Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? (4269 Views)

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. / Why Will God Sacrifice His Only Son When He Can Simply Do This?? / Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17pm On Mar 14, 2022
Did Jephthah actually sacrifice his daughter to the Lord? If God hates human/child sacrifice, why would He then allow Jephthah to sacrifice his only daughter?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by April4th(m): 11:57pm On Mar 14, 2022
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by peggywebbs(f): 1:01pm On Mar 15, 2022
Did you really read the scriptures?

The story of Jephthah is a typical example of how God does not support murder or human sacrifice. The man promised to kill the first person that comes to him after winning the war. It so happened it was his daughter. Immediately he regretted it.

It was a very big lesson never to take someone's life for the sport of it. He would have happily killed a random innocent person, God taught him and every one who reads that story a big lesson.

OLAADEGBU:
Did Jephthah actually sacrifice his daughter to the Lord? If God hates human/child sacrifice, why would He then allow Jephthah to sacrifice his only daughter?

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
peggywebbs:

Did you really read the scriptures?

The story of Jephthah is a typical example of how God does not support murder or human sacrifice. The man promised to kill the first person that comes to him after winning the war. It so happened it was his daughter. Immediately he regretted it.

It was a very big lesson never to take someone's life for the sport of it. He would have happily killed a random innocent person, God taught him and every one who reads that story a big lesson.

Are you saying Jephthah murdered his daughter to fulfil his vow? If your answer is yes how then does that prove that God did not support this kind of sacrifice? Is the law not against child/human sacrifice? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by peggywebbs(f): 3:01pm On Mar 15, 2022
What law? Are you confusing the time of Jephthah with the 21st century?

I'll use this simple analogy for you. Remember one pastor who asked his members to bury him alive that he was going to resurrect the third day like Jesus?

And the man who jumped into a lion's cage in a zoo, saying he would be saved like Daniel? Well a lot of people do stupid stuff and think their doing it for God.

God never asked us to kill any human being for him. In fact it is stated clearly in the 10 commandments, if you're talking about law, "though shall not kill". How then do you kill a human being for God?

He cursed Cain for killing Abel, and if you're trying to use Abraham as an example, that was a test, and he didn't let him do it.
Jephthah thought he was paying God for the reward of winning a war, but he had no right to pay with any human being.

If he wasn't foolish, he would have spared his daughter but because he thought he owed God some kind of debt, he was stubborn. P.S he died not too long after and he never had a kid. That guy died sad.

OLAADEGBU:

Are you saying Jephthah murdered his daughter to fulfil his vow? If your answer is yes how then does that prove that God did not support this kind of sacrifice? Is the law not against child/human sacrifice? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01pm On Mar 15, 2022
April4th:

https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/jephthahs-daughter-midrash-and-aggadah

Read that and you might get some insights.

I want to know what you think or believe and reasons why you arrive at such conclusions not what some societies or organisations are making you believe by rote. cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
peggywebbs:

What law? Are you confusing the time of Jephthah with the 21st century?

I'll use this simple analogy for you. Remember one pastor who asked his members to bury him alive that he was going to resurrect the third day like Jesus?

And the man who jumped into a lion's cage in a zoo, saying he would be saved like Daniel? Well a lot of people do stupid stuff and think their doing it for God.

God never asked us to kill any human being for him. In fact it is stated clearly in the 10 commandments, if you're talking about law, "though shall not kill". How then do you kill a human being for God?

He cursed Cain for killing Abel, and if you're trying to use Abraham as an example, that was a test, and he didn't let him do it.
Jephthah thought he was paying God for the reward of winning a war, but he had no right to pay with any human being.

If he wasn't foolish, he would have spared his daughter but because he thought he owed God some kind of debt, he was stubborn. P.S he died not too long after and he never had a kid. That guy died sad.

