Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,106 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (87103 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Susom(f): 8:45am On Mar 17, 2022
I stated that he was not joining us as he was working and resident in Nigeria, that was the only reason I stated for him not joining us anyway. He wrote a letter saying that as well.

Well, it’s possible there are rejections also but my point is , it’s not impossible as I was approved to come in without my husband
Also, I didn’t come on a student Visa, I don’t know if the approval would have been different.

I know it can make the application process difficult but it’s not impossible that’s why I shared my own experience. However, I wish we applied with hun because he has now been travelling with Visit Visa ( some Point of entry officers can make this difficult with questions about his job or why he is always coming into the Uk) and also if your partner applies with you, making switches to depend on each other interms of visa types can be easier.

Having said that please apply with your partner @poster even if he wouldn’t be resident here but for easy entry.

For my renewal I will add my husband as I now have another baby.

LagosismyHome:

The embassy has rejected several based on how you stated it here.... it is not that easy at all of the other parent is not coming or single parent

Maybe you state what exactly was this in bold to tell the full story , because how you written it doesn't fly It has to be better exception reason ..... even their guidance document shows what fatima04 has said. It not that easy at all.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 11:08am On Mar 17, 2022
Susom:
I stated that he was not joining us as he was working and resident in Nigeria, that was the only reason I stated for him not joining us anyway. He wrote a letter saying that as well.

Well, it’s possible there are rejections also but my point is , it’s not impossible as I was approved to come in without my husband
Also, I didn’t come on a student Visa, I don’t know if the approval would have been different.

I know it can make the application process difficult but it’s not impossible that’s why I shared my own experience. However, I wish we applied with hun because he has now been travelling with Visit Visa ( some Point of entry officers can make this difficult with questions about his job or why he is always coming into the Uk) and also if your partner applies with you, making switches to depend on each other interms of visa types can be easier.

Having said that please apply with your partner @poster even if he wouldn’t be resident here but for easy entry.

That’s probably the reason they gave a long stay visa without your spouse!

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 11:10am On Mar 17, 2022
Susom:

The bold helped
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2022
I watched the film blue story yesterday! It really resonated with me because I have teenage sons. Thankfully we don’t live in the ghettoish part of the Uk. However I’m keen to learn tips to avoid them being influenced by peers to learn bad behaviour etc. for now i just threaten them lol . Any body with tips?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 1:41pm On Mar 17, 2022
babythug:
I watched the film blue story yesterday! It really resonated with me because I have teenage sons. Thankfully we don’t live in the ghettoish part of the Uk. However I’m keen to learn tips to avoid them being influenced by peers to learn bad behaviour etc. for now i just threaten them lol . Any body with tips?

Haven’t seen the movie but I’m keen to hear what those with older kids are doing as well.

For now what we’ve done is stay away from places with any bad influence. Our home environment is sane, their school is very sane and we instill our home values as much as possible.

My kids are all below 10 though. I hear as they grow older it’s a different ball game.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Akorkor(f): 3:46pm On Mar 17, 2022
babythug:
I watched the film [b]blue story [/b]yesterday! It really resonated with me because I have teenage sons. Thankfully we don’t live in the ghettoish part of the Uk. However I’m keen to learn tips to avoid them being influenced by peers to learn bad behaviour etc. for now i just threaten them lol . Any body with tips?

Is this a new movie? Where can I watch? On Netflix?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 4:14pm On Mar 17, 2022
Akorkor:

Is this a new movie? Where can I watch? On Netflix?
Netflix.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Emmyk(m): 4:17pm On Mar 17, 2022
Let me register a space here for the future. cheesy
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Akorkor(f): 5:15pm On Mar 17, 2022
babythug:

Netflix.

Thanks
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by AgentXxx(m): 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2022
I can’t find blue story on Netflix oo, can you pls make a screenshot?
babythug:

Netflix.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Gloriouscrown: 8:38pm On Mar 17, 2022
Hello Mamas, please can you recommend thick tights for my 4+ daug. Her teacher said she struggles to pull up the tights I wear for her. She usually wears 2 because I want her to be warm enough, so after pulling up the first one she leaves the second at her ankle. I need suggestions for thick tights that would give her sufficient warmth without me having to double it. Thanks.
Cc mamatukwas, mimylyrics, LagosismyHome et Al.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 9:40pm On Mar 17, 2022
Gloriouscrown:
Hello Mamas, please can you recommend thick tights for my 4+ daug. Her teacher said she struggles to pull up the tights I wear for her. She usually wears 2 because I want her to be warm enough, so after pulling up the first one she leaves the second at her ankle. I need suggestions for thick tights that would give her sufficient warmth without me having to double it. Thanks.

Children are resilient , I think she should wear one tight before you know it her body will adjust to the cold. Even now I go out without a jacket yet when I first came I used to shake like jelly fish and my house was like a hot cooker.

Use one ... those super soft tight in sanisbury or any shop should be enough. Are u in England or Scotland?

