Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. (26156 Views)

Tenant Moved His Bike Up A Six Storey Building (pictures) / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months? / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by Olam09(m): 3:01pm On Mar 08, 2022
yongLord:
Don't know if this is the right thread but I hope it gets to the right audience. Pardon my English. I'll try to make it brief

A very close friend just got an apartment and moved in late December, the house was gotten through the sister (to the owner) who monitored the construction of the house. The house hasn't been registered with the electricity company and water isn't running as at the time he paid (190k + 40k (commission &agreement)) the water.

On Saturday, he said the owner came and the wife attended to them outside as they were discussing some other things about the house while he was praying inside. Before she left she even played with his children and gave them #200 also took their picture.

Fast forward to Monday, he got a call from the husband to the sister saying all sought of abusive words to him claiming the owner of the house wasn't attended to properly, they were supposed to let her in even without the consent of the husband since she's the owner of the house, therefore they should move out at month end. The wife called the owner of the house and she said the same thing then the another of their brother called again saying the same thing. They claimed that their remaining change will be refunded.

The question now is, should he stand on collecting all of the money or the balance as they said?

Threaten legal action. They gonna pay more money than the one they collected.
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2022
So long as there's a written agreement I don't see the need to fret. Take the idiots to court
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by femijay8271(m): 3:09pm On Mar 08, 2022
litaninja:
Go to the office of the public defender in lagos. And no, contrary to what many people believe for some reason, no court will allow you live there rent-free. What the court may allow you do is have enough of a notice period to find another place and you pay the rent of the notice period.

Pls boss, I wanna ask u this, what if am having 6months before my rent due and the landlord said na dat 6months am to use and then park out without giving me extra 6months since am paying annually, pls what am I suppose to do in this situation?
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by do4luv14(m): 3:23pm On Mar 08, 2022
BlueRayDick:

Let me tell u a story.

I have know of a friend who came about some money, built an apartment and asked his mum to pack-in 2hile he was out of the country. His mum believed the location to be too far from town where things are happening so she allowed her cousin who had housing issue to stay there in the interim.

The interim turned years and when the needed the house the mum's cousin wasn't ready to vacate the premises. In fact they refused bluntly despite entreaties and the guy felt they were ready to go fetsih on him.

He instituted a case against them and they claimed they were occupying the premises as a rent-paying tenant.

The court held that since there was no tenancy agreement or receipt to show they paid rent at any time they were occupying the premises illegally.

The cousin cited some instances he helped the mother with cash but the judge was having none of that since it can't be proven the cash was for rent. Now this is where I want u to focus Having access to the property and having sent cash to the person within the period u occupy the premises does not equate to the fact that u paid rent รณ.

your example is that of a family issues, it does not correlate to the issue on ground, in the sense that indeed money exchange hands before the tenant, so it does not correlate,

a sound property lawyer will take the landlord to the cleaner in this OP case,
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by BlueRayDick: 3:34pm On Mar 08, 2022
do4luv14:

your example is that of a family issues, it does not correlate to the issue on ground, in the sense that indeed money exchange hands before the tenant, so it does not correlate,

Okay. Goodluck to the op and his sound lawyer
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by gasparpisciotta: 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2022
Jaylord12:

Imagine your thought....why will
Nigeria not get worse when she has sons/daughters like you

Nigeria gets worse when you refuse to call a spade a spade!!!!
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by Tzar(m): 4:43pm On Mar 08, 2022
I hope you collected your rent receipt/ rent agreement? If not, you are on your own.
If you collected your receipt, you can ONLY be evicted when next rent payment is due.
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by flokii: 5:09pm On Mar 08, 2022
@OP Tell the landlord you need your full rent plus commission paid back so you can secure another apartment with the money. If they refuse, get a lawyer and proceed to court.

Something is really wrong with that landlady. You want to enter a property that already has an occupant who paid rent, not like his rent is even due or something.
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by HernanCortes: 6:03pm On Mar 08, 2022
Nigerians constantly wanting their asses licked. Ridiculous people
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by ahmedio: 7:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
BlueRayDick:
That is what happens when you rent a house without getting receipt, signing agreement and have everything fully documented.

If the tenant had the above listed boxes checked, then he could've easily called their bluff, demand for at least 6 months quit notice before which they can legally eject him out of the premises.

As it stands let him collect his change and move out of the house..... He can take with him whatever improvement he must have done to the house like wallpaper, kitchen zinc, WC etc.

