and why not until the child goes to school, to make it easier and less stressful (breastfeeding, baby's sleepless nights etc.). I decided to leave a big enough gap between my kids in order to stay home a bit after birth but still go back to work to keep in touch with my career before getting pregnant again.

I've always wondered, though, what the housewives will do after the kids are grown and gone? Won't they feel left out, alone at home waiting for their husband to retire?

The bolded is a very good question
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Cuddlemii: 7:46pm On Jul 01, 2011
Miss_Ife:

Hi five!
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Ndipe(m): 9:22pm On Jul 01, 2011
For those who disagree on my thought that being a housewife is a fulltime career, I would tell them to reconsider their viewpoints. Traditionally, men are supposed to be the breadwinners and women the man's helper. So, in the past, society dictated that a man had to work while the woman stayed at home to nurture the kids. Times have changed with the high cost of living in the society. Even when women work outside their homes (and some of the men here say that being a stay at home mom is a liability), they are expected to come home and take care of the kids, do the dishes, clean, cook and serve the man food. And the man does not even lift up a finger to help them. Rather, he would expect 'honey' to serve him food, clean up the table and do other domestic chores around. Why? Because it's a woman's job. But hey hey, is it not a man's job to provide for the family? If the woman will equally share in contributing to the household finances, then the man should also assist in domestic chores. Afterall, both of you have jobs outside home and it would be unfair to expect the woman to work double shift at home simply because it's not traditional for a man to engage in housework. There is this picture of Obama, prior to his election as the President of the USA, doing the dishes, and some of the men exclaimed that it was very unafrican (which I totally agreed) But times have changed, mek we boku help women too, dem no be slave. Either they stay at home fulltime or if they work, when they come home, also assist them in domestic chores. It's as simple as that. Women are not slaves.

Once, an arguement arose between my cousin and I over this issue. A family friend of theirs graduated from medical school in Nigeria, got married and is now a stay at home mom. Her parents are unhappy that she hasnt utilized her degree and cited the sacrifices they made on her behalf. My cousin saw their reasoning but I completely disagreed with him. I told him that it was the parents duty to educate her, and afterwards, what she chooses to do with her degree is solely upto her and her husband. O
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by ronkebp(f): 9:45pm On Jul 01, 2011
Ndipe:

For those who disagree on my thought that being a housewife is a fulltime career, I would tell them to reconsider their viewpoints. Traditionally, men are supposed to be the breadwinners and women the man's helper. So, in the past, society dictated that a man had to work while the woman stayed at home to nurture the kids. Times have changed with the high cost of living in the society. Even when women work outside their homes (and some of the men here say that being a stay at home mom is a liability), they are expected to come home and take care of the kids, do the dishes, clean, cook and serve the man food. And the man does not even lift up a finger to help them. Rather, he would expect 'honey' to serve him food, clean up the table and do other domestic chores around. Why? Because it's a woman's job. But hey hey, is it not a man's job to provide for the family? If the woman will equally share in contributing to the household finances, then the man should also assist in domestic chores. Afterall, both of you have jobs outside home and it would be unfair to expect the woman to work double shift at home simply because it's not traditional for a man to engage in housework. There is this picture of Obama, prior to his election as the President of the USA, doing the dishes, and some of the men exclaimed that it was very unafrican (which I totally agreed) But times have changed, mek we boku help women too, dem no be slave. Either they stay at home fulltime or if they work, when they come home, also assist them in domestic chores. It's as simple as that. Women are not slaves.

Once, an arguement arose between my cousin and I over this issue. A family friend of theirs graduated from medical school in Nigeria, got married and is now a stay at home mom. Her parents are unhappy that she hasnt utilized her degree and cited the sacrifices they made on her behalf. My cousin saw their reasoning but I completely disagreed with him. I told him that it was the parents duty to educate her, and afterwards, what she chooses to do with her degree is solely upto her and her husband. O

My dear, the guys don't understand ooo, they think a lady that decides to stay home with her kids is lazy, there are lazy women too, (the truth be told), and just as someone asked, what will the woman be doing after the kids go to school? it would be boring to sit home doing nothing all day, so at that time it is better to get the hands busy, if not, an idle mind would turn to the 'devils workshop' and 'a gossip'.
EEyah i pity that doctor oooo, you see what women sacrifice just for their kids, [b]it is sacrifice, [/b]a big one.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2011
Ndipe:

Pls which kind of men are you talking about and which man would expect a woman to serve him food after a hard days work while he wont do anything? Are we still in the 18th century?