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 10:12pm On Mar 17, 2022
Gloriouscrown:

Yup use one. Mark’s & Spencer do good quality and have thermal ones. Check them out.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 10:41pm On Mar 17, 2022
babythug:

I went to go watch it .... in London the whole day you keep seeing children roaming the place up and down . I think if from small you can instil the no going out unnecessary. From 5pm self they should be indoor . Even in the film just see all that was happening in the night ... that film is exactly what happens in high area of council estate in London with their post code gang nonsense... Peckman was very bad but government has used style and clean up that area. So neighborhood matters because even if you trying your best , in some area their classmate will be influencing

A colleague who grew up here in North London , He said his yoruba mother held him with strong hand and no going out in the evening . He said he was like the only one, that his other classmate were laughing at him but he had no choice. Go to school and go and stay home....Today most of them ended up in crime. He was forced to relate with Jewish classmate. He said the Jewish don't play, they hold with strong hand and no unnecessary aimless waka night or day

My pickin at 7 will be talking of sleep over this and that. I just give her side eye like you don't know your mama...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by MzzDamirez: 12:08am On Mar 18, 2022
Sweetyie:

Sis, you can join the telegram group i created for Sept Intakes

https:///+XiWZiTKQGo1lNjRk or search telegram with RGU Nigeria September 2022 Intakes

Hello
Can’t find any telegram page connected to this. Kindly assist as I’ve also been given admission

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 5:07am On Mar 18, 2022
babythug:

I don't have teenagers yet but used to teach them. Basically start as you mean to continue. Have another trusted adult that they can relate with, that can guide them, someone they can look up to as well.

I very carefully vet my own friends and the friends of my kids. I am particular about where we live. I am a people person and my husband says I collect people like Brits collect stray animals grin so I'd rather rent in a nice area with good schools, mainly working class families than buy in just an okayish area because I aim to interact and hang out with my neighbours and parents from the local school. I also show my no nonsense attitude from day 1. If parent requests a play date, I tell them that if their kids come visiting, they will do chores if my kids are doing chores or I send them home, if my kids are studying, then they must all join. I'll tell them off too if they misbehave. Obviously, it weeds out the permissive parents and their children immediately. I also don't let them call me or the husbot by name. We be mates? grin

I remember meeting a guy from Guinea Bissau in Bath. I was with a friend so we were 2 black ladies in a very obviously white space. We stopped, greeted and got talking. He was there with his son who is a similar age to mine. He was so disparaging of people and uncouth in the way he was speaking of people (as usual talk quickly went to immigration wahala and home issues). He was also very disparaging of women - specifically white women but I bet he would be the same about black women as well. When we were leaving, he asked for our numbers. I said I didn't have mine in my head and didn't have my phone. My friend was surprised but she gave him her number.
I was honest with her and told her that from the way he was speaking, he is definitely not the kind of male influence I want around my children especially my son as my husband is also not black. I am not aiming to raise a hood black child abeg. She said ah, but our people are like that na. My response was those are not my kind of our people. I no fit shout abeg

22 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Gloriouscrown: 8:02am On Mar 18, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Children are resilient , I think she should wear one tight before you know it her body will adjust to the cold. Even now I go out without a jacket yet when I first came I used to shake like jelly fish and my house was like a hot cooker.

Use one ... those super soft tight in sanisbury or any shop should be enough. Are u in England or Scotland?

Thank you Mama, I'm in England. Kent precisely.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Gloriouscrown: 8:03am On Mar 18, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Yup use one. Mark’s & Spencer do good quality and have thermal ones. Check them out.

Ok I will look for it. Thank you Mama.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mimilyrics: 10:53am On Mar 18, 2022
You can also check Primark - they have some durable ones which is especially good for all those their rough plays.
If I remember correctly, it costs about £4 for a pack.
Gloriouscrown:
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Welcomme: 11:30am On Mar 18, 2022
Igbamatigbi:

I am a social work student, we did a course on child law and we were taught that children from age 12 can be left briefly with the younger siblings, I don't know how long the time is I think for few hours, you can check young carer under the children act 1989 ( that's the act social workers currently use)

We were told that you can enroll the young child under the younger carer program. Do your research, I think your 13 year old is legible and can take care if the younger ones, I didn't ask where but I know it's the local authority that will help you sign up for the younger carer program.
Good day.. Pls I will love to contact you regarding my choice of course.. Thanks.. Here is my email: adewalep4@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Gloriouscrown: 12:01pm On Mar 18, 2022
mimilyrics:
You can also check Primark - they have some durable ones which is especially good for all those their rough plays.
If I remember correctly, it costs about £4 for a pack.

Thank you Mimilyrics.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Xanderlex: 9:03am On Mar 19, 2022
Ticha:

I don't speak my language at home because my husband is not Nigerian and of course does not understand the language. However, they all understand certain words and whenever I switch, my children sit up and take notice cos e mean say I don vex grin!
Thank you so much for this. I learnt a lot from this write up. We are expecting our first child. Going to screenshot and share with Wifey. grin

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2022
The weather is finally becoming nicer and we pray it lasts. If you have young/younger kids please be summer safe.

