Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (87033 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dogooder: 11:18am On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Hello Everyone.

This is a space to talk about parenting, navigating cultural differences, knowing your rights and other general issues related to being a parent in the UK as a Nigerian Immigrant.

For general immigration information and tips on living in the UK, visit the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2

For questions on studying in the UK, please refer to the student thread: https://www.nairaland.com/6712649/uk-student-visa-tier-4#105017249.

Here’s to raising strong families.
Space booked, i have got a lot to relate later.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Akorkor(f): 11:20am On Mar 09, 2022
ohhh no, this should not reach frontpage biko!
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DARLINGTON869(m): 11:22am On Mar 09, 2022
This is not worthy of frontpage. This post should be chilling at travel section

T O DARLING
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 11:24am On Mar 09, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Mamatukwas
This is appearing on the front page .... grin... o dear

Is that why we are seeing all these strange posts? Oh dear.

@justwise please help us sanitize if you can. Thank you.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Yemiwonder(m): 11:25am On Mar 09, 2022
nice thread
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by justwise(m): 11:26am On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Is that why we are seeing all these strange posts? Oh dear.

@justwise please help us sanitize if you can. Thank you.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 11:28am On Mar 09, 2022
[quote author=justwise post=110881021][/quote]

Thank You!!! Whew.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by martinmiller: 11:40am On Mar 09, 2022
Front page alert, I don't think front page should collect this, where is @justwise ..
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by streetsoldier1(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Hello Everyone.

This is a space to talk about parenting, navigating cultural differences, knowing your rights and other general issues related to being a parent in the UK as a Nigerian Immigrant.

For general immigration information and tips on living in the UK, visit the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2

For questions on studying in the UK, please refer to the student thread: https://www.nairaland.com/6712649/uk-student-visa-tier-4#105017249.

Here’s to raising strong families.

will a 7year old boy in primary 4 class in Nigeria be placed according to how he has been schooling here or he will be returned to lower class based on age?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 11:49am On Mar 09, 2022
streetsoldier1:

will a 7year old boy in primary 4 class in Nigeria be placed according to how he has been schooling here or he will be returned to lower class based on age?

The class outside UK will be irrelevant and not taken into consideration. The child will be placed according to age

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by HRHQueenPhil(f): 11:54am On Mar 09, 2022
Kudos to these women going through all the rigours and starting afresh in a new country
GOD bless u and strengthen u to train ur babies in the way of GOD

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Vicas2000: 11:55am On Mar 09, 2022
HRHQueenPhil:
Kudos to these women going through all the rigours and starting afresh in a new country

Kudos to both men and women starting afresh in a new country. God help us all.

17 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by cdieli(m): 11:56am On Mar 09, 2022
I have been in the UK for 6 months now, my children have started school and its all fun they have been learning new things.
A few advise for those coming with the family:

1) Once you come register with a GP.
2) Report yourself to the council they will advise you on schools nearby.
3) Look for a local white church, here in Scotland I attached the family to salvation army. They come every week to see that all is well, Christianity here is different from Nigeria.
4) Learn not to shout for your children, neighbors reported me and my wife that we are always shouting for the kids and police came to question the family. Always put fear on them that if they tell strangers that dad and mum beat them they will take them away cheesy

Its been an experience

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by HRHQueenPhil(f): 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
Vicas2000:

I agree
Kudos to both men and women starting afresh in a new country. God help us all.

grin I agree
But if u see d comments ,it's mostly women asking the question and profering solutions
Also it's women day na
Ur own will come kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Endlessgrace: 12:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
cdieli:
I have been in the UK for 6 months now, my children have started school and its all fun they have been learning new things.

3) Look for a local white church, here in Scotland I attached the family to salvation army. They come every week to see that all is well, Christianity here is different from Nigeria.
4) Learn not to shout for your children, neighbors reported me and my wife that we are always shouting for the kids and police came to question the family. Always put fear on them that if they tell strangers that dad and mum beat them they will take them away cheesy

Its been an experience

Instead of putting fear in them to not talk about being beaten, why not try cultivate the habit of not beating them. I know it’s not easy but trust me you can raise a child without the rod.

8 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 12:02pm On Mar 09, 2022
cdieli:

Its been an experience

What kind of oversabi Neighbour is that? Were you guys in a flat?

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Alexgeneration(m): 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2022
HRHQueenPhil:
You're here to derail this thread with your bitterness masked like goodwill.

Nobody has mentioned any gender bias until you came with your knuckle head. Take your misery outside.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by TheGuyFromHR: 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2022
Akorkor:
Thank you all for this thread. Mother of 2 kids under 6 here. We have registered with a GP but council is yet to verify me. How do I go about this? When can I register them for school? Thinking of bringing the little one back in September. Also what is the fate of a child with speech delay? Is there free therapy or is the therapy expensive?

Also for Council verification, I registered into an application called Yoti as I saw that it aids quick verification process but my Nigeria address is being rejected. Don’t know what to do.

I stay in Scotland and I just moved in a month ago. Still trying to find my feet. Thank you mothers and Happy international Women’s Day

I can speak to what the situation was with a relation's child in England.
The child had speech delay and he (for some reason it mainly seems to be male children?) was assessed by a HV and referred for speech therapy.

