Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,700 members, 7,813,295 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. (18034 Views)

My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short / Rejected For A Job Because I Was Too Short. / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by 2buffagain(m): 3:32pm On Mar 23, 2022
BigDawsNet:

We can't save ourselves if we continue to fold our hands while the government self-service on the future of Nigerian citizens

Get your PVC, and don't vote APCPDP in 2023.
Vote for Sowore's party.
That is your first step.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by BigDawsNet: 3:35pm On Mar 23, 2022
2buffagain:

Get your PVC, and don't vote APCPDP in 2023.
Vote for Sowore's party.
That is your first step.

Too late for that..

I will vote someday when I return back to the country

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by BigDawsNet: 3:36pm On Mar 23, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

True. If not for remote jobs, the whole country would have been up in flames from the hardship bestowed on the citizenry by the ineffective government

Agreed..
I think we need common sense not prayer

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by DoctorOlasDesk: 3:38pm On Mar 23, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Agreed..
I think we need common sense not prayer

Immediately Buhari won the election 2015, I upped my game cause i knew 1985 disaster was coming. I thank him for giving me the motivation I needed. I owe my present state to the motivation he learnt me. Na him be my mentor cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by planetx: 3:40pm On Mar 23, 2022
pocohantas:

So many are not computer programming related. I got a client that needed me only for email communication. All I did was respond to emails of aggrieved customers @ $8/hr for 40hrs/week. On the very first day of work, they were so condescending and insulting, I wondered if it was because I am a Nigerian abi that is their nature. I almost developed hypertension in those few hours, so I told them to end the contract and they did the next second.
Who is they? The client or the customers.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by BigDawsNet: 3:42pm On Mar 23, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Immediately Buhari won the election 2015, I upped my game cause i knew 1985 disaster was coming. I thank him for giving me the motivation I needed

I blame people from the 80s 70s who are unable to educate us we'll about our president very well

They could have told us what we should be expecting...

Imagine buhari get to spent more 50years...and he wants to contest again in the next 30years...

I'm pretty sure we that experience his government in 2015-2023... We will definitely stop our children from voting for him
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by pocohantas(f): 3:43pm On Mar 23, 2022
planetx:
Who is they? The client or the customers.

Client.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by DoctorOlasDesk: 3:47pm On Mar 23, 2022
BigDawsNet:

I blame people from the 80s 70s who are unable to educate us we'll about our president very well

They could have told us what we should be expecting...

Imagine buhari get to spent more 50years...and he wants to contest again in the next 30years...

I'm pretty sure we that experience his government in 2015-2023... We will definitely stop our children from voting for him

Sorry. That's why people should always ask questions. Some of us spoke both through traditional media, online and streetwise. I was almost killed atleast three times becomes the support he had was much and I was practically visiting one city to the other to educate them abut his personality and approach to dealing with issues

Its not the elderly generation. The younger generation is defiant and doesn't listen.

Buhari contested alongside Chuba Okadigbo less than 25 years ago. Despite Okadigbo's igbo's heritage, the partnership was grossly refused. These were the things we saw. Buhari hates prosperity and doesn't believe in rich " middle class ". He's fundamentally a zealot that believes in a very lean poor and middle class to serve the upper-echeleon in a neo-Islamist financial control system where the top oligarchs determines what happens to all.

He couldn't achieve their totalitarian's system because times have changed. Otherwise this dude has bastardized the economy. In fact, i see heavy protests occurring soon emanating from the hardship and continued inflation.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Emma4real333(m): 3:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
pocohantas:

So many are not computer programming related. I got a client that needed me only for email communication. All I did was respond to emails of aggrieved customers @ $8/hr for 40hrs/week. On the very first day of work, they were so condescending and insulting, I wondered if it was because I am a Nigerian abi that is their nature. I almost developed hypertension in those few hours, so I told them to end the contract and they did the next second.