Even without a receipt they cannot legally evict him like that. I would say he should just chill and let the month end. Then they will come back and ask him to leave. He should insist on getting a proper quit notice. If they bring a notice that is less than 6 months, get a lawyer to reply their letter. They will chill.
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by ahmedio: 7:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
do4luv14:

Even an average lawyer will deal with the landlord. This case is a No-brainer
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by OlujobaSamuel: 7:24pm On Mar 08, 2022
BlueRayDick:

Okay. Goodluck to the op and his sound lawyer
Leave them oo, some are even saying he is to get 6months free, i wonder the law they are quoting.
People don't know that there is nothing like verbal agreement in respect to property, you have to get a receipt and an agreement that states the scope of what you are paying for
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by OlujobaSamuel: 7:28pm On Mar 08, 2022
femijay8271:

Pls boss, I wanna ask u this, what if am having 6months before my rent due and the landlord said na dat 6months am to use and then park out without giving me extra 6months since am paying annually, pls what am I suppose to do in this situation?
If you have 6months left and he gives you the notice which also elapsed at that 6th month date your rent is due, he need not give you any extra 6month, if the 6month is beyond your due date, he is entitled to get the balance, if it's less, you get the refund of the month difference
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by BlueRayDick: 7:31pm On Mar 08, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Leave them oo, some are even saying he is to get 6months free, i wonder the law they are quoting.
People don't know that there is nothing like verbal agreement in respect to property, you have to get a receipt and an agreement that states the scope of what you are paying for

You no see say I no get strength to follow anybody argue? Let the op follow their advice now and let him come give testimony after the imaginary 6 months cool
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by femijay8271(m): 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

If you have 6months left and he gives you the notice which also elapsed at that 6th month date your rent is due, he need not give you any extra 6month, if the 6month is beyond your due date, he is entitled to get the balance, if it's less, you get the refund of the month difference

Alright thanks for info
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by Jhoanner(f): 6:43am On Mar 09, 2022
To eject a tenant whose rent has not expired, you must serve 6 months quit notice in case of a yearly tenancy. 3 months in case of a quarterly tenancy. Note: The expiry date of the notice must not end before the rent expires. It can end on or after the rent expires. Else, it will be invalid. This is what the Tenancy Law states.
I'll advise you to consult a lawyer on this. No landlord /lady has the right to eject a tenant just because he/she feels like. They must follow the law.

However, if they insist they don't want you there. The burden is now on them to refund you every penny, down to any improvements made on the property. Calculate the expenses made on painting, fixtures etc. Document them. They must refund you every penny. If they have to suffer you such inconvenience, they must be ready to compensate you.
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by litaninja(m): 11:58am On Mar 09, 2022
Chief, If you pay annually, the 6 months is your expected notice period. Notice period is supposed to be half of the rent time you paid if i remember correctly.
The notice period doesn't necessarily have to be after your rent term, so If you pay for one year in january, your landlord can notify you in june that he'd like you to move out by end of december. That is a 6-month notice period, which is in line with your agreement, you just need to find a new place.

femijay8271:

Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by femijay8271(m): 4:33pm On Mar 09, 2022
litaninja:
Chief, If you pay annually, the 6 months is your expected notice period. Notice period is supposed to be half of the rent time you paid if i remember correctly.
The notice period doesn't necessarily have to be after your rent term, so If you pay for one year in january, your landlord can notify you in june that he'd like you to move out by end of december. That is a 6-month notice period, which is in line with your agreement, you just need to find a new place.

Thanks boss

Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by litaninja(m): 7:51pm On Mar 09, 2022
Yezzir.
[quote author=femijay8271 post=110889476][/quote]
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by LandOwners: 3:42pm On Mar 12, 2022
gistmega:
Many years ago, I had the same issue with my Landlady. She refunded every damn cent that I gave to her. So, I will advise you to stand your ground. As long as you have that tenancy agreement, stay there! Demand even the cash paid to the agent. If an agent got you the house, the information should come through them. Stop calling A and B.

In most cases, the court will ask you to stay for free until you find an alternative home. When you go to court carry all the (distress- the emotional trauma, the miscellaneous expenses) documents. Start now to gather all your court papers.

Should you agree to move, demand for the cost of transporting your goods to another location etc. A rich Landlord will easily refund your cash and additional costs if they truly need to live there.

To be honest, if you go to court, you will live rent free for a long time. Just get a good lawyer.

Advice like this just makes me laugh so hard.
Just Imagine !!!
Lol
Re: Just Moved In Three Months Ago And Told To Pack Out Now. by gistmega: 4:44pm On Mar 12, 2022
Why do you laugh? You are not the only landowner. I am too. you are not invisible. If I need to use any of my properties, it is the most honorable thing to do. You are a landowner for a reason. Going down the rabbit hole with a tenant can get you messed up big league. This is the reason why many landowners get shot and killed. Taking power into your hands can only work for a few people. My cousin is still living rent-free for years now. Not that he doesn't have the cash but he is teaching the landowner a lesson in life.
Some tenants are property owners too. If you mess with someone like me, for sure, I am dragging you to court. I am not problematic but if I entered a tenancy agreement with you, respect it. Do not assume that you can move me east and west like a spatula cos' I am your tenant. People have businesses and hustles. if one is giving out an address, it is difficult to move.
I have been kicked out before and I got every damn cent. Pray that you do not rent your house to troublemakers. Pray! My uncle had to sell his property and sell the tenant in it.
Don't laugh. This is life. Get attuned to reality. I have seen the head of a landowner hung on his gate. People are going through a lot in life.
LandOwners:

Advice like this just makes me laugh so hard.
Just Imagine !!!
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cost Of Building Event Centre/multi-purpose Halls? / Check Out This Property 1plot Of Land And A Building Inside See Details. / Storey Building On Bajulaye Road Bariga On Fire, Children Trapped(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.