There was (and that seems to also be somewhat common) a very long waiting list for the council service and at some point my cousin made queries and was told that she could explore the private option if she wished. Prices were very high, but she paid for an assessment and got a twice-weekly hourly slot for which I think she was paying in the region of 150 or so (I'm not very sure). They were able to cover the costs (her husband is a doctor) and this was a while ago when exchange rates were still manageable.

I don't know if the council later reimbursed her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 12:04pm On Mar 09, 2022
Endlessgrace:

Instead of putting fear in them to not talk about being beaten, why not try cultivate the habit of not beating them. I know it’s not easy but trust me you can raise a child without the rod.

I agree. It’s not easy but it can be done. I’m practicing not shouting unless absolutely necessary. The most I do now is pull their ears and they hate it. No more beating oh.

If you shout at my son now, he will say you’re scaring him grin Na wa!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mumzt: 12:08pm On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I agree. It’s not easy but it can be done. I’m practicing not shouting unless absolutely necessary. The most I do now is pull their ears and they hate it. No more beating oh.

If you shout at my son now, he will say you’re scaring him grin Na wa!

Yes, we all need to unlearn and relearn this shouting issue.

My 2 year old is quick to say "mummy you shout on me" even when it's ot "shouting" he would rather you spoke to him in a calm way. And surprisingly, it works.

The noise in naija sef won't allow us talk normal. �

16 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by cdieli(m): 12:10pm On Mar 09, 2022
We live in a three bed flat ohhhh. After the police finished questioning the kids, If Daddy and Mummy beat them. The police apologized that the mail they received is very malicious, that the children they are seeing are well behaved and taken care off
Mamatukwas:

What kind of oversabi Neighbour is that? Were you guys in a flat?

6 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by cdieli(m): 12:13pm On Mar 09, 2022
You are right my 3 year old boy will say "daddy and mummy stop shouting" . I am proud of the education they are getting , they will say Daddy this is not how this and this is pronounced and your sentence is wrong wink
mumzt:

My 2 year old is quick to say "mummy you shout on me" even when it's ot "shouting" he would rather you spoke to him in a calm way. And surprisingly, it works.

The noise in naija sef won't allow us talk normal. �

9 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2022
cdieli:
We live in a three bed flat ohhhh. After the police finished questioning the kids, If Daddy and Mummy beat them. The police apologized that the mail they received is very malicious, that the children they are seeing are well behaved and taken care off

Personally, if you can afford it. Avoid flats if you have small kids. Neighbours can be nosy + kids can be very noisy. So if you get bad neighbors it will be a constant tug of war. Thank God you guys escaped without issue.

There’s a current case now trending in Sheffield where social workers have taken away a couples 2 kids and there’s the threat that her unborn child will be taken too! Have you guys heard about it? The story is too long but so sad.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by cdieli(m): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2022
I thank God we escaped without issues. No, I have not heard anything about Sheffied. Kindly, share
Mamatukwas:

Personally, if you can afford it. Avoid flats if you have small kids. Neighbours can be nosy + kids can be very noisy. So if you get bad neighbors it will be a constant tug of war. Thank God you guys escaped without issue.

There’s a current case now trending in Sheffield where social workers have taken away a couples 2 kids and there’s the threat that her unborn child will be taken too! Have you guys heard about it? The story is too long but so sad.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 12:27pm On Mar 09, 2022
mumzt:

The noise in naija sef won't allow us talk normal.

Nigeria is chaotic. When I first moved here, I kept wondering why everyone was whispering. Their tone is so soft and low. We can just be unnecessarily loud sha grin

9 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Akorkor(f): 12:27pm On Mar 09, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

The child had speech delay and he (for some reason it mainly seems to be male children?) was assessed by a HV and referred for speech therapy.

There was (and that seems to also be somewhat common) a very long waiting list for the council service and at some point my cousin made queries and was told that she could explore the private option if she wished. Prices were very high, but she paid for an assessment and got a twice-weekly hourly slot for which I think she was paying in the region of 150 or so (I'm not very sure). They were able to cover the costs (her husband is a doctor) and this was a while ago when exchange rates were still manageable.

Thank you. I will work towards making enquiry and choose the best. Presently , the child is undergoing a good one in Nigeria and I want to see changes till end of year before bringing her here. Presently paying 200k for 9 times a month for 2 hrs in Nigeria. It is well
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Akorkor(f): 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:

It is well. I am presently in a flat because I feel is the fastest and cheapest to get as a new comer. Please when can one start looking to buy a house after arriving. Tier2 visa. 1month, 3months or ....
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by samieea28(f): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2022
I'm grateful for this thread as I am planning to relocate with the family soon.

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2022
Thank God my kids will grow in Nigeria. I'll beat them silly if they misbehave.
Imagine, mummy stop shouting. Like, are you mad? How dare you talk to your mother like that?
Na slap I go whooze you.

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Endlessgrace: 12:34pm On Mar 09, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Speaking from personal experience, most times speech delay is an underlying indicator to ASD or other social communication disorders. The earlier one gets a diagnosis, the better and quicker things fall in place.
I’ll advise the parent to get the child into school or nursery asap so that necessary referral could be made and the child could be put on waiting list for therapy, although its a very long waiting but you’ll get necessary support while on the waiting list. Going private is not cheap and I remember being quoted £1600 just for assessment.
Note that your GP can also do the referral but it’s quicker when it’s from an educational setting.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 09, 2022
Discipline the kids well.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video) / Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.