Please link me up with this job or something similar. I'm jobless and homeless, Really ready to work and earn
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Powersurge: 3:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
Agbebakun22:
A friend of mine lost an opportunity to work for jp morgan as copywriter. According to email he received he's fit for the position but can't be considered due to his nationality. #lala pls push to front page for wider audience. Pls share your experience.
They avoid Nigerians like a plague.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by hostkobo(m): 3:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
A couple of years back, I did a remote job via a freelance website for a client in the US. It was for a Joomla website. From beginning to end, all communication /update was via mail. I got the job done, prepared video tutorials, pdf tutorials, etc. Job was like for 3-4 months. The end-user, a she, was so happy, she wrote a long mail to me, expressing her gratitude for my professionalism, clarity etc. She said she would like working with me, etc. She made payments via Paypal, and then requested a video call to see my face at the end of the job.

During the video call, she asked my nationality, and that is where wahala started. She mentioned that if she knew I was Nigerian, she would have not given me the job.

She actually didn't believe I was Nigerian. She asked over and over again if I have another nationality, etc; that "why have you been so nice and polite? I never knew I was exchanging emails with a Nigerian; why are you so well mannered? are you sure you are Nigerian? Are your parents Nigerian? She said she has never met a Nigerian who is honest.

At that time, myself wasn't in Nigeria. I was a student abroad, so that part calmed her down a bit. She even asked for my passport screenshot just to be sure I was Nigerian, a good one. Long story cut short, she told her husband about her catch, me. Another video call, he too asked me all the questions in this world, wondering how lucky they are to find a good Nigerian. Over time, we exchanged mails, calls, as I had to offer support services, we became remote friends. She tried setting me up with her daughter, so that I wont go back to Nigeria. Daughter was the one who told me after we exchanged contacts. Momsi begged me not to go back to Nigeria. Long story, we are still remote friends. Now, my job in their family is to vet the identity of every Nigerian she comes across.........as if all Nigerians know each other.

Last Dec. She called me to tell me bout Tunde the school bus driver of her youngest daughter.

16 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by DoctorOlasDesk: 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2022
hostkobo:
A couple of years back, I did a remote job via a freelance website for a client in the US. It was for a Joomla website. From beginning to end, all communication /update was via mail. I got the job done, prepared video tutorials, pdf tutorials, etc. Job was like for 3-4 months. The end-user, a she, was so happy, she wrote a long mail to me, expressing her gratitude for my professionalism, clarity etc. She said she would like working with me, etc. She made payments via Paypal, and then requested a video call to see my face at the end of the job.

During the video call, she asked my nationality, and that is where wahala started. She mentioned that if she knew I was Nigerian, she would have not given me the job.

She actually didn't believe I was Nigerian. She asked over and over again if I have another nationality, etc; that "why have you been so nice and polite? I never knew I was exchanging emails with a Nigerian; why are you so well mannered? are you sure you are Nigerian? Are your parents Nigerian? She said she has never met a Nigerian who is honest.

At that time, myself wasn't in Nigeria. I was a student abroad, so that part calmed her down a bit. She even asked for my passport screenshot just to be sure I was Nigerian, a good one. Long story cut short, she told her husband about her catch, me. Another video call, he too asked me all the questions in this world, wondering how lucky they are to find a good Nigerian. Over time, we exchanged mails, calls, as I had to offer support services, we became remote friends. She tried setting me up with her daughter, so that I wont go back to Nigeria. Daughter was the one who told me after we exchanged contacts. Momsi begged me not to go back to Nigeria. Long story, we are still remote friends. Now, my job in their family is to vet the identity of every Nigerian she comes across.........as if all Nigerians know each other.

Last Dec. She called me to tell me bout Tunde the school bus driver of her youngest daughter.

Great job mate. Now, this is what i'm talking about. Over-delivering in a way and manner that shocks them to the spine that after the experience, they'll be seeking to find us in people. You did a perfect job brother.

Why you nor marry the chick na? Make you kuku collect the whole bag grin

Anyway, I once exchanged 107 emails with an American who was as shocked as this one. The client said he couldn't believe that throughout the 107 email exchanges, there wasn't a single grmamatical flaw. And the expressions were top-notch.

If we increase our value, we will attract the clients who may consider us worthy..