Do Not Leave Windows Open if you live in a flat or duplex with small kids. They can fall out and seriously hurt themselves. it happens quite frequently in this UK abs typically is in the twinkling of an eye.

If you go to the park, keep an eye on your kids. If they get lost or hurt, outside your own pain social services could get involved.

Have a goal each spring/summer. It could be a skill like learning how to ride a bike, swimming or football. Sha don’t leave them at home to be watching tv all through the Easter Holidays unless you have no choice.

Stay safe and happy.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 6:25pm On Mar 19, 2022
Mamatukwas:
The weather is finally becoming nicer and we pray it lasts. If you have young/younger kids please be summer safe.

Do Not Leave Windows Open if you live in a flat or duplex with small kids. They can fall out and seriously hurt themselves. it happens quite frequently in this UK abs typically is in the twinkling of an eye.

If you go to the park, keep an eye on your kids. If they get lost or hurt, outside your own pain social services could get involved.

Have a goal each spring/summer. It could be a skill like learning how to ride a bike, swimming or football. Sha don’t leave them at home to be watching tv all through the Easter Holidays unless you have no choice.

Stay safe and happy.

Story for another day.... 2 summers ago, my son who was 5 then use his open eyes and jumped out of the window, upper floor of semi detached. ..... he wanted to be like catboy from PJ mask. You can imagine my shock.

Thankfully no broken bones no bad news shared. Since then I locked the windows and threw away the keys. Although there was option to put something to make the windows not open fully but that would be when I fully recover from how someone opens his two eyes and jump from the window with no fear . That same week there was a story of a child who fell from similar height , landed on head and didn't make it . Mine landed with feet God was faithful is all I can say

13 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 6:47pm On Mar 19, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Sorry for another day.... 2 summers ago, my son who was 5 then use his open eyes and jumped out of the window, upper floor of semi detached. ..... he wanted to be like catboy from PJ mask. You can imagine my shock.

Thankfully no broken bones no bad news shared. Since then I locked the windows and threw away the keys. Although there was option to put something to make the windows not open fully but that would be when I fully recover from how someone opens his two eyes and jump from the window with no fear . That same week there was a story of a child who fell from similar height , landed on head and didn't make it . Mine landed with feet God was faithful is all I can say

Geez! That’s terrible and Thank God for your Son oh.

My Son when he was 4 too climbed on the ledge of our duplex window to admire the ‘view’. He was tilting forward and out when I rushed in and grabbed him then promptly burst into tears cry

I was in shock as to how close he came to toppling down. Kids won’t give someone hbp.

8 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by femilambor007(m): 7:20pm On Mar 19, 2022
Money for 2bedroom ��

LagosismyHome:

Sure 1 year 5 month is not too young

There are private nurseries everywhere, a lot open 8am to 6pm (about that range). You can even drop a one month old. ...you just register and see if there space. If yes then pay and drop but be ready to pay £800 and above for full time... my side its £1k, so Depending on your city.... any hours you need outside those hours then it's husband and wife working as a team. There also childminder if you prefer that to nursery. You would need to find one close to you.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 7:26pm On Mar 19, 2022
femilambor007:
Money for 2bedroom ��

I think the whole UK don complain tire on the cost of childcare hence they later introduced 30 hours .... so na so we see am. Imagine those who have twins or triplet.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by deept(m): 7:29pm On Mar 19, 2022
femilambor007:
Money for 2bedroom ��

Hahahaha
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by femilambor007(m): 9:10am On Mar 20, 2022
The sustaining figures I'm seeing is scary.

If not for unstable economy of Nigeria �� those figures are enough to start an investment in Lasgidi.

The plus & minus of going for Msc with Child & wifey is going to about 6M.

Not even the full payment.

LagosismyHome:

I think the whole UK don complain tire on the cost of childcare hence they later introduced 30 hours .... so na so we see am. Imagine those who have twins or triplet.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Stay safe and happy.

You didn’t add learn local lingua to this list grin

I’m really hopeful for all that can be achieved during the holidays

I’m a bit concerned at the snail pace with which my younger son is being taught . I know “they know everything” but a six year old still being taught 1-20 is worrying. And his teacher says some are still on 1-10 . I just hope the academic intervention I’m planning would help oh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by veleta: 11:21pm On Mar 20, 2022
babythug:

You didn’t add learn local lingua to this list grin

I’m really hopeful for all that can be achieved during the holidays

I’m a bit concerned at the snail pace with which my younger son is being taught . I know “they know everything” but a six year old still being taught 1-20 is worrying. And his teacher says some are still on 1-10 . I just hope the academic intervention I’m planning would help oh

Hi, is it number bond or just 1-20? I noticed that atimes some state schools are a bit laid back and some teachers, when you ask about general progress of your child, they usually give generic response that the child is where he should be. Try to listen to your gut feeling, go through the curriculum for that term and assess your child on that. Teaching here is individualised.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Reply)

Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video) / Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.