In the olden days, Women dont go to school, and many viewed the education of women as a waste, But nowadays Women are getting as educated as men and in some cases even more educated So why keep the dynamics of 100yrs ago in 2011.

Why keep women tied at home like its done 100yrs ago when they were nt allowed to have an education, vote or even talk in public
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Ndipe(m): 10:21pm On Jul 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Pls which kind of men are you talking about and which man would expect a woman to serve him food after a hard days work while he wont do anything? Are we still in the 18th century?

In the olden days, Women dont go to school, and many viewed the education of women as a waste, But nowadays Women are getting as educated as men and in some cases even more educated So why keep the dynamics of 100yrs ago in 2011.

Why keep women tied at home like its done 100yrs ago when they were nt allowed to have an education, vote or even talk in public

Are you telling me that wives dont serve their husbands food anymore in addition to attending to other domestic chores? Or are you implying that the men assist in domestic chores including washing the dishes, sweeping, cleaning, that will be unusual in the Nigerian culture.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 10:44pm On Jul 01, 2011
Ndipe,

All men I know below the age of 40 that dont have househelps help with household chores
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Nosyke(m): 10:47pm On Jul 01, 2011
Ndipe:

Are you telling me that wives dont serve their husbands food anymore in addition to attending to other domestic chores? Or are you implying that the men assist in domestic chores including washing the dishes, sweeping, cleaning, that will be unusual in the Nigerian culture.

Yes,things have changed all thanks to civilisation and exposure, men do help out in the kitchen now, wash clothes and some even attend to their babies/kids and it is not seen as unusual anymore
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Ndipe(m): 10:51pm On Jul 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Ndipe,

[b]All men I know below the age of 40 that dont have househelps help with household chores
[/b]

You did a survey to come up with this conclusion?
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 10:54pm On Jul 01, 2011
Did you see "That I know" there?
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by blank(f): 5:45am On Jul 02, 2011
How would u know when you started daycare at 3months.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by bestads(m): 5:56am On Jul 02, 2011
The best combination for couples is that one should be working,while the other should be self employed, Imagine where a husband and wife who are workers in different industries(companies) gets laid off due to recession,reconstruction,re-engineering or retrenchment which happens on a monthly basis.

Therefore i suggest the man to be a self-employed business man and the wife if she wants to work should work in a Govt parastatal or ministry where there is no much pressure of work like the BANKERS who get so much pressure and are easily laid-oof whenever there is a new CBN Governor or downturn in the economy
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by frankdata(m): 4:23pm On Jul 03, 2011
i think its jst what the Man wants,
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by freshera: 7:48pm On Jul 03, 2011
Unicef says, A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE.

And I say, parents' sacrifices, personal efforts, teachers' slogging and friends 'n' relatives chipping in; TORI OMO NI, for all that to waste is horrific.

So working-class all the way. But there may be situations that may warrant the man or his wife staying at home or working at home for certain amount of time.

What happens if one has only girl children and one stayed at home for them?
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 03, 2011
Dayo please keep shut. You have no right whatsoever to call a woman who decided to choose family over career lazy. Seriously you have no rights. You don't run their homes with/for them instead you run your behind on this site with your million and one e-concubines. So shuuush.

Why wouldn't your mum work full time with 4 kids? even me sef can afford to work fulltime if I decide to dump my kids in daycare. We are talking about women that spend all day with their kids because they do not believe in someone else taking their spot all in the name of daycare teachers, this are women that stay home with kids and send them to school only when they are eligible to start nursery school. Women that spend a better part of their time being there for their kids. If you have a child you will know that kids look up to their parents, they go to school and come back looking into mummy's eyes for mummy to tell them that it's alright to spend so much time every weekday with fellow kids they do not know.

Soo don't sit your azz on the chair and call housewives lazy behind your computer screen.

1 Like

Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 03, 2011
I ve been following the Casey Anthoney's case for over a month now and i thought umm, what if the mum had stayed home and raised this girl and not dependent on daycares and stuff before her schl age maybe she wouldnt have turned into a terrible being afterall, just a food for thot.(trial live broadcast on cnn.com) pathetic.

I was raised by workaholics and i hate every moment if it during my childhood, overworked moms get tired and dont have time for their husbands and husbands tend to have relationships and the marriage break anyways and thats why i hear divorce this divorce that, well maybe if you sit your arse  at home and raise your kids right, let them eat home cooked meals and not frigging macD happy meals /mr biggs and your husband eats good meal cos healthy stomach is a healthy mind.