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Brian47(m): 3:53pm On Mar 23, 2022
Somebody suggest me online jobs na.
Its like commenter here know a lot.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by planetx: 3:57pm On Mar 23, 2022
hostkobo:

Why overindulging that bloody racist, should have told her to take a hike. Learn to have some dignity and how to put this bloody racists in their place. And you are proud your job in their family is to vet Nigerians for them, you must suffer from a serious lack of esteem and self worth.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Awoleesu(m): 3:58pm On Mar 23, 2022
superior1:

Your friend lied. No international organization will discriminate based on nationality and openly declare so. Didn’t say it can’t happen but they would never say it happened.

I have worked internationally for a decade

There are connotative ways of turning one down on such jobs. For example, as a remote copywriter/editor, a client may specify that their jobs are strictly for "Native English Speakers". Now, what that implies is that regardless how good or proficient you are in the English language, you aren't good enough for the job!

Pray tell, what further admittance to discrimination could be worse than that?

So, yes! The OP's friend may not have lied!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Emma4real333(m): 4:06pm On Mar 23, 2022
I need online job seriously
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by BarrElChapo(m): 4:10pm On Mar 23, 2022
Akinsete19:
Yes, I remembered working for a popular Canadian website community with over 200,000 members as an SEO expert. I worked 2 to 3 hrs per day from Monday to Friday, and I was paid $200 per week back then. The CEO complained that he can't pay a Nigerian that much because the minimum wage in Nigeria was barely $70. He later terminates the job after 2 weeks because he feels I am earning too much as a Nigerian.

What
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by mindtricks: 4:11pm On Mar 23, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Immediately Buhari won the election 2015, I upped my game cause i knew 1985 disaster was coming. I thank him for giving me the motivation I needed. I owe my present state to the motivation he learnt me. Na him be my mentor cheesy

Bad omen turned good luck.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by DoctorOlasDesk: 4:15pm On Mar 23, 2022
mindtricks:

Bad omen turned good luck.

Indeed. I'm a work horse. I do my shii
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by gorgeousnogo(f): 4:21pm On Mar 23, 2022
Me.. I'm still looking for who will mentor me. I am yet to get any single remote job after trying since last year ��
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by niel63(m): 4:24pm On Mar 23, 2022
Yes na...

Recently, the new thing na for them to dey talk about tax and how it works in Nigeria and how it affects your payment.
Mehn... different silly reasons undecided

Anyways we continue to dey press on
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2022
Nigerian youths have lost so many remote opportunities, no thanks to YAHOO BOYS. This is what the youth should expend their energies to redeem Nigeria image internationally. Unfortunately, some youths will spend hours online shouting IPOB or AFONJA.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Effulgent(m): 4:43pm On Mar 23, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:
I lost out on a $1200 per week job few months ago because i mentioned the word, Nigeria. I was supposed to earn roughly $5,000 monthly and the project was to continue for a year plus. I eminently qualified for it cause I met all the requirements they sought for.

It happens we move. I ended up getting a replacement with the same figure sha. Today I work with three major firms, One an Asian firm and two American firms. With the quality of projects I've pushed over the past year with them, they will never hire a non-Nigerian again. I made sure i over-deliver with every project to reinforce this narrative

what do you do
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by hostkobo(m): 4:50pm On Mar 23, 2022
planetx:
Why overindulging that bloody racist, should have told her to take a hike. Learn to have some dignity and how to put this bloody racists in their place. And you are proud your job in their family is to vet Nigerians for them, you must suffer from a serious lack of esteem and self worth.

No. Its because I know who I am and I'll rather positively change the Nigerian reputation narrative whenever and wherever I can.
Not all of them oyinbos are racist, some are ignorant and a whole lot have had bad experiences with Africans, one out if every 3 is a Nigerian.

You can bet that the same way she tells me of Nigerians she meets is the same way she will tell those Nigerians or Africans about me.

If I didn't present myself very well, both technically, professionally and otherwise, do you think I would have been able to sustain the relationship? It would have ended after the initial contact. The good relationship I built has open doors upon doors of referral opportunities, just by someone putting a positive word out there.