Why was Jephthah included in the hall of faith in the book of Hebrews? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by peggywebbs(f): 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2022
Sure he had faith, there's no doubt about it. If you read Judges 11, you'd see how he was very confident about God giving the Isrealites the lands they had. He also mentioned that they had remained undefeated.

His faith was unquestionable but his sacrifice was unnecessary. God did not grant him victory based on his prepostrous sacrifice.

OLAADEGBU:

Why was Jephthah included in the hall of faith in the book of Hebrews? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:33pm On Mar 15, 2022
peggywebbs:

Sure he had faith, there's no doubt about it. If you read Judges 11, you'd see how he was very confident about God giving the Isrealites the lands they had. He also mentioned that they had remained undefeated.

His faith was unquestionable but his sacrifice was unnecessary. God did not grant him victory based on his prepostrous sacrifice.

So you are saying that Jephthah is the only hero of faith who performed human sacrifice? If this was the case why then did the daughters of Israel bewail her virginity instead of her death on a yearly basis? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by peggywebbs(f): 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2022
I didn't call him a hero, anyone can have faith. Hebrew was just talking about the power of faith, it didn't go deep into their stories. And as for why they were mourning her virginity, is something I clearly cannot understand in 2022.

It must have meant something to them in the Jewish tradition. Probably because she would never have the opportunity to be a bride or raise her child. But I think I've answered this question well in my opinion Pastor

OLAADEGBU:

So you are saying that Jephthah is the only hero of faith who performed human sacrifice? If this was the case why then did the daughters of Israel bewail her virginity instead of her death on a yearly basis? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2022
Following! wink
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:38pm On Mar 15, 2022
peggywebbs:

I didn't call him a hero, anyone can have faith. Hebrew was just talking about the power of faith, it didn't go deep into their stories. And as for why they were mourning her virginity, is something I clearly cannot understand in 2022.

You may not call him a hero but the Bible does and it's not everyone who exercised faith was included in the halls of faith in the book of Hebrews. Jephthah is well known to be an example of fulfilling one's vow.

peggywebbs:

It must have meant something to them in the Jewish tradition. Probably because she would never have the opportunity to be a bride or raise her child. But I think I've answered this question well in my opinion Pastor

The fact that they mourned her virginity and not her death should tell you that it's not about her death.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:20pm On Mar 15, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Following! wink

What have you got to say or are you just here to observe? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:14am On Mar 16, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

What have you got to say or are you just here to observe? undecided

Will you like to know Watchtower's interpretation of the story?
I have nothing to say other than what those sent by Jesus Christ to teach me says! Matthew 24:45 wink

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:47pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Will you like to know Watchtower's interpretation of the story?
I have nothing to say other than what those sent by Jesus Christ to teach me says! Matthew 24:45 wink

What is your own reading of the story, don't you study the Bible independently? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by NNTR: 7:54pm On Mar 16, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
There is a substantial biblical precedent that God would not allow anyone to carry out an actual human being sacrifice, whether in the form of killing or as a burning offerring

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2022
NNTR:

There is a substantial biblical precedent that God would not allow anyone to carry out an actual human being sacrifice, whether in the form of killing or as a burning offerring

God had to personally intervene when Abraham was about to sacrifice his son. How then would theologians believe that God would permit Jephthah's daughter to be burnt as a sacrifice?

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

What is your own reading of the story, don't you study the Bible independently? undecided
NO! I rely solely on Watchtower's interpretation! smiley
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:49pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

NO! I rely solely on Watchtower's interpretation! smiley

How about the Holy Spirit's interpretation, using scripture to interpret scriptures? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by NNTR: 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
God had to personally intervene when Abraham was about to sacrifice his son. How then would theologians believe that God would permit Jephthah's daughter to be burnt as a sacrifice?
Two with God is a majority
You, I and God knows that Jephthah's daughter was not burnt as a dead sacrifice, but was given to be a living sacrifice dedicated to God's work

Jephthah could have done Leviticus 27:2-6, but opted for the chosen living sacrifice for his daughter

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:40pm On Mar 16, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

How about the Holy Spirit's interpretation, using scripture to interpret scriptures? undecided
Holy Spirit teaches to the Watchtower {John 14:26} so they will teach me! Matthew 28:20
But since you people learn directly from the Holy Spirit and you won't like to learn from the Watchtower i can only observe what your Holy Spirit is teaching you guys! smiley

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by LordReed(m): 8:01am On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Was she the first virgin or the only virgin? Why would they commemorate her virginity?