Dont get me twisted, i love women to work after raising their children to schl age(grade 1,primary1(6yrs) and then go back to work , its even more convinient then, look its not fun staying home atall so kudos to whoever wants to .

and Dayo please stop typing, its very irritating, and i feel very sorry for your mom, i am sure she  would have a long story  to tell if you ever bother to ask her how she felt when she raised her kids and what role your Dad played as per helping and in household chores.

I wont reply to you just so you know cos you dont sound credible atall, sorry. smiley

frankdata:

i think its jst what the Man wants,  

I really dont care what the man wants, i only care about what is best for my children cos men wants whats good for them only.

freshera:

Unicef says, A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE.

And I say, parents' sacrifices, personal efforts, teachers' slogging and friends 'n' relatives chipping in; TORI OMO NI, for all that to waste is horrific.

So working-class all the way. But there may be situations that may warrant the man or his wife staying at home or working at home for certain amount of time.

What happens if one has only girl children and one stayed at home for them?
what happens? please answer.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 03, 2011
jennykadry:

Dayo please keep shut. You have no right whatsoever to call a woman who decided to choose family over career lazy. Seriously you have no rights. You don't run their homes with/for them instead you run your behind on this site with your million and one e-concubines. So shuuush.

Why wouldn't your mum work full time with 4 kids? even me sef can afford to work fulltime if I decide to dump my kids in daycare. We are talking about women that spend all day with their kids because they do not believe in someone else taking their spot all in the name of daycare teachers, this are women that stay home with kids and send them to school only when they are eligible to start nursery school. Women that spend a better part of their time being there for their kids. If you have a child you will know that kids look up to their parents, they go to school and come back looking into mummy's eyes for mummy to tell them that it's alright to spend so much time every weekday with fellow kids they do not know.

Soo don't sit your azz on the chair and call housewives lazy behind your computer screen.

Its simple, he is just an example of how women are treated in his home and he sounds like a bully too cos kids that are not well taken care of turns to bully. yadda yadda yadda let me see him load the frigging dishwasher. smh
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by DaDoctor: 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
^^Hey,,,NO FIGHTING^^ cheesy
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by blank(f): 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2011
Aquating daycare with university. What is the difference between sending your kids to Daycare and having a nanny? None. Some people think say we no sabi English.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On Jul 04, 2011
jennykadry:

They are lazzzyy simple, A woman who leaves her kids in daycare pursues her career ambition at the same time raises a family, WHile the LAZY ones prefer to sit at home doing great chores like loading the dishwasher, washing machine and tuning to African magic to monitor the lives of other working women who took their careers seriously.

Casey Anthony probably became a murderer because she didnt have a housewife as a mother? Like seriously? This reasoning amazes me to no end, Like we dont have people raised by Full time housewives who turned to be serial killers. Some things are just plain ridiculous, e.g

husbands tend to have relationships and the marriage break anyways and thats why i hear divorce this divorce that,

If anyone sees a more myopic post kindly let me know, Husband of full time housewives dont cheat and dont divorce? Insightful I must say

My mom sure has a long story to tell as a fulfilled woman, WHo worked her way to the top of her career(not loading washing machine) at the same time raising 4 kids and being a married woman for over 30yrs.

1 Like

Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by blank(f): 5:00pm On Jul 04, 2011
she raised abi na daycare raise una. Stop blurring the truth.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 5:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
Daycare raised just as Nursery aunties, primary school teachers also raised kids of full time housewives
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by blank(f): 5:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
Why do u keep equating daycare and nursery? What does a 3month old baby learn there? How to poop and how to eat? Na wa to u. Next thing u will talk about university being the same as daycare. Very few full time stay at home moms send their kids to daycare. Nursey school is not even that important cos u can do it yourself as well. Try that as a working mom na. Lazy man that is looking for a free ride on his wife's back.
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
So for you to have a career dream and live it is a big ask.

Well to each his own, let the lazy women moan about how hard it is to load clothes in washing machine and how kids who by the age of 6 are already in school need a mom to sit in front of TV all day.

What a good lesson to your daughters, All you need in life is to have a pucci and phock a man good, Then you are fulfilled and all your wants would be met
Re: Would You Prefer Your Wife To Be A House Wife Or A Working Class Lady? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2011
Da Doctor:

^^Hey,,,NO FIGHTING^^ cheesy

Please dont Hey me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Money No Sex: Zimbabwean Wife Demands Money From Husband Before Having Sex / Abia Couple Who Had Three Stillbirths In 5 Years Finally Welcomes Baby [pix] / Is My Dad Taking Advantage Of Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.