I think we the young ones should strive to change the narrative regarding the Nigerian reputation through our actions.

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Eastcoastboy(m): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2022
ohosi4real:
Yes, UN job just because I hold Nigeria international passport and country of origin Nigeria.

How did you apply?
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Eastcoastboy(m): 5:07pm On Mar 23, 2022
Akinsete19:
Yes, I remembered working for a popular Canadian website community with over 200,000 members as an SEO expert. I worked 2 to 3 hrs per day from Monday to Friday, and I was paid $200 per week back then. The CEO complained that he can't pay a Nigerian that much because the minimum wage in Nigeria was barely $70. He later terminates the job after 2 weeks because he feels I am earning too much as a Nigerian.

Good evening please. Can I contact you via this SEO job? Like I want to learn.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Eastcoastboy(m): 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:
I lost out on a $1200 per week job few months ago because i mentioned the word, Nigeria. I was supposed to earn roughly $5,000 monthly and the project was to continue for a year plus. I eminently qualified for it cause I met all the requirements they sought for.

It happens we move. I ended up getting a replacement with the same figure sha. Today I work with three major firms, One an Asian firm and two American firms. With the quality of projects I've pushed over the past year with them, they will never hire a non-Nigerian again. I made sure i over-deliver with every project to reinforce this narrative

What's this job all about boss?
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Eastcoastboy(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2022
SmartyPants:

JP Morgan will never write you an email and tell you that they rejected you because you are Nigerian. Never!

At best they might say they are recruiting only US-based writers.

I have clients literally on every single continent and never once has my nationality been an issue. Because my work speaks for itself.

I have been doing this for almost 10 years btw.

Boss please, what's this job all about. If it's what I can do I'm willing to learn please.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Eastcoastboy(m): 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Please what were you doing. How did you get the job?
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by Caleycashh: 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2022
BigDawsNet:

We can't save ourselves if we continue to fold our hands while the government self-service on the future of Nigerian citizens
Exactly!
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by planetx: 5:33pm On Mar 23, 2022
hostkobo:

No. Its because I know who I am and I'll rather positively change the Nigerian reputation narrative whenever and wherever I can.
Not all of them oyinbos are racist, some are ignorant and a whole lot have had bad experiences with Africans, one out if every 3 is a Nigerian.

You can bet that the same way she tells me of Nigerians she meets is the same way she will tell those Nigerians or Africans about me.

If I didn't present myself very well, both technically, professionally and otherwise, do you think I would have been able to sustain the relationship? It would have ended after the initial contact. The good relationship I built has open doors upon doors of referral opportunities, just by someone putting a positive word out there.

I think we the young ones should strive to change the narrative regarding the Nigerian reputation through our actions.
Rubbish...you are a oyinbo ass licker. Talking about she would have never given you the job if she knew you were Nigerian, I bet you she as never had a negative experience with a Nigerian before just bullshitting you. I know them very well, she is nothing but a bloody coded racist, you are just their token negro. She is patronizing you by telling you that you are different from all those bad negros. She is actually insulting you, but you are too dumb to realize. I would told her to take a hike and go to hell with her job.
Re: Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. by anayolity: 5:59pm On Mar 23, 2022
planetx:
Rubbish you are a oyinbo ass licker. Talking about she would have never given you the job if she knew you were Nigerian, I bet you she as never had a negative experience with a Nigerian before just bullshitting you. I know them very well, she is nothing but a bloody coded racist, you are just their token negro. She is patronizing you by telling you that you are different from all those bad negros. She is actually insulting you, but you are too dumb to realize. I would told her to take a hike and go to hell with her job.

Don't be silly Bro, you're using the white man's phone, wearing his clothes, riding his cars, to even make it worse speaking his English and basking in his education and you come here to blab over what's not.

If I have had a bad experience with an Indian before I will be skeptical about a second encounter with one from same region .

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

WAEC Recruitment, June 2015 (http://www.waecheadquartersgh.org) / KCA Deutag: Graduate Operations Engineer 2014 / Apply For The Barclays Africa Graduate Programme 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.