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by LordReed(m): 8:02am On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Because there is no record of an intervention.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Image123(m): 1:04pm On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Jephthah sacrificed his daughter by giving her up to God's service. It's like we present ourselves as sacrifice to God but more separate. It doesn't say anything about death or killing her. That's just the average reader's insinuations and misinterpretation. An unacceptable sacrifice cannot be done by an hero of faith. And like you said brother, her friends bewailed her virginity not her death. You'll of course see sinners here with 0.0001% understanding of the Bible showing muscle that she was killed like they have the video on their WhatsApp. Comedians.

3 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:29pm On Mar 17, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Holy Spirit teaches to the Watchtower {John 14:26} so they will teach me! Matthew 28:20
But since you people learn directly from the Holy Spirit and you won't like to learn from the Watchtower i can only observe what your Holy Spirit is teaching you guys! smiley

When the Watchtower gets it wrong like they usually do, what will you do? Can the Watchtower give you eternal life? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:36pm On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

When the Watchtower gets it wrong like they usually do, what will you do? Can the Watchtower give you eternal life? undecided
They never got anything wrong like Kumuyi do! wink
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:36pm On Mar 17, 2022
LordReed:

Was she the first virgin or the only virgin? Why would they commemorate her virginity?

It's not about whether she was the first virgin or not, it's about her remaining a virgin till death thus ending the line of Jephthah who possibly did not give birth to other children because she dedicated her service to the Lord.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:37pm On Mar 17, 2022
LordReed:

Because there is no record of an intervention.

Says who? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:39pm On Mar 17, 2022
Image123:

Jephthah sacrificed his daughter by giving her up to God's service. It's like we present ourselves as sacrifice to God but more separate. It doesn't say anything about death or killing her. That's just the average reader's insinuations and misinterpretation. An unacceptable sacrifice cannot be done by an hero of faith. And like you said brother, her friends bewailed her virginity not her death. You'll of course see sinners here with 0.0001% understanding of the Bible showing muscle that she was killed like they have the video on their WhatsApp. Comedians.

Spot on my brother from another mother! Can it be safe to say that she was presented as a living sacrifice unto God?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Image123(m): 3:41pm On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Spot on my brother from another mother! Can it be safe to say that she was presented as a living sacrifice unto God?

Very safe bro. She and the family had to abandon their plans for her life and consecrate her to serve God forever.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Mar 17, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
God gave explicit commandments detailing the kind of offerings and sacrifices that are acceptable by Him. A man instead decided to offer to God that which God never asked for to begin with. How do you go about providing God supported this man's choice without making God out to be a celestial liar and a joke of a God? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by NNTR: 5:28pm On Mar 17, 2022
NNTR:
Two with God is a majority
You, I and God knows that Jephthah's daughter was not burnt as a dead sacrifice, but was given to be a living sacrifice dedicated to God's work

Jephthah could have done Leviticus 27:2-6, but opted for the chosen living sacrifice for his daughter

Image123:
Romans 12:1
'I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God,
to present your bodies as a living sacrifice,
holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
'

Pardon the complement and liberty
Yes, indeed Jephthah sacrificed his daughter by giving her up to God's service. It's just like we present ourselves as living sacrifice to God but more separate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CONSEQUENCES of the ONCE Saved/always Saved" Heresy or OSAS / How Many Times Do You Read Your Bible Apart From Sundays? / The Spiritual Controls The Physical (16)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.